Guess the Bond film by the description of a scene

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I know it's not what you think of, but the next thing that came to my mind is Ouromov saying, "Use the bumper...that's what it's for." Or is it?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I know it's not what you think of, but the next thing that came to my mind is Ouromov saying, "Use the bumper...that's what it's for." Or is it?

No, sorry. It's not a scene from GoldenEye.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Bond attaching the Helicopter rope around Sanchez' plane in LTK? It's a plane to sea.
    The accident might be the car with Lupe Lamora crashing at the airport. Sanchez drives the plane away. The rope is the brake that stops the plane.
    Sounds plausible, but did I get it right?
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Bond attaching the Helicopter rope around Sanchez' plane in LTK? It's a plane to sea.
    The accident might be the car with Lupe Lamora crashing at the airport. Sanchez drives the plane away. The rope is the brake that stops the plane.
    Sounds plausible, but did I get it right?

Imaginative guess, but sadly not the one I was thinking of. It's not a scene from Licence to Kill.

Another clue:

The short car journey consisted of travelling in too close proximity from one plane to another.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm really just poking in the fog here without looking at any of the films, but a car jouney in too close proximity between two planes? This is going to be a big facepalm moment for those of us trying to guess, I'm afraid.

Something to do with Mrs. Bell's flying lesson in LALD?
    I'm really just poking in the fog here without looking at any of the films, but a car jouney in too close proximity between two planes? This is going to be a big facepalm moment for those of us trying to guess, I'm afraid.

Something to do with Mrs. Bell's flying lesson in LALD?

You're getting warm. Can you think of the specific moment?
    I'm afraid this will have to wait until tomorrow. If I now get up and insert the LALD Blu-ray, my wife may divorce me.
    I'm afraid this will have to wait until tomorrow. If I now get up and insert the LALD Blu-ray, my wife may divorce me.

That's fine. You've correctly identified the scene in which this takes place. For me it's probably one of the funniest moments in any Bond film though it's sadly largely forgotten.
    "Shiiiit!"?
    "Shiiiit!"?

No, not that part. It doesn't feature Bond or Mrs Bell in the plane but concerns the bad guys.
    OK, that was just a closing remark from me, with the first four-letter word in a Bond movie. Other than that, see above.
    OK, that was just a closing remark from me, with the first four-letter word in a Bond movie. Other than that, see above.

That's fine. I didn't think it would be so hard but it probably is a more obscure scene than many others that would come to mind first.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    "Remember, you have a licence to kill, not to break the traffic laws"?

No, not that dialogue from Q in GoldenEye, sadly.

The clue above is a paraphrased version of dialogue spoken in the specific scene that I am thinking of.

Ok, when Scaramanga's goons chase Bond and Mrs. Bell in the plane, they smash into two small planes inside the hangar, yet go on. One guy in the green 1973 (of course) Chevrolet Chevelle then tells the driver: "Leroy, slow down. For Pete's sake, slow down." And Leroy answers: "I can't find the brake". Resulting in another collision with a plane outside the hangar. (Plus further collisions involving the blue 1973 Chevy truck and the orange 1973 Chevy Nova who lands on the wing of the DC-3.)

Dragonpol wrote: »
    "Remember, you have a licence to kill, not to break the traffic laws"?

No, not that dialogue from Q in GoldenEye, sadly.

The clue above is a paraphrased version of dialogue spoken in the specific scene that I am thinking of.

Ok, when Scaramanga's goons chase Bond and Mrs. Bell in the plane, they smash into two small planes inside the hangar, yet go on. One guy in the green 1973 (of course) Chevrolet Chevelle then tells the driver: "Leroy, slow down. For Pete's sake, slow down." And Leroy answers: "I can't find the brake". Resulting in another collision with a plane outside the hangar. (Plus further collisions involving the blue 1973 Chevy truck and the orange 1973 Chevy Nova who lands on the wing of the DC-3.)

That's the scene! Well done, @j_w_pepper! After the passenger tells Leroy to slow down another passenger pipes in with, "Do what the man say!" hence my paraphrasing of the dialogue above. They hit the plane really hard as the brakes have went and the way the people in the car jerk forward is something I find hilarious. Then another car goes up sideways on the plane's wing. Definitely one of the funniest scenes in any Bond film!

So, over to you @j_w_pepper for the next scene description. :)
    Thank you. The following is a bit of ad-hoc and should be relatively easy.

A man comes, but he travels much faster than he usually did before. And another man also arrives at the same time.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Bond arriving at Gustav's ice hotel.
    Not the journey I'm thinking of.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 17,801
    Could it be Bond's plane landing in the US in LALD, as predicted in Solitaire's tarot reading with the other man arriving being the driver Charlie?
    No, it's not that one, either. I used the initial words on purpose, of course, but thought it would be clear from the following that it was not the LALD arrival.
    No, it's not that one, either. I used the initial words on purpose, of course, but thought it would be clear from the following that it was not the LALD arrival.

Yes, I didn't think that the second part matched and I was relying on memory as regards what scene came next.
    MR pre-title sequence? The men being Bond and the pilot?
    edited February 2023 Posts: 8,687
    No, I wasn't thinking about the MR "free fall", but rather of a more conventional form of travelling. But you're not really far away here.

Edit: Once more pondering the title of the thread, I guess I have to hand this to you, since it is indeed MR. Just not the PTS, if you care to guess once more which scene I meant.
    Bond arrives in Rio with the Concorde, which certainly was the fastest he had travelled until then. Does Jaws arrive at the same time? Bond also flies a Space Shuttle, which may just be a bit slower than the Concorde (depending how far into Space he needed to get), but here all other men are either travelling with him or are already there.
    Right, I was thinking about the Concorde (the Shuttle came after that). I've always thought that Jaws was on the same flight as Bond, since he was there in Rio the same night and got on a Rio flight right after "Well, if you can get HIM...". And I kept wondering why Bond didn't spot him among the passengers. But looking at the scene where Jaws goes through security, "Flight BA 128 to Rio" is announced...while Bond travels on an Air France Concorde. So I guess that Jaws did use a "regular" British Airways flight early enough to get to Rio about the same time as Bond on AF.

Either way, your turn, @zebrafish.
    Which movie is this from:

A Cognac is offered, but never drunk.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 8,687
    Is that really "cognac" in the movie, or a "rather disappointing brandy"...which is also a cognac but not named as such? While Bond knows all about its shortcomings, M seems to only sniff it afterwards, if I recall that correctly. If that is so, it's the Colonel Smithers scene in GF.

I don't recall any actual "cognac" mentioned in the Bond movies by that name.

I already have to correct that, since Bond in GE reminds M that her "predecessor kept a bottle of cognac in the top drawer"... but he's not offered one, I think.
    Well spotted, yet it is not GE I am thinking of. And it is quite certainly Cognac when you see the bottle.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Was it the bottle M kept sampling in NTTD.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Mallory pours a cognac for M in SF before discussing her retirement plan, but I don't think she drinks it.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 4,312
    Exactly, dear @QBranch , that was the scene I had in mind. M is so appalled by the suggestion of her involuntary retirement that she leaves without taking a nip. I love the professional calm with which Mallory delivers the news and one senses that both know that that's how politics work.
    Btw, the shape of the bottle is clearly Cognac, not Whiskey.