"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Not sure what to take from this... Celta have been shadow of the team they were earlier this season, yet they came this close to knocking out United. Are Celta returning to form or are simply United that poor? Gives me some hope that Celta can help in screwing up Real Madrids title hopes in La Liga. Who knows...
  • RC7RC7
    United have been dreadful at home all season. The threat of an away goal changed the dynamic from about 60 mins and Celta had their tails up.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    jobo wrote: »
    Not sure what to take from this... Celta have been shadow of the team they were earlier this season, yet they came this close to knocking out United. Are Celta returning to form or are simply United that poor? Gives me some hope that Celta can help in screwing up Real Madrids title hopes in La Liga. Who knows...

Utd really are that poor.

You keep thinking they are going to get found out but they keep getting away with it.

Hopefully Bailly being out will be decisive but you have to hand it to Jose - he knows how to get over the line. Utd have been utterly abject when you compare them with some of the stuff Spurs have been playing but they're odds on to end the season with two trophies and CL football whereas Spurs will just get CL football so who's had the better season?
  • RC7RC7

Utd really are that poor.

You keep thinking they are going to get found out but they keep getting away with it.

Hopefully Bailly being out will be decisive but you have to hand it to Jose - he knows how to get over the line. Utd have been utterly abject when you compare them with some of the stuff Spurs have been playing but they're odds on to end the season with two trophies and CL football whereas Spurs will just get CL football so who's had the better season?

Exactly.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    UNITED have scraped to the Europa final through attrition and got lucky, thankfully we are playing away in the final. Uniteds home form is shocking

Though as I am a United fan I'll back them

Jesus.

'Bouncing on my knee' going to go down as a classic quote. Becks whining about not getting a knighthood but he looks nailed on for a Razzie!

Calling it now - this will do dismal business just like every Guy Ritchie film since Snatch (Sherlock Holmes the exception and that's only because Downey Jnr was shit hot at the time). How does he keep getting given big budgets?

As much as I love Becks, I cannot keep a straight face when I watched that clip!
    0-1 Chelsea with less than 10 minutes to go. Congratulations on the title, Antonio.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Congratulations to Conte because he's been utter class. I thought Italy were the best team in Euro 2016 and were very unlucky with the draw and he's done a fine job tactically at various times during the season especially when you look at the tune he's got out of journeymen like Moses and Alonso.

Less credit to the bulk of Chelsea players who should be celebrating a hatrick of titles if they hadn't shamefully downed tools last season.

Let's hope the FA look into the number of Chelsea fans in the West Brom end and who ran onto the pitch and consider a 3 point deduction?

I'm stuck at work listening on the radio. Presume JT is putting his shin pads on as we speak?
    Congratulations to Chelsea worthy Champions
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 14,899
    _96036632_chelsea_graphic.jpg

Well deserved Champions.

chelsea-celebrate_4vs2ucvnvxah1evi0aywo172f.jpg?t=-24855566&w=620&h=430

Antonio Conte. A great manager.

Blue is the colour. :)
    Watching City - Leicester. Looked very comfortable for City this, and then a brilliant effort by Okazaki. It will be an interesting football weekend!
    Fair play to you Chelsea....Well done Antonio Conte,at least you show spirit.....

I'm not a Chelsea fan by any means but rather them than 'the scum'.
    Fantastic manager, Antonio Conte. It wasn't until that Arsenal match I've seen a bad game with Conte as manager. We all know what happened after that.

From City - Leicester to Rosenborg away against Stabæk. I predict a difficult game this afternoon. Keeper André Hansen on the bench after an injury from last game, and some other injuries as well. Three points today will put further pressure on the teams behind Rosenborg. Maybe we can hope for a Bendtner goal?
    Stoke v Arsenal soon...shit or bust for us....but Stoke do like to kick us off the pitch so im not too confident.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Stoke v Arsenal soon...shit or bust for us....but Stoke do like to kick us off the pitch so im not too confident.

Yeah, not expecting a game with a lot of beautiful football today. Looks like Mike Dean is the ref tonight.
    Mike Dean ?

OK,could be a worse ref...i just hope Ozil toughens up,he will need to.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 17,352
    Definitely. Will probably be scenes like this.

23CFBC8C00000578-0-image-m-2_1417889301443.jpg
    Yep..spot on.
  • RC7RC7
    Arsenal need to grow a pair. Too busy instagramming and pretending fourth is a successful season.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Arsenal need to grow a pair. Too busy instagramming and pretending fourth is a successful season.

I love my club @RC7 but when you grow up with Adams/Viera/Wright/Petit etc ,i have to agree with you.

I love my club @RC7 but when you grow up with Adams/Viera/Wright/Petit etc ,i have to agree with you.

The first game I can remember seeing on tv -not counting a few Rosenborg games, was with Patrick Vieira. Can't remember against who, or how the game ended, but I remember Vieira. What a player! Why can't they just bring the guy back to Arsenal?

The first game I can remember seeing on tv -not counting a few Rosenborg games, is with Patrick Vieira. Can't remember against who, or how the game ended, but I remember Vieira. What a player! Why can't they just bring the guy back to Arsenal?

Agreed..Man City have him .
    Horrible game by Rosenborg. Didn't manage to produce much over 90 minutes. Only the last 10 could be called OK. Still, they managed to get 1 point out of this game, and are alone on top with 20 points with 8 games played - unbeaten as well.

Not the best starting eleven I think. Would have liked to see the subs come on earlier, which probably could have made the game look a bit different.

Now on to Stoke - Arsenal. Really not looking forward to this one, but I have to see it. That's football, I guess.
    Horrible game by Rosenborg. Didn't manage to produce much over 90 minutes. Only the last 10 could be called OK. Still, they managed to get 1 point out of this game, and are alone on top with 20 points with 8 games played - unbeaten as well.

Not the best starting eleven I think. Would have liked to see the subs come on earlier, which probably could have made the game look a bit different.

Now on to Stoke - Arsenal. Really not looking forward to this one, but I have to see it. That's football, I guess.

Were there one single Norwegian player on that Stabæk team? Only african names as far as I could see. And yet they blame Rosenborg for buying players from elsewhere. Well, well...

It is however disappointing that our sole game plan, at least the only remotely succesfull one today, consists of piling the ball long for one of the attackers to win or run at. One would expect a more sophisticated brand of football from us by now...

At least Andre Hansen was not missed today. Maybe we will have a new first choice goalkeeper for the rest of the season?

Were there one single Norwegian player on that Stabæk team? Only african names as far as I could see. And yet they blame Rosenborg for buying players from elsewhere. Well, well...

It is however disappointing that our sole game plan, at least the only remotely succesfull one today, consists of piling the ball long for one of the attackers to win or run at. One would expect a more sophisticated brand of football from us by now...

At least Andre Hansen was not missed today. Maybe we will have a new first choice goalkeeper for the rest of the season?

Østbø was great today. Man of the match, really. Rosenborg must improve a lot from this. At home against Tromsø would be just the game to show that.
    Congratulations to Chelsea and Antonio Conte for clinching their Premier League title last night!
    ALA GIROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDD !!!!!!!!
  • RC7RC7

Exactly. The United-Arsenal games back in those days were proper blood and thunder.
    ALA GIROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDD !!!!!!!!

Love it when Giroud scores! So much talk about him not being good enough, but he really is important.

EDIT: Also love it when Mesut Özil scores!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Arsenal would've appeared to grown a pair against Stoke. Well played Gunners