All the Bond actors in a fight - who wins?

Comments

Peak between Sean and George, personally I would back Connery he would not mess around.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Peak between Sean and George, personally I would back Connery he would not mess around.
    I agree. Young Connery could hurt you badly, as evidenced by FRWL (still the benchmark classic in terms of sheer brutality as well as smarts).
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree. Young Connery could hurt you badly, as evidenced by FRWL (still the benchmark classic in terms of sheer brutality as well as smarts).

Connery has that look in his eye playing Bond totally aware at all times.
    Yes. One of the things that makes him so plausible in the role - he seems constantly switched on. Thinking constantly. Ready to act, seduce, kill. Not sure anyone else quite has it to the same extent. Of course his line delivery is amazing. Owning every line as if it's 110% his.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Daniel craig would kill every single one of them with his bare hands, its not even a fight.
    the real question is... every james bond vs daniel craig
  • Daniel craig would kill every single one of them with his bare hands, its not even a fight.

Up against Connery, Lazenby, and (why the hell not?) Brosnan too, Craig wouldn't stand a chance. Moore and Dalton might get in their way a bit, but other than that, it would be a sound drumming.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    okay, are their gadgets and guns or is it all hand to hand
  • Hand-to-hand. Lazenby alone could potentially take Craig. Then add Red Grant-slayer Connery and Alec Trevelyan-slayer Brosnan? Game over, man! Game over!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Daniel craig would kill every single one of them with his bare hands, its not even a fight.

In a true fight, this is probably the case, yes. Dan's Bond has the most fleshed out combative style, and is also the most resourceful. It would be interesting to watch he, Sean and George's Bonds fight, as that's where the real decision would lie. It's just that Dan's Bond has that mix of composed style and untamed ferocity that would make him a rough opponent to survive: he knows what he's doing and he can do it a mile a minute. He's also durable as hell, and will keep coming at you even if you nick him right in the face.

His Bond has that tough, brutal image for a reason.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,087
    Dalton would win, because he would sit back and have a smoke, and wait for a bloodied Lazenby to emerge and then strike! Dalton has a more deadly stare than any Bond, he can use that as a weapon!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dalton has always struck me as a very weak fighter, really, not that his films gave him a lot of room to show off. In a way, he was probably the most realistic Bond in that way, as a normal man would get his arse kicked a bit in the field facing the opponents Bond does.

Sean's Bond took some hits too at times, like TB's boat fight, but you felt the man you were watching was trained and could really bring it even when he was swarmed by six men. Some times I think Dalton's Bond missed the days when they went over combat. He can hold his own at times, but others his fighting style lacks finesse or thought. I'll need to rewatch his films and really try to decide how I feel about his Bond as a fighter.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dalton would win, because he would sit back and have a smoke, and wait for a bloodied Lazenby to emerge and then strike! Dalton has a more deadly stare than any Bond, he can use that as a weapon!

All jokes aside, that's how I would see it going down. He wasn't much of a pugilist. I see him waiting up on a vantage point, watching the carnage unfold, WA2000 and 10 mile half squint at the ready, working his way through a packet of Lark. As for the other 5, my money would be on Lazenby. He was a fast mover in the fights, proof that you don't need to be build like a brick outhouse to fin a fight.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,087
    It's a bit of an mistake that Bond is the best at everything, IMO. Bond is competent at everything, a sort of jack of all trades. But from the Books I never got the impression that he was a word class swimmer, fighter, marksman etc. Fleming is quick to play up the element of luck when he describes his action scenes. It's often by some remarkable fortune that Bond cheats death. That's why I find the Craig Bond overpowered. The Bond of the parkour chase doesn't add up to the adequately in shape character Fleming wrote about. Just leaping from girder to girder breaks any ties you could say the sequence has to the action in the books. Craig's Bond overpowers almost everyone he encounters with ease, like those guys in the elevator in QoS. Those guys were trained too, and yet he catches them all off guard at the same time somehow.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Hand-to-hand. Lazenby alone could potentially take Craig. Then add Red Grant-slayer Connery and Alec Trevelyan-slayer Brosnan? Game over, man! Game over!
    I don't know about Brozza, but Connery would probably take Craig with ease. He'd just have to use his reach to hold him off by the head and jab him into submission. Alternatively, rope-a-dope would work. Laz would probably hurt all of them.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    But from the Books I never got the impression that he was a word class swimmer, fighter, marksman etc.

He is the best with cards and with knives.
    It's a bit of an mistake that Bond is the best at everything, IMO. Bond is competent at everything, a sort of jack of all trades. But from the Books I never got the impression that he was a word class swimmer, fighter, marksman etc. Fleming is quick to play up the element of luck when he describes his action scenes. It's often by some remarkable fortune that Bond cheats death. That's why I find the Craig Bond overpowered. The Bond of the parkour chase doesn't add up to the adequately in shape character Fleming wrote about. Just leaping from girder to girder breaks any ties you could say the sequence has to the action in the books. Craig's Bond overpowers almost everyone he encounters with ease, like those guys in the elevator in QoS. Those guys were trained too, and yet he catches them all off guard at the same time somehow.

Craig's Bond is by far the most durable, but I wouldn't say he's overpowered. In each major fight he takes it as much as he dishes it, and ends up covered in blood and scars of his own. CR and QoS show this especially, though Patrice doesn't hold anything back and Hinx is a force of nature that shows Bond his limits. He's a trained man fighting other trained men, many who are in the same service as him, so from those guys he really has to work to survive. Hell, even Greene really killed him, because he was an unpredictable madman with an axe.

Of course he took out a few guys in an elevator, they were basically just glorified bodyguards. Craig's Bond is ex-Royal Navy and eats them for breakfast. But in the fights where he's up against equals, you can see it's not a walk in the park for him.

The parkour chase you take issue with actually goes a long way towards showing that Bond is terribly imperfect. Mollaka is perfect in his timing and ability to land jumps and slides, whereas Bond jumps, nearly falls off the crane, and almost breaks his neck or back with his next leap that sends him smashing into a mess of metal, the only thing that could soften his hard landing. When Mollaka leaps over walls, Craig Bond smashes through them because he just can't be bothered. He's clearly the far lesser man in the chase, and ultimately has to create a raucous to get his man in the end.

We can also see from QoS and SP that he's not an ace pilot, but knows enough to get himself out of some scrapes when he needs to. He's very much a resourceful man instead of an expert. He'll take a car or plane, use them in an improvisational manner to get what he needs, and tries not to kill himself in the process. Even his bike skills are rusty, as in SF, where he really can't judge the control of the bike well enough and often has to slow down to avoid careening into walls.

But at the very least the basis he has in combat and in vehicles is very much down to his training and naval past. You'd expect a man with the military history of Bond to at least have a bit of comfort with all kinds of operational devices or vehicles, either from mandated practice or through his own leisure time being a maverick off duty. And Craig's Bond does give off that feeling to me. The adrenaline junkie who likes to try anything, to pick up a new skill he could use later.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 13,894

You've just hit the nail on the head.

Was there something about boxing too?
    I'll admit I miss the old days when Bond had to use his smarts or something in the room to take out his opponent. I didn't mind the parkour because I thought Bond was outmatched by Mollaka in terms of aerial skills. However, when he did catch up to him it was no contest.

I get your point though. That's why I think Craig wouldn't necessarily win a fight with any of them. I can just see the wily old pros finding a way to neutralize him and then making some glib remark as he lies beaten on the floor.

Yes, and he wrote a manual on hand to hand combat.
    That's why I think Craig wouldn't necessarily win a fight with any of them. I can just see the wily old pros finding a way to neutralize him and then making some glib remark as he lies beaten on the floor.

Hmm, I dunno. Craig Bond is trained in such a way that his fighting is internationally influenced. Before he got into the ring with you he would ask you how you wanted to be killed. Would you like it the Israeli way? The Filipino way? Maybe the Brazilian? He could even kill you the old fashioned way, bar brawler style, like a true Londoner. That's what makes him dangerous to me. He's a killing machine, but a very fluid and mixed one.

Some of the other Bonds maybe boxed at Eton and did alright, but how long would they last against a guy who fought like that on his worst day?
    That's why I think Craig wouldn't necessarily win a fight with any of them. I can just see the wily old pros finding a way to neutralize him and then making some glib remark as he lies beaten on the floor.

Hmm, I dunno. Craig Bond is trained in such a way that his fighting is internationally influenced. Before he got into the ring with you he would ask you how you wanted to be killed. Would you like it the Israeli way? The Filipino way? Maybe the Brazilian? He could even kill you the old fashioned way, bar brawler style, like a true Londoner. That's what makes him dangerous to me. He's a killing machine, but a very fluid and mixed one.

Some of the other Bonds maybe boxed at Eton and did alright, but how long would they last against a guy who fought like that on his worst day?
    There's just something about the way he comes at someone that reminds me of the villains in the old films. Too impetuous and overconfident. The other actors were always physically outmatched and yet found some technique, item in the room, or method (many times unfairly) to take their opponent out in a defensive manner. An example is Connery thrashing the Samoan (or Japanese) chap in Osato's office with the use of the statue, or even how he took out Hans. I can see Rog going for a spray or kicking Craig in the privates to take him down as he came charging at him.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 13,894

Yes, and he wrote a manual on hand to hand combat.

Thought so. I could probably do with re-reading the books. I think it was 4, maybe 5 , years ago that I read them all (except the Benson short stories).

There's just something about the way he comes at someone that reminds me of the villains in the old films. Too impetuous and overconfident. The other actors were always physically outmatched and yet found some technique, item in the room, or method (many times unfairly) to take their opponent out in a defensive manner. An example is Connery thrashing the Samoan (or Japanese) chap in Osato's office with the use of the statue, or even how he took out Hans. I can see Rog going for a spray or kicking Craig in the privates to take him down as he came charging at him.

That's what Craig does as well in many fights. Fisher in CR, Slate in QoS, Hinx in SP. I don't see it as over confidence, he just knows people need killed and he doesn't draw it out. In many of his fights he's also being aggressed upon, so he's ending something he didn't start as effectively as he can.

Thought so. I could probably do with re-reading the books. I think it was 4, maybe 5 , years ago that I read them all (except the Benson short stories).

That doesn t take long. There are only seven books according to Brosnan.

That doesn t take long. There are only seven books according to Brosnan.

And starting with Dr No, no less. Should be able to shoot through them in no time.

That's what Craig does as well in many fights. Fisher in CR, Slate in QoS, Hinx in SP. I don't see it as over confidence, he just knows people need killed and he doesn't draw it out. In many of his fights he's also being aggressed upon, so he's ending something he didn't start as effectively as he can.
    Yes, that's true, but it would be nice to see a little less aggression and more smarts, which is what makes the older Bond fights interesting to watch. A little slower pacing too. Even in SP he starts going at Hinx foolishly, and gets thrashed. He finally met his match. If Madeline hadn't shot Hinx, Bond would have been dead.

I really liked the fight in MI-RN at the opera because of this. Cruise was outmatched but the pace of the fight reminded me of the old Bond classics.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Craig would be last Bond standing.
    Probably Laz given his military experience. Craig would probably be second place, although I have a feeling Connery has been in a few more fights than he has so maybe he'd be second.
  • Barry Nelson...
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Bumping this cause I'm bored. :)

If we're talking about real-life actors, Lazenby is the best fighter by far. The only way he'd lose is due to variables like the rest ganging up on him or something. Craig is probably second, on account of his build and a more developed fighting style than the others. Connery comes in third. Moore can probably hit hard if he wanted to but if his fighting style is anything like those in his Bond movies then his glacial karate chops and head-grab punches would be far too slow. He's also disadvantaged by his age. Brosnan and Dalton don't really have any standout traits. That's a fist-fight, by the way. Have no idea how a ski chase, boat chase or gun fight etc. would turn out with the real actors.

In terms of the Bonds in the movies themselves, then Connery, Lazenby and Craig lose a fistfight because they're too realistic. Connery was beaten up pretty hard by a few average men in Dr No and Bambi and Thumper crushed him in DAF. He'd hold his own if he had a few objects to ram and throw (see the PTS and Disco Volante fights in TB and the fight against the Rock's granddad in YOLT), but otherwise he's out. He also nearly lost to Grant in FRWL despite getting the jump on him with the tear gas.

Craig and Lazenby have more developed fighting techniques, are faster, and would come out on top in a martial sense. On the other hand, they're still within the boundaries of realistic humans. Lazenby's pretty durable since he tanked quite a few of hotel dude's blows, while Craig seems stronger based on how casually he sent Slate through doors in QoS.

Dalton seems like a pretty regular human as far as physical traits go. A random dude in the LTK bar brawl got him bleeding with two hits. He also only managed to shatter one leg of a chair when he smashed it into a guy in TLD — compare that to Connery using entire sofas as a battering ram, Moore smashing entire chairs on people, etc. He also doesn't appear particularly resourceful as to his surroundings, especially compared to the other Bonds. Apart from a good headbutt, he's got the least going for him.

Moore and Brosnan would probably be discounted by most because their fighting styles look considerably sloppier, but they've got the advantage of being literally superhuman. Three big dudes were beating Brosnan up in TND and he just got up and smashed all of them in a fight. He also shrugged off being cut by lasers in DAD.

Moore has cartoonish levels of strength (a single punch or shoulder barge knocks people back unrealistic amounts) and durability (he tanks an awful lot without being seriously hurt, except in TMWTGG, and even then he shrugged off a glass bottle being broken on the back of his head). So Brosnan and Moore probably just tank everything and eventually outlast the others or win through using the environment (they were the best at it).

In a gunfight, Craig might be the most accurate pistol marksman after his performance in SP. The rest are fairly even with a pistol (can't remember Lazenby's performances with his Walther). If you involve automatic weapons, though, Brosnan destroys everyone here.

In a skiing contest, Moore eviscerates the competition. For a boat chase, either Moore or Brosnan. Car chase would go to Brosnan. In terms of battles from insane heights and other stunt-like circumstances, Moore comes out on top, then Brosnan, then Dalton, then Craig. Can't really judge Connery or Lazenby in that area.