Everyday Drinking

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @007inVT, great film, great quote. ;)

• http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-22887138

Was this poor lost soul on the devils fire water?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2013 Posts: 28,694
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-22887138

I thought you said you would stay out of this thread for good?
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Alcohol is temptation from the devil and will take you into hell when you die.

Just have water as god intended human beings to drink.

Jesus turned water into wine, did he not?

Rose water actually and I will leave this thread to the deniers and the self abusers. Bottoms up old chaps.

I am against drinking too, but you don't see me telling everyone that enjoys the occasional alcoholic beverage here that they are sinning and going to hell to burn for eternity. Seriously, we get it, you don't like those that drink. Now that you have more than made your point, exit the thread with what is left of your dignity, old chap.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-22887138

Haha. Brilliant. Fair play to the guy and I'd much rather be a 'lost soul' with a few pints of 'the devils firewater' inside me and carousing with women than a sanctimonious tosser.
    Anyone ever had a lad bomb? Shot of Jägermeister dropped into a double vodka and redbull. Got it from this

=)) Fantastic. Cheers for this.
  • oo7oo7
    lemoncella for now, anyone?
  • oo7oo7
    retrokitty wrote:
    What happened? I just lost the entire post. Great. Not typing it again. Mods, please delete all the posts if you can't find the one with the body.

I thought you had a recipe up when i posted, you should post it again. for good measure...
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    oo7 wrote:
    retrokitty wrote:
    What happened? I just lost the entire post. Great. Not typing it again. Mods, please delete all the posts if you can't find the one with the body.

I thought you had a recipe up when i posted, you should post it again. for good measure...

No can do. It was a long post and I'm not typing it out again. I was editing the double and triple post when the first one disappeared. Maybe a mod can bring it back. If not, I'll post it again when I make the drink.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    retrokitty wrote:
    oo7 wrote:
    retrokitty wrote:

No can do. It was a long post and I'm not typing it out again. I was editing the double and triple post when the first one disappeared. Maybe a mod can bring it back. If not, I'll post it again when I make the drink.

At least give an idea what the drink was. I know you're bloody good with those cocktails.....
    It was a Hudson, after Hemingway's Thomas Hudson. I'll make it this weekend and share the original and modern recipe with a pic!
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Red Stag Black Cherry is on the money!
  • http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-22887138

Haha. Brilliant. Fair play to the guy and I'd much rather be a 'lost soul' with a few pints of 'the devils firewater' inside me and carousing with women than a sanctimonious tosser.

I'll drink to that :)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    retrokitty wrote:
    It was a Hudson, after Hemingway's Thomas Hudson. I'll make it this weekend and share the original and modern recipe with a pic!

Can't wait! As soon as i've got my own house (the 27th!) I'll start my own collection of mixable drinks, so it's more then welcome!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2013 Posts: 12,459
    One of my favorite cocktails for sure is a Sidecar. It is a sour (orange & lemon) with a sublime, rich tease of cognac. Lovely.
    Sidecar-003-de1.jpg

The following is copied from Esquire online:

SIDECAR
    Ingredients

3/4 ounce Cointreau
    3/4 ounce lemon juice
    1 1/2 ounces cognac

Glass Type: cocktail glass
    Instructions

Shake well with cracked ice, then strain into a chilled cocktail glass that has had its outside rim rubbed with lemon juice and dipped in sugar.

commentary in Esquire by The Wondrich Take: (I wanted to copy the picture but I couldn't) Oh, I did make one change to their write up, as you can find below ...

The Sidecar is often singled out as the only good cocktail to come out of the long national nightmare that was Prohibition. And when you're sipping one, you almost think it was all worth it. The luminous, golden-straw color, the perfectly controlled sweetness, the jazzy high notes of the citrus against the steady bass of the brandy. This is a drink whose suavité is beyond question -- it's the Warren Beatty Sean Connery/Roger Moore of modern mixology.
    It's so easy, in fact, to be seduced by this clever old roué that a word of caution would not be out of place here. These gents have a way of stealing up on you and -- bimmo! Next thing you know it's 8:43 on Monday morning and you're sitting in the backseat of a taxi idling in front of your place of employ. In your skivvies.
    Visit us at Esquire.com
    I don't drink every day but I drink every night. Bad pun I know. I enjoy real sled, they are my poison of choice. I do like red wine with a meal.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2013 Posts: 1,347
    retrokitty wrote:
    oo7 wrote:
    retrokitty wrote:

@retrokitty See if you can find it under the "My Drafts" tab when in the Discussion view. Should be there, if it somehow wasn't overwritten by an empty content post.
    @4Ever now that indeed sounds like a proper cocktail! I'll try it later.
    @Disco should've known you'd keep an eye on a drinks thread! All we need back here now are @St. George and @Doubleohnothing to fill up our virtual bar!
    Just knocking back a Crabbies with Raspberry while watching England administer a right royal seeing to to minnows Moldova. Cashback!

Any one else partial to this alcoholic ginger beer? Makes a nice change from normal beer and cider and slides down a treat on a hot evening.

Can't really see Bond drinking it mind.
    @TheWizardOfIce, I checked into it, and sadly, it's a UK-based drink, or I would love to try it. I'm stuck with my screwdrivers and mojitos here in the States.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @TheWizardOfIce, I checked into it, and sadly, it's a UK-based drink, or I would love to try it. I'm stuck with my screwdrivers and mojitos here in the States.

My condolences old chap. You'll have to make do with Canada Dry I guess.
    Mentioning a screwdriver, @Creasy47, just reminded me of my drinking habits as a teen. One of my favorites was, believe it or not, a Harvey Wallbanger. But I mostly enjoyed it just because of the name. I even had a T-shirt with that emblazoned on it. So silly ... but that was about as shocking as I got as a teen. That and guzzling sangria (which I still enjoy to this day).
    Creasy47 wrote:

My condolences old chap. You'll have to make do with Canada Dry I guess.

Thank you. It's such a shame.

@4EverBonded, every time I hear that name, I think of 'Knight & Day,' when an assassin in the film orders it.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I am such not a fan of Cruise, I haven't seen the film yet. I can see where a thug or assassin ordering it is amusing, though. ;)
    I haven't had one since I was a teenager, actually.
    Remembering now even one of my good guy friends used to call me, "Harvey" because of that! Ha. He probably called me "Wallbanger" secretly - but anyway to my face, he would call me, "Harvey."
    I've never had one, but I think a Harvey Wallbanger sounds much better than a normal screwdriver. Looks like it adds a nice bit of flavor to it.
  • I'm not trying to troll you, but alcohol is litterally poisonous ! This's why your liver needs to filter it !

IS TOXIC ! KILLS YOUR BRAIN CELLS ! DONT' WANT THAT !!
    "Litterally poisonous"? Maybe if you are mixing it with cat rocks but who does that? GAH!

Alcohol is healthy.

It is necessary to cull and strengthen the herd. It kills the weaker brain cells, increasing the abilities of the stronger ones to do a better job. That's why after recovering from a big night out, one feels and thinks amazingly well.

The liver filters many things and is definitely needed even by those who don't ingest alcohol.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I'm not trying to troll you, but alcohol is litterally poisonous ! This's why your liver needs to filter it !

Eh. I've been drinking since my early teens, and it hasn't done me any real harm.
    I'm not trying to troll you, but alcohol is litterally poisonous ! This's why your liver needs to filter it !

Eh. I've been drinking since my early teens, and it hasn't done me any real harm.

Yeah, but look at what it's done to him!
  • I'm not trying to troll you, but alcohol is litterally poisonous ! This's why your liver needs to filter it !

IFM mate, IFM. We already have ample proof above that you needn't drink to be severely lacking in brain cells.

That explains a lot. You must have been bottle fed wine as a baby