What song could be a great Bond Theme?

Comments

• KaelbKaelb Adelaide, South Australia
    renno61 wrote: »

The Weeknd

Not bad at all. I could see this working very well.
  • KaelbKaelb Adelaide, South Australia
    TripAces wrote: »

A Foo Fighters Bond theme song would have been great!

I couldn't agree more.
  • Prince- Old Friends 4 Sale

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nNVs9OgVw7M

oh, Capablanca…
    Sade would have been just perfect for Bond...good call
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Kaelb wrote: »
    renno61 wrote: »

The Weeknd

Not bad at all. I could see this working very well.

I would not rule out this possibility at all. The Weeknd has the vocals and the edginess to do Bond 25. I'd say he is in the running , for sure.

Back when TLD was released, this would have been a much better theme than what aHa produced. The lean-in and hook for this song is perfectly suited for Bond. heck, even this music video has some Bondian TS elements. Enjoy...

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,411
    James Arthur - Rewrite the stars

Link: Adele Skyfall.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    With a bit of tweaking this one from Duran Duran would have been awesome; even some of the lyrics fit a post vesper Bond.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Heard this group and thought I could imagine them working out well for a Bond theme.

https://binged.it/2FX5J6y
    Oh, yes indeed Bittersweet; I'm a big fan. Several people have suggested them.
    Always wanted to see Simple Minds do a Bond song in the 80s...

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondsum wrote: »

Great band. I have Street Fighting Years playing in my car at present.
    Love Song made me a huge SM fan in 81.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 3,333
    Same here, @Thunderfinger. I used to play that track tirelessly. If I could reset the early 80's Bond songs, I'd have Duran Duran do Octopussy; Simple Minds do AVTAK, I'm ok with A-Ha still doing TLD and have Tears For Fears or George Michael for LTK.
    bondsum wrote: »

Very catchy. And they seemed well-suited for Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    With a bit of tweaking this one from Duran Duran would have been awesome; even some of the lyrics fit a post vesper Bond.

@talos7 ... I've said this before and I'll say it again: these guys can still hit a Bond theme out of the park. Just watch them at Coachella sing AVTAK. They get Bond.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 7,802
    @peter Out of My Mind , which was used in The Saint , is another that would have been a fantastic Bond title song.

And recently this one from Simon has the feel of Bond and shows that Simon’s voice has matured nicely.
    It’s highly unlikely, but I would love to see them given opportunity at a title track.

Simon Le Bon's voice is still a 10/10!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @peter Out of My Mind , which was used in The Saint , is another that would have been a fantastic Bond title song.

And recently this one from Simon has the feel of Bond and shows that Simon’s voice has matured nicely.
    It’s highly unlikely, but I would love to see them given opportunity at a title track.

Love it @talos7 ... He (Le Bon), and they (the band), have always had a very cool and edgy sound. They have all the elements for a great Bond theme song again...

Unfortunately, i just don't think they're even on the radar over at EoN... could be wrong, of course, but I think they're chasing after the latest talent.

But these old boys still have the goods (that can, and does, better the "new kids on the block" of today's music industry).
    That's a great vocal display from Simon Le Bon on his cover version of "In a Broken Dream".The song was originally a single by Australian rock band Python Lee Jackson featuring vocals from Rod Stewart. You can check it out below...

I agree that there's something very Bond affiliated with pretty much all the songs that he sings. He just displays that urban cool that suggests Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He just displays that urban cool that suggests Bond.

Yes... 100%... Up until YKMN, AVTAK was my favourite from the "modern" era. I think it's obvious they could make another timeless classic.
    Two great takes on the same song.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 7,802
    Simon's got a swagger that suits Bond. I would love to hear what he could do with Writings on the Wall, although lyrically, I think the song is written from the wrong POV and more suited for a female vocal.
    If you listen to Out of My Mind, it has the same DNA as WotW but is performed in a way that is passionate but not pleading.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Simon's got a swagger that suits Bond. I would love to hear what he could do with Writings on the Wall, although lyrically, I think the song is written from the wrong POV and more suited for a female vocal.

We're about to break into full bromance here @talos7 -- yes Le Bon has swagger/charisma to spare.

And I agree with WOTW-- wrong POV, and should be from the female perspective. I heard a female artist on You Tube sing it a while back, and it was pleasant and felt "right".

When I hear Sam Smith's version, I'm embarrassed. However, and funnily enough, both my daughters love the guy (my son, not so much), and when they play his other songs, I quite like he and his output.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    In terms of bands or artists who've not performed a Bond song previously, I agree on Tears for Fears and George Michael as missed opportunities in the 80s. I think there were some wonderful bands, including New Order and several others from that New Wave era who could have nailed it.

I've always thought that Depeche Mode (circa Violator), Nine Inch Nails (circa Pretty Hate Machine) and Sade (circa Stronger than Pride) could have done a great job as well. Trent could still do it.

bondjames wrote: »
    In terms of bands or artists who've not performed a Bond song previously, I agree on Tears for Fears and George Michael as missed opportunities in the 80s. I think there were some wonderful bands, including New Order and several others from that New Wave era who could have nailed it.

I've always thought that Depeche Mode (circa Violator), Nine Inch Nails (circa Pretty Hate Machine) and Sade (circa Stronger than Pride) could have done a great job as well. Trent could still do it.

All great choices.