Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The next MI may actually be a return to that emotional depth and character conflict of before, as Hunt is in a place where he could move on with Rebecca Ferguson's character and call it a day. I think MI 6 will test Hunt in many ways, most prominently in regards to how he wants the rest of his life to play out, and if he is ready to walk away from his current life for something new. He'll no doubt feel pressures by the team or his agency to stay on, and it'll be a tug of war over the course of the film as he figures out how he's going to proceed.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    When Tom eventually throws in the towel, I'd like to see a reboot in the style of the original show.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Murdock wrote: »
    When Tom eventually throws in the towel, I'd like to see a reboot in the style of the original show.

This.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Murdock wrote: »

This.

That. ;)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    They could even relegate Hunt to being a mentor to a team of spies, like Jim Phelps in MI 1. He'd have a little screen time throughout, but nothing major and would be kept out of the field.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation $25,000,000
    Edge of Tomorrow $23,000,000
    Oblivion $20,000,000
    Jack Reacher $7,500,000
    Rock of Ages $5,000,000
    Mission Impossible – Ghost Protocol $12,000,000
    Knight and Day $11,000,000 + %
    Valkyrie $20,000,000 against 20%
    Mission Impossible III $75,000,000 of gross
    War of the Worlds 20 % Profits
    The Last Samurai $25,000,000 + %
    Minority Report $25,000,000
    Vanilla Sky $20,000,000 + 30%
    Mission Impossible II $75,000,000 of gross
    Magnolia $100,000
    Eyes Wide Shut $20,000,000
    Jerry Maguire $20,000,000 against 15%
    Mission Impossible $70,000,000 of gross
    Interview with the Vampire $15,000,000
    The Firm $12,000,000
    A Few Good Men $12,500,000
    Far and Away $13,000,000
    Days of Thunder $9,000,000
    Born on the Fourth of July % of gross
    Rain Man $3,000,000 + %
    Cocktail $3,000,000
    The Color of Money $1,000,000
    Top Gun $2,000,000
    Legend $500,000
    Risky Business $75,000
    Taps $50,000

MI franchise is where Tom makes his major money, Tom is probably in his strongest bargaining position after the last 2 MI film. I remember his career dipped after MI 3, Renner was brought in to co star initially. Tom is big Box Office at the moment I think the MI films will do better with him, pay him what he wants IMO.
    A bump in the road.
    Pre-production on Bond #25 has been put on hold by MGM according to...

"OMG, the Bond franchise is in danger!" :-o
    Pre-production on Bond #25 has been put on hold by MGM according to...

"OMG, the Bond franchise is in danger!" :-o

They started pre-production! Here I was thinking they'd forgotten all about Mr Bond
    At least the MI films have distribution and people behind the scenes eager to get another installment going.
    At least the MI films have distribution and people behind the scenes eager to get another installment going.

It's not a matter of eagerness that delays Bond films, it's the difficult legal construction between MGM, EON and a 3rd partner as distributor.

It's not a matter of eagerness that delays Bond films, it's the difficult legal construction between MGM, EON and a 3rd partner as distributor.

We're all aware of that side of it, but it's shown in comments from MGM especially that nobody is in a rush about getting another Bond out anytime soon, as in the three to four year cycle comments. You'd think the desire to make another billion would prompt MGM and co. to really get moving on the distribution deal, yet we've not heard a peep.

We're all aware of that side of it, but it's shown in comments from MGM especially that nobody is in a rush about getting another Bond out anytime soon, as in the three to four year cycle comments. You'd think the desire to make another billion would prompt MGM and co. to really get moving on the distribution deal, yet we've not heard a peep.

That's because EON is adament on getting Craig back. And if EON believes they need Craig for a 5th time to make a perfect Bond film, then so be it.

I mean, will we complain about M:I if production is halted? If Paramount wants Cruise, and Universal wants Damon to play Bourne, then why not Craig back for a 5th outing?

In a way, I think we Bond fans are a bit spoiled brats. Be patient. If Paramount wants to milk out Cruise every four years, then we should be happy we have a Bond flick sooner than that.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Paramount wants Cruise back. Filming will probably start less than 1.5 years since the 5th M:I outing was released. Cruise made 3 films as the lead actor in those 1.5 years.
    I want Craig back more than most on here, that's not the issue. It's not about being spoiled, it's just that so often these rumors and bookie nonsense stories are given credence while EON just wait in the wings and don't make any real efforts to push the Bond brand and assure people that gears are turning, or that they are not in fact moving on from Craig. Sure, things could be moving at lightning speed, or pre-production could be at a snail's pace and we wouldn't know it, but from the looks of it we'll be in the latter stage for a long time going, with no hints of an update from EON to ease our worries.

In relation to other Bond productions it may be that only a little less than a year has passed since the last Bond film was released, but interesting developments have been had since then in relation to Dan's many projects carrying him into 2017 and the way SP ended with a conclusion that could be continued on from or left alone, it'd be nice to know where EON is intending to go with the series next.

Maybe it's too early to ask for even a confirmation about Dan's involvement in Bond's future, and some (me included) can sometimes ask too much. I must say, however, I know I'm not the only one all these bookie reports and other tabloid garbage Bond casting rumors are getting to, and the mystery on EON's side doesn't help things at times.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    A deal has been agreed with Tom Cruise. Filming for 'Mission Impossible 6' will begin in Spring 2017.

http://www.slashfilm.com/tom-cruise-will-return-for-mission-impossible-6/#more-374374
    Idk how I feel about the director/writer returning as I felt that RN wasn't the strongest M:I movie..
    Great news!
    I still haven't seen Rogue Nation yet!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    With a username like RogueAgent, this is unacceptable.

Please do. It's a superior cinematic experience, and in my view quite Bondian in a pre-Craig kind of way.
    bondjames wrote: »

Please do. It's a superior cinematic experience, and in my view quite Bondian in a pre-Craig kind of way.

I will do as I know it is quite ironic! ;))
    edited September 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Dammit, @RogueAgent! Are you telling me Ving Rhames hasn't come round your place and threatened you enough such that you've agreed to watch MI: RN yet?

What the hell am I paying him for then?!

Forget Ethan Hunt and his team, the real impossible mission here is getting you to watch this movie. ;)

I agree it was somehow quite Bondian - made me want the more light-humoured Bond of old, and I'm very much a fan of the more gritty Bond film and Craig's films too.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I agree it was somehow quite Bondian - made me want the more light-humoured Bond of old, and I'm very much a fan of the more gritty Bond film and Craig's films too.

But when it comes to both Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation, the key point for me is that they were fun without being dumb. A lot of films these days try to be smart and lose the fun, and vice versa. Very few have balanced the two elements all that well.
    Dammit, @RogueAgent! Are you telling me Ving Rhames hasn't come round your place and threatened you enough such that you've agreed to watch MI: RN yet?

What the hell am I paying him for then?!

Forget Ethan Hunt and his team, the real impossible mission here is getting you to watch this movie. ;)

:)) Yeah i am having a shocker when getting my hands on this movie! At least you know i am consistant! ;)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/renner-may-not-take-a-sixth-mission/
    Renner May Not Take A Sixth “Mission”
    By
    Garth Franklin
    Saturday, November 12th 2016 6:11 am

With a sixth film in the “Mission: Impossible” series set to hit in July 2018, it’s expected much of the cast of the last two films will also be back including the confirmed Tom Cruise and Rebecca Ferguson along with the likely Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames and Jeremy Renner.

However, Renner says the return of his William Brandt character isn’t so certain due to the film’s production schedule. Speaking with Collider, the actor suggested his involvement as Clint Barton/Hawkeeye in the Marvel Cinematic Universe could make it harder for him to return – especially with filming likely to crossover with the “Infinity War” movies:

“MI6, I’m not sure what’s happening. I think it’s going to be coming down to…I know that they’re really wanting to get it going, and I haven’t spoken to Tom yet about where it’s at. I know there might be some conflict with schedules, so I’m not sure what’s going to happen. Avengers is gonna eat up a lot of next year. Gladly, but I certainly hope it doesn’t ultimately get in the way of Tom and I and the gang getting back together for that, because I’d love to.”

Though Renner’s involvement in the project is not yet confirmed with details of the next film being kept under wraps except, filmmaker Christopher McQuarrie returns as both writer and director and suggested to Renner on Twitter back in March that he’ll likely be needed again..

“Mission: Impossible 6” is scheduled to hit cinemas July 27th 2018.
    How much will Hawkeye even be in the Infinity War films? I can't see him taking up lots of screen time.
  • I think I am getting very very excited now after reading the first English review of 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol'. The first ratings on IMDB.com come in and the movie kicks of with a solid 7.8. Then I read this review on www.worldofkj.com and I suddenly can't wait to see the premiere of the new MI-film next Friday (December 16th) here in Barcelona (I am Dutch, but I work here now ;)). Enjoy the review and to prepare for the upcoming action flicks, like 'The Dark Knight Rises', 'The Bourne Legacy' and 'Skyfall', I recommend everyone to see next week's premiere of 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol'. Enjoy this 133 min. action ride ;)!:
    Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)

It has been 15 years now that the first big screen adaptation of Mission: Impossible hit the theatres. The Brian De Palma film was greeted with mostly mixed reviews which applauded the film’s style and its star, Tom Cruise, but lamented the overly convoluted plot. Nevertheless, the film became a huge success and four years later John Woo brought another Mission: Impossible film to life which dismissed the thriller and conspiracy aspects of the first film and replaced them with an action spectacle just as one would expect of Woo. Once again, the reviewers were less than kind to the film, this time taking issue with the truly generic plot and gaping holes in logic. Yet the film became a huge success once again and still stands as the series’ highest grosser. It took another six years for Mission: Impossible to return to theatres as JJ Abrams crossed over from TV (where he has created hit shows like Alias and Lost) to movies and made Mission: Impossible 3 his first feature film. The fast-paced actioner which returned to the TV show’s roots by emphasizing the team efforts of the IMF instead of being a Cruise one-man-show garnered the series’ best reviews. Unfortunately it also became a financial disappointment in its domestic run, making significantly less than both of its predecessors. The film’s underperformance which was partly attributed to Cruise’s real life antics even led to a breakup between Paramount and Tom Cruise’s Cruise/Wagner production company after a 14 year business relationship. Many thought this to be the end of the successful franchise

Now, five years later, we’re just a week away from the release of the newest entry in the spy action series. Successful cash cows don’t die in Hollywood and one disappointment is certainly not enough to prevent the studios from trying again. Good critical reception and solid overseas numbers for the last film certainly facilitated the new one coming to fruition. Cruise wasn’t ready to give up on his “baby”. Besides, after recent box-office disappointments like Knight and Day or Lions for Lambs he really needed another sure-fire hit. He hasn’t had a $100+ million grosser since the release of Mission: Impossible III. Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol is certain to change that. Aside from being a sure way to grab a lot of cash, it is also a damn good movie too!

Unlike with the previous Mission: Impossible films, this one doesn’t come along with an entirely new cast and crew. JJ Abrams didn’t return as the director, but he stayed on board as a producer and his influence is still felt in the film. Prime examples of that are the strong female character of Jane Carter as played by Paula Patton and the villainous Moreau, portrayed by Léa Seydoux – the franchise’s first major female antagonist. Moreover, while M:I-regular Luther Stickell (Ving Rhames) is reduced to a tiny cameo in this film, Simon Pegg’s Benji returns from Mission: Impossible III in a role that essentially fills Rhames’. His screen time has been vastly expanded from the third film too. On top of that, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol is the first Mission: Impossible film not to completely ignore the previous film’s plot, but actually brings in some continuity in the proceedings, such as explaining the absence of Ethan Hunt’s wife, Julia, in the fourth movie.

After a cold opening showing an IMF mission gone wrong in Budapest, new film kicks off with a spectacular breakout from a Russian prison as orchestrated by the IMF agents Jane Carter (Paula Patton) and Benji Dunn (Simon Pegg). The person they are breaking out – Ethan Hunt. Shortly after the successful escape, the team receives a new mission – to retrieve an important file on a potential nuclear terrorist. The catch – those files are located in the heart of the Kremlin. But the mission isn’t called “impossible” for nothing, is it? Even though Hunt manages to infiltrate the Kremlin, the whole operation turns out to be a set-up leading to a giant explosion demolishing the Kremlin and the blame being put on the operating IMF team. That leads the US president to initiating Ghost Protocol – disavowing the entire IMF and branding the team in Moscow as terrorists. Just after the Secretary of the IMF (Tom Wilkinson) and his chief analyst Brandt (Jeremy Renner) deliver this message to Hunt (who managed to escape the Russian custody), the three are attacked by Russian forces. Realizing that there’s more behind the whole thing and that a Swedish madman scientist/ex-special forces member Kurt Hendricks (Michael Nyqvist in his second villainous role this year after the one in Abduction) is about to get his hands on the launch codes for Russian nuclear missiles Hunt, Carter, Dunn and Brandt become the world’s last stand between the terrorist and a nuclear war. Their hunt after Hendricks leads them first to Dubai and then, for the film’s spectacular finale, to Mumbai.

The greatest trick the fourth Mission: Impossible film somehow manages is to feel fresh. Don’t expect to see a lot of originality here or anything resembling any realism or inherent logic. The film embraces its over-the-top silliness and plays with it well. Despite that, however, it still feels like a fresh start and a way to possibly establish a consistent Mission: Impossible franchise in which, unlike in most Bond films, the previous adventures aren’t completely ignored and the cast and crew aren’t always completely replaced. Mission: Impossible III has already managed to stress the team efforts on a mission, even though it still put Ethan Hunt very much in the spotlight. Ghost Protocol takes this even a little further by giving all tram members significant portions of each operation to accomplish and gives them all their own action scenes too. For the first time, all the IMF accomplishments truly feel like a team effort. Cruise is still the clear leading man here and he is, as usual, perfect in the role of Hunt. He handles the action scenes terrifically well (you can see that he did most of his stunts himself) and is still effortlessly cool (again sporting a longer haircut as he did in M:I-2).

The rest of the cast is definitely worth mentioning too. Paula Patton essentially took over Maggie Q’s role from the third film, but added more emotional layers and substance to it. She is great in action sequences as well as in the film’s (few) quieter moments. Simon Pegg works very well as Benji and helps to make this the franchise’s funniest entry by a mile. But it’s Jeremy Renner as Brandt who really makes an impression here. Brought to the movie as a potential replacement for Cruise in the future instalments he handles the role splendidly. A great presence in the action scenes (though you can see his lack of experience as compared to Cruise’s Hunt), Renner also displays more layers than you’d expect of a character like this. Moreover, his interactions with Pegg are quite funny too. But more important than these actors’ individual efforts is the fact that the four just work exceptionally well as a team.

As for the rest of the cast, Nyqvist does his job just fine, even though he’s character is pretty much a generic madman. That’s also a diversion from the usual formula. In the past movies the villains were usually after something specific, be it money or some secret weapon. This time around, the IMF is simply dealing with an insane fanatic who thinks that a nuclear war is just the thing that our planet earth needs to start anew. As mentioned above, Léa Seydoux stone-cold angel-faced assassin also makes an impression, while the appearances by Josh Holloway and Anil Kapoor are nothing more than glorified cameos, though the latter’s character is quite amusing.

With Brad Bird the most unusual director to date has been chosen for a Mission: Impossible movie. Brad who has directed critical hits Ratatouille, The Incredibles and The Iron Giant hasn’t made a single live action movie before. Turns out he was just the perfect choice as he can direct action better than most experienced action directors nowadays. Michael Bay really should take a look at this before making his next movie. Bird brings his sensibility for characters and situational humor to this movie while never forgetting what this franchise is about: elaborate action sequences (usually involving scary heights), fast cars and crazy gadgets. All of these and more are present. Bird has delivered the distinctly best action movie of the year with Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol. Starting with the film’s opening scene in Budapest, this globe-trotting adventure never slows down, delivering several huge action set pieces. The Dubai sandstorm chase and the final showdown in Mumbai being the major standouts, the film is just filled with imaginative non-stop action that delivers all the thrills one would hope to see in a film like this. Unlike a movie like Quantum of Solace, Ghost Protocol actually manages to make its action very engaging, always keeping the viewer on the edge of the seat, even though they know that the good guys will win and the bad guys will be defeated. That’s truly successful filmmaking.

Of course it is possible to complain about issues with logic, apparent immortality and invulnerability of some main characters or the ridiculous gadgets. But frankly, a movie that barely gives you a moment to catch your breath (and that despite a 2+ hours running time) and has your eyes glued to the screen doesn’t give you much of an opportunity to think about its flaws. It’s a high octane thrill ride that is the definition of a great summer popcorn movie – except that it is not released in the summer.

Who is actually doing this? Changing my original topic without my authorization?

I mean, no hard feelings. But sjee, is a PM that hard to send these days? Or what about proposals like these? http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/17387/standardized-templates-for-tv-series-topics#latest

Good suggestions I think, that shouldn't be unnoticed by forum moderators. Yet this original "Ghost Protocol" topic....deserves its on place on here no?

Again, no hard feelings. I don't mind a topic name change. I actually completely forgot about this topic anyway. But now I see it....and I think a remark from my side is entirely valid.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 40,473
    Apologies; however, we don't need separate topics for all films of all genres of all series, that's when this place gets bloated beyond belief. No harm in having an already existing thread reserved for this popular series. If it makes you feel better, I didn't edit it (at least I don't recall doing it...).