Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

Wise advice from these ladies :

And from this lady :

• edited March 2020 Posts: 3,279
    https://www.euromomo.eu/slices/map_2017_2020.html

Mortality rates. Drag your pointer over the blue timeline below to compare over the last three years.

Spain is now rocketing towards Italy figures, yet according to that graph everything is ok and normal everywhere, apart from Italy...?

Are you suggesting by posting this graph that everything is fine, nothing to worry about, just like you have done with similar links with your previous posts?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    This is the end of the world! (Hitchcock, The Birds)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2020 Posts: 17,809
    Gerard wrote: »

Lovely stuff.

Goats are nature's most efficient lawnmowers. ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »

Lovely stuff.

Goats are nature's most efficient lawnmowers. ;)

The resurgence of nature that we've been seeing around the world, even in small amounts, is by far the greatest byproduct of the virus (and, it could be argued, the purpose of it).

https://www.gq.com/story/rikers-island-mass-grave

Now that is a morbid headline if I've ever read one.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

America seems poised to be in the worst shape of anywhere in the world, when all is said and done.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

America seems poised to be in the worst shape of anywhere in the world, when all is said and done.

Dr. Fauci also said that the U.S. would be far better prepared for the "second wave", so while I'm not optimistic (our own experts say it won't be over until 60 to 70 percent of the population have been infected), there is no need to be all gloomy about it. That being said, for now the U.S. seems to be following the course of "America First" indeed.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2020 Posts: 17,691
    We are in for it. Local old soldier home is getting slammed...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Mortality rates. Drag your pointer over the blue timeline below to compare over the last three years.

Spain is now rocketing towards Italy figures, yet according to that graph everything is ok and normal everywhere, apart from Italy...?

Are you suggesting by posting this graph that everything is fine, nothing to worry about, just like you have done with similar links with your previous posts?

Everything is obviously not fine. What the graphs show is that excess mortality is so far unchanged for most of western Europe, and that regional fluctuations occur from time to time. When most victims are in their eighties and nineties, and often well above the average life expectancy, then there is nothing exceptional about that. Death is normal. You will never see "old age" as the cause of death on a death certificate. Respiratory problems are unfortunately not an uncommon cause.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    For some of us Corona is something that happens to other people, but now it struck where it hurts. Wallace Roney, the jazz trumpet player, died from Covid-19. He was only 60 years old. I met him not long ago at a concert, a great and warm person. And now I go and listen to his CDs for the rest of the day.

• edited April 2020 Posts: 1,314
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    A friend sent me this regarding Corona:

"Timendi causa est nescire.
    The cause of fear is ignorance.
    — Seneca"

I haven't responded yet. I'm not sure whether I agree with him on these matters. The ignorant seem less frightened than those who keep up with the latest news, who have brushed up their "virology for dummies", who have been looking into the mechanics of it all...

What does the room think about this?

Ignorance is bliss? Sure. But blissful ignorance is not a way to make decisions that affect other people. Particularly when other peoples lives are at risk.

It’s a point I’ve thought about a lot. Happy and ignorant or informed / culture / educated and less happy?

I think when times are good, a love and passion for curiosity and learning outweighs the hard times and the stress that comes with knowedge.

Also the human race wouldn’t have achieved anything of note without inquiry.

But a timeless and timely question.

Anyone else?
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,279

Everything is obviously not fine. What the graphs show is that excess mortality is so far unchanged for most of western Europe, and that regional fluctuations occur from time to time. When most victims are in their eighties and nineties, and often well above the average life expectancy, then there is nothing exceptional about that. Death is normal. You will never see "old age" as the cause of death on a death certificate. Respiratory problems are unfortunately not an uncommon cause.

I guess none of these overall statistics, death rates of elderly, comparing to previous virus epidemics, etc. mean that much while we are not even reaching the peak yet. Proper analysis will be done once we are all through to the other side and this nightmare is over.

Then we can start assessing the aftermath, the collateral damage, statistics, how bad it really was, etc.

While we are still in the early stages, and nowhere near reaching the worst yet, and knowing what disaster potentially lies ahead for the next few months, it seems fairly pointless, unless your message is to say everything is exaggerated, and its all really ok, no need to panic.

If you are feeling that relaxed about it because of misleading stats like these, then you are probably in a very sheltered minority.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    12X1plr.jpg
  • echoecho 007 in New York
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 1,640
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,541
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    12X1plr.jpg

LMFAO that would make one hell of a Halloween costume this year :))

that video is actually fake, the biker was actually informed beforehand, still love the police in the south(Tamil Nadu & Kerela police are one of the best in India) , they are simply trying to aware people who are refusing to follow the lockdown.
    All I will say is that I hope and pray that all of us on here as well as our families and friends are spared from this awful disease. Stay safe everyone.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Chinese communist government is a snake China is lying they are getting worse not better and now they are going to rerelease people back into society and apparently they are hogging equipment to fight the virus and giving countries faulty equipment to blame the west. They already claim the u.s. army did it with a bio weapon which is false.

Some claimed the Chinese produced the virus as a bio weapon, which is also false.

People should understand something: this would be a lousy bio weapon.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 3,126
    The Chinese communist government is a snake China is lying they are getting worse not better and now they are going to rerelease people back into society and apparently they are hogging equipment to fight the virus and giving countries faulty equipment to blame the west. They already claim the u.s. army did it with a bio weapon which is false.

Some claimed the Chinese produced the virus as a bio weapon, which is also false.

Yeah absolutely misinformation every where I'm not the one trying to defend china though are you trying to defend China?
  • That's funny, I thought we were trying to not let this thread get political. Oh well, live & learn...
    That's funny, I thought we were trying to not let this thread get political. Oh well, live & learn...

Its tough because the coronavirus is, by nature, a political issue.

Definitely no need to use it as an excuse to be racist though.
    That's funny, I thought we were trying to not let this thread get political. Oh well, live & learn...
    All I did was report on China where the cronovirus came from I can't report on different countries? I can't report facts? All your intend is to set me up.

Well it did come from China specifically Wuhan what am I not supposed to say where it came from just to not offend anyone that's ridiculous and silly. Just saying where something came from doesn't mean its "racist". No one ever talks about calling the Spanish flu of 1919 as racist even though it's the same concept. Maybe people should just call that the flu of 1919. I never blamed the Chinese people only the government.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    All I did was report on China where the cronovirus came from I can't report on different countries? I can't report facts? All your intend is to set me up.

Facts?
    The Chinese communist government is a snake China is lying they are getting worse not better and now they are going to rerelease people back into society and apparently they are hogging equipment to fight the virus and giving countries faulty equipment to blame the west.

Something can't "apparently" be a fact. It's either a fact or it isn't.
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »

Well it did come from China specifically Wuhan what am I not supposed to say where it came from just to not offend anyone that's ridiculous and silly. Just saying where something came from doesn't mean its "racist". No one ever talks about calling the Spanish flu of 1919 as racist even though it's the same concept. Maybe people should just call that the flu of 1919. I never blamed the Chinese people only the government.

"...all your intend is to set me up." No, syntax errors aside -- you set yourself up. All you're trying to do is foment hate. Whether you intend that hate to be directed at a people or at their government is irrelevant.

Yeah absolutely misinformation every where I'm not the one trying to defend china though are you trying to defend China?

You're pretty clearly trying to offend, not defend. Sounds like you're trying to start a fight. Let's not go there right now, okay?
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,564

Sorry but I must disagree on this one point. The virus is a medical issue. It's only the reaction of some very foolish people that have turned it into a political one.

Facts?
    The Chinese communist government is a snake China is lying they are getting worse not better and now they are going to rerelease people back into society and apparently they are hogging equipment to fight the virus and giving countries faulty equipment to blame the west.

Something can't "apparently" be a fact. It's either a fact or it isn't.

Yeah facts unless you don't trust news media that includes news places you trust. That's me giving a headline to get people to read the whole paragraph I type its really just to catch the eyes it looks like it worked. There is a reason I sent links you know in the post but you don't give a crap about but only nitpick whatever I type out to whatever you "think" is correct to align with your ideology. I could have taken that word out what you want me to use? I can rewrite the whole thing to fit your needs.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS "Something can't "apparently" be a fact. It's either a fact or it isn't."

Welcome to Trump World