Denis Villeneuve's DUNE (2021)

12345679»

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I heard a few weeks ago that Warner and Paramount were merging or something to that effect? Star Trek shows are already moving over to HBO Max or Max whatever it is called now.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Anya Taylor-Joy has been confirmed as a last minute cast member of Dune: Part Two:

https://deadline.com/2024/02/anya-taylor-joy-joins-dune-part-two-surprise-casting-1235827084/
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Suddenly, I feel a bit more urgency to see Part Two...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 18 Posts: 23,351
    This Dune Part 2 trailer is amusing from Cinepolis...

Early reactions are positive, I think i may go back to the cinema for this one.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Anya Taylor-Joy has been confirmed as a last minute cast member of Dune: Part Two:

https://deadline.com/2024/02/anya-taylor-joy-joins-dune-part-two-surprise-casting-1235827084/

Interesting I think i know who Anna is playing, great casting. I have not been watching all the trailers though only just learned Christopher Walken is in the film also. This film is going to be epic.
    I missed the first one in theaters, opted for the HBO Max stream instead, so I really hope I don't miss the sequel too.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I thought The Arrival was great stuff, so when I heard he was doing a sequel to Blade Runner I was cautiously optimistic... but it turned out to be a waste of time for me. Dune pt. 1 was pretty good I thought, but sort of pale & calm compared the the Lynch version IMHO. We will of course see pt.2 asap. This version may end up growing on me.
    My issue with Dune Part One was the abrupt ending, though i kind of get it.

Oh I was totally prepared for that. My issue was with the Apocalypse Now version of the Baron.
    Not an original Dune fan (books and adaptations), and yet I've seen it twice at the cinema, and really liked it. Here's hoping part2 doesn't disappoint, as we don't have much to long for in 2024, in what big, quality blockbusters are concerned.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Just booked my IMAX tickets. Cannot wait.
    I think my girlfriend is off all that weekend so I might put my begging pants on and see if she wants to join me. I saw the first on HBO, would hate to miss this one in theaters too.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 21 Posts: 15,690
    Dune: Part 2:

Screenshot-20240221-190516-Chrome.jpg
    chrisisall wrote: »

Oh I was totally prepared for that. My issue was with the Apocalypse Now version of the Baron.

Skarsgård was definitely channeling Brando, maybe too closely.
    I was expecting to see some reviews by now...
    I'm planning on seeing it first thing Saturday.

My friend reviewed it on his podcast. Looks like it's totally worth seeing (and then some). I still liked the Lynch version better than part one; perhaps this will change my mind.

My friend reviewed it on his podcast. Looks like it's totally worth seeing (and then some). I still liked the Lynch version better than part one; perhaps this will change my mind.

Yeah I've heard nothing but frenzied excitement over it today. Haven't read any reviews or seen any spoilers but the few firsthand opinions I've heard make this one sound really, really special, possibly even better than the first.

I've unfortunately not seen the Lynch version but I hope to get around to it ASAP so I can compare them.

Yeah I've heard nothing but frenzied excitement over it today. Haven't read any reviews or seen any spoilers but the few firsthand opinions I've heard make this one sound really, really special, possibly even better than the first.

I've unfortunately not seen the Lynch version but I hope to get around to it ASAP so I can compare them.

I must admit the Lynch version is a bit uneven due to studio interference, and the actor playing Paul is not a late teen, but a twenty-ish dude. But it does have energy!

I must admit the Lynch version is a bit uneven due to studio interference, and the actor playing Paul is not a late teen, but a twenty-ish dude. But it does have energy!

Good enough for me! I actually love the cast I've seen in Lynch's version, eager to be able to finally compare the separate works and see who my favorites are in the end. I don't expect top tier quality from Lynch's take like I do with Villeneuve, I'm sure it'll be another beast entirely but special in its own ways still.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    There is a three-hour fan edit of Lynch's on YouTube, and I thought it was great. It's totally professional-looking and is assembled from various past edits. There's no reason to watch the original and not this one:

I'm excited for part two even though I didn't love the first. The first movie had some amazingly imaginative world-building, but it was all populated by the stiffest, blandest "characters" I've ever seen in a film. I don't get how it wasn't compared to The Phantom Menace in that regard.

I thought Dune: Part 2 was pretty great. I think it improved upon the first one in areas but fell behind in others. It's definitely not the best sci-film ever made (not even close, and it feels wild to see people proclaiming this already after one viewing) but Villeneuve knows how to shoot sci-fi epics, that's for sure.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited March 4 Posts: 1,430
    Neither Dune nor Dune 2 now have spoken to me. I don't think they're bad, but the franchise doesn't connect and Dune 2 does not share the sequel effect that ESB or TDK had on me, like some have promised. From what I know of the books, the first film felt long and the second film, plot-wise, seemed rushed. I think this is a moody film with a lot of atmosphere and style, but an otherwise dull execution of the story mechanics and developments, for me. Another case of putting pretty people in a pretty frame with the bare minimum story and everyone calling it good, to my eyes.
    Maybe Dune 1 should have ended with Paul deciding to go South, and then more of 2 could be his ascension and convincing of the tribes, which I felt was rushed. The movie didn't sell him as a believable messiah, for me.
    There is a three-hour fan edit of Lynch's on YouTube, and I thought it was great. It's totally professional-looking and is assembled from various past edits. There's no reason to watch the original and not this one:

I'm excited for part two even though I didn't love the first. The first movie had some amazingly imaginative world-building, but it was all populated by the stiffest, blandest "characters" I've ever seen in a film. I don't get how it wasn't compared to The Phantom Menace in that regard.

I haven't seen this one yet, but I will soon! I did see the extended edition on DVD, and while some additions were interesting, the editing was terrible. It was just deleted footage shoved back in with no expertise. This version seems promising....
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    There is a three-hour fan edit of Lynch's on YouTube, and I thought it was great.

I haven't seen this one yet, but I will soon! I did see the extended edition on DVD, and while some additions were interesting, the editing was terrible. It was just deleted footage shoved back in with no expertise. This version seems promising....

Oh, it is. I can't imagine any studio, or Lynch himself, being able to do more with what's available than what was done here. I wish I could get a hard copy somehow on Blu-ray...the original cut isn't really worth a purchase.
    There is a three-hour fan edit of Lynch's on YouTube, and I thought it was great.

Oh, it is. I can't imagine any studio, or Lynch himself, being able to do more with what's available than what was done here. I wish I could get a hard copy somehow on Blu-ray...the original cut isn't really worth a purchase.

I just watched the first 8 minutes, wow. This IS the way to go. I'd pay REAL money for a blu ray. I wonder if Lynch himself has seen this...
    edited March 4 Posts: 17,691
    I can't imagine any studio, or Lynch himself, being able to do more with what's available than what was done here.
    I couldn't help myself- I took a look at the ending.
    The rain is gone. Nice touch, I always felt that was added in just for a WOW factor. It really didn't make any sense.
    Yeah, this works for me. But the theatrical is still okay in my book.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Denis Villeneuve discusses Dune: Part Two with Film at Lincoln Center's Vice President of Programming Florence Almozini.