The Film Noir Thread

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I've got Gene Tierney's autobiography, but it's still on the waiting-to-be-read pile. She went through some tough stuff.
    redherring wrote: »
    Please go watch Leave her to Heaven for those who haven't seen it yet. It's sad that Gene Tierney is remembered more for her beauty rather than her acting prowess but her performance in this movie, especially during the 'lake' scene, is just chilling.

That's one of my favorite Gene Tierney performances. Big Gene Tierney fan and I love this film easily as much as LAURA.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Welcome to the “Noir Thread” @Venutius. I’ll be very interested to read your thoughts of Gene Tierney’s autobiography. She certainly led a very interesting life! It’s long been taken as fact, that the rubella infection which caused her daughter, Daria, to be born mentally disabled, was the result of a chance encounter with a fan. Its’ also thought that this was the inspiration for the plot in one of Agatha Christie’s novels (and the movie, THE MIRROR CRACK’D in 1980).

The lake scene in LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN is also one of my top noir moments @redherring, and even before I ever watched the film, I always found myself smiling anytime I came across the Criterion DVD cover for that film in a store.

gene-tierney-2503-2.gif

And I also agree that her acting talents were underrated. Although I can’t find the link at the moment, I’m reminded of something that I once read about the actresses that starred in the films of classic noir. To paraphrase:

…they were vastly underappreciated at the time, but over time fandom (and film criticism) finally caught up with them and allowed us to give them their well-deserved due. Long after they heyday, they still had a certain sparkle in their eyes that spoke to their former screen presence. **

** IIRC, I’m paraphrasing Glenn Erickson, but again, I can’t find the link at the moment. If not, I'll be happy to take credit for it!
    :D
    Gene Tierney is amazing in LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN.

feat-gene-leave.jpeg

59-lh2h.jpg?w=1024

MV5BMDI0NjQ4MzMtNTJjYy00YmViLTliNTEtYjUwMWYyMGY1NjRhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Leave_Her_to_Heaven-881137399-large.jpg

edited August 2022 Posts: 2,617
    Also @redherring and @ToTheRight, don't forget the scene where she throws herself down the stairs....to self-abort. I imagine that was somewhat controversial at the time.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Also @redherring and @ToTheRight, don't forget the scene where she throws herself down the stairs....to self-abort. I imagine that was somewhat controversial at the time.

Very dark scene.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,263
    Liam Neeson as Philip Marlowe I am all for that...

Liam Neeson Is Playing Hollywood's Greatest Detective
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/liam-neeson-is-playing-hollywood-s-greatest-detective/ar-AA11flR5?cvid=6b10cc505e7245a2b26a3f940cb19b2e&ocid=winp2sv1plus

'...Starring alongside Liam Neeson, Diane Kruger, and Jessica Lange will be a loaded call sheet made up of Danny Huston, Alan Cumming, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Ian Hart, Colm Meaney, Daniela Melchior, and Francois Arnaud. William Monahan of The Departed fame is penning the script with Neil Jordan (The Crying Game) directing. Parallel Films' Alan Moloney is producing alongside H2L Media Group's Gary Levinsohn and Billy Hines, Nickel City Pictures' Mark Fasano, and Storyboard Media's Philip Kim and Patrick Hibler...'

Wow impressive team working on the film.
    Thanks for the heads up @Fire_and_Ice_Returns on the new Philip Marlowe movie.

Are you (or @ToTheRight) aware of the new neo-noir OUT OF THE BLUE (w/Diane Kruger, Ray Nicholson)?

After spending time in prison following an assault charge, Connor Bates now works in a library and spends his free time running, swimming, and trying to piece his world back together. When he meets Marilyn Chambers, the wife of a wealthy businessman, they collide into an intense physical and emotional relationship that quickly escalates into idle talk about her husband’s murder.
    It seems like a film in the vein of BODY HEAT (or even a classic noir), but the reviews thus far have been fair at best. Still Diane Kruger. :x
    In other news, this CD came in the mail last week.
    Maltese Falcons, Third Men And Touches Of Evil - The Sound Of Film Noir 1941-1958
    71jwc0h7ORL._SL1200_.jpg
    810vGTBoynS._SL1500_.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Are you (or @ToTheRight) aware of the new neo-noir OUT OF THE BLUE (w/Diane Kruger, Ray Nicholson)?

After spending time in prison following an assault charge, Connor Bates now works in a library and spends his free time running, swimming, and trying to piece his world back together. When he meets Marilyn Chambers, the wife of a wealthy businessman, they collide into an intense physical and emotional relationship that quickly escalates into idle talk about her husband’s murder.
    It seems like a film in the vein of BODY HEAT (or even a classic noir), but the reviews thus far have been fair at best. Still Diane Kruger. :x

Marilyn Chambers, huh.

edited August 2022 Posts: 2,617
    I will admit to laughing at that @RichardTheBruce. I wonder if "Ivory Soap" plays a role somewhere in the film!!! =))

PS. Only people 55+ of age may "get" that joke.
    [Marilyn Chambers, huh.
    Beat me to it! :))
    OUT OF THE BLUE looks interesting. May have to check that out.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Thanks for the heads up @Fire_and_Ice_Returns on the new Philip Marlowe movie.

I have not seen the film though will look out for it, I am a fan of films in that genre Basic Instinct and Shattered to name a few they fall into Neo Noir category for me.

Shattered

I recently upgraded this film to HD, its not perfect though there is a lot to like in this film.
    Vaguely remember going to see 'Shattered' in the cinema! Directed by the late Wolfgang Peterson if I recall,?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Vaguely remember going to see 'Shattered' in the cinema! Directed by the late Wolfgang Peterson if I recall,?

That's right I believe he has only just recently passed away.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

That's right I believe he has only just recently passed away.

Yeah, check the rest-in-peace thread (https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/3862/rest-in-peace-show-your-respects-to-those-who-have-passed-away#latest). Though it's Wolfgang Petersen (last vowl: e).
    More on the passing of actress Marsha Hunt.
    An appreciation by film historian Alan K. Rode (per Variety.com) and a “TCM Remembers” clip.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/marsha-hunt-appreciation-hollywood-heroine-noir-actress-1235368225/

More on the passing of actress Marsha Hunt.
    An appreciation by film historian Alan K. Rode (per Variety.com) and a “TCM Remembers” clip.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/marsha-hunt-appreciation-hollywood-heroine-noir-actress-1235368225/

I am not that familiar with Marsha Hunt though I do remember her in Star Trek: TNG episode Too short a Season, I read Marsha was the oldest living actor who appeared in Star Trek prior to her death at an incredible 104 years old

I see Marsha appeared in Alfred Hitchcock Presents which I have recently got the majority of the episodes from that show, I will be interested to see her episode.
    104 is a great long life. RAW DEAL is my favorite Marsha Hunt film.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 8,672
    As an aside, for a long time I only connected the name Marsha Hunt to the eponymous singer (*1946), who had relationships, among others, with Marc Bolan and Mick Jagger, the latter of whom she had a daughter with. She is also said to have been the inspiration for the Rolling Stones' song "Brown Sugar". Of her own recordings, I only remember her version of Paul Simon's "Keep the Customer Satisfied", which received quite a lot of airplay in 1971 over here.

I only discovered the now-deceased actress later on.
    Tonight, I chose neo-noir again: The Coen Brothers' The Man Who Wasn't There. It's really as noir as a movie from 2001 can get. Apart from the twists and turns that Chandler couldn't have written any better, is has this magnificent expressionist lighting (like The Third Man) and Roger Deakins' sublime black-and-white cinematography...well, actually it was filmed in colour and then only printed in black and white. Not to mention a brilliant cast for all major roles.
    This is for @ToTheRight !!!!
    4440451d31554417c0297480f6f7702b.jpg

And this is from a 1950's TV program called THE THIRD MAN. This particular episode stars our own Sir. Roger Moore.

• edited September 2022 Posts: 15,800
    YES! @Dwayne!
    Great find!! That makes my day. :D

Interestingly Roger Moore and Hazel Court appeared together in an ALFRED HITCHCOCK episode, too.
    Given that you are a major Marilyn Monroe fan @ToTheRight:
    yellow-submarine-movie-screencaps.com-1782.jpg
    In all of these decades of watching YELLOW SUBMARINE (1968) I’ve never noticed the image of Monroe in this segment of the film before. I normally too busy noting the image of “John Steed and Tara King” of the far right. :)
    That's great. @Dwayne !
    Been at least 20 years since I've seen YELLOW SUBMARINE. Great movie.
    Love seeing Marilyn there. Not sure if the evening clad, cloaked gent in the back is intended to be Vincent Price or perhaps John Carradine?
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,918
    Yeah, I'd think Carradine, given the top hat.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That is Mandrake.
    That is Mandrake.

Of course! Mandrake the Magician.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    That is Mandrake.

I thought perhaps it was an early sighting of the Dragonpol.