Quick Big Mi6 Music Score Ranking Game

Comments

• Birdleson wrote: »
    I rate DAD fairly high. I particularly like the chase music.

I’ll remark more on DAD when we get there (there’s a lot of variety in that score and simply a lot of music period—perhaps more than any other Bond film?), but Arnold’s heroic action theme found in “Jinx, James & Genes” and in “Whiteout” is one of the coolest things I’ve heard from him.
    Birdleson wrote: »

I’ll remark more on DAD when we get there (there’s a lot of variety in that score and simply a lot of music period—perhaps more than any other Bond film?), but Arnold’s heroic action theme found in “Jinx, James & Genes” and in “Whiteout” is one of the coolest things I’ve heard from him.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, then that's a cool theme... I think that's I Will Return? Also from Peaceful Fountains of Desire?

You mention Jinx, James & Genes. You know, I love the part at 3:10 that scores Jinx chasing Zao, gun in hand. I love it! Especially the fact the first bar is 7/4; throws me off-kilter rhythmically, in a good way.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »

If I'm understanding you correctly, then that's a cool theme... I think that's I Will Return? Also from Peaceful Fountains of Desire?

You mention Jinx, James & Genes. You know, I love the part at 3:10 that scores Jinx chasing Zao, gun in hand. I love it! Especially the fact the first bar is 7/4; throws me off-kilter rhythmically, in a good way.

You know, I never had realized before now that that action theme is in fact the same as the romantic theme heard in “Peaceful Fountains” and elsewhere. That’s pretty cool. It really sounds very different when played as a softer, romantic melody versus as a heroic, propulsive action theme. But yes, that’s the one I’m referring to. And I also love the sound that plays at 3:10 in that track.

Hopefully all this discussion of DAD doesn’t mean it’s up next!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited July 2021 Posts: 6,791
    As predicted by some of you, our number 18 is:

DIE ANOTHER DAY
    Music composed by
    DAVID ARNOLD

die-another-day-soundtrack-germany-enhanced-cd-album-[2]-14956-p.jpg?v=1

Five bottom 5's were noted, three of those were a 24th spot, which was its lowest ranking. Another four members ranked it 21st.

On a more positive note, DAD collected one 5th and three 8th spots, as well as an 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and two 15th places.

In total the original music for DAD received 93 points. The last of the bunch that remained under the 100-points mark.

David Arnold received a BMI Film Music Award for his DAD score.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I ranked it as number 18, too. I love it when Bond arrives in Cuba.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I echo those sentiments, @Birdleson. Then again, I suppose the competition in this game is fairly tough. To be frank, I can't think of too many scores that deserve to go sooner. Honestly, it's the first of these games in which DAD wasn't kicked out in the first couple of rounds. That counts for something, I suppose. ;-)
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I think it was my number eight too. After Quantum, it's easily my favorite Arnold score.
  • GoldenGun wrote: »
    As predicted by some of you, our number 18 is:

DIE ANOTHER DAY
    Music composed by
    DAVID ARNOLD

die-another-day-soundtrack-germany-enhanced-cd-album-[2]-14956-p.jpg?v=1

Five bottom 5's were noted, three of those were a 24th spot, which was its lowest ranking. Another four members ranked it 21st.

On a more positive note, DAD collected one 5th and three 8th spots, as well as an 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and two 15th places.

In total the original music for DAD received 93 points. The last of the bunch that remained under the 100-points mark.

David Arnold received a BMI Film Music Award for his DAD score.

NO! I had DAD at #5. I love the score in Havana, Welcome to Iceland, Ice Chase, Hovercraft Chase and so much more. Gutted!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, that's a real shame to see, I had it at 11th and it could've easily made my Top 10 with some more shifting. It's my second favorite score of Arnold's in the series. From the opening tracks to the final moments, the film is made even more explosive with his music. Those Cuba scenes are excellent and the opening track as Bond and his allies surf in is pure gold, wonderfully setting the stage for what's to come.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 6,746
    You know, I never had realized before now that that action theme is in fact the same as the romantic theme heard in “Peaceful Fountains” and elsewhere. That’s pretty cool. It really sounds very different when played as a softer, romantic melody versus as a heroic, propulsive action theme. But yes, that’s the one I’m referring to.
    A bit like TMWTGG isn't it? Doubles as love theme and action theme.

Hopefully all this discussion of DAD doesn’t mean it’s up next!
    Well... I think we just Jinxed DAD.

I was just listening to Iced Inc. I like it. This is a more synth-heavy score than the previous two, but it goes well with the high-tech vibe of the film and the ice motif.

I share the appreciation for the Cuba music, too.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Had it at 24th. I think Welcome to Cuba is fantastic though. I'm thinking TSWLM might be next. I've been pleasantly surprised by how long it's lasted.
    I've always been somewhat cold to this score, but Welcome to Cuba and Going Down Together are gems.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    You know, I never had realized before now that that action theme is in fact the same as the romantic theme heard in “Peaceful Fountains” and elsewhere. That’s pretty cool. It really sounds very different when played as a softer, romantic melody versus as a heroic, propulsive action theme. But yes, that’s the one I’m referring to.
    A bit like TMWTGG isn't it? Doubles as love theme and action theme.

Yes, that's a good comparison. There are a few other themes in the series that function in similar ways. "Goldfinger" plays more softly and more playfully during "Alpine Drive" and more brashly in "Oddjob's Pressing Engagement." "Live and Let Die" plays more softly and more playfully in "The Lovers" and more aggressively in "Bond and Rosie."
    Speaking of... how the hell is TMWTGG not gone yet?
    TMWTGG didn't rank as low as some of the others did for me but it's still one of my least favorite of the series.
    Number 17:

LICENCE TO KILL
    Music composed by
    MICHAEL KAMEN

71R8f%2BlDaEL._SL1500_.jpg

Only four bottom 5's for Kamen's sole Bond outing, out of which one 24th place was the lowest ranking.

On the other side of the spectrum, three 7th places, two 9th places, one 12th place, two 13th places and two 14th places were noted.

The original music of LTK crosses the 100-points mark only just as it managed to secure 101 points in total.
    I'm a big fan of the late Kamen - he passed way too soon and his score for Brazil is one of my all time favorites - but LTK is one of the weakest scores in the series for me, coming in at 23rd.

Having said that, when it's on, it's on. The instruments swooning in 'James and Felix On Their Way To Church' as the two parachute to the latter's wedding is a fantastic moment.
  • I had LTK at #14, but I now wish I had put it a bit higher. The music for the tanker chase works so well with the scene and it was so well-integrated throughout the movie. Another underrated one in my opinion.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I like it, and this is exactly where I ranked it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I've always liked this score. Kamen brought a lot of his signature "sounds" into this score, the kind of musical flavours that run through the Die Hard and Lethal Weapon scores. I find his music very complementary to the film.
    I like this score, it suits the film well and it has a unique sound to it. Love the Latin American vibes.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I also had it at 18th. It's pretty good. Just wish it didn't sound so much like Die Hard at times.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    #17 is exactly where I had it. There are a couple of bland moments, mainly the quieter cues, but I absolutely adore Kamen's big, muscular action scoring. When the score kicks into life, it is a total blast to listen to.
  • My second favourite non-Barry score, I've got it at #12.
  • As with the previous four entries, I would have had Licence to Kill at least a few places higher. True, a lot of Kamen's score sounded similar to his other action scoring at the time (Lethal Weapon, Die Hard), but it was an appropriate sound for a late 80s action flick and Kamen brought much that was new to Bond as well. The twangy love theme played on Spanish acoustic guitar for Bond and Pam and the spectacular takes on the Bond theme for the Wavekrest escape and tanker chase are certainly highlights, and alongside Brosnan's four and that of OHMSS, Licence to Kill has one of the coolest, most striking gun barrel scores of the series. Kamen tells you from the opening notes that this is going to be a blood-soaked tale of revenge.

I hope this means we're approaching The Spy Who Loved Me or one of Barry's less impressive ones. Both well overdue at this point, IMO.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,398
    I had it in my top ten. I was surprised how much I loved it the las time I watched it. As said by others: Kamen's score suits the movie very good. It's perfect for the more violent and dangerous tone.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited July 2021 Posts: 1,692
    Top ten here too.

Licence to Kill is the only non-Barry score where I don't see how John Barry would have actually done anything better. There are both Barry and non-Barry scores I like a bit more than this one, but Michael Kamen didn't go wrong anywhere with LTK.

He really shows how to use the Bond theme. It's all over the movie, obviously, but it's always done stylistically different to fit with the scene and not be overbearing.
    Time for TSWLM??
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Time for QOS?
    Kamen's score is dark, dangerous and exciting; it complements the film very well.

His use of the Bond theme in the action scenes is fantastic, not to mention varied: it's heard on acoustic guitar, electric guitar, strings, flamboyant brass... you name it. He also uses it to great effect in mysterious moments, such as when Bond is snooping around Krest's warehouse (one of my favorite cues).

Pam is a gorgeous piece of music. So is the one heard when Bond and Felix parachute to the wedding, as @Creasy47 mentioned.

I also love the opening part of the track Ninja, with those quirky percussion sounds.

There are also many quiet, not particularly melodic passages in the LTK score, but they have a palpable sense of danger and mystery that's engrossing. And Kamen's signature use of high strings gives them an elegant quality.

The energy Kamen shows when humming the Bond theme in the Music of James Bond documentary is just what he brings to the LTK score. It's great!

gIEDiYV.gif