Denis Villeneuve's DUNE (2021)

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    OK. I am going to do a bit of a mea culpa, here.

I initially saw the film on HBOMax. Saw it a second time in theaters and then a third time on HBOMax, again. The third time I saw it with some friends, on a huge HD TV, with the pizza and the beer and everything.

I have changed my mind. This is a really good film. I agree with some comments that character development is not quite there, but overall DV did a fantastic job with this. And Zimmer's score is Oscar-worthy. He might get two noms this year.

Damn...

Just seen it on the big screen. There’s a couple of mis-steps (bagpipes … ?!) but overall … wow. I watched it in awe.

I was dreading the score, expecting it to be just yet more Zimmer stuff like Interstellar and Dark Knight and (let’s face it) NTTD. But I loved it.

Tremendous film.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Agreed. I loved it and I'm so glad Part Two will complete it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dune has now crossed $100 million at the domestic box office.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/dune-denis-villeneuve-movie-100m-domestic-box-office-1234880845/

I loved this movie a lot, can't wait for the second part.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dune is an excellent film. I have never read any of the books but I have seen both the Lynch film and the TV miniseries several times. The recent film was both visually impressive and comprehensible. Villeneuve can do no wrong in my book. Arrival, BR, Dune, Sicario, Enemy, Prisoners,... The man is awesome and I hope he will do Dune2.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The man is awesome and I hope he will do Dune2.

He’s already working on it the sequel is 1000% locked. He even said that he wants to make Dune 3 as well, as I written before.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    matt_u wrote: »

He’s already working on it the sequel is locked. He even said that he wants to make Dune 3 as well.

I am happy with that news.
    Me too.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    For those of you in the U.S. (or Canada ?), Denis Villeneuve will be on Turner Classic Movies on Thursday evening (2/24 at 8:00PM EST) to introduce two of his favorite films: 2OO1 and Lawrence of Arabia.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    matt_u wrote: »

He’s already working on it the sequel is locked. He even said that he wants to make Dune 3 as well.

I am happy with that news.
    His Dune is not my favourite (Lynch's is right now), but it is magnificent. Part 2 will be so fantastic! Room for both! And part 2 might make me a true believer....
    I'm about ready to rewatch this. Caught it on HBO Max when it came out and loved it. Was a bit confused as it began, I knew nothing of the source material at all and had never seen Lynch's version, but I loved what Villeneuve brought to the screen (his visuals are always impeccable) and I look forward to Part 2.
    I thought it was brilliant.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I read the novel for the first time before seeing this and I was very impressed with Villeneuve's adaptation. Not sure why the Kynes character was made female, but that sort of thing is now par the course. I must admit, I prefer the Lynch 'Hunter seeker' scene. I didn’t find this one's scene very well edited.

Other than that I loved the two viewings i've had. Part 2 can't come soon enough.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    kenton wrote: »
    I thought it was brilliant.

It was the film of the year for me. I think only The Last Duel and The Innocents could rival it.
    Didn't think I could get more excited for Part 2 but here it is:

Florence Pugh is being eyed for the role of Princess Irulan in Part 2:

https://deadline.com/2022/03/dune-part-2-florence-pugh-princess-irulan-1234973534/
    Austin Butler is now eyed for the role of Feyd-Rautha in the upcoming sequel:

https://deadline.com/2022/03/dune-part-two-austin-butler-feyd-rautha-1234975465/
    Walk without rhythm, and you won't attract the worm :))

In seriousness, though, this casting is terrific. The connection to the Fatboy Slim video and Lynch's Dune is, in all likelihood, a coincidence.
  • "Trust me, Denis, when the movie comes out, you're gonna wish you had more sandworm in it. I gotta have more sandworm, baby."
    "Trust me, Denis, when the movie comes out, you're gonna wish you had more sandworm in it. I gotta have more sandworm, baby."

Brilliant ! Might Walken appear first on ANOTHER planet ? An icy, cold one...with him warning the other folks that it REALLY is time to leave to go to the desert planet ? "The ice !....is gonna break !"
    ‘Dune Part 2’: Léa Seydoux To Play Lady Margot In Upcoming Sequel For Legendary:

https://deadline.com/2022/06/dune-part-2-lea-seydoux-to-play-lady-margot-in-upcoming-sequel-for-legendary-1235048753/
  • belleswannbelleswann britain
    Great news, Lea was so good in NTTD even though I wasn't that high on the film itself she made me care what happened. She has now appeared in Bond, Mission and now Dune and I think she will be perfect as a member in the Bene Gesserit.
    And while I didn't love the film, I thought Lea was one of the best performers in Crimes of the Future. I can't wait to see her in this and the film as a whole, the cast is beyond legendary.
    Early production to begin as early as tomorrow on Dune: Part Two, with full production with most of the cast set to start on July 21st:

https://deadline.com/2022/07/dune-part-two-production-italy-1235057506/
    Might Dune 2 be, well, livelier ?
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Am I the only one who didn't really like it? In the end I was glad I waited until it was out of the cinema and PVOD. There were bits that were fine and really worked but others I just found slightly underwhelming. It's a shame because I really love Villeneuve and I was pretty hyped to see Dune... Perhaps it's a victim of following the book as I found the book a slog in my late teens. I've not revisited the book since. I'll see Part 2 and I'll probably watch Part 1 and Part 2 with the hubby as he doesn't want to watch it until both parts are out.

To be honest my exposure to Dune as a kid was Dune, the video game, Dune 2 and the whacky "milking cats Lynch version" so maybe that set my expectations for the book unfairly :D
    00Heaven wrote: »
    Am I the only one who didn't really like it? In the end I was glad I waited until it was out of the cinema and PVOD. There were bits that were fine and really worked but others I just found slightly underwhelming. It's a shame because I really love Villeneuve and I was pretty hyped to see Dune... Perhaps it's a victim of following the book as I found the book a slog in my late teens. I've not revisited the book since. I'll see Part 2 and I'll probably watch Part 1 and Part 2 with the hubby as he doesn't want to watch it until both parts are out.

To be honest my exposure to Dune as a kid was Dune, the video game, Dune 2 and the whacky "milking cats Lynch version" so maybe that set my expectations for the book unfairly :D

I didn't dislike it, but as I said before, I was a little underwhelmed. I suppose it is the downside with condensing a complicated book that probably should have been a TV-series into a comprehensive two part film, but I thought many of the characters were quite superficial and deserved to be more fleshed out. An example is how often Paul and Duncan have to tell us and demonstrate they are hubbies. We don't really have time to see their friendship grow, so they have to hammer it home in a slightly tacky way. It didn't help though. Duncan's death didn't carry the emotional punch they obviously were aiming for, at least not for me.

It is only one of many examples of underwhelming characters. I am also allergic to unecessary use of cheesy slow-mo which there was a lot of in Dune.

Maybe the sequel will be better.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    jobo wrote: »
    I didn't dislike it, but as I said before, I was a little underwhelmed. I suppose it is the downside with condensing a complicated book that probably should have been a TV-series into a comprehensive two part film, but I thought many of the characters were quite superficial and deserved to be more fleshed out. An example is how often Paul and Duncan have to tell us and demonstrate they are hubbies. We don't really have time to see their friendship grow, so they have to hammer it home in a slightly tacky way. It didn't help though. Duncan's death didn't carry the emotional punch they obviously were aiming for, at least not for me.

It is only one of many examples of underwhelming characters. I am also allergic to unecessary use of cheesy slow-mo which there was a lot of in Dune.

Maybe the sequel will be better.

Hmm. You know I think this sums up my feelings a bit better just in general. I don't like it. I don't dislike it. I'm just generally kind of apathetic about it and I do find myself agreeing with most of your points. I didn't really think Dune was an easy read in the first place so translating it onto screen is even harder.
    Dune: Part Two synopsis has been unveiled:

"This follow-up film will explore the mythic journey of Paul Atreides as he unites with Chani and the Fremen while on a warpath of revenge against the conspirators who destroyed his family. Facing a choice between the love of his life and the fate of the known universe, he endeavors to prevent a terrible future only he can foresee."
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Dune: Part Two synopsis has been unveiled:

"This follow-up film will explore the mythic journey of Paul Atreides as he unites with Chani and the Fremen while on a warpath of revenge against the conspirators who destroyed his family. Facing a choice between the love of his life and the fate of the known universe, he endeavors to prevent a terrible future only he can foresee."

I'm excited! Watched the part 1 of it and it's really great! Can't wait for this.....