Going away or coming back?

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Get better soon @WillyGalore, my grandmother had it a couple of times and I remember she said it was the worst pain she ever went through apart from giving birth.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sandy wrote:
    Get better soon @WillyGalore, my grandmother had it a couple of times and I remember she said it was the worst pain she ever went through apart from giving birth.

Our grandmothers must think alike!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Hi everyone. I'm back after being gone for about a year.

Had a huge computer crash and it took about me about a couple of months to get that restored. I wish I could that say was the worst of it, but I can't. Right after that, I caught a case of costochondritis, which is an inflammation of the cartilage in the rib cage. It was very painful and initially I thought I was having a heart attack. Took about a couple of weeks to recover from that. Was given a couple weeks of anti-biotics and was told I'd be fine.

Again, it got worse. While I recovered from the costochondritis, it did have a cause and effect. A couple of weeks later, I wasn't feeling well. Saw the doctor he told me I had Influenza II. Initially I thought I was going through the stages of having it. Heavy sweating, burning up feeling, lack of appetite, frequent trips to the bathroom, etc. Was taking all sorts of over the counter meds, but nothing was working. I lost 30 pounds in about a three week span. Some days I could make it to work and other days I couldn't.

I was also coughing up the yucky yellow stuff. Initially I thought it was from being decongested. At the same time, I was having trouble breathing. I could only go so far before being winded. Saw the same doctor, had me do some respiratory tests, which I struggled through and then scheduled me for a Cat scan. In three weeks time. I wasn't getting any better.

It all came to a head in late April. I felt well enough to go to work, so I drove to work. I was fine driving. When I got out of the car, I collapsed. Luckily, I work at a Veteran's hospital. I was able to call a co-worker and we happen to have a disabled worker who had a wheelchair available. Two co-workers got me to the ER. My blood pressure at the time was 60/40. After some lab tests and a cat scan, it was determined I had pneumonia (not Influenza II) and empyema, which is build up of fluid in the chest cavity. The empyema caused my right lung to collapse, resulting in my difficulty in breathing.

I got the fluid drained from my chest cavity (supposedly 40 pounds worth) after being hooked up to it for a few days. I was in the hospital for a week on that and an oxygen tank so I could breathe. I went from 235 pounds to 160 pounds in a month's time. I was released from the hospital, but was mostly in bed for about three months. I had to use the oxygen machine to get my lung back to normal. I nearly lost my right lung from this experience.

For the next three months, I was mostly in bed. Had to stay on the oxygen machine at least half of the time and when I slept. When I was off of it, I was struggling to breathe. Got out of breath just going 15 feet to the bathroom. People who saw and visited me told me that I looked like a zombie, an Auschwitz escapee and made a couple of ladies break down in tears seeing me. Didn't recognize myself in the mirror.

Slowly but surely my lung recovered. Was able to go up and down stairs OK. Worked my way to walking to my car, my mail box, walking down the street, until I was able to walk without any issues, gained some (but not all) of my weight back. Went back to work in September and let's just say there was a lot of it waiting for me.

I also found out I was diabetic during that time, so another battle I had to fight. This was a slow recovery process for me. Today, health-wise, I'm back to normal.

Some of you did e-mail me to check to see how I was doing and I thank you very much for your concerns. I regret that I did not reply back and I sincerely apologize to everyone for not doing so. I've been very pre-occupied at work and have since started seeing someone which kept me away. I'm very glad to be back and will try to visit on here a lot more often.

R,
    Kerim (Ted)

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Kerim,
    Man am I glad to hear from you again! Welcome back, sir!
    I hope we can help you to feel better.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 4,422
    That's awful @Kerim. Glad to have you back. Your wit was sorely missed!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    It is wonderful to see you again Ted, here and also still being with us. No one deserves what you've been through which is a truly remarkable story in itself and I'm even more thankful for seeing you now, then I would have been if you hadn't told us this.

Welcome home. :)

You have been missed.
    That sounds like a terrible experience @Kerim but the important thing is that you survived to tell the story. Oh man, I could hug you right now! >:D<
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    It is delightful to see you back here Kerim, you have been sincerely missed by all of us!
    I am happy to hear that you recovered and are now feeling well!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    On this day, February the 23rd, I saw a ghost brought back to life. By Jove, @Kerim, it is with sincere joy that I say, Welcome back! We have thought of you often, hoping such a day as this would come. I am most sorry to hear of your heath problems as of late, but your victory over the nasty conditions that have plagued your life in the past year only strengthens you and proves you to be a fighter even against the greatest adversity. It feels as if the storm clouds passing over as of late have made way for clear skies. A world-class member has returned home to us.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,864
    @Kerim, you will notice that a lot of us were wondering what had become of you if you read over some threads on the topic. Very sorry to hear of your litany of illnesses - that's too much for any human being to go through but boy am I glad you got through it like the trooper you undoubtedly are. We're all glad here to have you back with us contributing again. I send my blessings and well wishes to you and yours. Great to have you back amongst us again! Keep well!

--Dragonpol.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Dear Ted there has been a great deal of sadness and loss here of late but it really does make my heart glad to see you back here I do very much hope that things continue to get better for you
    Welcome Back We have all missed you .
    @Kerim, it's good to have you back and that you're in good shape now!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    As you are undoubtedly aware, you have been missed @Kerim.
    Great to see you back among us. This has started my day with a smile.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Welcome back @Kerim, sucks to see what had happened in your absence.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I cannot even find all the right words, @Kerim (Ted). What a happy surprise to hear from you again!! :-bd

It sounds like you went through a real nightmare, one that took months and months. I am so thankful you are well now, thankful for that more than anything. I am grateful you came back to our forum. You have been missed for so many reasons - your kindness and wit being foremost. I feel like I have gotten a friend back from impossible odds. I had almost given up hope. There has been great sadness here too often, and most heavily with SirHenry/Greg's passing. The joy we feel upon your return is very sincere, Kerim.

Thank you for letting us know what you have endured. I hope that now, in 2014, you have many joys and blessings and a far easier time in life. It sounds like you met someone, too, which is special. Please do not work too hard, and do stay in touch. >:D< Along with Sandy, I send you some big hugs!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @Kerim, so very good see you here! Sir Henry sort of reluctantly drafted me to complete your reviews so we could do final results, now you might be able to finish them yourself, eh?
    Glad to have you back!
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    @chrisisall, be assured SirHenry was happy to have your reviews, even if Kerim had been able to stay the course. More originals,the better. :) I hope Kerim can find time, over the next few weeks, to get a bit caught up. There is much for him to read, just on that one thread for sure.

Regarding Sir Henry/Greg: I am mailing a short letter to his family this week. I have not heard any news from them, but I am sure they find comfort in all of our comments and thoughts regarding Greg. I hope they read that thread when they feel up to it.

Greg's family's address is on one of the latest pages on that thread, if anyone would still like to also mail a card or note to them.
    @chrisisall, be assured SirHenry was happy to have your reviews, even if Kerim had been able to stay the course. More originals,the better. :) I hope Kerim can find time, over the next few weeks, to get a bit caught up. There is much for him to read, just on that one thread for sure.

Regarding Sir Henry/Greg: I am mailing a short letter to his family this week. I have not heard any news from them, but I am sure they find comfort in all of our comments and thoughts regarding Greg. I hope they read this thread when they feel up to it.

Greg's family's address is on a previous page, if anyone would still like to also mail a card or note to them.

I've been meaning to send a sympathy card, though maybe it is a tad late? I just want to send something more personal and tangible from the heart.
    It is definitely not too late, they are still grieving and would like to hear from Greg's friends, I feel sure of that. It does help.
    It is definitely not too late, they are still grieving and would like to hear from Greg's friends, I feel sure of that. It does help.

Thanks. I knew Greg only too briefly but I still want the family to know I (and others) really do care and think of them often.
    There are about 140 comments on that thread, which is so nice.
    The address is on the most recent page, page 5.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Thank you all. I really am glad to be back here.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am a newcomer to you, but want to say welcome back as well. I have read several of your old posts, so feel that I know you an itsy bitsy bit. Sorry for your pains and troubles, happy that you are back on your feet. You have been mourned for dead. Check out the "Members we miss" thread. There is some praise for you there. :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Great to see your return, @Kerim. We were worried you were no longer with us. Good to hear you've overcome your battles and are back to full health.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Very happy to see you've returned, @Kerim, and I'm also happy that your health is back to normal! I know that we've all missed you since you've been gone, wonderful to have you back.
    Wow. I'd heard so much about @Kerim from all the other members here, it's great to see your return. I've read many of your previous posts, it's easy to see why your regarded as the wittiest member of this forum. Welcome back.

I'm pleased to say I'm over the worst of the shingles now and I no longer need any pain meds. My face is so itchy though that I actually want to tear my skin off.

In case any of you are interested to see what it looks like (and why would you be?!), I'll put a photo of me in a spoiler.

I'm thinking of changing my name to either Harvey Dent or better yet, Janus ;-)
    BhZXrngCEAAi0tI.jpg
    Welcome back @kerim ,and i'm glad you are feeling better, old mate !!
    Wow. I'd heard so much about @Kerim from all the other members here, it's great to see your return. I've read many of your previous posts, it's easy to see why your regarded as the wittiest member of this forum. Welcome back.

I'm pleased to say I'm over the worst of the shingles now and I no longer need any pain meds. My face is so itchy though that I actually want to tear my skin off.

In case any of you are interested to see what it looks like (and why would you be?!), I'll put a photo of me in a spoiler.

I'm thinking of changing my name to either Harvey Dent or better yet, Janus ;-)
    BhZXrngCEAAi0tI.jpg

That looks pretty bad, WG. I had it on half of my upper body, but not in the face. And I only had it once ever (so far), so hope it will not return once you get well.
    PS In Norwegian we call it helvetesild, meaning hellfire. You can see why, I guess.
    Glad to know you are recovering @WillyGalore. That does indeed look bad but you'll be fine in no time. But no matter what you do resist the urge to scratch or you might get yourself into trouble.