Quick Big Mi6 Music Score Ranking Game

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Since I love the 80's, and, being a synth-enthusiast, certainly from a musical point of view; being a product of the 80's is something I usually quite like.

9 out of 10 times I'd be the same (my vinyl of Tangerine Dream's score for Thief is in severe danger of combusting if I play it any more than I do!). But something about that style in a Bond film just didn't click with me.

Still though, as with almost all of the scores, there are highlights that would make fine additions to any compilation album. I'd say it's probably a great Conti score, even if I don't find it a great Bond score.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 6,844
    FYEO does have some excellent stuff. "Runaway" is a rousing powerhouse action track, "Submarine" is just plain groovy, and "Run...Shoot...Jump" is full of all kinds of cool atonal sounds. I even like the energy and the beats behind "A Drive in the Country." The main theme is put to excellent instrumental use as well. But at times the zaniness is a bit much and ultimately you can't help but think of the wonders Barry might have done with this film. The same goes for TSWLM for me and I have that one ranked far below FYEO, but I have the feeling that's not the case for too many others.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Probably my favorite scene in the film, and my favorite track (aside from LOOK OF LOVE, I guess). I would have loved to see a serious attempt at such a grandiose, Cecil B DeMille style Bond adventure film made in the fifties.

The dance scene is beautifully shot and staged, and the music is downright excellent. My favorite scene of the movie.

My favorite part of the film as well, along with the rest of the Berlin segment that follows. If the whole film had been of the same quality, my thoughts on CR67 would be very different.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FYEO came in at #21 for me. Not one of my favorites but it does have a few select highlights for me that are really outstanding. I love that film as a whole quite a lot still.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited July 2021 Posts: 7,314
    Wow, this is a travesty. I had it at 14th. There are a few weak moments here and there but the stronger material outweighs it by far. The whole Cortina section is my favorite part of the film and the music is a big part of that. Like a few select others have mentioned, I actually believe the music fits the film well, for the most part. I'm afraid to see what's next.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm genuinely quite surprised that this has gone out ahead of GE, considering the latter's reputation.
  • I'm genuinely quite surprised that this has gone out ahead of GE, considering the latter's reputation.

GE tends to get justifiably ragged on for some of Serra's quirkier and more experimental cues (most notably "Ladies First" in the film and for a few others that very fortunately didn't make the cut, "A Pleasant Drive in St. Petersburg" chief among them). But the better parts of GE, which form the bulk of the score ("The GoldenEye Overture," "Run, Shoot, and Jump," "Whispering Statues," "We Share the Same Passions," Bond's arrival in St. Petersburg, the destruction of the Tiger, John Altman's score for the tank chase), are really quite outstanding. As a whole, it's a score that's stronger than its reputation, and while there are "off" moments, Serra came up with an incredibly new and fresh sound for Bond and the perfect sound for GE—eerily industrial echoes, those electronic wah-wah-wahhhs, and who would have thought the Bond theme would work so well on timpani? GE actually narrowly missed my top 10. I do think it will turn up relatively soon in this ranking, but as I mentioned earlier the score does have its fans.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I'd say it's probably a great Conti score, even if I don't find it a great Bond score.
    I find Conti to be a very lively composer. There is great energy and passion in his music, not just in FYEO but in other scores as well.

"Run...Shoot...Jump" is full of all kinds of cool atonal sounds.
    For my money, one of the best and most inventive cues in the score, and perhaps in any Bond film. I love the piano chords that accompany the camera shot that introduces the ski ramp. And the later piano/synth part that scores the ski jump itself (well, both jumps). I believe I've said this before elsewhere, but the mood it conveys is really interesting and unique-- I can't quite find the words to describe it. It's a signature moment of the score for me.

But at times the zaniness is a bit much and ultimately you can't help but think of the wonders Barry might have done with this film.
    It would have been another cracking score, I'm sure. Barry being so good at conveying melancholia through his music, he would've zeroed in on Melina's loss of her parents particularly well.

In terms of zaniness --or whatever we might call a deviation from the expected "Bond sound"-- I do draw a line between Conti's music style and, say, Michel Legrand's. They both step away from the Barry template of Bond music (as anyone who isn't him understandably does to some extent), but Conti gets it right, in part because he serves the onscreen action correctly. He creates excitement and drama, though admittedly in a markedly different flavor from Barry. I keep coming back to that bike chase music in NSNA and thinking about how it doesn't work for me compared to Conti's work.

Anyway, I suspect most people's dissatisfaction from the FYEO score stems more from the action music than the low-key moments.

The same goes for TSWLM for me and I have that one ranked far below FYEO, but I have the feeling that's not the case for too many others.
    Stylistically, do you think that FYEO is closer to the musical template laid out by Barry? I must say even with the disco synths of TSWLM, I feel its action scoring has a more quintessentially Bondian sound. But Conti, while further away from that sound than Hamlisch, wins me over because he beats Hamlisch in terms of sheer energy and excitement, and as I said before, Conti doesn't cross the line into Legrand territory.

So I prefer FYEO to TSWLM as well.

pachazo wrote: »
    I'm afraid to see what's next.
    For me, there's so much good Bond music that even a low-ranking score can hold great value.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    "Run...Shoot...Jump" is full of all kinds of cool atonal sounds.
    For my money, one of the best and most inventive cues in the score, and perhaps in any Bond film. I love the piano chords that accompany the camera shot that introduces the ski ramp. And the later piano/synth part that scores the ski jump itself (well, both jumps). I believe I've said this before elsewhere, but the mood it conveys is really interesting and unique-- I can't quite find the words to describe it. It's a signature moment of the score for me.

Oh absolutely. Those first three I mentioned ("Runaway," "Submarine," and "Ski...Shoot...Jump") are not only my favorites from FYEO but three of my favorites from the series as a whole. But while I love "Runaway" for its energy and its wildly swinging notes of danger and triumph and "Submarine" for its brazen grooves, my love for "Ski...Shoot...Jump" is more difficult to put into words. As you say, it's an incredibly unique bit of music. It goes on for a good five minutes and covers a great deal of musical territory within that time. I have no idea how Conti landed on that particular sound as it really is so very different from any other part of the score, but it's absolutely perfect for the scene it accompanies.
    The same goes for TSWLM for me and I have that one ranked far below FYEO, but I have the feeling that's not the case for too many others.
    Stylistically, do you think that FYEO is closer to the musical template laid out by Barry? I must say even with the disco synths of TSWLM, I feel its action scoring has a more quintessentially Bondian sound. But Conti, while further away from that sound than Hamlisch, wins me over because he beats Hamlisch in terms of sheer energy and excitement, and as I said before, Conti doesn't cross the line into Legrand territory.

So I prefer FYEO to TSWLM as well.

That's a good question. I don't think either one is particularly close to Barry's style. With the exception of "Ice Chase" in The Living Daylights, Barry kept his action music more melodic and more theme-driven in contrast to Hamlisch's "You Should Be Dancing"—sorry, "Bond '77"—or Conti's disco, synth, and cowbell fueled tracks. Both FYEO and TSWLM feature lush, sweeping variations on the main theme, which is a very Barry thing, but unlike Barry's orchestrations, I can think of instances in both FYEO and TSWLM where the love themes turn a bit schmaltzy or go over-the-top (Bond and Anya on the train, for instance). I think a comparison could be drawn between the thundering tanker music in TSWLM and the ominous grandeur of Barry's "Capsule in Space," but again it's a question of subtlety. The tanker music has always struck me as more fitting for a Godzilla film.

Stylistically, I do think Hamlisch was closer to Barry than Conti. But as remarkable and as perfect as Barry's scores were, I don't think they should be regarded as a template for other Bond composers to emulate. Comparisons can be made between Arnold's romantic cues and the Barry sound—Barry of course was a tremendous influence upon Arnold, and if you look at his earliest works (Last of the Dogmen, Stargate) you'll see much more of the Barry influence there than in his Bonds—but apart from Arnold's love themes, I really don't see much similarity at all between him and Barry. And I don't think composers do need to sound like Barry or to follow the template found in his scores. I love seeing innovation in the sound of Bond. Bring on more in the mold of Martin or Serra or Kamen or even Newman and the unique musical identity he brought to Skyfall. Hopefully Zimmer will join that list of innovators soon enough.

pachazo wrote: »
    I'm afraid to see what's next.
    For me, there's so much good Bond music that even a low-ranking score can hold great value.

Yes, indeed. There are moments to enjoy in all of them. We have been spoiled to not only have so many fantastic scores but to also have a great variety of composers and styles to boot. It's all a matter of preference and that's what makes this so fun. Agreed with your points on FYEO as well. A truly underrated score it would seem.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This thread is generating a lot of awesome activity! I'm loving this.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    That's a good question. I don't think either one is particularly close to Barry's style. With the exception of "Ice Chase" in The Living Daylights, Barry kept his action music more melodic and more theme-driven in contrast to Hamlisch's "You Should Be Dancing"—sorry, "Bond '77"—or Conti's disco, synth, and cowbell fueled tracks.
    I find Bond 77 --as used in the film, not counting the sax solo from the album version and things like that-- more serious in tone than Conti's action music. A bit more sinister and dangerous. In that sense I think it's closer to Barry.

I think a comparison could be drawn between the thundering tanker music in TSWLM and the ominous grandeur of Barry's "Capsule in Space," but again it's a question of subtlety. The tanker music has always struck me as more fitting for a Godzilla film.
    I like The Tanker, but it's no match for Capsule, that's for sure. It's epic in scale but has less dramatic power. It's a bit more shallow.

But as remarkable and as perfect as Barry's scores were, I don't think they should be regarded as a template for other Bond composers to emulate. Comparisons can be made between Arnold's romantic cues and the Barry sound—Barry of course was a tremendous influence upon Arnold, and if you look at his earliest works (Last of the Dogmen, Stargate) you'll see much more of the Barry influence there than in his Bonds—but apart from Arnold's love themes, I really don't see much similarity at all between him and Barry. And I don't think composers do need to sound like Barry or to follow the template found in his scores. I love seeing innovation in the sound of Bond. Bring on more in the mold of Martin or Serra or Kamen or even Newman and the unique musical identity he brought to Skyfall. Hopefully Zimmer will join that list of innovators soon enough.
    Considering something like Eric Serra's GoldenEye was, in my view, a musical success and fitting for the film, there is certainly room for innovation. Though I'll always have a soft spot for a Barryesque score. I like Barry's unwavering emphasis on melody, not only in his Bond scores but elsewhere too. And his music style is so associated with Bond, to the point of forming the basis for musical parodies, that it's interesting to use it as a reference point and analyze how the other composers stick to it or deviate from it, with varying results.

I agree about David Arnold. He is an example of a composer who incorporates some of Barry's signature touches, but can have a fairly different style beyond that. His approach to action scoring is completely different. I think even some of his love themes aren't too Barryesque. City of Lovers, the ski music in TWINE and the music in the last scene of DAD are among the closest to his style. But the love themes of TND and TWINE I find quite different-- lovely in their way, especially the latter, but different. And that's fine. And QoS is an even more substantial departure music-wise.

I'm excited about Zimmer not because I'm a big fan of the guy --though I enjoy some of his scores-- but because I haven't heard a single note of music of the new film; I don't even know if there's anything out there. So I'm looking forward to finding out what he came up with when I watch the film, and not before. Music right along the images for maximum impact.
  • Bill Conti's score is serviceable for FYEO. It's just not one of the great Bond scores. Following Barry's Moonraker is also very difficult, as that one is one of his best efforts.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,469
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I love this score. I was the one who gave it the bronze medal. It is my second most revisited score of the franchise.
    I'm with you on this. I have it at #6, and I think Conti's music is totally perfect for the film. I don't see it as full-on disco and so don't turn up a nose at it in that way, though yes there are dance and funk styles using synths and lots of brass, yet strings too. It came out in 1981; music styles were changing; disco was going into New Wave and dance rock. So this is one reason why I give Conti a pass on this. I think what he did goes with the film, as opposed to something more orchestral.

When FYEO came out in the theaters, it was the first Bond film that made me a real Bond fan. When the ski and bobsled chase started and Runaway kicked in, I was hooked! Seeing Bond on skis on a bobsled track was pretty exciting and suspenseful: "how's he going to get out of this?" Another track I absolutely love is Cortina, where we hear kind of an ode to nature as Bond drives up, and then it changes as the spy goes out on the balcony to survey the scene with the mountains in the background, and again when he goes back in to get the message on the mirror. And Conti nicely adds Greek accents here and there, like in Unfinished Business. Another reason why I rank this higher than a lot of other Bond scores is that, to me, Conti's is much more memorable.

Listening to a few more tracks: to my mind, I daresay Sinking the St. Georges, The Climb and Goodbye Countess sound much like Barry might've done them.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm thinking maybe GE is coming next?
  • I think GE is coming next as well
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    As you all anticipated, falling just outside the top 20, but also avoiding a bottom 5 finish is:

GOLDENEYE
    Music composed by
    ÉRIC SERRA

eric-serra-goldeneye-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2-cd.jpg

Nine bottom 5's were noted, out of which two 25th places were GE's worst ratings. Three more members placed it outside the top 20.

Despite all that, there are also those who like/love Serra's electronic sound. One gold medal, one 6th place, one 10th place, two 11th places, one 12th place and one 14th place were awarded to it, giving it seven top 15 notifications.

The original music for GE ended up with 86 points.

On a sidenote, apparently Éric Serra was awarded a BMI Film Award for this film's soundtrack.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Another one that has some brilliant moments, but overall it is just annoying. Much like the film itself.
  • I had the GE score at #20, not as bad as some people say I think, but it's not overly-impressive.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Unlike FYEO, this score isn't particularly good in isolation, but it serves the film well. The electronics in the music match the heavy use of computer tech in the film. Serra can compose good music for sure, but a Bond composer, he ain't. Still, some moments in the score are brilliant.

What matters most to me is that GE is one of my favourite Bond films and the score doesn't take away any of the joy I'm having with Pierce's best. In fact, this is perhaps the only Bond film that I think, somewhat controversially, couldn't have been scored by John Barry.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Serra's score is my #11. It's not a score to listen to without the movie. Too minimalstic and some odd pieces However, the created atmosphere (especially in the PTS) is perfect imo. Another (of many) moment(s) I love is the music during the archives action.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Éric Serra is my favourite film composer, I've got all of his Luc Besson scores, making it the second most represented 'series' after Bond in my soundtrack collection.

Adore the man's sound. So obviously putting my favourite composer's sound in a 007 jacket, would turn out to be my favourite score. GE was the first album I bought and has remained my favourite ever since.

I'm also convinced GE would not have been such a good film with more traditional music, since it's already somewhat of a boxticker, which would have made it a bit pastiche.

Obviously GE's 1st place was my doing. With FYEO in 3rd, I'm clearly a fan of the non-traditional scores, even though I love the Barry ones as well. Variety is the spice of life, as they say.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    One of the issues I have with Serra's score is that it share to similar cues to that of the excellent Luc Besson film, Leon. Which was Serra's previous work before GE.
    It's also, just not an enjoyable score for me. Which is why it comes in it 22 for me.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    The GE PTS is one of my favourite scenes of all movies I know. The PTS music is an important part of it. Also the gunbarrel music is perfect.
  • The GE PTS is one of my favourite scenes of all movies I know. The PTS music is an important part of it. Also the gunbarrel music is perfect.

yes, I think The Antenna was a strong track too, along with the opening gunbarrel and PTS. Apart from that, it's largely forgettable.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm also surprised GE didn't exit even sooner. It came in at 17th for me, despite my obsessive love for the film as a whole. It has a few highlights, some moments that really click and work for me, but others that just as easily fall flat or aren't remotely fitting (like that techno-porn music playing during the Bond and Xenia car chase). One of the best moments of the film, the tank chase, isn't even Serra's handiwork, sadly. The PTS is a major highlight, though, as are some cues in the finale that work damn well. Too many weak moments take away from the bigger highlights for me.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I think Goldeneye is second worst of the lot. Dr No is of course rock bottom.

I actually like all the music here that has the typical GE sound of timpani and chanting and industrial sounds. That's all fantastic. Like Pierce Brosnan himself, this score is frequently brilliant, but also often forgets what kind of movie it's in and leans hard into mawkish melodrama. Everything Serra did with strings is crap. The Severnaya Suite, We Share the Same Passions...no idea what he was thinking there. I've never seen Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor, but this music sounds like what I'd expect from something like that.

Love The Goldeneye Overture though, and most of the other rhythmic stuff. I don't even mind Ladies First.

Interesting to note that my two least favorites, this and DN, are the only known cases of the filmmakers intervening in what they knew to be a bad score.
    Interesting to note that my two least favorites, this and DN, are the only known cases of the filmmakers intervening in what they knew to be a bad score.

Irvin Kershner with NSNA would be the third. Legrand was not his choice of composer and he ended up shuffling music around where it doesn't belong.
    I had it in 16th place, so another underrated entry for me. There are a couple of weak tracks but overall (like many of you already said) the music fits the film very well. In my opinion, it's good to have some non traditional scores thrown in amongst the lot. I do believe they made the right choice to change the tank chase to a more traditional sound, however. But I don't have many complaints otherwise. I'm starting to see that there's a certain composer that you all probably hold in higher regard than me, but I will save my comments for that when the time comes.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 2,400
    Benny wrote: »
    One of the issues I have with Serra's score is that it share to similar cues to that of the excellent Luc Besson film, Leon. Which was Serra's previous work before GE.

Actually, some of GE's tracks are Leon cues that were unused.

Honestly, I was expecting at least a spot or two lower for this, so as one of its (albeit slightly more reluctant nowadays) defenders, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that it lasted this long. It seems like the reception to it is becoming fairer over time (this score used to get TRASHED by the community).

I had it at #10, although it was RIGHT before my GoldenEye rewatch and... yeah, I'd probably put it around #12 or #13 now. I evaluate these scores primarily based on what's in the film itself, so I don't really count Serra's tank chase against it that much, though it's certainly a weak piece and docks a point or two from it, though those points are more than regained by Altman's replacement. "Ladies First" is endlessly mocked for good reason and EASILY the worst piece of music here (and pretty low ranking among the series as a whole, though not QUITE a bottom feeder as I'd even put a few of the main theme songs below it, nevermind some embarrassing musical cues from other entries). It's not even that the piece itself is badly arranged or anything, I think it's actually "performed" well (I'm pretty sure everything in it is just a synth except for the Primus-esque guitar), it's just wildly out of place in a Bond film. I mean, it'd maybe get a pass in The Man with the Golden Gun or something.

But a piece I never really had an issue with before or even paid much attention to stood out to me as also being pretty weak, although it's mercifully short. I don't think it's even on the score's album. It's when Bond is swimming in his hotel or whatever in St. Petersburg and Xenia walks past him, right to when he throws her into the sauna. It's got this weird, modal fretless bass line and just sounds so quirky and out of place. I know Serra likes to use fretless bass and likes to move in and out of the scale like that, and usually it works to great effect, but it's just such a weird line and essentially the "melody" of the piece. It hampered my experience with the score and, to an extent, the film this time around.

Still, this has some exceptional work in it which I think got unfairly overlooked in the past by the score's naysayers rather than being evaluated in a balanced way. "The GoldenEye Overture" is one of the best pieces in the entire series. "The Severnaya Suite" is unendingly gorgeous, and the way it plays in the film is really powerful. The timing of its climax with Natalya successfully escaping the dish is cathartic even after dozens of viewings of the film. "Run, Shoot, and Jump" is also one of the better action cues in the series. I love the off time of its string melody. I also think this has got to have one of the five or six best gunbarrel musical cues, if not even closer to the top than that. I also adore the little piece that plays as Bond arrives in Russia and meets Jack Wade, which I also can't find on the soundtrack. It's very short, but it just feels SO Bond. It's a wonderful update of the kind of incidental piece Barry would create once he got out of the habit of using the Bond theme itself for scene transitions.

The theme song is gorgeous, although it's a little slow and, because the intro is truncated in the movie, there's a little less buildup and then once those horns explode, the song has almost already peaked. It only really goes bigger during the bridge, and then sort of just continues on until it plays out. Tina Turner does a great job (when doesn't she?) and honestly I'm really glad that U2 didn't just perform it themselves as I think she suits it far better than Bono. I mean this woman was nearly 60 and performs the song like she's in her 30s. She's a treasure. I just don't find myself going for this theme song very often when I want to hear a Bond song, and as a result it ranks just about dead center for me, I think.

I also love how the trailer music (which is an iconic piece of Bond music despite never being used in a film) is apparently on the soundtrack? I don't own a physical copy of this one, but it is in the tracklist on YouTube. It's a kickass piece of music and rightly beloved by Bond fans and also reused in a bunch of other marketing (I don't think any of us here can hear the opening string swell and not hear "through the power of a breakthrough digital process..." in our heads).

Overall, I'm more mixed on this one than I was before (in the past this would've been threatening top 5 territory for me), but I still consider myself a fan of it and I welcome the (moderate) reappraisal it's gotten from the fandom at large.

P.S. Oh, yeah, I forgot... I think The Experience of Love is great! Really stupid decision to put anything other than the Bond theme over the end credits after more than a half decade of no Bond films (although now after four films in a row of the SAME recording of the Bond theme over the end credits, I'm on the verge of wanting the opposite for NTtD), but it's a beautiful song.
  • pachazo wrote: »
    I'm starting to see that there's a certain composer that you all probably hold in higher regard than me, but I will save my comments for that when the time comes.

Not a Barry fan, eh? ;)