Have you noticed any bloopers in NTTD?

Comments

• edited November 2021 Posts: 12,837
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Craig trying to be the definitive Bond instead of his own man.

I think it’s less him trying to be the definitive Bond, and more Bond aging and growing more mature with experience. Someone on here posted a great quote from Craig about Bond in CR, where he says that he doesn’t think he actually knows very much about life. And I reckon that’s true. He probably went straight from school into the military and then into MI6. Vesper seems like one of the first women he’s had genuine feelings for, and he falls for her ridiculously quickly. He‘s got a real chip on his shoulder, and he seems kind of immature in a “look at me, I’m so badass” way in some scenes like breaking into M’s flat. I think his early performances could easily be taken as Bond being kind of emotionally stunted. And it makes sense to me that he’d get more humourous and playful as he matures a bit. I think we all learn to not take ourselves so seriously as we get older, and he’d get more and more used to the darker side of his job as he went on more missions.

I do get where you’re coming from on him not being his own man, because that makes it difficult to sum up his Bond in the same way you can the others (Roger was the comedy one, Tim the darker one, Pierce the Britpop action hero, etc). But I think how his Bond has evolved and changed with his films is what’s made him his own man for me. I like that we’ve seen him age and that Craig has altered his performance accordingly. It didn’t always work (I agree on the Blofeld scene, and some quips in the last few films didn’t land for me), but I think having a Bond who actually changes and grows as a person has been very fresh. I think I’m in the opposite camp to most on here when it comes to Craig. I actually struggled to take to him at first. He was great, but I didn’t get why he was getting so much praise when Dalton (my favourite, so I was a bit bitter) got there first in some ways. But then we got onto the Mendes movies, and his Bond kind of clicked for me. He’s the Bond with an actual character arc, the one who grows and changes as we go on.

I understand why that might not work for people who loved him from day one, but if nothing else, I think it shows the passion he has for the role. He could’ve easily just turned up and done what he had done in CR for the next few films. But instead he took a risk and tried to keep finding new sides of him. I think he’s got to deserve some credit for that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I didn't think he was acting out of character, the character has just expanded.

But if you do think he was acting out of character then that's the director's fault.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 526
    Stamper wrote: »
    I have read he is actually mouthing words to Mathilde. Isn't it?

The only weird delivery I think is when Bond asks who has access at Belmarch.

Craig plays it like he is pissed, knowing what the answer will be, when he couldn't be?

But why would he mouth the words to Mathilde? That doesn’t make sense to me. I also find it hard to believe that they missed this. But, stranger things have happened. I never the saw the words be strong. I’ll check it out on the next viewing. In any case, it seems really out of place. And what’s the odds that a 5 yo can read lips?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @sworddevil1 It shows he cares, if nothing else.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @thelivingroyale good points mate. It just felt a bit odd to me, I don't know what it was exactly but on first viewing it stood out to me. I just wish Daniel had been more stoic and natural like he was when he met Silva in Skyfall.
    In certain moments I wish the writers weren't forcing Craig to be funny as Bond, especially in more serious moments in NTTD

But listen its all subjective, I'm glad the film has given loads of talking points if nothing else after this massive wait 😅
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home

Craig plays it like he is pissed, knowing what the answer will be, when he couldn't be?

But why would he mouth the words to Mathilde? That doesn’t make sense to me. I also find it hard to believe that they missed this. But, stranger things have happened. I never the saw the words be strong. I’ll check it out on the next viewing. In any case, it seems really out of place. And what’s the odds that a 5 yo can read lips?

Because she's a child in a very stressful situation.... It doesn't matter if she can read his lips or not..... There's a basic familiarity in him and he hasn't put her in a situation that's deprived her directly of her mother like Safin has... It's meant to comfort a child who is terrified.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I think we may be talking about two different instances.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think we may be talking about two different instances.

I hope so.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Has anyone who thinks Craig is mouthing Malik's lines said that they also spotted Bond mouthing to Mathilde though?
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Next time I see it (my second rental has expired) I will focus on the exact quote and time stamp so we can at least be sure we are all talking about the same thing.

There is a part (maybe only a line from Bond) that seems to coincide with exactly what Safin is saying, then things become a bit less clear.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The things that bring people together...
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,730
    mtm wrote: »
    Has anyone who thinks Craig is mouthing Malik's lines said that they also spotted Bond mouthing to Mathilde though?

Rami is staring at his own reflection
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 526
    Next time I see it (my second rental has expired) I will focus on the exact quote and time stamp so we can at least be sure we are all talking about the same thing.

There is a part (maybe only a line from Bond) that seems to coincide with exactly what Safin is saying, then things become a bit less clear.

Sounds good. It’s an odd scene to say the least. I’d like some clarity on it. And I’m not trying to say it makes or breaks the film, but it is quite puzzling. And it’s not 2 or 3 seconds, it’s long enough to intuit.
  • Mallory wrote: »

I swear he mouths the words “be strong” to Mathilde during that chat.

Not sure what exactly he says but even from my first (of about 9) viewings so far, I've always seen it as him mouthing to Mathilde, trying to re-assure her, a bit like he does when he first enters and tells her it's going to be alright etc., but this time muted as Safin is droning on. Not saying however it's NOT a blooper, maybe he was mouthing lines to Safin...but at the same time, even if it looks like he mouths the exact things Safin is saying, I would be not just surprised but genuinely shocked if it is actually a blooper. The attention to detail that has gone into this film just makes me think that there is no way on earth this would (if it's a blooper) have been missed by EVERYONE during all the editing/final cut processes etc. Just no way!

As I say though, to me it's always looked like he's just trying to calm the child, it even looks like he's looking more at her than Safin in my opinion.

LOL. I was joking. That would be absolutely hilarious though if while sitting through the first screening CJF notices Craig mouthing Malek’s lines in the finished cut for the first time and goes, “Oh, for ___’s sake, did nobody…?”
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Wear a three-grand suit with nonchalance, drink 500-quid wine like it's plonk. It's in the same lineage as Connery taking off the Turnbull & Asser shirt and just chucking it on the floor.

Good point. I'll retract my statement.

The imdb page has a couple of bloopers/gaffes that mostly rely on things not lining up with the timeframe (apparently, Safin's gun from the PTS was only released in 2007) or some minor background things (a container ship in the Cuban harbour has French signage, which shouldn't be possible under the sanctions on Cuba). The only one I would like to nominate for someone to check out in a rewatch is that supposedly Madeleine switches shoes while in Safin's layer? From stilettos to shoes with a wider heel? I would consider that an actual production error, albeit an inconsequential one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Wear a three-grand suit with nonchalance, drink 500-quid wine like it's plonk. It's in the same lineage as Connery taking off the Turnbull & Asser shirt and just chucking it on the floor.

The imdb page has a couple of bloopers/gaffes that mostly rely on things not lining up with the timeframe (apparently, Safin's gun from the PTS was only released in 2007) or some minor background things (a container ship in the Cuban harbour has French signage, which shouldn't be possible under the sanctions on Cuba). The only one I would like to nominate for someone to check out in a rewatch is that supposedly Madeleine switches shoes while in Safin's layer? From stilettos to shoes with a wider heel? I would consider that an actual production error, albeit an inconsequential one.

Sounds like a reasonable one if true to me; although why she'd have been wearing stilettos in her country house while having breakfast I'm not sure! :D
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The only blooper that really stands out for me is Safin's age. In the first scene of the film, and then when he reintroduces himself to Madeleine, he hasn't aged at all.
    Of course we don't see his face in the first part of the movie with the mask. But when we do see him with Madeleine later in the film. It's hard to see the two of them, with Safin being considerably older.
    This is my only gripe with the film, for the rest of the movie, I enjoy it a lot.
    mtm wrote: »

Sounds like a reasonable one if true to me; although why she'd have been wearing stilettos in her country house while having breakfast I'm not sure! :D

No, you see she was probably wearing house slippers during breakfast and then changed into stiletto heels when they had to go on the run from a bunch of hired guns. She is French after all.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 6,844
    Benny wrote: »
    The only blooper that really stands out for me is Safin's age. In the first scene of the film, and then when he reintroduces himself to Madeleine, he hasn't aged at all.
    Of course we don't see his face in the first part of the movie with the mask. But when we do see him with Madeleine later in the film. It's hard to see the two of them, with Safin being considerably older.
    This is my only gripe with the film, for the rest of the movie, I enjoy it a lot.

This has been a distraction since my first viewing. Initially, between Safin's facial deformity and the bioengineering plot, I thought there was going to be some kind of de-aging or perpetual youth thing going on with him. In hindsight, I'm disappointed there wasn't because as it is Safin looks right about the same age as Madeleine when you'd think he should be a good 15 or so years older than her. Then again, through rewrites and recastings, Trevelyan's age makes no sense either.
    I thought the same. It was him saying "my skills will go on" or something, in the trailer. I expected some anti-aging thing that affected his appearance.
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    I think he’s just a teenager in the PTS, so really only about 10-11 years older than Madeleine. I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch
  • I think he’s just a teenager in the PTS, so really only about 10-11 years older than Madeleine. I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch

That might be the script's intention, but between his jawline and his build he looks like a grown adult in the PTS. But I concede this might be where the movie just wants us to use our imagination.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,928
    Safin's got some grey in his hair in some of the publicity photos, but it's not noticeable in the actual film. I agree with Drax, above - maybe a 12-year age difference at most.
    Did we mention the problem with Safin taking one of Madeleine’s hairs yet?

The way I understand it, Safin takes a hair he just finds lying around in her office and that is what he has his scientists use to create the virus targeted at her and finally uses on Bond to break his spirit.
    The problem with that is that apparently hair only carries DNA in the root and most hair that just falls out doesn’t have the root attached. So it is very, very unlikely that Safin actually had a functioning DNA sample of Madeleine’s to actually have a virus built out of.
  • It's movie hair. Movie hair is actually quite rich with DNA. Crawling with it actually.
  • KOPKOP

2:10:37-2:10:40

I'm not a native English speaker nor a lip reader but the way I see it Bond is not mouthing anything, his lips are twitching because of the tension of the moment in which his daughter is threatened.
  • If he is mouthing the words is something actors do when waiting to say thier own lines. They know both their own lines and the other actors. Sometimes it gets caught in camera.

Whether it’s a good quality as an actor remains to be seen.

Will Smith famously did it when he was wet behind the ears as an actor on Fresh Prince of Bell Air.

He got a lot of grief for it from the other cast.

Watch early episodes and you can see him mouth their lines before his. Perhaps Craig’s age has impacted his skills?
  • KOPKOP
    Perhaps Craig’s age has impacted his skills?

Yes, 52 is ancient.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,526
    Daniel Craig was plenty skilled in NTTD.

I just watched the timestamps in question a few times and Craig is definitely *not* mouthing any of Safin's lines; he's not articulating any words at all. He's reacting to Safin putting his fingers through Mathilde's hair. Your mind is playing tricks on you, "seeing faces in the clouds", etc.

"I want the world to evolve, yet you want it to stay the same", I believe is the line in question? Bond's mouth is twitching, and maybe makes an "M' when Safin says "same", but that's really it.

It'll inevitably be another "white dress black dress" or "death of you, death of him" argument where everyone just believes what they believe and it doesn't matter.

And, in fairness, I was in the "Death of him" camp until I did a total 180 on the matter. ;)
  • KOP wrote: »
    Perhaps Craig’s age has impacted his skills?

Yes, 52 is ancient.

You don’t have to be ancient for age to affect you. And I said perhaps.