Quick Big Mi6 Community Bond girl Ranking Game

Comments

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I had her at 22, which was a surprise even to myself. I know she's iconic, largely because of the name and the film she's in, but Pussy's shallow badassery is undone quite quickly in one of the cringiest scenes in the series. Honor Blackman is great, but this character just doesn't cut it for me.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I prefer the Golden Girl over Pussy Galore, my #15.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited June 2021 Posts: 6,778
    I agree that is the cringiest scene in the series. I find Pussy to be one of the highlights of GF nonetheless. Smart, capable and iconic. Despite that, there are a few others that I like a bit more.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I had Pussy at 13, so pretty close to her actual result. She is iconic, from an iconic Bond film. She starts off strong, but by the end she's become the typical 'oh James' Bond girl. Turned by Bond's charm in the barn.
    I think I have 9 of my ten still to go. Only Kara Milovy has been dumped thus far.
    A couple I'm happy to see make it through, thinking they'd be out of it before now.
    I thought the overall outcome of this game would be quite surprising, and so far it is...to a degree. Bond girls don't seem to fit into the same way of thinking as favourite Bond or best Bond film.
    The world of James Bond can still be a fascinating subject to observe no matter how long you've been a fan. It's quite intriguing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yes, been quite a few surprises for me as well during this, it's certainly interesting to see.
    Today we dive into the top 10 with:

MAUD ADAMS
    as Octopussy
    in OCTOPUSSY

OCTOPUSSYLC1.jpg

Only one bottom 5 finish for Octopussy, a single 24th spot. On one other occasion she failed to make it into the top 20.

A well-liked Bond girl, she received one gold medal, one 4th place, one 5th place and 14 finishes between 6th and 10th, with the highest number of those being five 8th places.

In total Octopussy gathered 160 points.

That's the same amount as Pussy Galore. They also share the same amount of first places but Octopussy had more top 10's to her name, giving her the advantage.
    I've also had a few accurately line up, Octopussy included, as she was my #10. Still, I'm surprised she's ranked over some of the other girls so far, but I do really like her regardless.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sounds about right. Great Maud Adams performance;
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I have her at 20. I don't find her attractive, and her performance is forced and stiff. Doesn't work much for me at all. She does seem to work well with Roger, but that should be a minimum.

Mirrors my thoughts, and I was the one who gave her the no 24 spot. Sorry, Maud.
  • Adams fared much better as Andrea Anders. She does read as quite stiff for some reason in Octopussy, like she's delivering her lines with her teeth closed. An interesting character but far from the most captivating performance. I had her pretty far apart from the likes of Camille and Pussy.
    For me she is an excellent Bond girl. Probably the best chemistry with the main man during the Rog years. Elegant too, sports some fabulous outfits. There is one Rog Bond girl I like better but Octopussy's right up there.
    Octopussy is my number 8. So to make the top ten is okay with me.
    Adams and Moore had some good chemistry, and I simply like her more than those that have gone before.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    By chance I watched the last 15 minutes of Octopussy on TV last night. Man, that film has aged - and not well. The final fight scenes are cringe to the extreme, I dare say that even CR '67 was much better than that.

And how many double-takes can one put into 15 minutes of Bond? I dare someone with access to a digital copy to count them.
    Ladies and gentlemen, our number 9:

CAROLE BOUQUET
    as Melina Havelock
    in FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

tumblr_nk6rjnf8WW1qkcj94o1_1280.jpg

Melina with a surprise showing, turning up at #9. Hardly anyone dislikes her of course, only one bottom 5, a 25th place, and a single 21st place were her worst showings.

On the other hand, three members gave her the top spot. She also collected one 3rd place, one 4th place and one 5th place. Seven more top 10's were noted, featuring no less than four 6th spots.

Melina Havelock received 160 points in total.

Indeed, that's a three-way tie between her, Octopussy and Pussy (that's a peculiar sentence). Her three gold medals gave her the advantage though.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Octopussy was my number 4, I just think she and Roger work so well together, and I find her story intriguing.
    Well, I'm surprised Melina got this far. She's turning around and giving the likes of Pussy and Kara the look of victory. ;-) I like her quite a bit, though.
    I actually have Melina as my number 6. But too make the top 10 as per Octopussy is okay with me.
    I like that her relationship with Bond doesn't happen till after she's got her revenge. I'd have been quite happy if their relationship didn't become sexual. But this was an 80's Bond film, and 007 had to have a Bond girl.
    Still, I enjoy the character of Melina and Carole Bouquet in the part. Sadly it appears her time with Bond wasn't a particularly happy one, and her lack of discussing it would help prove this point.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 4,421
    I've been slacking on responding to this fine thread.

Camille took 12th place in my rankings. All the elements combined with this one. And Olga is one of the most beautiful creatures ever to walk this Earth. Camille is a warning to Bond not to pursue empty vengeance.

Pussy had all three of what I look for in a Bond girl, great performance by Honor, well written character, bags of chemistry with Bond. Yet I only awarded her 13th place. C'est la vie.

Ah, Octopussy, she took 11th place in my rankings. Great chemistry with Sir Rog. Very natural dynamic between the to of them. In fact, I could readily see Rog's Bond hook up with Octopussy after he'd retired.

Really pumped to see Melina grab a top ten. Again, I like the natural progression to the relationship with Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Melina is a very iconic Bond girl, even if the general public perhaps don t remember her name. Much thanks to the crossbow and the evocative poster artwork. Top five for me, even if the film itself has slipped some.
    Oh man, I love Melina. She's a top three Bond girl for me, hitting the #3 spot. She's capable, uniquely beautiful and quite handy throughout the film, which is also one of my more underrated favorites as a whole.
    I love Melina - Roger's best Bond girl, even though the age difference is distracting at times.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 1,689
    I had her at #18. The more time passes, the less impressed I am with her. She has a great look, with the eyes and the hair and the crossbow, but that's it. Her performance is pretty lame.

I think I had her slightly higher, and I wouldn't quite say "lame", but this is pretty much what I think too.

EDIT: Yeah, 17
    You know, this is another case where I'd happily rank a secondary Bond girl much higher. I think Lisl is great, and I even have a soft spot for Bibi Dahl.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 6,844
    That's good to hear Pussy made the top 10 after all. Apart from being iconic, she is one of the better performed and more resourceful leading ladies.

Including Pussy, I share 7 of the top 10 with 6 still in the running.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,395
    Curious rankings so far, happily my top five is intact! Wonder how far Ms. Solitaire will go..
  • Wonder how far Ms. Solitaire will go..

She could probably tell you.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I had her at #18. The more time passes, the less impressed I am with her. She has a great look, with the eyes and the hair and the crossbow, but that's it. Her performance is pretty lame.

Yes, her performance is very disappointing. A top 10 for Melina is a bit shocking for me. I'm a fan of FYEO but Bouquet's inexistence of acting is a problem for me. Better than Octopussy??? No way!
    Curious rankings so far, happily my top five is intact! Wonder how far Ms. Solitaire will go..

Personally, I hope very far, indeed.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 6,778
    It took awhile but Melina Havelock has become a favourite of mine. That crossbow, that gaze, that long hair. A well-motivated, capable character, portrayed by a fine actress. It's nice to see her ending this high.