Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• edited November 2018 Posts: 1,661
    I thought one weak scene is when Hunt is chasing Walker across London. It seemed like McQuarrie thought "screw it, I can't think of another action scene - let's just have another 'Tom running' scene." Felt a bit like a parody of all the previous times Cruise has run in his films - the obvious 'taking the piss' joke when Hunt was about to jump through the office window.

If you re-watch the scene with this music you'll see my point!

:P

I think the MI franchise is a looking a tad creaky, a tad predictable, but hey, Bond has lasted 24 films and still going strong! I guess the world always needs a secret agent to save the day!
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 677
    I think the strongest scenes in Fallout are the car/motorcycle chase scenes. Pure adrenaline and when they're done you feel like you held your breath for all that time.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,541
    I think the strongest scenes in Fallout are the car/motorcycle chase scenes. Pure adrenaline and when they're done you feel like you held your breath for all that time.

The only sequence which tops was whole convoy scene from bike to car chase.
    All I can say is when is the next one!!!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just realized Fallout is only a couple of weeks from that beautiful 4K release, I can't wait to see it yet again.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Watched Fallout for third time tonight, love this movie its awesome there are genuine moments of genius in this film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,347
    Tom Cruise has "world-topping shit" planned for Mission: Impossible 7

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/mission-impossible/news/a871510/mission-impossible-7-plans-tom-cruise-world-topping/

... When questioned about the possibility of a space visit for Cruise's super-spy, the director responded: "That would be entirely up to SpaceX or NASA. They would have to be involved with that, I would imagine. Or Paramount Pictures. I don't know how much they want to invest."..
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/mission-impossible/news/a871510/mission-impossible-7-plans-tom-cruise-world-topping/

... When questioned about the possibility of a space visit for Cruise's super-spy, the director responded: "That would be entirely up to SpaceX or NASA. They would have to be involved with that, I would imagine. Or Paramount Pictures. I don't know how much they want to invest."..
    This would seem like the logical next move. I think we discussed the potential of him going into space here some months back. I really hope they do it but as McQuarrie states, costs may be an issue. I'm sure they'll make a truly fantastic entry if they go up there.
    bondjames wrote: »

This would seem like the logical next move. I think we discussed the potential of him going into space here some months back. I really hope they do it but as McQuarrie states, costs may be an issue. I'm sure they'll make a truly fantastic entry if they go up there.

Tom"s insurance must be astronomical already, though he seems hell bent on topping the last outlandish stunt. Fallout really hit the mark for me I have become a bit obsessed with the film, I can't wait to see what they do next. I am more interested in M: I than I am Bond right now though Craig's last two films fell flat for me, Bond25 needs to step up.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883

Tom"s insurance must be astronomical already, though he seems hell bent on topping the last outlandish stunt. Fallout really hit the mark for me I have become a bit obsessed with the film, I can't wait to see what they do next. I am more interested in M: I than I am Bond right now though Craig's last two films fell flat for me, Bond25 needs to step up.
    I know what you mean. I'm certainly more interested in MI for the time being given the direction they've taken with the series, although I'm first and foremost a Bond fan like most here. They've just been executing so well and have my respect. I had very high expectations for Fallout and they were met (and in some cases exceeded), which is nearly impossible for a film to do for me these days. The only other series that did that consistently for me previously was the Nolan Bat trilogy. So I think it's fitting that both directors are being discussed on the 'director thread' as potential choices for B26.

I know what you mean. I'm certainly more interested in MI for the time being given the direction they've taken with the series, although I'm first and foremost a Bond fan like most here. They've just been executing so well and have my respect. I had very high expectations for Fallout and they were met (and in some cases exceeded), which is nearly impossible for a film to do for me these days. The only other series that did that consistently for me previously was the Nolan Bat trilogy. So I think it's fitting that both directors are being discussed on the 'director thread' as potential choices for B26.

Likewise as you know I love TDK Trilogy, Fallout I felt echoed Nolan alot, and it was not just the meticulous action or the amazing film score, there are genuine moments often subtle that are genius in Fallout whether it be the walk way of mirrors or when Isla is following Ethan and they meet in the orchard, stunningly directed scenes that I did not know were in McQuarrie's locker.

I read what McQuarrie's said regarding what type of Bond film he would do, and I would be on board certainly for levity right now with the series.

Likewise as you know I love TDK Trilogy, Fallout I felt echoed Nolan alot, and it was not just the meticulous action or the amazing film score, there are genuine moments often subtle that are genius in Fallout whether it be the walk way of mirrors or when Isla is following Ethan and they meet in the orchard, stunningly directed scenes that I did not know were in McQuarrie's locker.

I read what McQuarrie's said regarding what type of Bond film he would do, and I would be on board certainly for levity right now with the series.
    I very much agree on the parallels between Fallout and Nolan. It was noted by the critics too and I felt it when I saw the film in the theatre. As you wrote, there's a subtle brilliance and attention to detail in places which recalls Nolan at his best. I felt that subtle touch with RN as well, particularly at the opera.

I'm also all for more levity once they change things up.

I very much agree on the parallels between Fallout and Nolan. It was noted by the critics too and I felt it when I saw the film in the theatre. As you wrote, there's a subtle brilliance and attention to detail in places which recalls Nolan at his best. I felt that subtle touch with RN as well, particularly at the opera.

I enjoyed RN though I have watched it the least in the series I need to do a marathon with the films, I have been waiting for the 4K boxset to drop in price so I can buy it, I managed to buy Fallout in 4K at a ridiculously cheap price, listening to that film with my 3D surround sound head phones was intense.

I enjoyed RN though I have watched it the least in the series I need to do a marathon with the films, I have been waiting for the 4K boxset to drop in price so I can buy it, I managed to buy Fallout in 4K at a ridiculously cheap price, listening to that film with my 3D surround sound head phones was intense.
    The 4K 1-5 boxset was available on amazon uk for £49 a few weeks back. Region free too. Now it's over £100. I'm kicking myself for not pulling the trigger at that time. I foolishly thought I'd get a better deal during black friday, but it was not to be. Still, it's likely to drop again because they'll be driving buyers towards the 1-6 boxset soon.

The 4K 1-5 boxset was available on amazon uk for £49 a few weeks back. Region free too. Now it's over £100. I'm kicking myself for not pulling the trigger at that time. I foolishly thought I'd get a better deal during black friday, but it was not to be. Still, it's likely to drop again because they'll be driving buyers towards the 1-6 boxset soon.

I saw one Boxset advertised on Amazon for £35 though the expected delivery was 1 - 3 months which sounded dodgy. Another I saw advertised for £170 which is ridiculous. I keep checking ebay to see if a decent deal crops up.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Personally, I hope we get back to the style of Ghost Protocol, again. I hope Brad Bird is involved with the next one, too, with McQuarrie taking a backseat, this time around, occupying himself with the script.

I love what M:I has done in this particular decade, but I really wish they take the focus away from Hunt and demonstrate the importance on other team members equally as we see with that of Hunt's. That worked with Ghost Protocol, and that's why it's the best installment in the series, yet. It retains the formula of the original series. That's what sets M:I apart from Bond and other spy shows. Otherwise, it's just Tom Cruise playing a spy in a Bond rival series that competes with Bond with his own rules.
    You got a good Point there, @ClarkDevlin.
    Personally, I hope we get back to the style of Ghost Protocol, again. I hope Brad Bird is involved with the next one, too, with McQuarrie taking a backseat, this time around, occupying himself with the script.

I love what M:I has done in this particular decade, but I really wish they take the focus away from Hunt and demonstrate the importance on other team members equally as we see with that of Hunt's. That worked with Ghost Protocol, and that's why it's the best installment in the series, yet. It retains the formula of the original series. That's what sets M:I apart from Bond and other spy shows. Otherwise, it's just Tom Cruise playing a spy in a Bond rival series that competes with Bond with his own rules.
    Ghost Protocol is probably my favorite too. It just felt so fresh when I first saw it. As much as I liked RN and Fallout, there's a touch of the "This time it's personal" thing that has infected the Bond series that isn't helping it.

As long as Cruise is the star and driving force of the series, I don't think there will be any more emphasis on the other team members. To be honest, I don't want there to be. I like them fine as what they are as I don't think any are that worthy of exploring further than what they are currently, which is experts at what they do and maybe a twist or two on them.

Is Luther that interesting or Benjie? I've always found Benjie in particular to be somewhat irritating in his quirkiness. I liked Ilsa the first time around, a lot less so in Fallout. If they really wanted to freshen things up the creators should introduce a new team member each outing with a distinct skill.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A Cameron MI, imagine the possibilities
    This could be adapted for Ethan and company. True Lies showed that he’s got a touch for this genre. Cruise and Cameron are an intriguing possibility....for any film

https://www.slashfilm.com/james-cameron-tom-cruise-space-movie/
    edited December 2018 Posts: 15,423
    BT3366 wrote: »

Ghost Protocol is probably my favorite too. It just felt so fresh when I first saw it. As much as I liked RN and Fallout, there's a touch of the "This time it's personal" thing that has infected the Bond series that isn't helping it.

As long as Cruise is the star and driving force of the series, I don't think there will be any more emphasis on the other team members. To be honest, I don't want there to be. I like them fine as what they are as I don't think any are that worthy of exploring further than what they are currently, which is experts at what they do and maybe a twist or two on them.

Is Luther that interesting or Benjie? I've always found Benjie in particular to be somewhat irritating in his quirkiness. I liked Ilsa the first time around, a lot less so in Fallout. If they really wanted to freshen things up the creators should introduce a new team member each outing with a distinct skill.
    I don't agree that the other characters are boring. I can understand the sort of dislike for Benji, but he's quirky Q done far better than what they were going for with Ben Whishaw. In anyways, however, I'd rather they start giving Simon Pegg some of his Hot Fuzz badassery, because the character seriously requires it. Make him more of a capable field agent rather than something that would appeal to geeks. It sends the message that one has to grow up, eventually. I always loved Luther, so I don't mind seeing him play a more central role rather than be a Yes Man to Ethan Hunt. In fact, none of them should be "Yes Men" to Hunt, but rather follow his lead as an IMF team.

Ilsa's case depends on the writing, but I still did love her in Fallout. She was done better in the preceding film, however. In fact, I loved her enough to want her to succeed Cruise in the role as the leader of the central IMF team Hunt manages. Then, there's Jeremy Renner in the role of William Brandt who's also very likable. His absence was sorely felt in the latest film. Like I said, a team-focused Mission: Impossible film works a lot better than "an Ethan Hunt show". Cruise can only think of how far he'll go with "the crazy stunts" and he'll eventually run out of them. He's basically playing a spy in a rival series to that of Bond's and trying to beat him in his own game without actually having a stable ground to stand on. Hunt, unfortunately, isn't an established character with signature traits that define him, and he'll eventually die out, whereas Bond will go on.

We do share similar views on Rogue Nation and Fallout, as well as the latest series of Bond films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just Got Fallout on blu ray, tonight I'll get to see what the fuss is all about!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Just Got Fallout on blu ray, tonight I'll get to see what the fuss is all about!
    You are in for a treat. Enjoy.
    Bought myself the 6-film collection on DVD from Walmart (yes, I still go for DVDs over Blu-Ray and 4K most of the time). Just had to have it after watching the series and really enjoying it.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Bought myself the 6-film collection on DVD from Walmart (yes, I still go for DVDs over Blu-Ray and 4K most of the time). Just had to have it after watching the series and really enjoying it.
    Great!

I'm trying to get a hold of the 4K versions because they've been remastered. I've managed to source RN & GP at a great price but am waiting to get a hold of Fallout & the first one in this format before watching the entire series again. I'm not going to bother upgrading MI2 & MI3 because I'm not a big fan of those.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wow, Fallout was great. Better than I expected. Crazy excellent.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Wow, Fallout was great. Better than I expected. Crazy excellent.

Glad you enjoyed it! Also thought it was amazing - my favorite MI film yet. The scene with Ethan running after Walker really did it for me.
    "I'm jumping out a window!"
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2018 Posts: 8,087
    Mission impossible is eating Bonds lunch right now that is for certain. The onus is now on EON to deliver something exceptional with Bond 25.
    For this alone Tom and Christopher deserve that I buy the Fallout br:

http://collider.com/tom-cruise-christopher-mcquarrie-motion-smoothing-psa/#images

This is the first time I see someone officially adressing this issue, I´m indefinitely grateful to Tom and Christopher. Countless People, Friends as well as store guys, seriously kept telling me that the Picture Looks better with Motion smoothing on, it was driving me nuts. A very good friend of mine invited me for a film evening with his brandnew huge Flatscreen, and it was such a torture to sit through an entire movie with this Setting. I didn´t dare adress it, because he proudly told me how meticulously he had tuned the tv.