Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• edited January 2014 Posts: 1,595
    I don't know if any of those are particularly unpopular opinions. Anyways welcome to the forums! (It seems you're new).
    @pajan005
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Pajan005 wrote:
    I know QoS has many problems, I truly understand why people say it's bad. I just can't hate the film.
    It's my favourite 21st Century Bond movie so far.
    :)>-
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Pajan005 wrote:
    I know QoS has many problems, I truly understand why people say it's bad. I just can't hate the film.

It's my favorite Bond film released in 2008.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

:-? I should flag this non-controversial opinion...
    :)) jk
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2014 Posts: 10,512
    chrisisall wrote:
    Pajan005 wrote:

This was released in 2008. You may want to revise your opinion.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Diamonds are Forever is not a sequel to OHMSS, It's a prequel to it. After Blofeld escapes and detonates the Volcano, Bond begins a frantic search for him. As seen in the opening shot of DAF as Bond attacks some random henchmen in Japan.
    Here's one:

Moore's best performance isn't in TMWTGG, it's in Octopussy.
  • Here's one:

I would probably agree with this. I think regardless those are his best two performances.

Here's one:

Id agree with that (for me it's a toss up between that and FYEO). He seems too rigid in Golden Gun.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't know if any of those are particularly unpopular opinions. Anyways welcome to the forums! (It seems you're new).
    @pajan005

Thank you.
  • Here's one:

It's definitely not in TMWTGG. That's one of his weakest, since he's trying and failing to imitate Connery. His best performance comes somewhere between The Spy Who Loved Me and OP, although it's tough to say just which is the best.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Here's one:

I agree. Although from Spy to OP Sir Rog is pretty great in all them.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Here's one:

Absolutely!
    TMWTGG is his worst, IMO. He was asked to play a Bond he was uncomfortable with. And it shows. Moore looked about as happy to be there as Connery in YOLT.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Here's one:

Absolutely!
    TMWTGG is his worst, IMO. He was asked to play a Bond he was uncomfortable with. And it shows. Moore looked about as happy to be there as Connery in YOLT.

Or Sellers in CR.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My favourite Moore performance is in OP and MR to be frank. I'd list them as follows:

1) OP
    2) MR
    3) FYEO
    4) TSWLM
    5) AVTAK
    6) LALD
    7) Boat Trip ;-)
    8) TMWTGG
    DarthDimi wrote:
    My favourite Moore performance is in OP and MR to be frank. I'd list them as follows:

1) OP
    2) MR
    3) FYEO
    4) TSWLM
    5) AVTAK
    6) LALD
    7) Boat Trip ;-)
    8) TMWTGG

I'd agree with that list, although I'd have the top 4 in a slightly different order.
    I would list it like this.

1)FYEO
    2)OP
    3)TSWLM
    4)MR
    5)AVTAK
    6)TMWTGG
    7)LALD
    This is how I would rank the Connery performances

1) FRWL
    2) GF
    3) TB
    4) DN
    5) YOLT
    6) NSNA
    7) DAF

The part in DAF when he says "bitch" to Tiffany always cracks me up.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm trying to think of something Bond did that was more stupid than bringing M to SF manor whilst deliberately allowing Silva to follow/find him.
    doubleoego wrote:
    I'm trying to think of something Bond did that was more stupid than bringing M to SF manor whilst deliberately allowing Silva to follow/find him.

Driving a BMW down on a pedestrian street by remote in TND?
    Sneaking out of his room once too often in OHMSS?
    Robbing Solitaire of her special gift that could have helped them later?
    Aiding islamist thugs in TLD?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,350
    As Silva was tracking Bond's car, he would have found M wherever Bond left her, it was a lose-lose situation. Bond wanted him to find M and he did.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,396
    doubleoego wrote:

But that's just slightly harsh. They were our allies back in the 80's when the common enemy was the Soviet Union.

And incidentally, who do you think trained and supplied these "thugs" with weapons?
    doubleoego wrote:

But that's just slightly harsh. They were our allies back in the 80's when the common enemy was the Soviet Union.

And incidentally, who do you think trained and supplied these "thugs" with weapons?

I know, Saudi Arabia and the US. Glad they are so much better off down there now thanks to our help.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    doubleoego wrote:

That was a crap move on Bonds part but I've always thought driving the motorbike off the cliff in GE was the stupidest decision he ever made. He turned out alright in the end but what were the chances of him actually catching the plane?

It also annoys me because in Die Another Day, he doesn't jump into the falls to escape, even though he'd have a much better chance of surviving than in GE (Moon managed it after all).

I suppose it's probably down to an adrenaline rush, something he did in the heat of the moment because it was his only chance but he didn't really think it through (like jumping onto the hot air balloon in TWINE, jumping onto the truck in TLD, etc).

Another stupid decision: chasing the bomb maker. Never understood why Bond didn't just shoot the bomb maker in the leg early on. Once he started doing the parkour stuff Bond must've known that he'd never catch him so injuring him and taking him in would've been his best chance.
    Here's a controversial opinion: the shot in Goldeneye with Bond looking over the dam preparing to jump is better than the Skyfall opening shot.

I'm comparing the two of them because everyone seems to think the SF opening shot was better than the gunbarrel but I really don't think it was anything special, and the GE shot has always stood out to me as a brilliant moment.

And, I think I've mentioned this before: I think that the opening of QOS is better than SF and unlike SF, actually benefits from not having the gunbarrel.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

It also annoys me because in Die Another Day, he doesn't jump into the falls to escape, even though he'd have a much better chance of surviving than in GE (Moon managed it after all).

Good point, never thought of it that way. Still, I tend to switch off me brain when watching DAD anyway...

I always annoyed me during QoS Bond does not tell M that he did not, in fact, kill the special branch agent. It would have saved him a shed load of trouble later on, and it would take 2-3 secs at best!

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Here's a controversial opinion: the shot in Goldeneye with Bond looking over the dam preparing to jump is better than the Skyfall opening shot.

I'm comparing the two of them because everyone seems to think the SF opening shot was better than the gunbarrel but I really don't think it was anything special, and the GE shot has always stood out to me as a brilliant moment.

And, I think I've mentioned this before: I think that the opening of QOS is better than SF and unlike SF, actually benefits from not having the gunbarrel.

The lack of a gunbarrel didn't irritate me in SF because I enjoyed how it opened, but I agree on all the other fronts. That shot in GE is perfection in my eyes, and I think the near-deaf opening of QoS is great, as it kicks up a little louder and then just blasts your ears with the revving engines and intense car chase. I love it.
    royale65 wrote:

Good point, never thought of it that way. Still, I tend to switch off me brain when watching DAD anyway...

I always annoyed me during QoS Bond does not tell M that he did not, in fact, kill the special branch agent. It would have saved him a shed load of trouble later on, and it would take 2-3 secs at best!

I always assumed it's because Bond thought he HAD killed him when he pushed him off the roof.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Samuel001 wrote:
    As Silva was tracking Bond's car, he would have found M wherever Bond left her, it was a lose-lose situation. Bond wanted him to find M and he did.

But had Bond placed her somewhere before switching to the AM, Silva wouldn't have found her. Heck, as much as she protested, M would have been safer in the garage where the AM was locked up. Bond wanting Silva to find M is just madness. Her death could have been completely avoidable. Bond could have lured Silva out to Scotland with M nicely tucked away in London. Silva only saw M when she was out in the Marshlands and even then he assumed it was her even though he was right. He actually didn't see her properly until he got to the chapel. Anyway, I just hope Bond 24 doesn't have such dumb plotting, with the cast and crew raving about how brilliant the script is.

What I find interesting about SF is that Bond failed. He managed to kill Silva but he was about to die with M anyway and Silva's only goal was to kill M, he would've stopped after that.

You could say he got the list back but that was all Silva's plan anyway. In the end, Bond didn't accomplish anything that wouldn't have happened without him. He may as well have let Silva kill M at the court house, that way he would've spared Kincade a lot of trouble and would've been able to keep his Aston Martin :P