What song could be a great Bond Theme?

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    A friend just sent me this. Man is it good!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Listening to the album and it's follow up as whole there is more of an argument for this side project of Mr Gahan's than his day job producing a one moody and memorable Bond theme.

Those Soulsavers albums with Dave Gahan are really great, @Shardlake! I also quite enjoyed Broken, which features songs with Mark Lanegan.
    Those Soulsavers albums with Dave Gahan are really great, @Shardlake! I also quite enjoyed Broken, which features songs with Mark Lanegan.

Massive Lanegan fan, the new album with Duke Garwood is great, my Wife and I have tickets to see them in October.

Both Gahan and Lanegan have great voices and would lend themselves brilliantly to Bond.

Although I'm of the opinion it will be flavour of the month or biggest artist at the present moment and seeing how the press were insisting on Smith and they went down that route, the likelihood it's going to Ed Sheeran, perish the thought but I'm prepared.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Massive Lanegan fan, the new album with Duke Garwood is great, my Wife and I have tickets to see them in October.
    I'm jealous! Haven't heard the new album yet, but really much enjoyed their previous collaboration, Black Pudding. Sure you'll both have a very good time at the concert in October!
    Both Gahan and Lanegan have great voices and would lend themselves brilliantly to Bond.

Although I'm of the opinion it will be flavour of the month or biggest artist at the present moment and seeing how the press were insisting on Smith and they went down that route, the likelihood it's going to Ed Sheeran, perish the thought but I'm prepared.

Gahan and Lanegan would be brilliant choices for a Bond song, but as you write, the likelihood it's going to be Ed Sheeran or someone like that. At least there's the YOLT cover by Lanegan:

I'm jealous! Haven't heard the new album yet, but really much enjoyed their previous collaboration, Black Pudding. Sure you'll both have a very good time at the concert in October!

Gahan and Lanegan would be brilliant choices for a Bond song, but as you write, the likelihood it's going to be Ed Sheeran or someone like that. At least there's the YOLT cover by Lanegan:

I have to admit that album never struck me as his best work, I do have it in my collection and should give it anothe spin but the covers didn't quite click.

It's his 2nd covers album, I do think this one was more successful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ill-Take-Care-Mark-Lanegan/dp/B003WAMSZK/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1535408112&sr=8-19&keywords=mark+lanegan

I've seen him on his own a few times before and we caught him with the Soulsavers supporting Depech Mode on the Songs of The Universe tour. He's always a mesmerising presence.

My dream would be a double header with Mark and Dave touring with Soulsavers and possibly an album with both although I'd settle for another with Dave G or Mark on their own.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,235
    @Shardlake Have to agree that that album isn't his best. Just find it interesting that he did a cover of YOLT. It's a great song, so why shouldn't he!

Never heard that album you linked to; I should probably try and find it (need to expand my Lanegan collection). Thanks for the tip! A Soulsavers tour with both Mark and Dave would be incredible. Both have a fantastic presence, and it would be quite the thing to see them on stage together. I can't remember, but have they played on a song together before?
    @Shardlake Have to agree that that album isn't his best. Just find it interesting that he did a cover of YOLT. It's a great song, so why shouldn't he!

Never heard that album you linked to; I should probably try and find it (need to expand my Lanegan collection). Thanks for the tip! A Soulsavers tour with both Mark and Dave would be incredible. Both have a fantastic presence, and it would be quite the thing to see them on stage together. I can't remember, but have they played on a song together before?

I don't think so but there paths have obviously crossed with SS & ML supporting DM. I think this is where they go the idea to bring on DG instead of ML for their next 2 albums.

I will give that album another listen, especially his YOLT cover.
  • London Grammar's Non Believer would've made a great Bond theme. So much so that I find it actually works better over Spectre's opening titles than Writing's on the Wall.

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=G9LxUQL_Ucg&video_start=0&audio=dYuj7rjBLac&audio_start=19
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,411

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    This is just so smooth
    I used to think this Gary Newman song would’ve made a great Bond song back in 84.

• Very interesting topic. I've heard some interesting suggestions over the years like 'Sour Times' by Portishead or 'Supremacy' by Muse. Personally I'd go with 'Beggin' for Thread' by BANKS or 'Realiti' by Grimes.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,597
    Good call re Gary Numan. There seemed to be much more choice and diversity back in the 80s with more creativity. But, as a child of the 80's, I'm biased :-)

I also think Heaven 17 had a certain swager and power that would have been a good fit with Bond, still going strong in 2010.

• jokilovato20jokilovato20 France
    10. " A View to a Kill" ...
    "Nobody Does It Better" "The Spy Who Loved Me" Opening Credit Sequence. ...
    "Thunderball" ...
    "Diamonds Are Forever" ...
    "The World is Not Enough" ...
    "For Your Eyes Only" ...
    "You Only Live Twice" ...
    "Skyfall"
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • lol this kind of makes me wonder, what kind of music do you think James Bond listens to when no one is looking?
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,235
    lol this kind of makes me wonder, what kind of music do you think James Bond listens to when no one is looking?

Definitely ABBA – just like Johnny English :-D

• lol this kind of makes me wonder, what kind of music do you think James Bond listens to when no one is looking?

Definitely ABBA – just like Johnny English :-D

I feel like Daniel Craig's Bond is secretly a hardcore punk fan but likes to treat himself to a nice Adele or Lady Gaga when M isn't watching
    There is a thread dedicated to the subject.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,235
    There is a thread dedicated to the subject.

That's true - forgot to mention that. Here it is, @JakeDisselt:
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/1078/what-types-of-music-songs-artists-would-bond-listen-to#latest
  • There is a thread dedicated to the subject.

Sorry tried searching before posting and I didn't see it.

The Church
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The Church would have been awesome!