The Film Noir Thread

Comments

In spite of it's tv movie limitations, Poodle Springs features my 2nd favourite Marlowe after Mitchum. One for the controversial opinions thread, perhaps?

I saw POODLE SPRINGS for the first time a couple years ago and quite liked it. A great Philip Marlowe movie!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    An overview of films featuring Phillp Marlowe.

I have a vague memory of POODLE SPRINGS (1998) back in the day. I was especially curious about setting the character in the early 1960s and looking to settle down. As noted, I wasn't into noir at the time so I may or may not have watched it on HBO (IIRC).
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 2,895
    A Bond connection: two episodes of Philip Marlowe, Private Eye ("Smart Aleck Kill" and "The Pencil") were directed by Peter Hunt.
    Revelator wrote: »
    A Bond connection: two episodes of Philip Marlowe, Private Eye ("Smart Aleck Kill" and "The Pencil") were directed by Peter Hunt.

In addition, Michael Billington was in an episode and Maurice Binder did the titles early on.
    For those interested (and in the US), Barnes & Noble’s 50% off sale on Criterion DVDs/Blu-Rays starts tomorrow (July 1st).

Let the shopping commence....NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, ALL ABOUT EVE, NIGHT AND THE CITY...... the list is long. =D>
    That's great news, @Dwayne! Tons of great noir films on Criterion.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just finished watching Poodle Springs I thoroughly enjoyed that, great performances and intrigue. A few Bond connections Joe Don Baker and a FRWL bus billboard. I intend to do some research on the novel I am interested in how much was Chandler and as to whether he had the ending mapped out.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2022 Posts: 17,804
    Just finished watching Poodle Springs I thoroughly enjoyed that, great performances and intrigue. A few Bond connections Joe Don Baker and a FRWL bus billboard. I intend to do some research on the novel I am interested in how much was Chandler and as to whether he had the ending mapped out.

I believe that the first four chapters of what he intended to call The Poodle Springs Mystery were Chandler's. The rest was the work of the continuation author, Robert R. Parker. The first four chapters were first published in the book Raymond Chandler Speaking (1962) of which I have a copy. I don't think he had the rest of the book mapped out when he died in 1959 but I could well be wrong.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,327
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I believe that the first four chapters of what he intended to call The Poodle Springs Mystery were Chandler's. The rest was the work of the continuation author, Robert R. Parker. The first four chapters were first published in the book Raymond Chandler Speaking (1962) of which I have a copy. I don't think he had the rest of the book mapped out when he died in 1959 but I could well be wrong.

Thank you for that I have decided to purchase Chandlers Marlowe novels I have only experienced his work through TV and film. The Film adaption of Poodle Springs did feel a little abrupt at the end nevertheless I still thought it was good, a few reviewers stated the Novel is superior, I will read Poodle Springs first.
    Raymond Chandler is great. I read Farewell My Lovely and The Little Sister when I was a kid.
    I met Robert B. Parker at a book signing for Poodle Springs back in '89. I remember he was a pretty nice guy. I was quickly devouring his Spenser novels at the time.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Raymond Chandler is great. I read Farewell My Lovely and The Little Sister when I was a kid.
    I met Robert B. Parker at a book signing for Poodle Springs back in '89. I remember he was a pretty nice guy. I was quickly devouring his Spenser novels at the time.

I watched Spenser For Hire with Robert Urich TV show is that the same Spenser?

Yes. Urich also came back for four TV films based on the books. Later Joe Mantegna played Spenser in 3 films and just last year Mark Wahlberg did a reimagining of the character.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2022 Posts: 17,804

That's great that you got to meet him. I see that he sadly died in 2010. I did buy the novel Poodle Springs a few years ago when I saw it for sale in one of my second hand bookshop haunts. I remember being surprised that someone had been hired to finish the book as I wasn't aware that'd happened. I believe it was done as part of the celebrations for Chandler's Centenary in 1988.

Yes. Urich also came back for four TV films based on the books. Later Joe Mantegna played Spenser in 3 films and just last year Mark Wahlberg did a reimagining of the character.

Wahlberg in a film? I will have to have a look for that.

Edited: Spenser Confidential appears to be an Apple TV exclusive.

That's great that you got to meet him. I see that he sadly died in 2010. I did buy the novel Poodle Springs a few years ago when I saw it for sale in one of my second hand bookshop haunts. I remember being surprised that someone had been hired to finish the book as I wasn't aware that'd happened. I believe it was done as part of the celebrations for Chandler's Centenary in 1988.

He was quite prolific also doing the Jesse Stone mysteries, Sunny Randall mysteries and some westerns. I remember him telling us that he wrote five pages per day. His routine for getting the Spenser books out so often.

Still haven't watched it. I was kind of gutted to hear it's not quite true to Parker's concepts of the characters and more of a spoof.

He was quite prolific also doing the Jesse Stone mysteries, Sunny Randall mysteries and some westerns. I remember him telling us that he wrote five pages per day. His routine for getting the Spenser books out so often.

Still haven't watched it. I was kind of gutted to hear it's not quite true to Parker's concepts of the characters and more of a spoof.

That's dissapointing as the show was more serious from what I remember a spoof won't do the character any favours. Spenser if done correctly could be a possible Jack Reacher, Jason Bourne series of films?

I found Spenser A Savage Place on YouTube free to watch I will give it a go. I completely forgot Avery Brooks (Star Trek DS9's Captain Sisko) played Hawk.

Edited: I also found Spenser: The Judas Goat for free. I may have watched the movies though its almost 30 years ago if I have and 35 years since I watched the TV show.
    Dwayne wrote: »

There's a handful of these color noirs I have yet to see.
    Watching Double Indemnity I forgot how snappy the dialogue is, often copied rarely matched. I never found either of the lead characters sympathetic, excellent film nonetheless, a good exercise in futility.

Barbara Stanwick is ice, the ultimate Femme Fatale.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,625
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. I agree. Both Phyllis and Walter are “rotten to the core.” And come to think of it, I’m not exactly crazy about Lola either. 😊

One of the pleasures of film noir for me – and there are many – is that a strong streak of humor runs through most of the dialogue. And DOUBLE INDEMNITY is a prime example of this. Of course, having to negotiate with the Hayes Office, meant that humor and innuendo had to be used in many cases. Pick a IMDB quote at random:

Walter Neff: I get the general idea. She was a tramp from a long line of tramps. (When Barton Keyes explains to Walter why he never got married).

And I then there is this:

=))

As for Barbara Stanwick, in campaigning for the femme fatale lead in THE LAST SEDUCTION (1994), actress Linda Fiorentino reportedly said: “There are only two women who can play this role, me and Barbara Stanwick – and as she’s dead you’ll have to take me.”

BTW: I hope you weren’t counting (or taking a shot of liquor) every time Fred MacMurray said “B-A-B-Y.”
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. I agree. Both Phyllis and Walter are “rotten to the core.” And come to think of it, I’m not exactly crazy about Lola either. 😊

One of the pleasures of film noir for me – and there are many – is that a strong streak of humor runs through most of the dialogue. And DOUBLE INDEMNITY is a prime example of this. Of course, having to negotiate with the Hayes Office, meant that humor and innuendo had to be used in many cases. Pick a IMDB quote a random:

Walter Neff: I get the general idea. She was a tramp from a long line of tramps. (When Barton Keyes explains to Walter why he never got married).

And I then there is this:

=))

As for Barbara Stanwick, in campaigning for the femme fatale lead in THE LAST SEDUCTION (1994), actress Linda Fiorentino reportedly said: “There are only two women who can play this role, me and Barbara Stanwick – and as she’s dead you’ll have to take me.”

BTW: I hope you weren’t counting (or taking a shot of liquor) every time Fred MacMurray said “B-A-B-Y.”

I have literally just finished watching that scene Edward G. Robison is on fire.

lol Walter is cringeworthy at times though I guess that is the whole point, he is an arrogant fool for sure.

The moment when Lola tells Walter about her mothers death, Walters expression is priceless.

Keyes gives Columbo a run for his money at sleuthing ability.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,625
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, for an actor who always played “nice guy” roles in both TV and film (and apparently was that way off screen as well), in the three movie roles that I know Fred MacMurray best for (DOUBLE INDEMNITY, THE CAINE MUTINY (1954) and THE APARTMENT (1960)) he “played” creep very well!

While not noir, this is a master class by MacMurray and Jose Ferrer.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, for an actor who always played “nice guy” roles in both TV and film (and apparently was that way off screen as well), in the three movie roles that I know Fred MacMurray best for (DOUBLE INDEMNITY, THE CAINE MUTINY (1954) and THE APARTMENT (1960)) he “played” creep very well!

While not noir, this is a master class by MacMurray and Jose Ferrer.

Great scene.
    I have The Apartment on DVD though never seen The Caine Mutiny, Jose Ferrer looks young, I know him more for his later work.
    I don’t want to derail our Film Noir Thread, but as you go through these films – a set of films in which he is a major part of – you will come to be absolutely in awe of just how good Bogart was.

Dear lord he was good.
    ^:)^
    I don’t want to derail our Film Noir Thread, but as you go through these films – a set of films in which he is a major part of – you will come to be absolutely in awe of just how good Bogart was.

Dear lord he was good.
    ^:)^

I will have to give this a watch, it's difficult to fully assess with no context though appears to be a complex scene. Not sure if it's because I am watching on my phone though it appeared a subtle shadow emerged on Bogarts face which was effective.

---

I never knew Chandler had a on screen cameo in Double Indemnity, apparently his one and only film appearance.
    ---
    Praise does not get higher than this, Hitchcock's note to Billy Wilder...
    298906357.jpg
    Chandler and Director Billy Wilder did not part (let's say) as the best of friends. :))

Somewhere on the internet you can find the handwritten notes from the stars of the film to Cain - post-production. I'll try to link to them in the morning (NY time). BTW, the recently released Criterion Blu-Ray of DOUBLE INDEMNITY is excellent.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2022 Posts: 13,894
    An overview of films featuring Phillp Marlowe.

I have a vague memory of POODLE SPRINGS (1998) back in the day. I was especially curious about setting the character in the early 1960s and looking to settle down. As noted, I wasn't into noir at the time so I may or may not have watched it on HBO (IIRC).

That's a nice refresher of Marlowe on screen. I frequently forget that James Garner played Marlowe. And boy, do I dislike Gould as Marlowe. I don't know how close he is to the books, having never read them. But taking The Long Goodbye as it's own thing, Gould is is so miscast. He comes off to.... gormless.
    Chandler and Director Billy Wilder did not part (let's say) as the best of friends. :))

Somewhere on the internet you can find the handwritten notes from the stars of the film to Cain - post-production. I'll try to link to them in the morning (NY time). BTW, the recently released Criterion Blu-Ray of DOUBLE INDEMNITY is excellent.

I watched a review of the recently released 4K restoration of Double Indemnity last night, I currently only have the DVD though to fully appreciate the visual aspects of the film I need to upgrade which I will. I am hooked on the film again after decades, though I am viewing the film very differently with the passage of time.

I often leave films alone for long periods including Bond to an extent, so when I revisit them I may have forgotten aspects and have a fresh perspective.