Have you noticed any bloopers in NTTD?

Comments

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,165
    Bond mouthing what Safin says. If you read his lips, he says word for word what Safin is saying. I still can’t believe they didn’t catch that. I noticed the first and the second time. There’s no mistake about it. It’s a terrible error.

The fact you think he's mouthing what Safin is saying is the real error here, @sworddevil1 =)) If you're going to critique NTTD, pick something that actually happens in the movie. \:D/
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    It'll inevitably be another "white dress black dress" or "death of you, death of him" argument where everyone just believes what they believe and it doesn't matter.

The difference is that the White dress/Black dress, as in Yanni/Laurel, really is something that we are perceiving differently, there is no misunderstanding. With the You/Him, some group was just hearing it incorrectly (and I was always in the "You" camp).

In my memory, Bond has been (vaguely and/or partially) mouthing the line, as it jarred me every single time. I'll focus intently next time, but ultimately no-one can convince me but me, not sarcasm or any credentials anyone may tout, so, I agree, arguing either way would be silly.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    KOP wrote: »
    Perhaps Craig’s age has impacted his skills?

Yes, 52 is ancient.

You don’t have to be ancient for age to affect you. And I said perhaps.

It all goes downhill after 40.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It'll inevitably be another "white dress black dress" or "death of you, death of him" argument where everyone just believes what they believe and it doesn't matter.

The difference is that the White dress/Black dress, as in Yanni/Laurel, really is something that we are perceiving differently, there is no misunderstanding. With the You/Him, some group was just hearing it incorrectly (and I was always in the "You" camp).

In my memory, Bond has been (vaguely and/or partially) mouthing the line, as it jarred me every single time. I'll focus intently next time, but ultimately no-one can convince me but me, not sarcasm or any credentials anyone may tout, so, I agree, arguing either way would be silly.

Couldn’t you say the same about white dress black dress? Like the him/you, there is a correct answer and the wrong side of the argument was misunderstanding?
    Genuine question out of curiosity.

EDIT: And, if it’s something that you find jarring and it takes you out of the film, regardless of what’s right or wrong, that sucks and is disappointing that there’s something in the film that has that effect.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I keep asking myself this. During all their scenes together, Madeleine talks to Mathilde in french, but when there's only the two of them in the car, in the end, she speaks in English with the child. To me, it doesn't make any sense.
    Couldn’t you say the same about white dress black dress? Like the him/you, there is a correct answer and the wrong side of the argument was misunderstanding?
    Genuine question out of curiosity.

I actually considered that before I included it in the post. But there is a difference, the perception of the dress, from my understanding, is based on the physical make up of the observer. Whether physically accurate or not, their perception is real. I’m not sure that’s the case with this piece of dialogue. I think it could have something to do with our eyesight, or hearing, sure, but more like on a degenerative or a weak versus strong basis. It could be based on what we want to hear. It could be the physical situation and noises or lack of around us when we saw the film. Probably all that and a lot more all mixed together. So that was my thinking in including that in the argument.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    That is interesting. My thoughts are based on my impressions and assumptions, but I think Madeleine is probably raising Mathilde to be bilingual, and French as her first language but also as their own "secret" language. When she wants to really have Mathilde hear her urgently, or as she is used to in a private conversation, she speaks in French. For 5 years it was just the two of them, and she was conscious at all times of protecting Mathilde.

At the end of the film, we just have assume Mathilde understands her English well and why Madeleine chose English ... perhaps as a subconscious nod to her great love, James. Mathilde responds right away like she understands. (Or maybe she said it first in French, but we don't hear that bit ...) ;) I like Madeleine and Mathilde's relationship very much. I think it was portrayed realistically by both.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I keep asking myself this. During all their scenes together, Madeleine talks to Mathilde in french, but when there's only the two of them in the car, in the end, she speaks in English with the child. To me, it doesn't make any sense.

Ha, didn't think about this. Good point. Maybe it is their english day of the week?
    However, if I would have been the director, I had done the same thing. The message is stronger (imo), when the film ends in the language everyone understands. It's like the moment where Safin shows up in the forest: It looks better, more dramatic this way, but it is a very risky thing to do. The main villain would have been killed very early, if there would have been a bullet left.
    As far as jarring, Craig does it to me a number of times in NTTD, which is really sad because otherwise I think this is by far his best performance in nine years. He seems out of character. A sampling:

“”That’s not goooood.”
    “You’re gonna smoke it.”
    “…from Bel…Marsh”
    Way too much with Blofeld and Safin to list.

On the other hand, I think he handled the humor very well in this one, far far better than he did in SP.
    Re the language subject, I've read somewhere (can exactly remember) that the little actress who plays the role of Mathilde in real life is English native but bilingual in French
    So think for her there's no problem. Then I second the hypothesis of being raised by Madeleine as bilingual
    As far as jarring, Craig does it to me a number of times in NTTD, which is really sad because otherwise I think this is by far his best performance in nine years. He seems out of character. A sampling:

“”That’s not goooood.”
    “You’re gonna smoke it.”
    “…from Bel…Marsh”
    Way too much with Blofeld and Safin to list.

On the other hand, I think he handled the humor very well in this one, far far better than he did in SP.

I agree about the "That's not good" line, but I loved his delivery of the other two. Personal preference, I suppose.

I loved the delivery of all the lines where Bond was talking *about* Blofeld and Spectre (the Cuba party, M's office), but I agree that the actual conversation between Bond and Blofeld felt a little weird. Still liked it though.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 721
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Perhaps Craig’s age has impacted his skills?

Yes, 52 is ancient.

You don’t have to be ancient for age to affect you. And I said perhaps.

It all goes downhill after 40.

20, to be fair ...
  • fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL

My guess is that since she’s telling her a story about her father who was English, that it’s more appropriate to tell it in his native language, out of respect.
  • My guess is its a FILM and an English one at that. So at the end of this FILM they have the conversation in English so it will
    Hold more weight with the audience.

If anyone doesn’t understand this as a contrivance of it being a movie and not a “blooper” (FYI bloopers are bits where the cast flub thier lines and laugh etc this thread should be called plot holes) watch Kill Bill vol 1. When Lucy Lu starts speaking in English after beheading a man. Tarantino literally spells it out with his dialog - something to the effect of “and now I’m
    Going to start talking in English so you really understand the point I’m making.”
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,897
    the way I see it Bond is not mouthing anything, his lips are twitching because of the tension of the moment in which his daughter is threatened.
    Exactly what I thought on further viewings - it's just his mouth twitching slightly and wordlessly due to the tension.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    My guess is its a FILM and an English one at that. So at the end of this FILM they have the conversation in English so it will
    Hold more weight with the audience.

If anyone doesn’t understand this as a contrivance of it being a movie and not a “blooper” (FYI bloopers are bits where the cast flub thier lines and laugh etc this thread should be called plot holes) watch Kill Bill vol 1. When Lucy Lu starts speaking in English after beheading a man. Tarantino literally spells it out with his dialog - something to the effect of “and now I’m
    Going to start talking in English so you really understand the point I’m making.”

My guess is that since she’s telling her a story about her father who was English, that it’s more appropriate to tell it in his native language, out of respect.

Mathilde understands rudimentary English. Bond also speaks to her in English, "How is it?" he asks in the breakfast scene. "Pas mal [not bad]," she responds.

I live in a functionally bilingual city where children are raised in both French & English, so it seems true to me ....
  • I interpreted Bond's mouthing during Safin's speech to be a subconscious muttering displaying his disgust with Safin, nothing more. But it makes total sense that he's trying to console Mathilde - didn't think of that.

And Madeleine's choice of English also makes perfect sense to me, whether as a sign of respect to Bond or practicing English with her daughter.
    It's funny, this mouth-moving by Craig in the scene with Safin is something I never registered at all while watching the film any of the four times. Only after reading about it here.
    It's funny, this mouth-moving by Craig in the scene with Safin is something I never registered at all while watching the film any of the four times. Only after reading about it here.

Same.
    Minion wrote: »
    Bond mouthing what Safin says. If you read his lips, he says word for word what Safin is saying. I still can’t believe they didn’t catch that. I noticed the first and the second time. There’s no mistake about it. It’s a terrible error.

The fact you think he's mouthing what Safin is saying is the real error here, @sworddevil1 =)) If you're going to critique NTTD, pick something that actually happens in the movie. \:D/

I’ve critiqued plenty about NTTD. When we get a freeze frame, you’ll see that he is saying what Safin said. I can’t wait to see your reply when it happens. Do you prefer salt or pepper with your crow?
    Minion wrote: »

I’ve critiqued plenty about NTTD. When we get a freeze frame, you’ll see that he is saying what Safin said. I can’t wait to see your reply when it happens. Do you prefer salt or pepper with your crow?

I can easily get a freeze frame. I don’t know how a single frame would be able to prove what you’re claiming. But let me know which frame you want and I’ll get it for you.

Sorry for the spoiler, but Minion is correct, not you.

Anyways, again, tell me which second you want and I’ll get it for you.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm heading out to see the film in a few hours, so I'll look out for this so-called line mouthing moment.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I'm heading out to see the film in a few hours, so I'll look out for this so-called line mouthing moment.

When he says “I want the world to evolve, you want it to stay the same”, allegedly.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Thanks, I'll check it out. It can only be his reassuring the girl or a quivering lip.
    How does a difference of perception turn into another reason for some of you people to get nasty with each other? How could you be so goddamn invested in being right about a trivial aspect movie?
    What else is there to talk about?

I guess this influx of new members who seemingly are only here to shit on everything has finally gotten to me.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,165
    I can empathize with that. It’s becoming increasingly difficult to keep one’s cool around dumb. Literally, @sworddevil1 just suggested providing a freeze frame as proof of something you’d only be able to see in motion (something which doesn’t actually happen, mind you). It beggars belief that he can’t even stick to legitimate critiques of NTTD but has to resort to making stuff up. For his sake I hope he’s trolling, because the alternative paints a pretty dim image.
    It’s not dumb to see what you think you see. I’m still not convinced either way. I have to see it again. But I don’t really care what it turns out to be. I don’t get the personal thing. If I hate a movie and other people like it I’m happy for them. If I like a movie and other people don’t, I guess I don’t really care. I just don’t get it.
    And I surely would never refer to anybody else’s post as dumb, even if I sincerely felt that way. I ignore the dumb stuff. It seems like you’re legitimizing what you think is dumb by responding to it. Especially if it’s repeated.
    And I surely would never refer to anybody else’s post as dumb, even if I sincerely felt that way. I ignore the dumb stuff. It seems like you’re legitimizing what you think is dumb by responding to it. Especially if it’s repeated.
    You have more patience than I do in that case.