Everyday Drinking

Comments

• Well, considering that I drink responsibly, I doubt I will be dealing with cirrhosis of the liver anytime in the future.

I will pray for your continued good health but please give it up.
    Well, considering that I drink responsibly, I doubt I will be dealing with cirrhosis of the liver anytime in the future.

I will pray for your continued good health but please give it up.

If you're being serious, I'd really appreciate you leaving the thread to discuss the topic it's dedicated to rather than preaching religion and "good health". No hard feelings, but it is getting slightly annoying.

Alcohol is temptation from the devil and will take you into hell when you die.

Just have water as god intended human beings to drink.

Jesus turned water into wine, did he not?

JBFan626 wrote:

Ugh... Leave it alone, lads.

To steer us back on topic, anyone had any good reds lately?
  • JBFan626 wrote:

Rose water actually and I will leave this thread to the deniers and the self abusers. Bottoms up old chaps.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    OK, but let's not get into religions (mine says the miracle was wine ...). Some religions do forbid alcohol, and that is fine with all due respect; but this thread is for fun for people who do enjoy some alcoholic beverages.

Drinking responsibly: I'll drink to that. ;) And make it a nice gin martini with the fattest olives imaginable, a spicy bloody mary, a refreshing gin and tonic, or a knock-out sidecar for me, thanks.

On beers: I really enjoy Guinness, which is a stout, I know; but don't know much about beer. I hear that Red Stripe (is it Jamaican?) is supposed to be quite good.
  • Red Stripe is good! In fact, in Dr. No, Connery threw Quarrel into a huge stack of it! :D
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Gee, I didn't remember that! I'm here in Japan, and Japanese beer is very popular indeed. I have met American and British folks here who love the Japanese beer. I need to try a few more.
    What is everyone's thought on the 'shaken' martini method? Did Bond get it wrong? Traditionally you stir the martini, because by shaking you disrupt the flavor and overchill it. Thoughts?
    Red Stripe is good! In fact, in Dr. No, Connery threw Quarrel into a huge stack of it! :D

306825_10150761228025066_5061405_n_zpsdfdd405a.jpg

That is excellent! =D> I want to make that my new avatar.
  • JBFan626 wrote:
    What is everyone's thought on the 'shaken' martini method? Did Bond get it wrong? Traditionally you stir the martini, because by shaking you disrupt the flavor and overchill it. Thoughts?

Actually, the main reason you don't shake a martini is that shaking causes the ice cubes to chip and break. The smaller ice shards then melt quickly in the drink. More ice equals more water. Thus, technically speaking, Bond is drinking a watered down martini.

The shaking does, however, have the effect of creating a 'foggy' looking drink, instead of the crystal clear look of a stirred martini. This opaqueness looks pretty darn cool, and, in my opinion, is a nifty way to symbolize the mysterious nature of Bond's character.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    JBFan626 wrote:

Yeah, I sort of stole your idea ;) If you still want to use it feel free and I'll change it back if you like.
    Speaking of martinis, I could use one or three at the moment.

Gin, please. Gordon's.
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    I stick to the classics, which in the summer means Gin & Tonic.
    My personal idiosyncrasy is to add a splash of grapefruit juice on top - really freshens it up!
    Word of warning: never order your G&T "shaken, not stirred."
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    This beers are totally unknown to me @Benny :(

What's wrong with Fosters anyway? It's damn beer. Besides, I tend to get a different one every time

It's marketed as being Australian, when it's far from an Australian beer.
    I believe it's rather popular in the UK though???
    But if you enjoy a 'tinnie' of it, then that's all that matters my friend. :-bd
    I'm not entirely sure why people hate Fosters. I think it's nice enough. It's either Fosters or Carling in my fridge most of the time.

@Benny Ah that's not true, the advert with the two stereotypical Aussies made out that you all drink it :P

I recall seeing those adverts with Paul Hogan as a kid, then when I moved 'down under' discovered the ruse. They don't actually drink it. The power of marketing is a thing not to be ignored.
    Now if you'll excuse me my Omega watch is telling me time is slipping away.

;)
  • Benny wrote:
    But if you enjoy a 'tinnie' of it, then that's all that matters my friend. :-bd
    lol To be honest, I do have a bit of a nostalgic spot for the 'big can' of Fosters. When I had just turned 21 and I knew I was in for a quiet evening, I'd buy one of those on the way home from work or wherever. I would just sit with it and a good movie or book; for no particular reason it usually was a Fosters. I remember thinking it was so cool to get the big can L-)
    You see when I initially turned 21 I had it burned into my mind that if I could drink a whole one and not feel drunk then I'd be a 'badass'.

lol Young me.
  • I think that's it - it isn't Australian. It's a lie. Fosters, you lying bastards.

As for alcohol - I've recently been on moscato and sauv blanc. Though naturally tequila, Southern Comfort, Midori, and vodka are fun for a night out.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I thought Nackers told you to goto your room young Fae.
    X_X
    AgentFae wrote:
    As for alcohol - I've recently been on moscato and sauv blanc. Though naturally tequila, Southern Comfort, Midori, and vodka are fun for a night out.

Not in the same glass I hope.
    I must confess I do like a G&T sometimes, with the obligatory ice and slice.
    Or a nice glass of white wine.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2013 Posts: 9,117
    When you wake up one day with a failing liver you will remember that god warned you about the ills of intoxication...I will pray for you and hope you find the right path...

Is this guy for real? Jesus Christ - so to speak.

Just came home after a shit day and on the tube I was thinking I would make myself a vesper but then when I got in I remembered I'm playing football early in the morning and that's a serious drink so I just went for a cheeky G&T instead. You can't go wrong with a G&T in all honesty although its not a drink I remember Bond having very often if at all.
  • Benny wrote:
    I thought Nackers told you to goto your room young Fae.
    X_X
    AgentFae wrote:

Not in the same glass I hope.
    I wonder how that would taste though ... but no. Not the same glass.

As for beer - I'm a fan of Asahi, Peroni, and Corona out of preference. I've tried to get into cider but I'm only really a fan of Strongbow's Summer Fruits - and I can never find it. It makes me sad.

(Nackers isn't here now.)

• I'm not a heavy drinker, and have a strong withstanding to alcohol to be truthful, but heaven knows what I will have consumed by this time tomorrow. I think, so long as it has alcohol in it, will be good enough. Win or lose, I'm going to be pretty inebriated by after event, but hope to be on best behavior and may even stop by, but seems doubtful, especially in event of a loss. It's times like these, such as Fourth of July, where you feel you can just go out and to hell with consequences, but if able, will try for a list of intoxicants sampled at next opportunity - could be a long list

I need to sleep damn it, long day tomorrow. Rest is imperative

Goodnight
  • When you wake up one day with a failing liver you will remember that god warned you about the ills of intoxication...I will pray for you and hope you find the right path...

Is this guy for real? Jesus Christ - so to speak.

Just came home after a shit day and on the tube I was thinking I would make myself a vesper but then when I got in I remembered I'm playing football early in the morning and that's a serious drink so I just went for a cheeky G&T instead. You can't go wrong with a G&T in all honesty although its not a drink I remember Bond having very often if at all.

Bond drinks quite of few G&T's.......in the books. Funny that the 'shaken not stirred' martini became such a big thing in the movies given the fact that he drinks very few in the novels.
    Ah, the martini as metaphor
    JBFan626 wrote:

Yeah, I sort of stole your idea ;) If you still want to use it feel free and I'll change it back if you like.

Ha! Nice! That's alright, enjoy it! Me, I'm going to have a few a Red Stripes and pass out on a cabana chair...
  • JBFan626 wrote:

That only applies to a gin martini. The thinking was that vigorous shaking "bruises" the flavour of the gin. No such worries with vodka. However, many "mixologists" (!) say that they have disproven that shaking changes the flavour of the gin.

I've never had a stirred martini that has gotten anywhere close to the coldness of a shaken martini. As the coldness is an important part (the colder, the smoother the taste) it's nothing but shaken for me.

Alright folks, it's Friday. What's everyone having for happy hour?

Me and the Mrs. are spending the night in and making a pizza, so I'll have a few Peroni's to go with and a digestif. Feels like a good night for FYEO and Cortina.
    I plan on a nice glass of Laphroaig once I'm off work this evening. Should pair nicely with the snowy weather.
    Yeah, I hear the snow's pretty bad out East. My folks are gearing up for it.
    That's what I hear as well. I'm out in Salt Lake City, Utah though. Not as bad as New England is right now, but we're getting our share.
  • JBFan626 wrote:
    Alright folks, it's Friday. What's everyone having for happy hour?

I had a few pints, nothing really special.