Quick Big Mi6 Main Villain Ranking Game

Comments

• R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    #3 for me. I love everything about Pleasence’s performance and introduction.
    He creeped the hell out of me as a kid and tbh still does to an extent 😅
    The scar, the piercing stare, the voice, not to mention how he strokes his cat… perfection!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He came in at #6 for me. Not particularly threatening or imposing but I love Pleasence as an actor and always thought his take on Blofeld was rather unique and sinisterly proud. He's one of two Blofelds to make my Top 10.
  • I agree on the points about this Blofeld being a sinister little man (who may have a fleeting sexual appetite for Bond). But his brief iconic presence is a key part of YOLT's fantastical and surreal allure. I'm curious how Savalas' Blofeld would've looked in YOLT - he would've given both a more physical and intellectual challenge to Bond.
  • He came in at 14 for me. He’s creepy and odd and certainly makes for a memorable visual so I like him on that score, but he’s also quite underused within the film and still not really at all what I would like for an on-screen Blofeld. He doesn’t project authority the way the FRWL & Thunderball version of Blofeld does.
    He came in at 15 for me! He was a last minute casting I believe, when actor Jan Werich fell ill!
    Its unfortunate that now, after Austin Powers, its hard to take him seriously in the role! But Pleasence is impressive, and has a great first appearance, pushing an aide to one side to reveal that scarred mug of his!
  • I thought Jan was recast because Lewis Gilbert didn’t think he was working for the movie and looked too much like Santa Clause? Which is a bit ironic because I believe Peter Hunt tried to cut out as much of Pleasance’s Blofeld where he was seen in wide shots or in motion because he thought he looked ridiculous too.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I thought Jan was recast because Lewis Gilbert didn’t think he was working for the movie and looked too much like Santa Clause? Which is a bit ironic because I believe Peter Hunt tried to cut out as much of Pleasance’s Blofeld where he was seen in wide shots or in motion because he thought he looked ridiculous too.

I remember the quote from Hunt being, "He minced around."
    I thought Jan was recast because Lewis Gilbert didn’t think he was working for the movie and looked too much like Santa Clause? Which is a bit ironic because I believe Peter Hunt tried to cut out as much of Pleasance’s Blofeld where he was seen in wide shots or in motion because he thought he looked ridiculous too.

Yes, i heard that story too, about Jan! I was going by Raymond Bensons book 'The James Bond Bedside Companion' which states he became ill before shooting started!
  • I’m a bit surprised they didn’t consider (or maybe they did!) Peter Cushing, considering he was also from the Hammer stable and I think would have made a more fitting Blofeld.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I’m a bit surprised they didn’t consider (or maybe they did!) Peter Cushing, considering he was also from the Hammer stable and I think would have made a more fitting Blofeld.

A much better choice.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited September 2021 Posts: 7,314
    I had him in the 8th spot. As I said in defense of the DAF Blofeld, I think he works very well in the film he's in. I'm not quite sure what he's going to do once nuclear winter hits, but it's terrifying that he can't wait for it to happen. He's an absolute psychopath.

Also, not being a physical threat to Bond was never a deal breaker for me, but I know it's very important to some fans. To each their own. Unfortunately, more people probably recognize Dr. Evil than the character he's based on and I know that grates on fans as well. Craig's comment that "Austin Powers fucked us" was right on the money.

Despite all that I still love this version of Blofeld. That moment where he finally reveals himself to Bond is so powerful to me still, after all this time. You wonder the whole time how he got that scar. It was a big mistake for Spectre to try to explain it in my opinion. Some (perhaps even most) things are better left to the imagination.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's a funny feeling to see what is arguably the most iconic Blofeld depart now, with the likes of Zorin and Drax still in the running. Interesting. :)
    Zorin is a Top 3 for me. If there's one person having the most fun in the shoes of a Bond villain, it's Walken. Then again, I really, really enjoy AVTAK so there's a lot of bias in that sentiment, I'm sure.
    Zorin is fantastic. Walken absolutely killed it. AVTAK has risen remarkably in my ranking over time and he’s a big reason why.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Number 16 for me. His reveal is solid, the scar is good. But nothing memorable follows. He is better in his earlier faceless scenes.
    How long does he want to point the weapon in Bond's direction before shooting? He definitely likes Bond and doesn't want to kill him.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I had Pleasence’s Blofeld at #3.

When you think about it, he doesn’t have that much screen time in YOLT, and (IMO) his most menacing moments occur before his big reveal (“…extortion is my business…”/”…I will be in my apartment, I may send for you later…”). Those scenes, set to John Barry’s score are great, After the reveal, his moments are less so, but still iconic.

Plus, where would Mike Myers and the “Austin Powers” movies be without this version of Blofeld? Or even the old “Inspector Gadget” cartoon series and films?
    Ropn_rJLtW2l.jpg
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It's a funny feeling to see what is arguably the most iconic Blofeld depart now, with the likes of Zorin and Drax still in the running. Interesting. :)

Oh Zorin and Drax are much more appealing villains. A lot more interesting than Blofeld!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Zorin is a Top 3 for me. If there's one person having the most fun in the shoes of a Bond villain, it's Walken. Then again, I really, really enjoy AVTAK so there's a lot of bias in that sentiment, I'm sure.

Walken in the shoes of a Bond villain. Nice pun.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    As we get closer to our top 10, let’s first have a look at our number 12:

YAPHET KOTTO
    as Dr. Ross Kananga (aka Mr. Big)
    in LIVE AND LET DIE

EwlnDk8WUAIxicF.jpg

Kananga’s best rating was one 2nd place. He also obtained two 5th places, two eight places and three 9th places.

11th was his most frequent placement, on four occasions.

Our “American gangster”/“small island diplomat crossover” received only one bottom 5: a single 25th place.

In total Dr. Kananga was awarded 135 points.

• “Names is for tombstones, baby!”

I was one of the #5 votes for Kananga. Yaphet Kotto was such a gifted actor, and his ability to radiate quiet menace, engage Bond in “polite” conversation, and have scary outbursts makes him one of my favorite villains. Sure the Mr. Big fakeout was a convoluted way to tip the hat to the novel, and his death scene is an ignominious end, but for a film that is absolutely loaded with a memorable villain ensemble, Kananga never has his spotlight stolen.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He was my ninth... I love Yaphet's intensity... When he speaks quietly, it's as menacing as when he erupts with anger. A fantastic performance.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yaphet rocks as Kananga. He's truly menacing. Too bad he had to go out with a bang... of sorts.
    Kananga was my 12th place choice as well. He's very intense and does a wonderful job at fooling everyone in the beginning, before Bond starts to slowly unravel his plans and realize the full picture. The mixture of voodoo and alligator farms and political intrigue is another great touch too. Plus, Yaphet's just a great actor in general.
  • Strange, I've had YOLT Blofeld at #13 and Kananga at #12 as well, this ranking game as been real close to mine this time. Yaphet Kotto is one of the best parts of Live and Let Die, his performance is not too over the top, well until he gets inflated.
    No 21 for me. His double-identity is pretty cringy, and so much idiotic dialogue.
    For instance, when he asks Solitaire a yes/no question and she wrongfully answers "yes", he later reveals that she was "not even close!"
  • No 21 for me. His double-identity is pretty cringy, and so much idiotic dialogue.
    For instance, when he asks Solitaire a yes/no question and she wrongfully answers "yes", he later reveals that she was "not even close!"

I thought he meant the numbers on the watch weren't' even close.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited September 2021 Posts: 7,314
    I had him in the 9th spot. Love everything about him. I mean sure, the alter ego thing is silly, but it certainly doesn't diminish this amazing performance in the slightest.
    No 21 for me. His double-identity is pretty cringy, and so much idiotic dialogue.

I thought he meant the numbers on the watch weren't' even close.

He says "You had a 50/50 chance. You weren t even close." Not "I wasn t even close". It is clumsily written, whatever the intention was.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I had him at #20. Some great moments, but not enough carry through. Where was that guy who became so believably enraged at Solitaire when we get to the climax? Also, fair or not, the portrayal pales next to Fleming's original (not the first or last time). At this point my Top Ten is still intact.

With only eleven villains left, that’s good going!
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,690
    I had Kananga at #2. Love him. His cool, calm public demeanor as Dr Kananga, his wonderful lines as Mr Big. And although it's way too brief, he looks fantastic in the knife fight.

I think he's great in the climax. I love watching the crazy villains finally lose their cool, and Yaphet Kotto does it in a wonderful way. He has this delirious, deluded aura about him as he pretends he's actually winning somehow.

As usual, I'm off the consensus, but I did predict he would end up right in this position! I couldn't see him beating the next eleven. So he did as well as I could have hoped!