Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• They're all pretty good movies, yes even the second. Tom cruise is possibly the biggest movie star today and been that status for 30 years.

Even Clint Eastwood himself said so!
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A lot of people say the third is their favorite, whereas that's my least favorite in the series, unfortunately.

Same here. Abrams and the writing team were ripping of their own Alias show, for christ sake. MI was more like two part Alias episode than Mission Impossible. As long as they're doing this series with Cruise, his character should never settle down. When Cruise retires from the role when he's seventy, then gi ahead and give him a normal life.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Interesting, 3 is my favorite; it could help that I've never seen a single episode of Alias,so what some see as derivative is fresh to me.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've seen the first 4 series of Alias (I lost interest between series 4 and 5), and #3 is still my favourite of the M:I films.

1. Mission: Impossible III
    2. Mission: Impossible
    3. Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol
    4. Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation
    5. Mission: Impossible II

While it sits at the bottom of the list, and is the one I watch least, even M:I 2 has it's moments.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I recently got all the MI films in a Blu-ray collection, and really need to carve out time to rewatch them all. The Bondathon has taken up all my time in that regard.

I don't think I have a favorite, as I can enjoy all of them for different reasons. Each movie is strong in one area that makes it worth the watch.

I do think Rogue Nation is the best and MI2 the worst, but I do find it very hard to rank the MI films for this exact reason. They all have a strength that makes them worth watching. They're a bit like Bond that way.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yes, even though the third one is my least favorite in the series, there's still a good bit for me to enjoy, particularly the warehouse assault toward the beginning of the film, the stuff in Rome, and Hoffman's performance. I wasn't too crazy about the finale, sadly.
    The last one was sorta eh, so I hope they step up and get to the GP days of M:I

But now that we know the filming starts soon...THE HYPE RISES!

Also I think they'll have a lot of time for filming - the difference between filming and release is like a year so I think they won't be rushing to get the movie done quickly and instead we'll get great movie.
    I´ve never seen Alias, and still don´t like certain elements in MI3.
  • Mission imp 2 is such an underrated movie, criticized mostly for using slow-mo really?
  • Already started in on 6? Take your time there, EON. . .
    I think it's time for another marathon of the movies soon for me.

My ranking is really weird:

1. Ghost Protocol

2. MI:3

3. MI: 2

4. Rogue Nation

4. MI:1
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RC7 wrote: »
    "I have no armour left. You've stripped it from me." proto-emo vibes?

CR makes MI:3 look like Dawson's Creek.

Just saying, it was common for films at the time to have a slight emo element, for whatever reason. here's another one:

"It's not who I am inside, but what I do that defines me." Batman Begins

And who can forget emo spidey strutting his stuff?

When did "emo" (?) suddenly become the term used to classify instances of existential philosophy? I guess this habit is derivative of the same word cancer that made the term "consciously uncoupling" a pseudo-alternative way to say "divorce," and that replaced actual words with actual meaning with acronyms for ease of texting.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    The last one was sorta eh, so I hope they step up and get to the GP days of M:I

But now that we know the filming starts soon...THE HYPE RISES!

Also I think they'll have a lot of time for filming - the difference between filming and release is like a year so I think they won't be rushing to get the movie done quickly and instead we'll get great movie.

I'll bet that they're shooting for a holiday 2017 release.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Now I'm awaiting confirmation that Cruise will fling himself off the top of the Eiffel Tower and rappel down to the ground.

Mwaaah, been there, done that in James Bond already ;-).
    edited February 2017 Posts: 40,473
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Now I'm awaiting confirmation that Cruise will fling himself off the top of the Eiffel Tower and rappel down to the ground.

Mwaaah, been there, done that in James Bond already ;-).

I've definitely missed the Bond film where he rappels off the top of the Eiffel Tower. There a hidden installment you lot haven't told me about that I've been missing out on all these years?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'd love some scenes in the business district (La Défense) or at the Pompidou Centre.
    I want them to go somewhere with snow, we've yet to have one snowy setting in the series.
    Mission imp 2 is such an underrated movie, criticized mostly for using slow-mo really?
    Well, I criticise it for having a female lead that doesn´t work at all. The rest is pretty cool.

• I wonder if the 3 hour plus cut of MI: 2 will ever see the light of day, be interesting to see what story was cut.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I wonder if the 3 hour plus cut of MI: 2 will ever see the light of day, be interesting to see what story was cut.

@fire_and_ice, the extra content is probably just a five minute fight scene between Ethan and a few goons that is slowed down 2X over. ;)
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I had no idea MI:3 had so much hate. It might be my favorite of the series so far.

MI:3
    Ghost Protocol
    Mission Impossible
    Rogue Nation
    MI:2 (still a good movie)
  • I wonder if the 3 hour plus cut of MI: 2 will ever see the light of day, be interesting to see what story was cut.

@fire_and_ice, the extra content is probably just a five minute fight scene between Ethan and a few goons that is slowed down 2X over. ;)

Ha ha in real time MI: 2 is in fact 30 minutes long ;)) the slow mo scene where Dougary Scott catches the scarf still cracks me up.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I wonder if the 3 hour plus cut of MI: 2 will ever see the light of day, be interesting to see what story was cut.

I would imagine the cut content is more likely a fight between Ethan and the exploding glasses in the opening sequence. After removing the glasses he engages in an intense fist fight with the sentient spectacles before they detonate.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Looking forward to MI:6, with no Bond on the horizon, the. Ethan Hunt and the team at IMF have to be my go to series, for Spy action.
    As far as ranking the films, I do like the first one. But I'd probably go....

1. Ghost Protocol
    2. Rogue Nation
    3. MI:1
    4. MI:3
    5 MI:2

Have to watch Rogue Nation again so I can rank 'em. But the first one I still think it's the best.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I'd rank the MI movies as follows:

I
    RN
    GP
    III
    II
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Ghost Protocol (hands down)
    Rogue Nation (Opera sequence and Ilsa)
    1 (abomination but a great psychological thriller with espionage)
    2 (John Woo flick)
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---
    3 (soap opera)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    From dullest to best:

M:I -> M:II
    > M:III -> RN -> GP
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The thing is, if the character of Jim Phelps hadn't turned out to be the traitor and the main villain (imagine when you're watching a Bond film where James Bond turns out to be the traitor and main villain, then gets killed in the end), the first film would have ended up being up there with Ghost Protocol. II, III and Rogue Nation are Ethan Hunt thrillers rather than Mission: Impossible films.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    It look like there wil again go for July/August release. Dutch release date is now 2 August 2018.

Marc Wolff (helicopter pilot) wil return (from Mi4).
    Peter Wenham (Fast5, Bourne Ultimatum, Now You see Me, Captain America 2) is the production designer and Phil Sims (Avengers 2, Captain America, The Martian) art directer. Both working on Inferno (2016) who play in France.

For last two movies there hired same cinematographer and production designer. There hired a new production desinger for this 6th movie. So we willl see or cinematopgraher Robert Elswit wil be replaced too.

Also Editor is not confirmd yet, mabey Eddie Hamilton wil return from the 5th movie after he is finished with Kingsmen 2.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Christopher Mcquarrie “I’ve seen five of these movies and I don’t know who Ethan Hunt is. One movie sort of dealt with his personal life; the other movies are about people speculating what’s really going on in Ethan’s head. I want to know who Ethan is in this movie, I want an emotional journey for this character, and Tom really embraced it.”

His approach this time, then, was to say “‘I don’t want to string together a bunch of action scenes, I want to actually deal with character’. So I put Ethan in a bunch of complicated moral quandaries, and I’m trying to find ways to connect them – and then, ironically, the way to connect them was through giant action scenes.”

http://collider.com/mission-impossible-6-opening-scene-christopher-mcquarrie/