Denis Villeneuve's DUNE (2021)

edited October 2020 in General Movies & TV Posts: 4,400
0520-Dune-Timothee-Solo-Lede.jpg

Bring me this film now.....a Denis Villenueve and Timothee Chalamet team-up. I mean wow........

Also, this is the first bit of film promotion I've seen in a month and it at least gives us something to talk about and look forward to.

I never read the book, but the Lynch film does linger in the memory, just because it was so out there and bold. For better and worse. It's a very 'interesting' film to say the least even if it is mostly unsuccessful. Considering the rich, thematic and visually stunning nature of Blade Runner 2049 and Villenueve's previous work this is surely going to a treat. He's become the go to director for heady high-brow sci-fi in recent years. I hope this film get Timothee the Oscar love he is due. I have a mad crush on that kid.

Also, can American pronounce Denis's name correctly. It's Vill-nerve not Vill-en-new.

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    This has a fantastic cast too. Timothée Chalamet, Jason Momoa, Rebecca Ferguson, Dave Bautista, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Charlotte Rampling & Stellan Skarsgard. That's 3 Oscar nominees and 1 Oscar winner.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Can’t wait for this. Hopefully it won’t flop since I want Part 2 as well.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    matt_u wrote: »

Dune's budget is 60 million less than Blade Runner 2049. So hopefully this will help Part 2 from happening. Villeneuve probably has even more good-will now (and bigger fanbase) given his Blade Runner sequel was way better than it had any rights to be.
    matt_u wrote: »

Dune's budget is 60 million less than Blade Runner 2049. So hopefully this will help Part 2 from happening. Villeneuve probably has even more good-will now (and bigger fanbase) given his Blade Runner sequel was way better than it had any rights to be.

Thank god for that....Blade Runner was effectively a $200 million arthouse project. It had inflections of Christopher Nolan's Batman films in its scale and tone. But fundamentally it was a very introspective and dour movie with ideas in its mind.

With Dune, you have a potential to do the 'ideas' but also play up the Star Wars-esque worldbuilding. You just need to market it right. Bacially put Chamalmet and that cast in the trailer with heaps and heaps of visually astounding action. Also, perhaps throw a joke in the trailer. You'll probably blow the solitary joke this film has in a trailer, but Dune needs to be a success!!!!

Also this Vanity Fair profile is basically Warner stealing a page from the Star Wars playbook.

Also, speaking of the cast....I mean, wow........you have Bardem in this as well?!?! Also Baustisa (two Bond connections). I totally forgot that.

cwruk918ajy31.jpg
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think Villeneuve needs to add a bit of action in his films. Dune is already looking to be a Critical Success, like his other films. Maybe his Slow-Burn Style & Runtime are factors that tend to keep his Box-office Numbers low. Maybe he might up the action this time, we all know he has Narrative Prowess. And am also excited for Zimmer's Score.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    For me, it's all about Chalamet. He's the Daniel Day-Lewis of this generation. A millennial James Dean.

Also, that first look image was shot by DP Grieg Fraser. I thought Sandgren had a shot for a nomination for NTTD, but its looks like Dune will be the blockbuster that breaks through at the Academy next year......Fraser is a shoe-in for the Oscar.

Villenuve is evidence why digital cinematography is not the enemy. He makes such crisp clean imagery. Love it.

EVe2I0SUwAEtFrU?format=jpg&name=small
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 6,665
    Daniel Day Lewis and James Dean don't belong in the same sentence, and neither does Chalamet, who I grant you is a talented actor, but DDL is on another stratosphere.

I have yet to see something Chalamet or Dean brought to the screen like, say, My left foot, or In the name of the father, or A Room with a View, or The Unbearable lightness of being, or The last of the Mohicans, or There will be blood, or... I could go on. East of Eden, The Giant or Rebel without a cause are overhyped, and so are most of Chalamet's films so far. Besides Call me by your name, he hasn't done anything that has impressed me. Lady bird was ok, Interstellar was a small role, easily outshined by his adult version (Affleck). Looking forward to The French dispatch, though. But for me, The King and the Woody Allen movie were cringeworthy, to say the least.

That being said, and that being just a personal opinion, I'm very much looking forward to seeing Dune. Villeneuve is a top director, and that's a top cast.
    Univex wrote: »
    Daniel Day Lewis and James Dean don't belong in the same sentence, and neither does Chalamet, who I grant you is a talented actor, but DDL is on another stratosphere.

I have yet to see something Chalamet or Dean brought to the screen like, say, My left foot, or In the name of the father, or A Room with a View, or The Unbearable lightness of being, or The last of the Mohicans, or There will be blood, or... I could go on. East of Eden, The Giant or Rebel without a cause are overhyped, and so are most of Chalamet's films so far. Besides Call me by your name, he hasn't done anything that has impressed me. Lady bird was ok, Interstellar was a small role, easily outshined by his adult version (Affleck). Looking forward to The French dispatch, though. But for me, The King and the Woody Allen movie were cringeworthy, to say the least.

That being said, and that being just a personal opinion, I'm very much looking forward to seeing Dune. Villeneuve is a top director, and that's a top cast.

I could not disagree more.

The final shot of Call Me By Your Name is an acting masterclass. His performance in Lady Bird is effortlessly cool, urbane and sexy. He was heartbreaking in Beautiful Boy. Then he gave a nuanced and controlled performance in The King. He is a natural fit for the Wes Anderson universe and looks to be channeling his inner Adam Driver in Dune.

I'll be honest, he's my favourite actor at the moment......he's so damn good

anigif_sub-buzz-3441-1530105478-1.gif?downsize=700:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Agreed. Nonsense.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Agreed. Nonsense.

+1
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think they're all great Actors.....but Wow! Daniel-Day Lewis!....that's an Actor from ACTING Planet. I wonder how many Directors & Producers dislike him right now for turning down their Scripts. Secretly, I've always envisaged him as Bond. He would have been electric. I always get Goosebumps every time I watch The Last Of The Mohicans.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,686

Pierce Brosnan once talked about 2 of his favorite films, No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood, and he noted that he considers Daniel Day Lewis as the greatest actor of all time. Very wise words from Brosnan, and I agree with him.

Pierce Brosnan once talked about 2 of his favorite films, No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood, and he noted that he considers Daniel Day Lewis as the greatest actor of all time. Very wise words from Brosnan, and I agree with him.

I agree too, Daniel Day Lewis is a phenomenon. A true chameleonic thespian.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Kinda getting a Hunger Games vibe. Also, a lot of the visuals look very reminesent of the David Lynch version. I thought this was supposed to be a radical reinvention. It looks almost identical.....

zwyQjr7PAIVvcQoVrI5kXqXqt2t.jpg?quality=50&width=1800&ratio=16-9&resizeStyle=aspectfill&format=jpg
    03836404a1dff5655215bb5539eab7ce.jpg
    3c8756ba6e87e6efe0f47f1b2012061e.jpg
    The David Lynch suits production looked better, IMO. But very similar, yes.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    As a huge fan of the Lynch film (I know Lynch did not like Dune) this new film intrigues me, I suspect the majority of the above new images are publicity shots as to be honest they look average.
    As a huge fan of the Lynch film (I know Lynch did not like Dune) this new film intrigues me, I suspect the majority of the above new images are publicity shots as to be honest they look average.

They really do. Could be of Starship Troopers :P
    But, as you say, there just publicity shots. Not very good ones at that.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I actually like them, but for those who don't, it is probably best to see the costumes in context with the cinematography and colour grading.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

They really do. Could be of Starship Troopers :P
    But, as you say, there just publicity shots. Not very good ones at that.

I liked the first Starship Troopers though being a satire it could get away with alot, though I know what you mean.

I think the strength in Denis Villenueve's Dune will undoubtedly be the ensemble cast.

Admittedly I am hit and miss with Denis work Blade Runner 2049 I thought was superb, on the other hand I found Arrival incredibly bland.
    Poppycock to those who say Chalamet isn't reminiscent of DDL. Just watched Little Women - which he is charming and engaging in - and was reading Variety's review, which says:
    https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/little-women-review-2-1203407660/
    • Over the years, that role has gone to actors ranging from a pre-Batman Christian Bale (who first asked Ryder’s Jo to dance) to future “Rat Packer” Peter Lawford (in Mervyn LeRoy’s 1949 version) to Jonah Hauer-King (just announced as Prince Eric in Disney’s “The Little Mermaid” reboot), but Chalamet feels the Lauriest of Lauries: Doe-eyed and floppy-haired, alternately indolent and hyper-attentive, and so faithful as to seem almost fraternal, he plays the Marches’ devoted admirer as if channeling a young Daniel Day-Lewis — a connection younger audiences won’t make but older ones are sure to appreciate.

Echoes my feelings exactly.

Plus the James Dean quote is actually a quote that is going around about Chalamet generally:
    https://www.numero.com/en/cinema/timothee-chalamet-call-me-by-your-name-hostiles-lady-bird

22405936.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=720

Also, a new photo of Zendaya from Dune. This is the best photo from the film yet. So hyped for Dune!!!

m3j0dr645vs41.jpg
    Chalamet being in the same league of Daniel Day Lewis is as preposterous as one can get for critic or a slavering young fan as yourself @Pierce2Daniel.

That english accent he did for The King was ridiculous. His anaemic looks go hand in hand with his anaemic acting. The Henriad deserved better, and England has plenty of stellar young actor who could've taken that role. Go watch the 90s Kenneth Branagh version for good reference. As for the Michôd film, I can't for the life of me watch it, it's ridiculous and Chalamet is to blame for that. That fight in the beginning, his stance, his scrawny prince winning that man-to-man fight was ridiculous. He didn't even have the screen presence for it.

His Little Women role doesn't hold a candle to Lewis's Newland Archer, although if I was a new-gen critic who wanted to brave a faux intelectual comment just to make known that I knew of Scorcese's film, I'd make that idiotic comparison.

Oh, so he'll be Prince Eric in Disney's The Little Mermaid. Wow, man, that's brilliant (do note the sarcasm). Doe-eyed and floppy-haired, alternately indolent and hyper-attentive indeed. A product of his generation, I give him that. The very archetype of overhyped product Hollywood tends to sell from time to time.

All of that does not a good thespian make. Just a millennial James Dean, as you put it, pouting and posing with teen angst. So he plays the piano. So do I. So what? So he knows some other languages besides the Queen's, so do I. So what? So he has a foreign sounding name. So do I. So what?

Jeez, what passes today as quality is obnoxiously mediocre.

Chalamet a new Daniel Day Lewis...Please...

My opinion, of course. But I had to rant about it ;)

Cheers
    Certainly looking forward to this movie! :-bd
    It's a shame most of the Fremen are Lily white. They should've been played by middle easterns.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Chalamet being in the same league of Daniel Day Lewis is as preposterous as one can get for critic or a slavering young fan as yourself @Pierce2Daniel.

That english accent he did for The King was ridiculous. His anaemic looks go hand in hand with his anaemic acting. The Henriad deserved better, and England has plenty of stellar young actor who could've taken that role. Go watch the 90s Kenneth Branagh version for good reference. As for the Michôd film, I can't for the life of me watch it, it's ridiculous and Chalamet is to blame for that. That fight in the beginning, his stance, his scrawny prince winning that man-to-man fight was ridiculous. He didn't even have the screen presence for it.

His Little Women role doesn't hold a candle to Lewis's Newland Archer, although if I was a new-gen critic who wanted to brave a faux intelectual comment just to make known that I knew of Scorcese's film, I'd make that idiotic comparison.

Oh, so he'll be Prince Eric in Disney's The Little Mermaid. Wow, man, that's brilliant (do note the sarcasm). Doe-eyed and floppy-haired, alternately indolent and hyper-attentive indeed. A product of his generation, I give him that. The very archetype of overhyped product Hollywood tends to sell from time to time.

All of that does not a good thespian make. Just a millennial James Dean, as you put it, pouting and posing with teen angst. So he plays the piano. So do I. So what? So he knows some other languages besides the Queen's, so do I. So what? So he has a foreign sounding name. So do I. So what?

Cheers

I like Chalamet. He's good. But he's not that good. Not yet at least.

So in that sense, I agree with you @Univex. Again. ;)

Cheers

I like Chalamet. He's good. But he's not that good. Not yet at least.

So in that sense, I agree with you @Univex. Again. ;)

Granted, he was good in Call me by your name and in Beautiful boy, decent in Interstellar and in Lady Bird. I just think he's overrated. Maybe one day I'll change my opinion, but he'll have to work for it.
    The kid playing Paul I have seen some of the films mentioned that he was in, Interstellar numerous times as I love the film. Until reading comments on this thread I had no idea who Timothy or Timothee ? is, in other words he has not stood out for me in any films he has been in that I have seen.
    F%&K NTTD this was the movie I was really looking forward to, I do hope I get to see it in cinema.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    F%&K NTTD

Really? :-<
    The first trailer for Dune will debut with Inception's 10th anniversary re-release next month.