Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2018 Posts: 28,694
    Don't know if this bothers anybody else, but it's proper disheartening to see British actors abuse American slang to sound cool. Take our lad Daniel Kaluuya. I've been watching interviews with him, and his constant use of bro and dude make me want to knock him out. What the hell happened to being proud of your Britishess?

Bro? What is he, some bloke from an American ghetto?
    Wouldn't call that American slang in particular (speaking as someone from there), just a collective breakdown of our use of language around the world. Something read a book would fix but...oh, my phone is vibrating with a new text! :(

I'd also think "bro" would be more common on the coasts, especially the west in California, than in a ghetto of all places, but that's just a native speaking...
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand the attraction of those hollywood stars on Boulevard? Not aimed at you @BMW_with_missiles , I hope you enjoyed your stay, but it's just boring plackards on the ground. It's supposed to be an honour but it does little to convey the message. Hollywood Boulevard is just an empty wide ugly street, not much glamour at all. I found it increadably un-inspiring to be there.
    I'm inclined to agree, despite my love of cinema. I don't get the logic of celebrating someone by then giving them a star that people tramp on when it's in place. Sort of the Christian equivalent of walking into a church and stepping on Jesus' face or something. Very strange.

That said, I'd like to one day go to Hollywood and see some of the Golden Age "relics" and stars for Bogie, Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall and some others. But the whole materialistic, artificial atmosphere it has today, even aside from the loudness and congested nature of it all doesn't make me want to stick around.
    That said, I'd like to one day go to Hollywood and see some of the Golden Age "relics" and stars for Bogie, Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall and some others. But the whole materialistic, artificial atmosphere it has today, even aside from the loudness and congested nature of it all doesn't make me want to stick around.

Seeing the Golden Age Hollywood Boulevard stars is probably the only reason for me to go there, as well. Would feel stupid constantly looking at the ground taking photos, though.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Seeing the Golden Age Hollywood Boulevard stars is probably the only reason for me to go there, as well. Would feel stupid constantly looking at the ground taking photos, though.
    @Torgeirtrap, you probably would run the risk of coming off a bit balmy, but the air there already seems a bit light, so maybe you'd fit right in. ;)
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,280

@Torgeirtrap, you probably would run the risk of coming off a bit balmy, but the air there already seems a bit light, so maybe you'd fit right in. ;)

Haha! I'll find our if I go there! :))

Reminds me of when I went to a school trip to Berlin some years ago. There were these plaques on the ground telling where the Berlin wall stood. As some in the group I went there with were taking pictures of the plaque, a man walked by, saying «It was better before ze wall went!».

Reminds me of when I went to a school trip to Berlin some years ago. There were these plaques on the ground telling where the Berlin wall stood. As some in the group I went there with were taking pictures of the plaque, a man walked by, saying «It was better before ze wall went!».
    @Torgeirtrap, interesting. I'm sure some Germans are very upset about how touristy that part of the country has gotten since the wall fell, and I get that. In my experience tourism is fun for those visiting, but not as much for the natives who feel like animals at a zoo that outsiders are snapping pictures of. I'm sure tourism can sometimes come off as offensive to the home nation, as they saw the nasty history unfolding first hand that others can only read about.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,280

@Torgeirtrap, interesting. I'm sure some Germans are very upset about how touristy that part of the country has gotten since the wall fell, and I get that. In my experience tourism is fun for those visiting, but not as much for the natives who feel like animals at a zoo that outsiders are snapping pictures of. I'm sure tourism can sometimes come off as offensive to the home nation, as they saw the nasty history unfolding first hand that others can only read about.

You are very right. It wasn't one of the most "touristy" streets either, which probably just added to the situation. That being said, Berlin didn't feel so much as a tourist attraction other than around Checkpoint Charlie, and what's left of the Berlin Wall. This was early in the year, so there weren't that many tourists there at that time, probably.
    I live in the L.A. area, and it's true that the stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame are touchstones for tourists' imaginations, reminders of all the stars who "graced" the city, many of whom are still here. Glimpses of them in person are possible. I remember coming out of a movie theater in Westwood years back and seeing John Rhys-Davies and a woman looking in a shop window. Just today I was watching TV coverage of a golf tournament at nearby Riviera Country Club and they showed "Bogey's Tree" on the 12th hole, which Humphrey Bogart used to sit under near the green to watch pros play through during tournaments in the '40s while he drank Jim Beam (or something) from a thermos. I was able to play that course years ago and the person I played with pointed out Mel Brooks' house overlooking the course--Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are favorites of mine. There are so many similar points of interest in Hollywood. But a few other attributes about this area that I've called home for several decades are of course the mild weather--I went to the golf range today in shorts and a T-shirt, though it wasn't quite 70 degrees. Santa Monica Beach is a great place to chill and get a tan. And when I first came here I felt the place had a magnetic attraction, an energy to it that I really fit with--I still do. And all the palm trees here are iconic. It all depends on what floats your boat. Lots of those here too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jf.gif

"Birdleson was made a mod? THE Birdleson?"

Hahah! :))
    Nobody Does It Better is playing at McDonald’s right now!!! Too cool.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 1,469
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Nobody Does It Better is playing at McDonald’s right now!!! Too cool.
    "If there's anything you would like...Anything at all..."
    "Well, I had lunch, but...I seem to have missed dessert. How about a McCafé Chocolate Shake."
    I had dinner and missed dessert myself.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Sounds like you were much more fortunate than I was when they were playing "Die Another Day" in the grocery store.
    Sounds like you were much more fortunate than I was when they were playing "Die Another Day" in the grocery store.

Did you buy a Mohito ?

barryt007 wrote: »

Did you buy a Mohito ?

Only earplugs.

That’s awful!
    CAPTION CONTEST
    dVtD0M.jpg
    edited February 2018 Posts: 45,489
    @Birdleson didn t notice that @BeatlesSansEarmuffs was sipping at his drinks all day.
    http://deadline.com/2018/02/guillermo-del-toro-denies-shape-of-water-was-influenced-by-1969-play-i-never-saw-it-1202298445/

Del Toro was accused of plagiarism repeatedly for The Shape of Water, but I'm near-certain it's an attack from someone in the Academy Awards race. So many movies, plays, and books have basic similarities to each other like the ones described in this example. So much is still different about Del Toro's picture. He is one of the great directors of our time, and I highly doubt guilty of plagiarism.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    http://deadline.com/2018/02/guillermo-del-toro-denies-shape-of-water-was-influenced-by-1969-play-i-never-saw-it-1202298445/

Del Toro was accused of plagiarism repeatedly for The Shape of Water, but I'm near-certain it's an attack from someone in the Academy Awards race. So many movies, plays, and books have basic similarities to each other like the ones described in this example. So much is still different about Del Toro's picture. He is one of the great directors of our time, and I highly doubt guilty of plagiarism.

In the year 2018 you would find it difficult to find anything that was not influenced or appeared similar to previous material.

In the year 2018 you would find it difficult to find anything that was not influenced or appeared similar to previous material.

Exactly. I don't buy it at all; Del Toro is one of the last directors I would imagine being guilty of plagiarism.

Exactly. I don't buy it at all; Del Toro is one of the last directors I would imagine being guilty of plagiarism.

It's possible for two people to have the same idea and be totally unrelated, Del Torro's is a proven talent and known for invention of great ideas. It may well be an attempt to derail the films Oscar push.
    Bond needs this.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    CAPTION CONTEST
    dVtD0M.jpg

MI6 Community Moderator disguised as Martin Scorsese revealing his newest film project. ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Bond needs this.
    latest?cb=20160418173050
    jake24 wrote: »
    Bond needs this.
    latest?cb=20160418173050

Precisely! It's the ATV version of a Parahawk.
    So there's this AI known as Botnik which, given enough information, can write it's own stories, ads, etc. It's absolutely hilarious! See more here: http://botnik.org/

norway.jpg

Bond needs this.

Nice it's probably got better handling than a parahawk lol
    So there's this AI known as Botnik which, given enough information, can write it's own stories, ads, etc. It's absolutely hilarious! See more here: http://botnik.org/

norway.jpg

Not sure why you find this funny. That is Norway in a nutshell.