"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

That felt so good. Handball by Crouch didn't destroy the game, and a good performance from the whole team. Wish I could write that last bit more often.
  • RC7RC7
    Isn't this just classic end of season Arsenal, though? I can see how it's appealing, but on a serious note, do any Gooners seriously think you can compete next season? As an outsider all I can see is Groundhog Day. Finishing outside the top 4 might be the best thing that can happen to you, because you've been swerving a reality check for the best part of a decade.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 17,302
    Well, yes. Nothing about this season is good, really. Does Wenger stay, or does he go? As Ian Wright has talked about: a lot of the trouble isn't just on Wenger, but also on the board, and what they've done (or more correctly haven't done).

The only good thing about the possible top four, is maybe (and that's a big maybe) that they can attract players that won't come to the club unless there's CL to play for. Still, there is a lot of uncertainty around the club that needs to be sorted out.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    We've royally spunked this.

Arsenal have got their usual last 5 games championship form when there's nothing to play for mojo going and we're just about treading water but taking massive gulps of water. It's debatable will we get over the line before we drown.

Can see Arsenal taking maximum points but can't see us doing that. Could come down to how many can we score against Boro at Anfield and as everyone is aware a shit team coming to Anfield is a guarantee Liverpool will drop points.

West Ham relaxed and nothing to play for and we have already proved we can't handle pressure. Can't see us winning tomorrow the way we're playing.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Isn't this just classic end of season Arsenal, though? I can see how it's appealing, but on a serious note, do any Gooners seriously think you can compete next season? As an outsider all I can see is Groundhog Day. Finishing outside the top 4 might be the best thing that can happen to you, because you've been swerving a reality check for the best part of a decade.

Apparantely for next season we are being given a £200 million pound war-chest.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

Apparantely for next season we are being given a £200 million pound war-chest.

Good, but now we need to know what happens on the managerial side, and if there is any truth to the "catalyst for change" talk from Ivan Gazidis.
    Great win by Liverpool and good to see sturridge back.
    The epl season has gone by so fast, hasn't it ?
    So, back to the Championship ...
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    So, back to the Championship ...

Unlucky my friend, my team had that happen the season before!
    Can someone please explain to me how the TV rights work?

I thought you bid for a set package of matches? If that's the case why have Sky saved up their allocation to show every single match going in the last 10 days of the season?

Or two weeks ago did they shell out an extra bit to show every game as the season came to a climax? Or is it part of the bid you state that we want to show all of the top four's games when it gets to a month left of the season?

Either way they've horribly misjudged it as the City and Arse games tomorrow aside, they're all dead rubbers.
  • RC7RC7
    Can someone please explain to me how the TV rights work?

I thought you bid for a set package of matches? If that's the case why have Sky saved up their allocation to show every single match going in the last 10 days of the season?

Or two weeks ago did they shell out an extra bit to show every game as the season came to a climax? Or is it part of the bid you state that we want to show all of the top four's games when it gets to a month left of the season?

Either way they've horribly misjudged it as the City and Arse games tomorrow aside, they're all dead rubbers.

I'll be honest I've not looked into it, but I was under the impression BT used up their allocation, leaving Sky with the scraps.
    Agreed everything has been pretty much been decided in the Premiership, I have cancelled my Sky sports until August now I only watch it for football I am not interested in any of the remaining games.

And how do we feel about the past two or three weeks where there's been pretty much a game a night?

Would we like to see this rolled out across this season? Is Saturday still sacrosanct or is TV the biggest motivating factor?

Do we want to end up like baseball in the US where it's literally on every night?
    Man Utd crack me up..
    Van Gahl sold Michael Keane to Burnley for £2m ,and now its been confirmed that Man Utd are definately interested in re-signing him,but it will cost £24-25million !!!!
    Man Utd crack me up..
    Van Gahl sold Michael Keane to Burnley for £2m ,and now its been confirmed that Man Utd are definately interested in re-signing him,but it will cost £24-25million !!!!

Cheap compared to Pogba. Sell for 1.5M buy back for 89M
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2017 Posts: 10,512
    Man Utd crack me up..

It's United. If Everton wanted to sign him he'd be £10-15m. On the subject of defenders I saw Liverpool had valued Sakho at £30m, the absolute lack of shame is genuinely enviable.
    25M is the price Burnley are quoting generally per the press
    vzok wrote: »
    Man Utd crack me up..

Cheap compared to Pogba. Sell for 1.5M buy back for 89M

Indeed.
    Meanwhile at Arsenal, there is still rumours about Sead Kolašinac joining on free transfer from Schalke. Wish I knew more about the Bundesliga, and how good a player he is.
    Well we desperately need a left back,Gibbs isnt good enough and Monreal blows hot and cold,although he has played well lately.
    Well we desperately need a left back,Gibbs isnt good enough and Monreal blows hot and cold,although he has played well lately.

True. Read somewhere that Kolašinac previously played as a centre-back or a defensive midfielder for Schalke. Not bad to have a player who can fill several positions. Bet Wenger like to not pay for a transfer as well.
    A 'Free' sounds good to me.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    My favourite team RSC Anderlecht just became champions of Belgium for the 34th time!
    Congratulations...!!!
    Good team, Anderlecht! How is the quality of the rest of the Belgian First Division A-teams these days, @GoldenGun ? Not particularly up to date on the Belgian league.
    We are lucky Kane is English Leicester destroyed, I know it's a dead rubber though Kane can score goals.
    Interested to see who finish's in the top 4 this weekend?!!!
    I think Liverpool will pip Arsenal though Liverpool are fully capable of messing it up, it should be interesting.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Good team, Anderlecht! How is the quality of the rest of the Belgian First Division A-teams these days, @GoldenGun ? Not particularly up to date on the Belgian league.
    Historically Anderlecht is a big name in Europe with 5 European titles on their tally, though sadly that's all in the past.

Currently our league is ranked 9th of Europe on the UEFA rankings. That's just below Portugal and Ukraine but better than countries like Turkey and Netherlands.

Nevertheless this year we had two quarterfinalists in the Europa League and last year we had a team in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Nowhere near the "Big Five" but the top teams can be quite solid in European competitions.
  • GBFGBF
    The problem that teams like Anderlecht and Ajax Amsterdam have is that the quality of national leagues become more important for overall success and that the exposure of a certain league -say the Premier League - lead to an extreme divergence between financial opportunities... Hence those teams I mentioned are hardly competitive in the CL.