Everyday Drinking

Comments

I used to get that everytime I bought a bottle, but on a whim (after watching AVTAK, lol) I decided to buy a 750 of Stolichnaya instead. HELL of a difference! Much better!
    When that runs out, I'll either get that again, or even try something different still! Open to suggestions guys!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've always heard that Stolichnaya is good. Another thing I would love to try: a real Mojito. I've had them before in the little Bacardi bottles, and they taste great, but I just want a Mojito in a nice, tall glass.
    Head to Cuba! Actually, for an American, that's not much of a possibility.

I've been gaining a love for Absinthe recently. Banned in many countries but found in plenty of bars nowadays too. Tasted it in many London, Prague, Paris and Italian drinking spots.

Heading to Barcelona tomorrow morning on a stag do, so time to sample the drinking delights over there!
    Any whiskey drinkers here? I personally like to have a small glass of Jim Beam on the rox every evening, but I'd like to find a good, simple bourbon drink to make. I've tryed making Old Fashioned's and I like them but they take a lot of prep and if i'm honest, orange isn't my favorite flavor. I've tryed making like a bourbon and tonic, which is also nice, but not quite what I'm looking for. Any one have some good simple drinks with bourbon in them?
    @Slyfox
    What's the deal with Absinthe? I read it's a bit hallucinogenic. Is that true?
    I have seen it at my local liquor store for like $60, but is that the real deal?
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 562
    Any whiskey drinkers here? I personally like to have a small glass of Jim Beam on the rox every evening, but I'd like to find a good, simple bourbon drink to make. I've tryed making Old Fashioned's and I like them but they take a lot of prep and if i'm honest, orange isn't my favorite flavor. I've tryed making like a bourbon and tonic, which is also nice, but not quite what I'm looking for. Any one have some good simple drinks with bourbon in them?

Personally, I like a good bourbon on the rocks with a splash of ginger ale. Simple, tasty, and doesn't completely kill the flavour of the bourbon.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    @Slyfox
    I have seen it at my local liquor store for like $60, but is that the real deal?

From what I know what is currently sold as Absinthe is actually a very diluted form of it because the real thing was not a bit but a lot halucinogenic and therefore is no longer produced or sold. It was quite a popular drink amongst the bohemians in late 19th century Paris (which justifies a lot of things)!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 940
    @Slyfox

Like Sandy mentioned, a lot of that hallucinogenic association comes from days gone by, when it was made differently - it gained cultural significance in the Bohemian days, particulaly in places like Paris and Prague where artists famously drank it.

The hullicigenic characteristics have majorly been exaggerated nowadays. I watched a programme on it a few years back which tested the formula and concluded that it was no different to any other spirits today. Toxic ingredients added to it in olden times may have contributed to these passed down stories! Strong alcohol percentage, yes, and maybe it's thrived on it's mysterious reputation to lucrative effect but you won't be seeing green fary's if you buy a bottle!

That price is about right. There's several variety's and countries have set their individual ways of producing it as there is no set regulation for making it, but I'd recommend buying a bottle. Let me know what you think! It's not for everyone and many of my friends dislike the anocede taste, but I've always found it's history, reputation, volume and taste fascinating.

You don't have to drink it straight, though that's one option. The correct 'traditional' way is to pour a measure into a glass and place a sugar cube over a special absinthe spoon (with small holes), which you cover over the glass and pour ice cold water over. Of course, this could still be done without the spoon. A very popular way of drinking it here in Europe now is simply mixing it with red bull. :)
    slyfox wrote:

I've been gaining a love for Absinthe recently. Banned in many countries but found in plenty of bars nowadays too. Tasted it in many London, Prague, Paris and Italian drinking spots.

Heading to Barcelona tomorrow morning on a stag do, so time to sample the drinking delights over there!

I wish it were that easy. Apparently, it is easy for Europeans to hop around and find a way to Cuba, though? My Race Relations professor was telling me about it the other day, and how some Americans are allowed to go for certain business or family relations.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 940
    Creasy47 wrote:
    slyfox wrote:

I wish it were that easy. Apparently, it is easy for Europeans to hop around and find a way to Cuba, though? My Race Relations professor was telling me about it the other day, and how some Americans are allowed to go for certain business or family relations.

Yes, it's very difficult for you chaps. I've been twice actually, had my best Mojito in a crowded Havana Salsa bar in November last year. I think it's more possible for an American if you fly direct from a Latin American country but I don't know all the facts to be honest. Obviously the Canadians can come and go as they like. I read that there's only 1 McDonalds in Cuba and that's in Guantanamo!
    Haha, wow, I didn't know all of that! I've always thought the sound of going to a salsa bar in Havana, having a mojito, and smoking a cigarette sounds so amazing. I really hope I get the chance to go there some day. And England. And Sweden. And one million other places.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    slyfox wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    slyfox wrote:

Yes, it's very difficult for you chaps. I've been twice actually, had my best Mojito in a crowded Havana Salsa bar in November last year. I think it's more possible for an American if you fly direct from a Latin American country but I don't know all the facts to be honest. Obviously the Canadians can come and go as they like. I read that there's only 1 McDonalds in Cuba and that's in Guantanamo!

The regular route for Americas is through Mexico city. You can get your vias there as well, the Cubans don't mind you coming! Thing is though, you'll have to bring enough cash for your comlete stay, or have a European or Canadian bank account and credit card. American credit cards can't be used as the US gov. blocks all transactions to and fro Cuba. Still, I did meet an American couple there. They also told me thay couldn't go to the US Embassy if they got in trouble, becouse they'd just be fined about 10k for beeing there. But that was in Bush's days, perhaps they slacked it a bit. For me, the best Mojito was in Havana, in a hotel bar in the city centre.

@sirseanisbond I love Whisky, not Whiskey (Bourbon). It's something completely different. Bourbon is a liqueur, Whisky isn't.
    Agent005 wrote:

Personally, I like a good bourbon on the rocks with a splash of ginger ale. Simple, tasty, and doesn't completely kill the flavour of the bourbon.

Jim Beam is a great whiskey. Ever tried a Bourbon and Coke? a mate of mine made me once and it actually turned out really nice. It tastes better with ice in.
    I love both whiskey and bourbon, but nowdays I'm drinking more the latter. I even prepared recently a Mint Julep (remember it in GF?). Great drink!
    Also I like to drink rum and coke, Mojito, vodka (Martini or straight, I also tried with black pepper like Bond), and obviously beer and wine.
    @Agen005 and @thelivingroyal, those are good suggestions. I'd heard of rum and coke, but never considered JB and coke, or even with ginger ail. I'll have to try those. as for @0013, I agree, Mint Julep's are amazing ala Goldfinger. Mojito's are still good, but I prefer Julep's. I'll have to try vodka with black pepper, I didn't realize Bond did that. I prefer my martinis to be with gin, like Bond's, and I also really like gin and tonic, it's very simple and very tasty. As for beer and wine, I prefer wine, red or white doesn't matter, though my sweet tooth prefers white. Really I never drink beer except for Corona's when I'm somewhere hot like at the beach, otherwise I'm usually a liquor man. Wine is really just for dinner. I am currently trying my way around various Scotch brands via some nip's I got to test them. So far I prefer Glenlivet.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @sirseanisbond might want to try Talisker if you like Glenlivet. I myself really like Tormore, but it's not very well known, so I don't know if you can actually get it.
    Just prepared myself an Americano, interesting drink!
    Now that I'm 21, I'm ready to go out and have myself a vodka martini, but I live in a smaller town in West Virginia, so the only places I can find are bars with straight liquor and beers. When I picked up my new license the other day, I headed straight over to the local bar with my friend for a shot of vodka. Was very enjoyable, to say the least.
    Taking shots ks not drinking, it's actively seeking drunkenness. If you don't get to savor the flavor and enjoy it, you're not drinking. Personally, I don't like vodka for shots or for drinking normally. My favorite vodka drink is a gimlet, equal parts vodka and limee juce with ice, although I prefer the drink with gin instead. Incidentally I'm not yet 21, (less than a month now!), but my parents are very open to letting me drink at home, and they have quite a liquor library built up for me to test from :)
    As were mine. But, as I said, it was some backwoods bar that doesn't really indulge in fine drinks. Shot of vodka was the best I could get there.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Creasy47 wrote:
    As were mine. But, as I said, it was some backwoods bar that doesn't really indulge in fine drinks. Shot of vodka was the best I could get there.

With black pepper?
    I agree with @sirseanisbond, to take shots is actively seeking drunkness. I rarely drink, and never get drunk. I prefer to feel the taste of what I'm drinking. Recently in a gala dinner I had to attend I had in front of me a flute of champagne, a glass of white wine, a glass of red wine, in addition to water. Some people started making fun of me because I had 3 different wines and didn't finish either of them! They shouldn't have asked, they had to listen to my answer afterwards /:)
    edited May 2012 Posts: 40,454
    Well, as do I, but what I'm saying is, I just turned 21, and I just wanted to go out and drink, in public, legally. A shot to numb the brain wasn't going to hurt. It's just what I could get; that, or beer, and I'm not fond of the latter.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I used to drink a lot before I had kids, mostly tons of Budweiser but now I usually drink Yuengling. I like Mexican beers a lot plus Japanese Sapporo and German Beck's. I can do a Guinness but never warm, warm beer period sucks to me.

Hard liquor, always rum and Cruzan the best for me. When I visit the tropics, I get fairly well smashed on rum punches or sometimes a daiquiri, puff away on a good stogie, and just relax and enjoy life and the people around me, family, friends, or stranger.

I should add that I was also allowed to have a little glass of beer or wine since I was a little kid, and have a fairly high tolerance for it. My German side of the family never treated alcohol as a taboo and believed that in moderation it was simply an enjoyable beverage for old and young alike.

@SirHenryLeeChaChing and as always, the Germans are right. I must say though that since i became single again twon months ago I've been drinking rather heavily. But I guess it's all part of the game. I like a good drink, and as I have noreason to go back home when I'm out I can drink quite a lot.

*sips his Brand beer*
    Can anyone recommend some great bourbon’s? I love my Jim Beam but have never really tried many other brands. I’m looking for something a bit more upscale, but with a similar, albeit more refined taste.
    I'm not a big drinker, but I'll drink various beers, ciders, alco-pops (normally after I've had a few other drinks), and since I was at uni I started drinking rum, mainly because my housemate drank rum and port and got me hooked on the stuff
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    but now I usually drink Yuengling.

Best American beer out there!
    Can anyone recommend some great bourbon’s? I love my Jim Beam but have never really tried many other brands. I’m looking for something a bit more upscale, but with a similar, albeit more refined taste.

Rebel Yell is nice and also good value.
    One hour left of work and then I'm off to the pub for a pint or three!

Anyone have any suggestions for a refreshing summer cocktail besides the usual run-of-the-mill standards?
    I went out to the movies about a week ago, and I ran into a buddy there who bought me a Mojito. Very excellent drink, one of my favorites. I've only tried the Bacardi Mojito bottles when I was a little younger, never had a full one. It was pretty delicious, but unfortunately, it wasn't strong in the slightest, so I felt like I was drinking a slightly flavored $7 water. Perhaps I needed another four or five in my system.