Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    After watching both MI:RN and SP both last week, my question is how the hell did the plots end up so similar? IMF dissolving as well as the 00 program. Attacks on various areas from an unknown organization. Bond and Hunt both ending up rogue with their respective governments trying to bring them back in. Even the locations, Austria, Morocco, London.

I think they did some reshoots for the ending of 'Rogue Nation' after the SP leaks. But that doesn't explain how the rest of the film is so similar to SP, since filming was well underway by the time the script of SP leaked.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    After watching both MI:RN and SP both last week, my question is how the hell did the plots end up so similar? IMF dissolving as well as the 00 program. Attacks on various areas from an unknown organization. Bond and Hunt both ending up rogue with their respective governments trying to bring them back in. Even the locations, Austria, Morocco, London.

I think they did some reshoots for the ending of 'Rogue Nation' after the SP leaks. But that doesn't explain how the rest of the film is so similar to SP, since filming was well underway by the time the script of SP leaked.

Not to mention I felt that they pushed the release date up from December to July, not only because of Star Wars, but to have the "Hey we did it here first" mentality.
  • After watching both MI:RN and SP both last week, my question is how the hell did the plots end up so similar? IMF dissolving as well as the 00 program. Attacks on various areas from an unknown organization. Bond and Hunt both ending up rogue with their respective governments trying to bring them back in. Even the locations, Austria, Morocco, London.
    I'm thoroughly convinced either Christopher McQuarrie's script was stolen by Sam Mendes, or vice versa. Either that or it was just a coincidence .
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's probably just a coincidence, much like how 'The Raid' and 'Dredd' were eerily similar after releasing within less than a year of one another. Plus, a lot of those points are easy to find in plenty of other action movies (a rogue agent, unknown terrorist organization, etc. These are staples of just about any generic action movie these days.)
    I just realized something..

"Your mission should you choose to accept it..."

...what if an agent doesn't accept the mission??
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I just realized something..

"Your mission should you choose to accept it..."

...what if an agent doesn't accept the mission??

I can only assume another agent would be offered the mission, then.
    /\ The agent will probably be disavowed ;))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    No one is obligated to accept an impossible mission. :P
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks for posting @talos7. That is a great read. The original De Palma MI is an excellent benchmark film. I didn't like it much when it came out, due to the Phelps twist in particular, but also the strange camera angles and so on. I loved the location work in Prague though, and it's one of the films that made me want to visit that city, which I did in 2001 (an absolutely incredible place - excellent beer and amazing looking women too).

Now the film almost seems contemporary & ground breaking, since a lot of its stunts and plot points have been used numerous times since in other franchises. It's a much more impressive film than the 2nd one imho.

Reading that piece makes me want to watch it again.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 9,779
    So when is Mission impossible 6 coming out 2017?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Some interesting facts in that MI article. :)
    Cruise took a smart route and made $70 million off the first film? Wow, had no idea. It's rare you see articles like that that ARE filled with cool tidbits you didn't know.
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    I think they start filming it in the autumn so it's possible.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,692
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I think they start filming it in the autumn so it's possible.

Once he finishes making 'The Mummy', Tom Cruise said he will film 'Luna Park' first before doing 'M:I:6'. So probably we are looking at a summer 2018 release (Cruise already has 3 potential 2017 releases, with Mena and The Mummy already confirmed, and maybe 'Luna Park' if there is no delays).
    Apparently "Mission Impossible 6 has been halted due to salary disputes with Tom Cruise"
    ...dang it
    Based on Rogue Nation's box office I am sure it will get resolved quickly, Tom being a producer isn't he his own pay master to an extent. ;))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Based on Rogue Nation's box office I am sure it will get resolved quickly, Tom being a producer isn't he his own pay master to an extent. ;))

He feels very torn. As an actor, he wants more money. As a producer, he tries to bring his own salary down. The conflict is immense. I hear he is about to sack himself.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It will all be worked out and Ethan Hunt will be back on the screen before James Bond :/

He feels very torn. As an actor, he wants more money. As a producer, he tries to bring his own salary down. The conflict is immense. I hear he is about to sack himself.
    The quandary of either 30 million or 25 million basic pay I don't know how poor Tom sleeps, seriously though he makes some serious sums of money for each of the MI films.

• RC7RC7

The quandary of either 30 million or 25 million basic pay I don't know how poor Tom sleeps, seriously though he makes some serious sums of money for each of the MI films.

Gotta fund the church, somehow.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Tom should just take 'points' rather than a salary. MI6 will do very well at the box office anyway.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    For all the stunts he does, Tom deserves a little extra.
    It is a question we need to ask ourselves now: What will happen to the "Mission: Impossible"-franchise when Tom Cruise leaves? Especially now that's a valid question. We saw what happened to the "Jason Bourne"-franchise recently. The Bond-franchise had to go to this trouble in the 1960's. It confronted the Bond producers with questions about the longevity of the franchise. Eventually, we know Bond survived, by simply recasting the lead every now and then.

In order to sustain the "Mission: Impossible"-franchise one has to think how to continue without the leading man. Are we going to re-cast Ethan Hunt? Or will we introduce a new lead, played by a different actor? Bond already went through this shit in the late 1960's, now it's time for Jason Bourne and Ethan Hunt to arrive at this decisive moment in their franchises.
    I've observed that in recent years the Mission Impossible franchise has surpassed Bond when it comes to the quality of the films. I think the last three MI films are stronger as a group than the same number from EON. But I've also said that, as a whole, the MI series and franchise is not nearly as iconic as Bond. I do wonder, and have concern about, what will happen when Craig calls it quits; but it doesn't matter to me at all if the MI series continues once Cruise does the same. If it ends with his exit, so be it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This is all rather small apples, @Gustav_Graves. I imagine the series focus on Ethan Hunt will end when Tom decides he's done, then the studio may revamp after a couple/few years with a new MI series that has the focus on another character, who will be the new focus of their own set of films, connected or not to Tom's. Greed will motivate the studio to still make these films no matter what, and they're consistent winners at the box office and well loved.

Bourne is neither here nor there. While Bond is Bond and the MI films are the best at clever gadgetry and action at present, Bourne is just kind of there. It does its thing, which basically amounts to Jason being chased by the government every film, and that's about it. It's the least innovative, least malleable, least interesting of any of the modern spy franchises, and while it was paradigm changing in some ways at the start, now it's rather old hat and has a far more finite place in cinema than ever before. There's no need to have more Bourne films, and as the filmmakers continue to try and come up with more ways to justify new movies, the more they shoot themselves in the foot. The books are just as bad, making Bourne come out of the shadows every year or so for yet another contrived plot that tests him in some way, ad nauseam. Let the poor bastard retire, I say.

Bond and MI have never and will never have this kind of existential problem on celluloid, as they are very similar in that they both play by a defined template and there are a legion of ways they could each proceed at any given moment to still keep the movies fresh and interesting for years and years. Bourne will always just be cat and mouse games, nothing more. Will the fight sequences be good? Sure. Will there be at least one bonkers chase? Most definitely. But that stuff gets old fast, especially when a massive amount in the genre are doing it these days, and better.
    It's not 'small apple's. It's a very valid question. And so far I hear a lot of supportive comments on the "M:I"-franchise, but no real answers to my question.

Let me be frank, I want the "M:I"-franchise to go on forever. The recipe is there to make that franchise as enduring as James Bond. So I'm a bit disappointed that people say "I don't care if the franchise is done after Tom Cruise leaves". It's an indifferent remark. And "Mission: Impossible" deserves better. And that stars with a detailed answer to my question.

I have to disagree though that the four Craig films are on the whole not as good as the last "Mission: Impossible" films. The last 4 James Bond films gave us more emotional depth, better written characters, and on the whole a more groundbreaking shake-up as opposed to "Mission: Impossible". "Mission: Impossible" has yet to be shaken up fiercefully.....when for instance Tom Cruise leaves the franchise.
    I think I may have come off as too cavalier in my remarks. I am a big fan of the M.I. Series and would love to see it continue beyond Cruise; it just doesn't hold the same place as Bond.
    @Gustav_Graves, I didn't say I didn't care if the franchise ended, I said that the MI as we know it (Hunt and his team) would be done when Tom was, and the studio would then have to decide its future after that point. How you read far more into that, I have no idea.

I don't want the series to go on and on though, when those involved aren't game for it or working with consistent success. And a lot of interest in MI lives and dies with Tom as well, as he is the face of the brand. Without him in the picture, another series of films centered on another character isn't destined for success, endangering any future prospects for the franchise following his departure. Just look at how the Matt Damon-less Bourne Legacy ended up (another Jeremy Renner project, funnily enough).

And when did I say that the four Craig films don't match up to the MI films? Again, where you got that, I have no idea. No doubt from a filmmaking standpoint I enjoy the Bond films more, and its characters mean more to me. That being said, it'd be foolish not to admit how much Bond could learn from MI, with its clever use of action in a way that doesn't blow up the budget, as well as how the MI films choreograph their action and various set pieces in fresh and exciting ways each go around. There's always moments sprinkled throughout those movies where I'm elated at how the filmmakers display the gadgets of the team and how clever their solutions to their problems are on the fly. We never get to see Bond do that, or see it displayed how bright and resourceful he is beyond him shooting or hitting things, and that's a shame.
    As far as emotional depth, I think a decision was made not to go too far down that road. Hunt distanced himself from his wife for her safety but it also keeps the series from becoming bogged down in domestic complexities; each adventure can be, for the most part, what many Bond fans have been calling for, standalone stories, each with minimal connection to the prior.