"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

I cant believe they were considering a 'spin off' movie for Jinx - what a disaster that would have been.

If you take away everything else and look at Jinx,she actually does Jack-shit throughout the whole film apart from look nice and then get caught.

A totally crap character,about as much use to DAD as Pussy Galore was in GF...both terrible.
    For me there's no comparison between Pussy and Jinx. Pussy all the way ;)
    Hahaha cant argue with that he he ..... ;))
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Seriously anyone that thinks Honor is anywhere near as bad as Halle is insane ;)
    I wish they had used Honor better as Pussy than they did.
    I know it was 1964 but the way Bond 'turned' Pussy in the barn,was almost sexist haha !
    Anyway,better get back on topic,im digressing !
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, and ironically both DAF and DAD have very similar silly plots. And for the record, they're both in my bottom three Bond films too alongside YOLT.
    YOLT is FRWL compared to those two.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,797
    BAIN123 wrote:
    YOLT is FRWL compared to those two.

Yes, true. It's the top one of the bottom three for me. I'm a poet and I do know it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I think I saw DAD twice on the big screen... and no, it was not my first cinematic Bond experience. Still, I have no regrets.
    Funny enough DAD is the one of only 2 Bond films i have missed at the cinema since i first saw Bond there (OP in 1983) alongside SF.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Why did you miss those two @barryt007?
    I cant actually remember why i missed DAD,but re SF i was going through a separation from my wife so i was selling the house and looking to rent somewhere so i didnt have time.

Pre-ordered them on DVD each time though.
    Sorry to hear about your separation Barry :(

What were your thoughts after watching DAD for the first time?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm sorry to hear that Barry.

You saw them right, so that's the main thing! :)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your separation Barry :(

What were your thoughts after watching DAD for the first time?
    Thanks matey....when i first saw it i felt straight away that this might be an OTT film when i saw the PTS and Bond surfing onto the shore,i just couldnt imagine Bond doing that,and Brosnan looked a bit daft.
    Then i really enjoyed the first half of it but gradually had reservations,i remember being gobsmacked at the surfing tsunami CGI moment and hated the ending.

I watched it again a few hours later and it was more palatable..just.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm sorry to hear that Barry.

You saw them right, so that's the main thing! :)

Thanks pal,
    I did indeed see them and have done many times since so no big loss !

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    But bloody hell you want someone to shoot Halle Berry.

I don't blame Berry, If she was handed better material, I do believe that she could have risen to the challenge.
  • barryt007 wrote:
    I cant believe they were considering a 'spin off' movie for Jinx - what a disaster that would have been.

If you take away everything else and look at Jinx,she actually does Jack-shit throughout the whole film apart from look nice and then get caught.

pardon? she doesn't "Jack-shit" Half as much as Bond, who gets his gun unloaded and Carries it in harms way, which in effect gets her arrested in the ice room.Jinx manages to get to the Cuban island,kills neatly the doctor and escapes by means of a spectacular jump. Not too incompetent from my point of view! Sure Zao escapes her but, but he also escapes Bond, Who already had him at point blank.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Her haircut was worse than Craig's in SF...
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Her haircut was worse than Craig's in SF...

Perhaps, even so I doubt it. Anyway,she looked half (maybe a third) as old as him, so it seems to me she can wear it.
    bondampberry_zpsfa2c75b6.jpg
  • DAD is not of the same quality as the Craig-era films, but I still really enjoy it. It's very over-the-top, but it's just too much fun not to like.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    David Arnold's score for the film was excellent. Full of classic Barry elements, Brass, Bond theme and a real dramatic weight to Moon/Graves's theme. I listen to it a lot when I drive to places. Skyfall really needed a good score like Die Another Day's.
    DAD is not of the same quality as the Craig-era films, but I still really enjoy it. It's very over-the-top, but it's just too much fun not to like.

Some parts of it were genuinely quite entertaining (the sword fight), other parts were just enjoyable to laugh at (A highlight being the Mr Kil fight and Brosnan's over-the-top mugging).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DAD is airing on TV here this weekend, and they promote it as "the Bond film with the most advanced technology ever". And Halle Berry.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,690
    Murdock wrote:
    David Arnold's score for the film was excellent. Full of classic Barry elements, Brass, Bond theme and a real dramatic weight to Moon/Graves's theme. I listen to it a lot when I drive to places. Skyfall really needed a good score like Die Another Day's.
    OH yeah.
    Even now I can't think of any theme from SF.
  • I rate the movie a 7/10. The ice palace drags a bit, Halle has unnecessary scenes, and the CGI was too much.

Other than that, DAD is a solid movie. It's the last fun movie in the series, and I think it gets shitted on too much. The PTS was fantastic, Cuba was awesome, sword fighting was great, the actions scenes and car chases were amazing, and "So you live to die another day" was a classic line.

I don't know why it seems like it's made 10 years after TWINE. It's probably due to the change in style, PB's hair and weight, and the director trying to create a trendy movie.
    I like parts of DAD but there's a reason it gets "shitted on". A lot of the film is simply poorly made.

Its a 4/10 at best.
  • DAD, like all but one of the Bond films cough THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN cough, is certainly, an enjoyable way to spend a few hours, I speak for myself when I say I can watch it and be perfectly happy. However, as others point out, the criticism of the film is very justified.