FoxRox wrote: »
    Most to least attractive Bonds for me goes:

1. Sean Connery
    2. Roger Moore
    3. Pierce Brosnan
    4. George Lazenby
    5. Daniel Craig
    6. Timothy Dalton

But it’s not the #1 most important criteria for a good Bond.
    You're pretty close to the study results, apart from Dalts. I assume the cleft chin is pulling him down.

His head looks too big to me. Connery wins for sure by any measure...
    "It's just the right size."

For you, that is?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    The best commercial from the Super Bowl this year, simply because it uses "Nobody Does it Better" over the outro
  • I was wondering what that commercial was about. I was in the other room and heard "Nobody Does It Better" playing, then caught a glimpse of Anthony Hopkins feeding peacocks. Fairly surreal, but I'd expect nothing less from a Super Bowl commercial.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE CAPTION CONTEST RETURNS
    Insane.2015-image01.jpg
    On the left, @jake24 and his dog on their way out from the meeting where they were appointed new mods. @Birdleson on the right, way ready for work.
    Here is how I really picture you as a moderator. You re really suited for it.
    ratinatrap.jpg
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    From Chris Hemsworth: "A lot of pressure comes with that though – the Bond fan base is probably more critical than the comic book fan base." http://hollywoodlife.com/2018/02/06/will-chris-hemsworth-play-james-bond-role-007/

I think he could be right. The CB fan base is extremely large in size and yes, they can become very defensive about certain aspects which they do not want to be changed, but the average CB readers are used to seeing their characters toyed with in the comics. They're also more prone to accepting changes once they've occurred (at least if the film is said to "fun"). On top of that, modern superhero cinematic universes are relatively young in relation to the Bond films. Fans of the new films probably have a much younger demographic even amongst adults. They might not care about the comics or simply have a more lenient view for change.

Bond fans on the other hand are undeniably more stubborn in that regard. Especially the older one is/becomes because you've grown up with the Bond 'classics' and that's the pinnacle of the franchise in your mind. Yes, you want the films to be a product of their time, but not if that means you have to compromise some of the core values of the character. Many of us have meticulously studied the original books and are advocates for Fleming. We'd defend him in almost any argument just out of pure principle. Also, the Bond fan base has way more traditions and expectations that need to be done as precisely as we need them to be; gunbarrel at the start (the viscosity and colour of the blood is additionally critiqued), pts sequence, titles, Bond theme has to be played etc. The Bond actor himself also has to meet impossible expectations. If just one of these things is played around with, then some of us won't ever forgive the filmmakers. One thing the Bond fans in general don't have though, is a large voice. This is the opposite of the CB fanbase. Our online presence on forums, social media, and on news-sites is but a fraction of the Marvel/DC fanbase's. We might be more innately critical of our films, but we aren't as strong at defending it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Another thing I think the comic book and Bond fan clubs have in common: a limited history of the actual source material. I don't think there's a lot of Fleming readers out there, sadly, and since Iron Man in 2008 (or even Spider-Man or X-Men in the early 2000s) a lot of people act like they always knew about these characters when in reality it took a film series to bring them to their attention. A shame, but I have a feeling it's true.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Another thing I think the comic book and Bond fan clubs have in common: a limited history of the actual source material. I don't think there's a lot of Fleming readers out there, sadly, and since Iron Man in 2008 (or even Spider-Man or X-Men in the early 2000s) a lot of people act like they always knew about these characters when in reality it took a film series to bring them to their attention. A shame, but I have a feeling it's true.

Same with Bond, no?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Same with Bond, no?
    @BondAficionado, yes, that's basically what I was implying. I think many (if not most) casual viewers of the films would be surprised to hear that these films were pre-dated by many novels. Even when it comes to fans of the films I know of some who state that they never care to read the books, which I think is quite alarming. I don't get why one would have that viewpoint, but the movies sadly seem to outshine the films despite their distinct literary merit.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Why is Jaws considered the first blockbuster? Surely Goldfinger or Thunderball fit the bill?
    Why is Jaws considered the first blockbuster? Surely Goldfinger or Thunderball fit the bill?

Gone With the Wind. Snow White. Others as well.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

I wasn't really aware that it was, but I can see your point nonetheless.
    @Mendes4Lyfe, I think Jaws is more credited with being the first film to spark the creation of the word "blockbuster" which all future high earning and high popularity films would be labeled as. It's not a commentary on Jaws being the first big hit in the medium, but is tied to it because it was the film that coined a now unforgettable cinematic adjective that has colored our discussions of box office and film budgeting ever since.
    That makes sense.
    That makes sense.

Jaws was a summer blockbuster at the very least. Perhaps the first in the modern sense of the term?
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    That makes sense.

Jaws was a summer blockbuster at the very least. Perhaps the first in the modern sense of the term?

Yeah, maybe. I heard the term was coined to describe how people would line up "around the block". Hence blockbuster.

I suppose Jaws could be given credit as formalizing what we think of as the modern blockbuster, like you say.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    That makes sense.

I'm trying to think of a similar equivalent in another art. Like how a "one hit wonder" was a more modern term to describe a one and done artist that is still used today. Just because that term was coined later on in the life of music production doesn't discount the many performers before its popular use that also bowed out after just one hit song under their belt. The same is true for Jaws: not the first blockbuster in definition, but the one film that spawned the classification that we can now retroactively apply to other major films that came before it like Gone with the Wind.
    How about "reboot"? That's a modern term. People always used to say "do-over".
    How about "reboot"? That's a modern term. People always used to say "do-over".

Linked to the Computer Age of course, applied more recently to the film world.
    @Mendes4Lyfe, an even better example, yes. The Bond series could retroactively be called something along those lines at points in its history pre-dating the use of the term, like when Sean left and a replacement for the famous character was needed in George or Roger. A refresher and an attempt to continue a series with a different face. Not the best example though, as the series never really stopped and there was still some semblance of continuity, but you get my point.

A better example would in fact be Jaws, a series of films that saw sequels released far after the first outing that retooled and reimagined the brand for new audiences. "Jumping the shark" is another term that could be applied to films pre-dating its use and popularity off of Happy Days, with Jaws being another example funnily enough.

It all comes back to sharks, basically.
    CAPTION CONTEST
    jf.gif
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    CAPTION CONTEST
    jf.gif

'How dare you insult my dress sense, waistcoats are cool!'
    I played tourist in Hollywood on Thursday and got to see the stars of the two best Bonds.
    dJ63CsHl.jpg
    50jVQ8zl.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    CAPTION CONTEST
    jf.gif

"Good God, sir, why hath you unfurled your penis?!"
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I played tourist in Hollywood on Thursday and got to see the stars of the two best Bonds.
    dJ63CsHl.jpg
    50jVQ8zl.jpg

Excellent tastes. :-bd
    Don't know if this bothers anybody else, but it's proper disheartening to see British actors abuse American slang to sound cool. Take our lad Daniel Kaluuya. I've been watching interviews with him, and his constant use of bro and dude make me want to knock him out. What the hell happened to being proud of your Britishess?

Bro? What is he, some bloke from an American ghetto?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand the attraction of those hollywood stars on Boulevard? Not aimed at you @BMW_with_missiles , I hope you enjoyed your stay, but it's just boring plackards on the ground. It's supposed to be an honour but it does little to convey the message. Hollywood Boulevard is just an empty wide ugly street, not much glamour at all. I found it increadably un-inspiring to be there.
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand the attraction of those hollywood stars on Boulevard? Not aimed at you @BMW_with_missiles , I hope you enjoyed your stay, but it's just boring plackards on the ground. It's supposed to be an honour but it does little to convey the message. Hollywood Boulevard is just an empty wide ugly street, not much glamour at all. I found it increadably un-inspiring to be there.

Oh I completely understand where you're coming from. Those were literally the only two stars I cared about at all, and the reason I was in the area had nothing to do with seeing Hollywood Boulevard. I honestly don't get the attraction many have to Hollywood, it just happened to be the nearest town with a Dave and Busters restaurant for my friends and I to visit.
    Would love to visit California at some point, but don't know if Hollywood is something I'll bother to see. Feels like a tourist trap seeing images from the place. Don't know if it's true, though!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The Walk of Fame, it's a great tie to the Golden years of Hollywood, I definitely like how it endured. And check out the face of any actor receiving that recognition. They generally love and appreciate it.
    rogermoore-hollywoodwalkoffame-1.jpg

It will be a sad future day when I walk my child or grandchild down Hollywood Boulevard and have to explain that yeah, they used to have stars there.