The Film Noir Thread

1246715

Comments

  • Posts: 15,800
    Dwayne wrote: »
    An overview of films featuring Phillp Marlowe.


    I have a vague memory of POODLE SPRINGS (1998) back in the day. I was especially curious about setting the character in the early 1960s and looking to settle down. As noted, I wasn't into noir at the time so I may or may not have watched it on HBO (IIRC).

    That's a nice refresher of Marlowe on screen. I frequently forget that James Garner played Marlowe. And boy, do I dislike Gould as Marlowe. I don't know how close he is to the books, having never read them. But taking The Long Goodbye as it's own thing, Gould is is so miscast. He comes off to.... gormless.

    After NTTD I tend to think of Elliot Gould as the Daniel Craig of Marlowe portrayals:
    Gould's Marlowe feeds his cat (something Bogart would never be caught dead doing), and Craig's Bond feeds his kid (something Connery would never be caught dead doing).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Posts: 13,894
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Dwayne wrote: »
    An overview of films featuring Phillp Marlowe.


    I have a vague memory of POODLE SPRINGS (1998) back in the day. I was especially curious about setting the character in the early 1960s and looking to settle down. As noted, I wasn't into noir at the time so I may or may not have watched it on HBO (IIRC).

    That's a nice refresher of Marlowe on screen. I frequently forget that James Garner played Marlowe. And boy, do I dislike Gould as Marlowe. I don't know how close he is to the books, having never read them. But taking The Long Goodbye as it's own thing, Gould is is so miscast. He comes off to.... gormless.

    After NTTD I tend to think of Elliot Gould as the Daniel Craig of Marlowe portrayals:
    Gould's Marlowe feeds his cat (something Bogart would never be caught dead doing), and Craig's Bond feeds his kid (something Connery would never be caught dead doing).

    You might have something there, as both Gould and Craig are my least favourite in their respective characters. ;) Though there are still some Marlowe films I need to get around to seeing. Of those I have seen...

    1. Mitchum
    2. Caan
    3. Bogie
    4. Garner
    5. Powell
    6. Gould
  • Posts: 15,800
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Dwayne wrote: »
    An overview of films featuring Phillp Marlowe.


    I have a vague memory of POODLE SPRINGS (1998) back in the day. I was especially curious about setting the character in the early 1960s and looking to settle down. As noted, I wasn't into noir at the time so I may or may not have watched it on HBO (IIRC).

    That's a nice refresher of Marlowe on screen. I frequently forget that James Garner played Marlowe. And boy, do I dislike Gould as Marlowe. I don't know how close he is to the books, having never read them. But taking The Long Goodbye as it's own thing, Gould is is so miscast. He comes off to.... gormless.

    After NTTD I tend to think of Elliot Gould as the Daniel Craig of Marlowe portrayals:
    Gould's Marlowe feeds his cat (something Bogart would never be caught dead doing), and Craig's Bond feeds his kid (something Connery would never be caught dead doing).

    You might have something there, as both Gould and Craig are my least favourite in their respective characters. ;) Though there are still some Marlowe films I need to get around to seeing. Of those I have seen...

    1. Mitchum
    2. Caan
    3. Bogie
    4. Garner
    5. Powell
    6. Gould

    I suppose my ranking would be:

    1. Bogie
    2. Mitchum
    3. Powell
    4. Powers Boothe
    5. Caan
    6. Robert Montgomery
    7. Gould
    8. Garner
    9. George Montgomery

    I have yet to see Danny Glover's take on the role. James Garner is one of my favorite actors and heroes, but his Marlowe was closer to Jim Rockford and that film, IMO lacks a noir feeling.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Posts: 2,617
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns : RE DOUBLE INDEMNITY; sorry for the delay in posting the links to this;

    https://blogs.loc.gov/loc/2022/03/the-very-polite-letters-behind-double-indemnity/

    Note from James M. Cain to Fred MacMurrary
    Double-Cain-to-Mac-1.png
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Posts: 23,255
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns : RE DOUBLE INDEMNITY; sorry for the delay in posting the links to this;

    https://blogs.loc.gov/loc/2022/03/the-very-polite-letters-behind-double-indemnity/

    Note from James M. Cain to Fred MacMurrary
    Double-Cain-to-Mac-1.png

    The ultimate praise from the creator of the character, it must have been a proud moment for MacMurrary. That reminds me I really should revisit The Postman Always Rings Twice.
  • Posts: 15,800
    Fred MacMurray's great. Strangely, DOUBLE INDEMNITY is a noir I haven't watched hundreds of times like some of the others. I saw it on the big screen with CRISS CROSS about 25 years ago and both were amazing.

    As iconic as DOUBLE INDEMNITY is, I actually prefer THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE. Mostly because I'm on a huge Lana Turner fixation lately and I'm also a big John Garfield fan.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,255
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Fred MacMurray's great. Strangely, DOUBLE INDEMNITY is a noir I haven't watched hundreds of times like some of the others. I saw it on the big screen with CRISS CROSS about 25 years ago and both were amazing.

    As iconic as DOUBLE INDEMNITY is, I actually prefer THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE. Mostly because I'm on a huge Lana Turner fixation lately and I'm also a big John Garfield fan.

    I have two huge boxes full of DVD's in storage I am pretty sure I have The Postman Always Rings Twice I may have the Remake also. I am going to designate a shelf to Noir and Crime Thrillers next to my PC (I have started watching a lot of classic films on my PC since I upgraded) I will sift through my storage. Its about time I started watching all the films I did decades ago, contemporary film really does not appeal to me right now.

    In my youth Bogart, Cagney and Edward G. Robinson were films I bought from that era. Just looking at my copy of Key Largo now great movie.
  • Posts: 15,800
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Fred MacMurray's great. Strangely, DOUBLE INDEMNITY is a noir I haven't watched hundreds of times like some of the others. I saw it on the big screen with CRISS CROSS about 25 years ago and both were amazing.

    As iconic as DOUBLE INDEMNITY is, I actually prefer THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE. Mostly because I'm on a huge Lana Turner fixation lately and I'm also a big John Garfield fan.

    I have two huge boxes full of DVD's in storage I am pretty sure I have The Postman Always Rings Twice I may have the Remake also. I am going to designate a shelf to Noir and Crime Thrillers next to my PC (I have started watching a lot of classic films on my PC since I upgraded) I will sift through my storage. Its about time I started watching all the films I did decades ago, contemporary film really does not appeal to me right now.

    In my youth Bogart, Cagney and Edward G. Robinson were films I bought from that era. Just looking at my copy of Key Largo now great movie.

    When I was a kid just getting into classic films, Bogart, Cagney and Robinson were my heroes. I loved the '30's era Warner Bros gangster films.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Posts: 2,617
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    .... Mostly because I'm on a huge Lana Turner fixation lately....

    Really?! I had no idea! =))

    James M. Cain actually wrote the POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE before DOUBLE INDEMNITY. And while they share a similar overall plot, both have very different vibes IMO.

    In POSTMAN, there are times when we actually identify with Turner’s Cora Smith. Cora really does want to work hard and make the Twin Oats Dinner successful; dreams that are derailed when her husband decides to move so that she can take care of his dying sister. The fact that he doesn’t consult her about this decision is another factor which allows the audience to have a degree of sympathy for her character.

    While issues between Barbara Stanwyck’s Phyllis Dietrichson and her husband are alluded to, I never have any degree of empathy with her character. She is a femme fatale through and through.

    I generally prefer DOUBLE INDEMNITY to POSTMAN, but both are excellent films.

    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Speaking of KEY LARGO, Claire Trevor is also excellent in the noirs MURDER, MY SWEET and (especially) BORN TO KILL. And back to KEY LARGO....
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,255
    I will need to revisit a lot of these films to form an opinion on which I regard as best, The Big Sleep and Kiss Me Deadly are the only films I watch with regularity. After recently watching Double Indemnity it is definitely around the top tier.
  • Posts: 15,800
    I never tire of KEY LARGO. Most of Bogie's noirs have a massive re-watchability factor for me.
    THE BIG SLEEP remains my all time favorite film, (though OUT OF THE PAST is close).
    I have a close friend who is just getting into noir with DOUBLE INDEMNITY being one of his favorites so far. In fact he was the friend I dragged along to that wonderful double feature ages ago. He is a bit more generous in his definitions of noir: CASABLANCA and classic television shows like SPENSER FOR HIRE and MAGNUM P.I. he feels can qualify.

    Here's one I'm on the fence with:

    SIROCCO (1951)


    What do you think, @Dwayne ?

    Noir or not?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Posts: 2,617
    I'm not familiar with SIROCCO @ToTheRight. I'll have to look at that one some time.
  • Posts: 15,800
    Dwayne wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with SIROCCO @ToTheRight. I'll have to look at that one some time.

    I like it. It's got Lee J Cobb, Nick Dennis and Zero Mostel alongside Bogie.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,255
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Dwayne wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with SIROCCO @ToTheRight. I'll have to look at that one some time.

    I like it. It's got Lee J Cobb, Nick Dennis and Zero Mostel alongside Bogie.

    Sheer coincidence I am watching a film with Lee J Cobb now, the Noir The Man Who Cheated Himself first time watch. Its also stars John Dall.
    MV5BY2EzYjlmMTUtYmY1ZC00OTBiLTg0ZTctYmYxZWM1MjU1Y2Y3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUxODE0MDY@._V1_.jpg
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Posts: 2,617
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns . THE MAN WHO CHEATED HIMSELF is an underrated noir IMO. It is really notable by its' "against type" casting.

    Lee J. Cobb - The romantic lead!!! :))
    Jane Wyatt - Spock's Mother and the mother in TV's Father Knows Best as the femme fatale!!! =))

    Yet it somehow works...and works very well. And (as you stated) you have John Dall. Of real note, to we media hounds is the presence of Lisa Howard. After her brief acting career was over, Ms. Howard became - for a time - a kind of early 1960's version of Barbara Walters.

    If you don't already have it, I highly recommend the Flicker Alley restored blu-ray of the film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,255
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns . THE MAN WHO CHEATED HIMSELF is an underrated noir IMO. It is really notable by its' "against type" casting.

    Lee J. Cobb - The romantic lead!!! :))
    Jane Wyatt - Spock's Mother and the mother in TV's Father Knows Best as the femme fatale!!! =))

    Yet it somehow works...and works very well. And (as you stated) you have John Dall. Of real note, to we media hounds is the presence of Lisa Howard. After her brief acting career was over, Ms. Howard became - for a time - a kind of early 1960's version of Barbara Walters.

    If you don't already have it, I highly recommend the Flicker Alley restored blu-ray of the film.

    I was just thinking that Jane Wyatt (Spock's Mum) appears misscast. Lee J. Cobb is really underplaying his role.

    I am watching it on late night TV, I was channel hopping and stumbled upon it.

    I read there was a recent restoration.

    Edited: Odd film it certainly had good moments and some interesting locations and camera shots. At times it seemed to drift into kitchen sink drama territory. Jane Wyatts character I would stay well clear 😂
  • Posts: 15,800
    I should see if I have THE MAN WHO CHEATED HIMSELF in one of my DVD collections. Been ages since I watched it
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Posts: 23,255
    R.fe82bb897cb990f3236baa46956ea20e?rik=OcdWM7l4F%2bhNrg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fcd1.eju.tv%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2018%2f05%2f5af02d864160f.jpg&ehk=q1%2b5BO1x%2flOIDgZZLl8lAfXJzTm28ZnN2fHguO1s%2bg4%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

    Sad news James Caan has passed away.
  • Posts: 15,800
    R.fe82bb897cb990f3236baa46956ea20e?rik=OcdWM7l4F%2bhNrg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fcd1.eju.tv%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2018%2f05%2f5af02d864160f.jpg&ehk=q1%2b5BO1x%2flOIDgZZLl8lAfXJzTm28ZnN2fHguO1s%2bg4%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

    Sad news James Caan has passed away.

    Damn, We were just talking about him on this thread.
    Saddened to hear of his passing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,255
    I am watching The Brasher Doubloon 1947 before I go to work, the opening of the film was very similar to The Big Sleep. George Montgomery is likeable enough though I feel he is miscast. The film certainly has its atmospheric moments.

    Alas looking through my DVD storage I did not find much Noir my copies of Touch of Evil, The Maltese Falcon, To Have and Have Not and The Asphalt Jungle to name a few were all on VHS which I threw away years ago.

    I thought some of these films were on DVD, well it gives me a good reason to seek out the Blurays or 4K versions.
  • Posts: 15,800
    I am watching The Brasher Doubloon 1947 before I go to work, the opening of the film was very similar to The Big Sleep. George Montgomery is likeable enough though I feel he is miscast. The film certainly has its atmospheric moments.

    Alas looking through my DVD storage I did not find much Noir my copies of Touch of Evil, The Maltese Falcon, To Have and Have Not and The Asphalt Jungle to name a few were all on VHS which I threw away years ago.

    I thought some of these films were on DVD, well it gives me a good reason to seek out the Blurays or 4K versions.

    I'll have to watch that Marlowe film again. It's one I haven't seen a million times.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Posts: 23,255
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I am watching The Brasher Doubloon 1947 before I go to work, the opening of the film was very similar to The Big Sleep. George Montgomery is likeable enough though I feel he is miscast. The film certainly has its atmospheric moments.

    Alas looking through my DVD storage I did not find much Noir my copies of Touch of Evil, The Maltese Falcon, To Have and Have Not and The Asphalt Jungle to name a few were all on VHS which I threw away years ago.

    I thought some of these films were on DVD, well it gives me a good reason to seek out the Blurays or 4K versions.

    I'll have to watch that Marlowe film again. It's one I haven't seen a million times.

    I enjoyed it though the scene in Marlowe's apartment with the girl (I forget her name) as good as it was dragged a little, the story was good as expected though the adaption felt like it omitted a lot. Definitely worth a watch, Chandlers dialogue is just superb.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Posts: 2,617
    For the record @ToTheRight and @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, some film noirs can be found on YouTube for free (if don't mind the somewhat poor print quality).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Posts: 23,255
    Dwayne wrote: »
    For the record @ToTheRight and @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, some film noirs can be found on YouTube for free (if don't mind the somewhat poor print quality).

    Thatis where I found The Brasher Doubloon there is a lot of Marlowe content YouTube. I have saved a few Noir playlists to look at later.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 15,800
    Dwayne wrote: »
    For the record @ToTheRight and @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, some film noirs can be found on YouTube for free (if don't mind the somewhat poor print quality).

    Pretty convenient they turn up on Youtube. That's where I caught I THE JURY amongst others.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Posts: 23,255
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Dwayne wrote: »
    For the record @ToTheRight and @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, some film noirs can be found on YouTube for free (if don't mind the somewhat poor print quality).

    Pretty convenient they turn up on Youtube. That's where I caught I THE JURY amongst others.

    I will add I THE JURY to my playlist.

    I am looking to purchase The Big Heat with 'Supermans' Dad Glenn Ford, that movie is very highly rated and not sure I have watched it.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,617
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns :Don’t forget Phyllis Thaxter (ACT OF VIOLENCE, THE BREAKING POINT) also played “Ma Kent” in that Superman movie.
    movies_phyllis_thaxter_superman.jpg?crop=1xw:0.7112676056338029xh;center,top&resize=480:*

    As for THE BIG HEAT[/b], if you haven’t seen it before you are in for a big treat. In addition to Glenn Ford, you have Lee Marvin Jeanette Nolan and Jocelyn Brando (Marlon Brando’s sister). And – most importantly – you have the always lovely Gloria Grahame (as Lee Marvin’s moll GF).

    I’ve used this gif a few times on these forums to express my mood!:))
    gloria-grahame-in-a-lonely-place.gif

    THE BIG HEAT, can be thought of (IMO anyway) as the grandfather of all of the various “good cop takes on the mob and his own corrupt system” films. Interestingly, it is the Gloria’s character (Debbie Marsh) that eventually takes the mob down, and not Ford.
    A really fun watch, just be sure to make sure that your coffee pot isn’t on when you watch!!!!

    PS. “Sisters under the mink” would make a cool name for an indie new-wave band, but I'll settle for a good coffee mug.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Posts: 23,255
    Gloria Grahame has moves.

    Lee Marvin then there is a good chance I have seen it though remember very little, most of my education in Film was in my youth then I neglected a lot of Film for decades as life got in the way. I am revisiting and discovering new films now in my old age lol
  • Posts: 6,707
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns :Don’t forget Phyllis Thaxter (ACT OF VIOLENCE, THE BREAKING POINT) also played “Ma Kent” in that Superman movie.
    movies_phyllis_thaxter_superman.jpg?crop=1xw:0.7112676056338029xh;center,top&resize=480:*

    As for THE BIG HEAT[/b], if you haven’t seen it before you are in for a big treat. In addition to Glenn Ford, you have Lee Marvin Jeanette Nolan and Jocelyn Brando (Marlon Brando’s sister). And – most importantly – you have the always lovely Gloria Grahame (as Lee Marvin’s moll GF).

    I’ve used this gif a few times on these forums to express my mood!:))
    gloria-grahame-in-a-lonely-place.gif

    THE BIG HEAT, can be thought of (IMO anyway) as the grandfather of all of the various “good cop takes on the mob and his own corrupt system” films. Interestingly, it is the Gloria’s character (Debbie Marsh) that eventually takes the mob down, and not Ford.
    A really fun watch, just be sure to make sure that your coffee pot isn’t on when you watch!!!!

    PS. “Sisters under the mink” would make a cool name for an indie new-wave band, but I'll settle for a good coffee mug.
    I'll keep The Big Heat in mind then.

    ---

    Speaking of I, the Jury, anybody ever read the book? I haven't, only a few reviews, but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the quality of Mickey Spillane's writing.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 15,800
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns :Don’t forget Phyllis Thaxter (ACT OF VIOLENCE, THE BREAKING POINT) also played “Ma Kent” in that Superman movie.
    movies_phyllis_thaxter_superman.jpg?crop=1xw:0.7112676056338029xh;center,top&resize=480:*

    As for THE BIG HEAT[/b], if you haven’t seen it before you are in for a big treat. In addition to Glenn Ford, you have Lee Marvin Jeanette Nolan and Jocelyn Brando (Marlon Brando’s sister). And – most importantly – you have the always lovely Gloria Grahame (as Lee Marvin’s moll GF).

    I’ve used this gif a few times on these forums to express my mood!:))
    gloria-grahame-in-a-lonely-place.gif

    THE BIG HEAT, can be thought of (IMO anyway) as the grandfather of all of the various “good cop takes on the mob and his own corrupt system” films. Interestingly, it is the Gloria’s character (Debbie Marsh) that eventually takes the mob down, and not Ford.
    A really fun watch, just be sure to make sure that your coffee pot isn’t on when you watch!!!!

    PS. “Sisters under the mink” would make a cool name for an indie new-wave band, but I'll settle for a good coffee mug.
    I'll keep The Big Heat in mind then.

    ---

    Speaking of I, the Jury, anybody ever read the book? I haven't, only a few reviews, but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the quality of Mickey Spillane's writing.

    I read several of Mickey Spillane's books. He's pretty brutal and they're very pulpy. I, THE JURY was one of my favorites.
Sign In or Register to comment.