"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited May 2017 Posts: 17,352
    Couldn't give a monkeys about any of that gilded top-flight stuff today.

My team survived in the football league yesterday thanks to a last minute goal. Drama is not the word. We were 15 points behind Hartlepool not so long ago, and managed to overhaul them when all thought we were goners.

The atmosphere was magical, the intensity painful, the emotions all over the place, but we did it. Well done Newport County. Sympathies to Jeff Stelling and Hartlepool.

Congratulations! Relegation battles are always something special. Must feel good to secure a place in the very last minutes :-)

Much needed win today. With this season, any win is a good reason to be happy. I just want to look forward to next season, whatever that may bring. Soon on to a real Norwegian "classic", with Rosenborg home against Brann. How many yellow or red cards will we see tonight? This is a game where every tackle is just a bit uglier, and the temperature is at it's highest.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well from what started off a shit day that's all turned out pretty nicely.
    Today Feyenoord Rotterdam went for the title in an away game and they lost without any chance with 3-0 which meant that they will have to try again next week and they need a win a draw of losing would give Ajax Amsterdam very unexpectedly a shot a the title and they are defending their shot a the Europa League finale. It is possible for them to become champion on the last day and win the European League which would be a mighty surprising result this season. And yet they may end up with nothing. I would settle with one of the two.
    What a day! Important win for Arsenal, and a 2-1 win for Rosenborg, with the last goal in the last minutes of added time.

Rosenborg got a bit of a strange goal opportunity early in the game, as Brann's keeper - trying to start an attack quickly from the back, threw the ball into the back of one of his own players, with the ball going straight into the feet of Rosenborg's Pål André Helland. He then made a great chip, going straight into the net. Well into the second half Rosenborg was in complete control of the game, until Brann made a goal almost out of nothing, with a kick well outside the box. This was only after Rosenborg's number one keeper, André Hansen, left the field with an injury. Rosenborg still controlled the game after 1-1, but it wasn't until added time that the important second goal came.

A much improved performance from the earliest games of the season, and another three points. Rosenborg now has a six point lead, with a total of nineteen points after seven games played. Lord Bendtner had a good game as well. No goals, but he was a creative force up front, making good passes, and making room for his teammates.
    Well done to my Norwich boys on their 4-0 win at home against QPR today to finish the season. Good luck to the 7 players released in their future careers!

R&R now until the stress of the new season approaches in a few months time! Lol!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    People give Arsenal crap about where they finish, or their title hopes.
    I think Liverpool might want to rethink joining in. Pot, kettle, black.

Not in the slightest. If Liverpool were in the CL every single season and had the money Arsenal are hoarding then it would be a disgrace if we weren't challenging and only saw the business end of the CL on telly.

Arsenal one of Europe's richest clubs but on the pitch they're not even close. Love how there's so many Arse fans happy to trot out the old 'we're better than Liverpool' defence as a justification. Is that really the level you're aiming at?

Arsenal are an irrelevance to me. It's Real, Barca and Bayern we want to be on a par with. No wonder you're stagnating if your ambition stops at being ahead of a couple of once big clubs in England (although obviously not finishing top - that would be excessive) and Spurs.

Lucky for me I'm a Chelsea fan then.
    I just love how inconsistent Liverpool are year after year. Always gonna win the title. Not quite there yet Haha

Not in the slightest. If Liverpool were in the CL every single season and had the money Arsenal are hoarding then it would be a disgrace if we weren't challenging and only saw the business end of the CL on telly.

Arsenal one of Europe's richest clubs but on the pitch they're not even close. Love how there's so many Arse fans happy to trot out the old 'we're better than Liverpool' defence as a justification. Is that really the level you're aiming at?

Arsenal are an irrelevance to me. It's Real, Barca and Bayern we want to be on a par with. No wonder you're stagnating if your ambition stops at being ahead of a couple of once big clubs in England (although obviously not finishing top - that would be excessive) and Spurs.

I just love how inconsistent Liverpool are year after year. Always gonna win the title. Not quite there yet Haha

When are we ever going to win the title? We had one fluke year due to the fact we had Suarez when we should've won it but other than that we are superbly consistent - never anywhere close.

Whereas winning it one year, finishing 10th, then winning it again the next year could be labelled inconsistent. Either that or taking the piss out of the club and fans in 2015/16 - I'm no expert.

When are we ever going to win the title? We had one fluke year due to the fact we had Suarez when we should've won it but other than that we are superbly consistent - never anywhere close.

Whereas winning it one year, finishing 10th, then winning it again the next year could be labelled inconsistent. Either that or taking the piss out of the club and fans in 2015/16 - I'm no expert.

They might finish 10th again next season.
    Goodbye Middlesbrough..enjoy the Championship with Sunderland.
    Long way back for Boro from here.

Even further for Spurs mind.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Goodbye Middlesbrough..enjoy the Championship with Sunderland.

Really doesn't look good for Boro now. Could have been much more than 2-0. Only question now, is who'll join Boro and Sunderland in the Championship.
    Chelsea arnt even out of 2nd gear here.......i can see this being 5-0 as happened to Palace with Man City last week.
    Yeah, only interesting thing about this second half will be how many goals Chelsea can put behind Guzan.

Oh! Of the crossbar!
    Yep...its almost a training session..i knew it would be...Boro are just not good enough,end of.
    Yeah, Conte can safely put on a few subs knowing that the title will be theirs.
    ...and still you can hear him shouting instructions. If only Wenger could do that...
    Wenger has been more vocal lately than i have seen for a long time...should be an interesting cup final.
    He should be, given the way the team has been playing! Wonder what team he starts with in the final. If he goes for three in the back, I sure hope Holding is one of them.

...And it's 3-0. Could been so much more.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Confident win against Boro. Respect to Conte for the way he acknowledged Boro players and fans.
    One more game to win!
    Well on the Norwich website, an interview with Stuart Webber (Sporting Director) has intimated that our next Manager I now believe is one of the playoff teams has our new man? Having said that? If said promotion happens to this man and his team? I can't see him coming to us!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Well on the Norwich website, an interview with Stuart Webber (Sporting Director) has intimated that our next Manager I now believe is one of the playoff teams has our new man? Having said that? If said promotion happens to this man and his team? I can't see him coming to us!

Quick Norwich-question: How has Alexander Tettey been this season? He was good for Rosenborg some years back, and I haven't been able to see any Norwich games in a long time. Would be interesting to now how he's been doing in the Championship.

Quick Norwich-question: How has Alexander Tettey been this season? He was good for Rosenborg some years back, and I haven't been able to see any Norwich games in a long time. Would be interesting to now how he's been doing in the Championship.

He has been one of our most reliable players to rely upon, however he has had some injury niggles this season. Has been really good for us since we bought him. Glad he was not one of the 7 players we released this week.
    Jesus Christ. Clowns Jurgen and Pep are going to let Wenger sneak it as usual.

I can see Arsenal winning the rest from here. The other two will drop points. Just depends on how many.
  • RC7RC7

I can see Arsenal winning the rest from here. The other two will drop points. Just depends on how many.

Likely. However, the former have their sights set on the title, which is commendable, even if I hate them. That should be the remit. Arsenal are the Waitrose of football, they look good on Instagram.

He has been one of our most reliable players to rely upon, however he has had some injury niggles this season. Has been really good for us since we bought him. Glad he was not one of the 7 players we released this week.

That's good to hear! Very reliable in his years in Rosenborg, and a player many fans would welcome back. He just recently quit the national team, which may help his injuries next season.

Not sure about that. At times solid, but - like most of the season, without being impressive. That Stoke game will be difficult, and the home game against Everton can be a challenge as well.

Jesus.

'Bouncing on my knee' going to go down as a classic quote. Becks whining about not getting a knighthood but he looks nailed on for a Razzie!

Calling it now - this will do dismal business just like every Guy Ritchie film since Snatch (Sherlock Holmes the exception and that's only because Downey Jnr was shit hot at the time). How does he keep getting given big budgets?
  • RC7RC7
    No idea Wiz. The guy is pish. The fact some fans think he's a legit option to helm a Bond makes me want to staple their balls to a cinema seat, prise their eyes open, and make them watch his back catalogue on loop. He's the Peter Andre of directing.
    Two grandstand finishes in the Europa semis but tragically neither Lyon nor Celta could finish it off.

it was there for Celta in the 96th minute as well. Just shoot FFS!
    Interesting to see who'll be the better team: Ajax or United. My money's on Ajax, but in a final, anything can happen.
  • RC7RC7
    Interesting to see who'll be the better team: Ajax or United. My money's on Ajax, but in a final, anything can happen.

Bookies still have United as favourites. Ajax around 4/1. Depends which United team turns up. Could go either way.
    RC7 wrote: »

Bookies still have United as favourites. Ajax around 4/1. Depends which United team turns up. Could go either way.

It really can. A game to watch, for sure!