"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Of course. Like any Bond film, it is entertaining and watchable...just. It is my least favourite (and probably always will), but there are some genuinely good scenes. Poor film, poor Bond film. An entertaining film? Yes.
    Personally I don't find DAD dull like I do DAF. However some of the scenes it contains are undoubtably some of the worst in the whole series.
  • DAD is a fun movie, it isn't meant to be taken seriously. I view it almost as a comic book adventure. It's a popcorn flick that doesn't fit with reality.
  • Die another day is shit
    jamez007 wrote:
    Die another day is shit

Come out and say it,dont hold back .

8-|
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    DAD is a fun movie, it isn't meant to be taken seriously.

Have you heard Pierce's quote about DAD being "the most reality based film they've done so far?

It sounds as if the film was pitched as a fairly serious flick.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He probably trusted Tamahori on this. Either that or he had a headache.
    In answer to the OP's question:

No. No it really isn't.

That is all.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,691
    He probably trusted Tamahori on this. Either that or he had a headache.

Hahahahah! Yeah, he was very optimistic here.

Seriously though, you could have given ME everything to work with, same script, sets, actors, and I would have turned out a VERY different looking movie. Even little things like making the invisible car imperfect, like a shadowy blur, demanding some reworking of the CGI stunts, showing Graves looking as his face in a mirror as if he's looking at a stranger... asking Berry to tone down the 'Yo Momma" 'tude...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,929
    jamez007 wrote:
    Die another day is shit
    James Bond is British.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Have you heard Pierce's quote about DAD being "the most reality based film they've done so far?
    Still delirious from the scorpion venom, no doubt.
    chrisisall wrote:
    demanding some reworking of the CGI stunts,
    Yes, 'reworking' as in put the bloody sound stage to use for making indoor waves. You know, the one they built to simulate an entire ocean with decades back.
    chrisisall wrote:
    showing Graves looking as his face in a mirror as he's looking at a stranger...
    That's a good one. I can imagine him sneering at his reflection, while modelling himself on Bond's unjustifiable swagger.
    chrisisall wrote:
    asking Berry to tone down the 'Yo Momma" 'tude...
    Hey, that was uncalled for. Yo' mama would be really disappointed in you.
    I don't want to urinate all over this appreciation of DAD but there is one thing that eats at me in regard to DAD
    WTF WOULD ANYONE NEED AN INVISIBLE CAR?
    That had to be the most useless and most riduculous gadget ever. Not even Maxwell Smart or Matt Helm could come up with this.
    An invisible car, aside from being scientifically impossible, such a contraption would be a danger to it's driver and other drivers on the road. YOU CAN'T SEE IT. How you gonna avoid running into it and causing a pileup?
    And take the thing to Iceland? That vehicle leaves neat tracks in the snow, and it can only be driven in perfect weather. Fog, rain, snow, any weather condition would render the invisibility useless. Even dirt would show up on that friggin thing.

I will be nice and stop my rant.
    Appreciation?
    The sword fight
    Halle Berry looks good in a bikini
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2014 Posts: 10,512
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I don't want to urinate all over this appreciation of DAD but there is one thing that eats at me in regard to DAD
    WTF WOULD ANYONE NEED AN INVISIBLE CAR?

Comes in pretty handy if you want to get away with using that perennially vacant, disabled parking bay.

edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    An invisible car, aside from being scientifically impossible, such a contraption would be a danger to it's driver and other drivers on the road. YOU CAN'T SEE IT. How you gonna avoid running into it and causing a pileup?
    Just a small note here- I used to drive a motorcycle, and I took off the reflectors I legally could, and painted the non-black parts black because I DIDN'T want to be seen, especially at night. Because, the rule of thumb is, they DON'T see you anyway, and if they DO, they'll unconsciously try to hit you. I never got hit. An invisible car driven like that would be fine. ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In regards to the invisible car, I think the only cool scene that came from it is when James activates it to back up and let Zao plow through the hotel into the floor below. Other than that, it's cringe-worthy.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    In regards to the invisible car, I think the only cool scene that came from it is when James activates it to back up and let Zao plow through the hotel into the floor below. Other than that, it's cringe-worthy.
    Yeah. It really needed a reality check in terms of overall execution...
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Yeah. It really needed a reality check in terms of overall execution...

I think when Bond tells Q that he's been down in the tubes too long, Q should've just chuckled, agreed, and taken him to his real, non-invisible car.
    Compared to the other crap in the film i think the invisable car is pretty minor.
    Cleese Q was a genius, you must admit. Llewellyn could never have come up with something like that. Cleese and Brosnan should have stayed, we might have gotten teleportation or time travel in the next one. :))
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,929
    Cleese Q was a genius, you must admit. Llewellyn could never have come up with something like that. Cleese and Brosnan should have stayed, we might have gotten teleportation or time travel in the next one. :))
    And debunk a solid codename theory? NEVER! ;)

Also, if Cleese Q was truly clever, he would've given poor old 007 a pair of special noise-cancelling earphones tuned to Jinx and Kil's voice signature.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 4,421
    Creasy47 wrote:

I think when Bond tells Q that he's been down in the tubes too long, Q should've just chuckled, agreed, and taken him to his real, non-invisible car.

Damn yes! Just an empty cart with nothing on it...

Btw, Pierce said he and Tamahori knew the same people... Is dear, old Pierce a closet transvestite?
    @royale65, I can see where they thought it would be an interesting introduction, but it's one of the many problems in the film. I wish they would've gone any other route. Then you have films like GE where Bond gets a standard car/gadgets and barely even uses them.
    I actually think the first act is pretty good, even through the Cuba stuff, but that horrible CG dive off the cliff and everything after that was just awful.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited March 2014 Posts: 2,635
    A few days ago, I've made to watch Die Another Day again... Well...

I didn't see any piece of it since 2007, so I barely remembered a lot of stuff, but... Yes, Something I didn't expect to say. I got to admit it. It is not that bad.

The very great aspects of the film are: The beggining - except for the 14 months part

The Cuba bit,

the invisible car EXPLANATION ("Tiny cameras on every side of the car projects the image They see in the opposite side with the help of the light of the day... For the casual eye it's as good as invisible" - Resumed explanation by Q),

The whole sword fighting scene,

My re-envision of Miranda's being an MI-6 rogue agent which is a clear remindscence for Alec Trevelyan,

The surfing ski scene (Yes... I'll admit i found it well thought, not THAT GREAT, but a normal scene - like GE's bungee jump),

The ice chase which is my favourite moment, yes,

The Icarus' attack in the US base,

Bond and Graves' fight.

I didn't quote Jinx, because... Well, yes. She was totally expendable.

I am one of the guys who did make sure of disliking DAD for many reasons, but watching it again made me change my point of views. We could easily see this as a kinda futuristic Bond film, since there are so many factors pushing DAD to it. wouldn't think that it would happen, but I remade my opinions and now I think that DAD is not a very bad film. It didn't have the same spy feeling that Goldeneye had, but even though now I think that it is... Not that bad.

"You see, Mr. Bond? You can't kill my dreams. But my dreams can kill you."

Fortunately, I can quote him here...
    QBranch wrote:
    Actually [Now] I like when DAD finishes, because that means I can watch it again. :)
    Most of the film feels like fan fiction. A lot of ideas, some good, some bad, put together.
    It feels like a twelve year old wrote it. Just my opinion, of course.
    It feels like a twelve year old wrote it. Just my opinion, of course.

Some stuff is good (the Korean exchange), but yes, the likes of Jinx and Mr Kil feel like they are from a child's imagination.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Something I didn't expect to say. I got to admit it. It is not that bad.
    I hated it for quite a while, and then on my last viewing I has a very similar reaction.
    :)>-
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Parts of it genuinely "aren't that bad", but parts of it are bloody awful.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Parts of it genuinely "aren't that bad", but parts of it are bloody awful.
    Does that not define a number of Bond movies for most here?
    Slide whistle, anyone? Pidgeon? Blofeld in drag?
  • DAD was made in a time of ott, cgi-filled, nonsensical action movies. The popularity of the 007 video games, which were similar to DAD's alleged flaws, certainly motivated the producers to bring the characteristics to the big screen. At the time, people thought the movie was brilliant - not the best but good.

When movies started coming back down to Earth, people complained that DAD was silly and too much. It was made in the time where ott antics were the norm. I doubt the producers intended on DAD being a Goldfinger, but rather a movie 40th anniversary popcorn flick, which it certainly is.