Quick Big Mi6 Main Villain Ranking Game

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Brandauer is the only NSNA related thing I can think of that can compete with the real Bond films.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree with @DarthDimi so much so… that this Largo is my #10…. I will show myself out now…
    peter wrote: »
    I agree with @DarthDimi so much so… that this Largo is my #10…. I will show myself out now…

I had him at #11, @peter. And I am known as McClory's biggest hater. ;-)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @DarthDimi … 😂, I don’t feel so lonely anymore!
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Brandauer is the only NSNA related thing I can think of that can compete with the real Bond films.

I'd say NSNA's Felix and henchlady could give their Eon counterparts a serious run for their money. I find NSNA's motorcycle chase more entertaining than a fair number of Eon's vehicle chases too (though I know you're not a fan of that scene).
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,608
    Sorry for being really late with this, but as an obituary for Kristatos:
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    So who voted #11 alongside me? Kudos to you
    That was me. I don't think at all that FYEO supposedly lacks menace. The real main villain, in a Blofeld-like withdrawn way, is Gogol imo (a likeable one, though). There are the Cold War implications, the sinking of the St. Georges, Kriegler, the supposedly deadly Columbo with his organization etc.

Kristatos fits in really well as someone who can manipulate MI6 and Bond into thinking he's an ally when he's one of their greatest enemies and who can set up the innocent Columbo as the culprit. And who provides a nice plot twist.

I much prefer it this way, to have a villain without much personal menace, but with a high-stakes plot, than to have a personally menacing one; I usually dislike those a lot (and sometimes they even have terribly low-stakes plots).
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Our journey continues with our number 16:

SOPHIE MARCEAU
    as Elektra King
    in THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH

elekta.jpeg?fit=554%2C768&ssl=1

Elektra appears to be a very divisive character as she has both her loyal fans as well as quite a few detractors.

Six bottom 5’s were noted, of which her lowest score was one penultimate placement.

On the other hand however, she received two gold medals as well. There was also one 6th place, one 7th, one 9th and two 10th places, giving her seven top 10’s in total.

Her most frequent placement was 18th, on four occasions.

Elektra King received a total of 114 points, coming in as the runner-up of the Brosnan era.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Not with me. I had her at 24. She is lovely to look at, but most of her scenes are too soap opera like. I get bored. She has a couple of good scenes with Renard, though.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 12,242
    Let me try a newest main villain ranking. It's remarkably difficult! I'm hopeful Lyutsifer Safin is going to end up high on here soon - at least Top 10:

1. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (OHMSS)
    2. Dr. Julius No
    3. Francisco Scaramanga
    4. Alec Trevelyan
    5. Raoul Silva
    6. Franz Sanchez
    7. Maximillian Zorin
    8. Le Chiffre
    9. Dr. Kananga
    10. Elektra King
    11. Auric Goldfinger
    12. Elliot Carver
    13. Rosa Klebb
    14. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (YOLT)
    15. Dominic Greene
    16. Aristotle Kristatos
    17. Emilio Largo
    18. Hugo Drax
    19. Karl Stromberg
    20. Kamal Khan
    21. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (SP)
    22. Georgi Koskov
    23. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (DAF)
    24. Gustav Graves

#1-3 are the full flipping package: high intelligence, can match Bond in combat, are really cool, and have awesome lairs. #4-8 are super excellent as well and are secured in the Top 10, really hard to have in any certain order. Really like #9-11. Elliot Carver's enjoyed the biggest upward jump of the baddies on my list in recent times, as has TND in my film rankings. It becomes more and more difficult to really separate them down the stretch, but I would say the only ones that "disappoint" me (all have good qualities) are my bottom 4.
    Not with me. I had her at 24. She is lovely to look at, but most of her scenes are too soap opera like. I get bored. She has a couple of good scenes with Renard, though.

I had her at 18, pretty much for the same reasons @Thunderfinger stated. She was wonderful in some French arthouse movies and held up well in films such as Braveheart. But she suffered from P&W's poor writing.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,727
    Little late to the game.
    Had Max Largo at 20, quite good but still doesnt quite make the grade! Has some good scenes, particularly with Carreras Fatima Blush.
    As for Marceau, I had her at 14. She's the best thing in a bad movie. Yes, the writing is awful, but for me, she rises above it. Sexy, sensual, but ultimately total psychotic, she deserved a better Bond movie than TWINE!
  • I had Max Largo at 24, and Elektra at 9. Shame she was in such a bore-fest.
  • Elektra was my 10th spot. She’s the highlight of The World is Not Enough; her performance is really wonderful and absolutely elevates the material. Add on that her unique position as one of the only main female villains, a solid twist reveal from Bond girl to baddy, and a memorable death, and that makes for top 10 material in my book.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Had her as my 16th!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    marc wrote: »
    Sorry for being really late with this, but as an obituary for Kristatos:
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    So who voted #11 alongside me? Kudos to you
    That was me. I don't think at all that FYEO supposedly lacks menace. The real main villain, in a Blofeld-like withdrawn way, is Gogol imo (a likeable one, though). There are the Cold War implications, the sinking of the St. Georges, Kriegler, the supposedly deadly Columbo with his organization etc.

Kristatos fits in really well as someone who can manipulate MI6 and Bond into thinking he's an ally when he's one of their greatest enemies and who can set up the innocent Columbo as the culprit. And who provides a nice plot twist.

I much prefer it this way, to have a villain without much personal menace, but with a high-stakes plot, than to have a personally menacing one; I usually dislike those a lot (and sometimes they even have terribly low-stakes plots).

Good stuff, @marc, I can agree with that. Sometimes a villain can stand out without needing some huge, personal connection to Bond or not requiring something that particularly makes him stand out from others - he's just sinister and dastardly and selfish in his own right.

And much like @DarthDimi, Elektra came in at 18 for me as well. I love her pained performance, walking the line between innocent daughter, bruised kidnap victim and the sinister, twisted head of her own plan, with Renard wrapped around her finger, accepting his inevitable death in order to make her dream come true.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    She finished in the 26th spot for me. She comes off like a spoiled brat at times and I don't feel the emotional depth or weight of what the character is supposedly going through and what she suffered in the past.

The soap opera comparisons are spot on. They tried to shake up the formula with TWINE and make it more of a drama but it doesn't always work and Elektra is at the center of it all.
    Sophie Marceau was Elektrafying in this role.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    pachazo wrote: »
    She finished in the 26th spot for me. She comes off like a spoiled brat at times and I don't feel the emotional depth or weight of what the character is supposedly going through and what she suffered in the past.

The soap opera comparisons are spot on. They tried to shake up the formula with TWINE and make it more of a drama but it doesn't always work and Elektra is at the center of it all.

This. 25th for me.
    Sophie Marceau is my third favourite actress of all time, leaving everyone in her wake except for the Italian duo Monica Vitti-Claudia Cardinale.

She has it all, the acting chops, the elegant looks, the sensual voice. She’s the best thing about TWINE, a film I’ve always appreciated more than most.

Bond thinks he has found another Tracy, but he has found another Blofeld instead.

Elektra came in at number one for me. My favourite Bond villain behind Luciana Paluzzi. Since the latter is not the main villain of TB, Sophie makes my top 1 main antagonist of the series.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Sophie Marceau is my third favourite actress of all time, leaving everyone in her wake except for the Italian duo Monica Vitti-Claudia Cardinale.

She has it all, the acting chops, the elegant looks, the sensual voice. She’s the best thing about TWINE, a film I’ve always appreciated more than most.

Bond thinks he has found another Tracy, but he has found another Blofeld instead.

Elektra came in at number one for me. My favourite Bond villain behind Luciana Paluzzi. Since the latter is not the main villain of TB, Sophie makes my top 1 main antagonist of the series.

Wow, can see where you're coming from, Pierce2Daniel, Marceau (I just watched her recently in 'One Deadly Summer' and she is fantastic in it!) is terrific, but she is saddled with some awful dialogue. It was nice to get a female villain, but she was up against it with a poor script and direction!
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,844
    As with @GoldenGun, Elektra has long been my favorite Bond villain. I find her far and away the most original, best written, and best performed non-Fleming villain and the most fascinating of the series. The "dark Tracy" angle, having Bond fall for a bird with her wing down only to discover she is truly a kind of Blofeld, was masterfully conceived and in my own opinion masterfully executed. For her own part, Marceau makes not only Bond but the audience as well fall for Elektra's charms before revealing what a twisted mind she really is. Between the severing of her own ear, the manipulation of Renard, and the setup with the torture chair, I think Fleming would have been fascinated with the whole idea of the character. Elektra is many things: a petulant child, a murderess, a Venus flytrap, a twisted mind, and (alongside Blofeld himself) the only villain to succeed in crippling Bond where it matters most—his heart.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    17th in my list. It would be a good thing to have another female main villain in the near future. Marceau was a good choice. Love her final scenes with Bond in Turkey (torture, murder of Zukovsky and her own death). Not all scenes are that great (TWINE isn't exciting enough and the moment in the avalanche feels a bit like over-acting to me).
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Gothenburg, Sweden
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,334
    I remember falling in love with her when I saw TWINE at the age of 12. Still to this day I think Sophie Marceau as Elektra is one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever seen on film.

The character is very interesting and has so much potential but the script and directing is a mess. A total missed opportunity, and so is a lot with TWINE. It’s a shame really.
    To liven up your Monday, I present our number 15:

LOUIS JOURDAN
    as Prince Kamal Khan
    in OCTOPUSSY

b0e8RP.jpg

Kamal received one 4th, one 5th, one 6th, one 8th, one 9th and one 10th place. In addition to his six top 10’s, seven more top 15’s were realised.

No bottom 5’s for this exiled prince, his lowest rankings were two 22nd spots.

Kamal Khan ended up with 115 points in total.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Surprisingly, for me, I was the one who had him in 5th. I've always admired his villain, the way he's able to play all sides and keep his cool while having some sinister backstabbing and plotting going on simultaneously. Then again, OP is one cool film and it's always assisted by his very solid performance.
  • I had him at 19. Like most of my lower-ranked villains I just don’t find him very threatening or larger than life enough to be a very good Bond villain. He’s not bad though and has some quite enjoyable scenes. He fits the more laid back vibe of Octopussy well at least.
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Gothenburg, Sweden
    Very surprised to see Kamal knocked out already. I was the guy who had him at #4, for me he’s a top tier villain, Jourdan is just excellent in the role, checks every box that makes a good villain. I thought that was a common opinion.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Octopussy is a top five movie for me, but I had Khan at number 21. I think he's too panto (in my view, he's the SECOND most over-the-top villain in the film), and his role in the plot is weird. Isn't he just a middleman?
    No. 10 for me. Yes, just squeezed in. Really enjoy Jordans performance. He delivers every line with glee and menace. A good foil for Rogers Bond.
    And who can resist the way he says "Octopusssssy!"?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    He just cracked my top 10 as well. What a memorable performance. He's arrogant, a bit eccentric, and completely sadistic and vile. And a charmer to boot. He's trying to play all sides against each other in order to further his own interests. What more can you ask for?