Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    A near total lockdown in place here in Ireland. People only allowed out of their homes if working in an essential sector, for gathering essential supplies or for medical emergencies. All public gatherings of any number prohibited.

Over 2,000 confirmed cases here. 50% of them in the capital. Almost 400 of the cases are healthcare workers.

Its about the same here its getting bad in the u.s. the total number I think like tripled in like 3 days or something like that its getting crazy.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,639
    Nothing to do with nature but everything to do with chinese having terrible hygiene standards at their markets , animals standing in feces etc :(

China doesnt give a c**p about enviroment either , toxic waste dumped right in the rivers

Its not the first time either , 1968/2003......with the total lack of hygiene its no wonder stuff like this can happen - and sadly will happen again if they dont get their c**p together afa sanitation
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Italian members of the forum have already seen this, I'm sure.

This video is an excerpt from an Italian TV show from 2015. It tells a story about Chinese scientists doing experiments and possibly creating a new form of virus by combining an existing SARS virus and a protein taken from a bat.

The scientists said that this is not COVID 19, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I saw that too. Really bizarre. Everything in that excerpt looks to be pointing in the direction of COVID-19. Hard to believe it is not, but if they say it isn't who am I to question that?

Let it (not) be (food) , good pun huh ;)

Thats an old post now. It says the death rate is 4,700, yet we are now at 27,417.

Either the post is very old, or the death rate has jumped at an alarming rate. Either way, I'm not sure why you keep posting these, as though its some justification for saying COVID isn't that bad..?
    Tracy wrote: »

Let it (not) be (food) , good pun huh ;)

awwwww....bats are so cute! :-*
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Meanwhile people who are suffering the most from lockdown here have to walk home without much food or water.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,547
    I'm terrified for what will happen in developing countries.

On a slightly positive note, the numbers of hospitalised infected in my country, Belgium, are still growing but not exponentially anymore. Same with the number of Corona deaths. Our virologists seem cautiously optimistic that our rapid response and decisive measures are beginning to pay off...
    DarthDimi wrote: »

On a slightly positive note, the numbers of hospitalised infected in my country, Belgium, are still growing but not exponentially anymore. Same with the number of Corona deaths. Our virologists seem cautiously optimistic that our rapid response and decisive measures are beginning to pay off...

I was impressed by the decisive way our government responded to the matter.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,547
    GoldenGun wrote: »

We were called "a failed state" before, but what we can pride ourselves in is
    - the fact that we're leaving the de facto decision making over to scientists, not politicians;
    - in times like these, we can set our petty differences aside and unite against a common enemy.

We're not there yet, far from it, but I have good hopes that we're slowly getting there.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 6,786
    GoldenGun wrote: »

We were called "a failed state" before, but what we can pride ourselves in is
    - the fact that we're leaving the de facto decision making over to scientists, not politicians;
    - in times like these, we can set our petty differences aside and unite against a common enemy.

We're not there yet, far from it, but I have good hopes that we're slowly getting there.

100% agreed.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Benny wrote: »
    @chrisisall by non-political we mean, that this thread will not become a Trump or Boris bashing thread due to their actions. Or digress into a political discussion away from the Covid-19 crisis.
    Mistakes will be made, thousands of people are advising and updating our world leaders at this unprecedented time. But we will overcome this.
    Yes. Must stay positive about this.
    Congrats my friend!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    889 new deaths and 5,974 new cases in Italy today. They are the first country to reach 10,000 deaths.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Meanwhile people who are suffering the most from lockdown here have to walk home without much food or water.

Poor people. What an unworthy treatment.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
  • I don't think constantly reporting these figures helps people's state of mind.
    What we all need to remember is that currently, more people have recovered from COVID-19 than have died from it - the media would rather, of course, fearmonger things rather than occasionally mentioning this vital fact. In the UK news, it's just constant updates of number of cases and number of deaths. I'm taking this seriously if course, as are all of my close friends (I'm currently entertaining them by recording videos of myself reading the Ian Fleming books) but constantly checking figures will just make the situation feel more bleak and depressing than it already is. Let's just try and keep our spirits up and keep our news updates to a minimum if we can.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't think constantly reporting these figures helps people's state of mind.
    What we all need to remember is that currently, more people have recovered from COVID-19 than have died from it - the media would rather, of course, fearmonger things rather than occasionally mentioning this vital fact. In the UK news, it's just constant updates of number of cases and number of deaths. I'm taking this seriously if course, as are all of my close friends (I'm currently entertaining them by recording videos of myself reading the Ian Fleming books) but constantly checking figures will just make the situation feel more bleak and depressing than it already is. Let's just try and keep our spirits up and keep our news updates to a minimum if we can.

I disagree, I feel the figures are important. It goes hand in hand with taking it seriously. Pretending that people aren't dying isn't helpful.

There are plenty of threads for distractions if that is what you are looking for! :)
    Moving on now from The War on Terror to The war on Death.
  • I disagree, I feel the figures are important. It goes hand in hand with taking it seriously. Pretending that people aren't dying isn't helpful.

Where on earth in my post did I come across as if I was 'pretending that people aren't dying'? The newspaper that I read the most is The Guardian. I look at it every day mostly for opinion and culture articles. Ever since this situation started, their front page is full of Coronavirus headlines in a bright orange font, frequently updating the amount of cases and deaths in the UK as well as round the world (with a flashing bulletpoint next to live event articles). I have to stop myself from reading the figure updates because there I feel there is a real danger of habitually looking at them / developing a morbid fascination of watching numbers go up. I just don't see how getting constant updates about new cases / deaths (yet almost nothing about people who've recovered) can possibly help reassure people or help their state of mind - if anything it's doing the exact opposite.
    An interesting statistic: With most schools closed, the USA hasn’t had a mass shooting in 14 days. The last time they went this long without one was in 1985.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,526
    An interesting statistic: With most schools closed, the USA hasn’t had a mass shooting in 14 days. The last time they went this long without one was in 1985.

The United States has had a mass shooting every 14 days since 1985?

Most gun availability, most mass murders with guns. You'd think that'd pretty much wrap that up, wouldn't you.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690

The United States has had a mass shooting every 14 days since 1985?

Mass shooting or school shooting (which often leads to much fewer victims than the former), but yes. TheY passed their longest period without such tragedy 2 days ago already.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Gents this has nothing to do with the corona virus. It's only going to lead to off topic discussion.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I know the Virus is still around, but if it's any consolation, I can wait for April to come....I would like to think a New Month do come with it's Goodness. March 2020, feels like the longest month of all time. April could just be a breath of fresh Air, Amidst this Virus.
    Italy is about 7 to 10 days away from reaching the peak of its outbreak, according to its Deputy Health Minister Pierpaolo Sileri.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,469
    Some news I collected yesterday:
    --New info from the WHO as of Friday says the virus does NOT seem to linger in the air or be capable of spreading through the air over distances more than about three feet, but is transmitted through large "respiratory droplets and contact routes" via coughing and sneezing. But at least one expert says it's way too soon to know for sure. (link at bottom)
    --Sweden is still totally open for business! Grade schools, bars, restaurants, sports events, borders and ski resorts are open. But starting today, they're banning public gatherings of over 50 people. Sweden does have the usual common sense advisories.
    --Cases in many parts of the U.S. have continued to rise.
    --In B.C. Canada, new info shows the transmission rate there has dropped by double digits. (If I remember correctly, infection rates in Italy, China, South Korea and Germany have also been, or were, falling. The Italian Prime Minister just said they may reopen schools Friday if rates drop and it's feasible.)
    --Dr. Fauci is "really confident" that people who recover from coronavirus can become immune to it.
    --A Business Insider poll of over 1,100 people from a SurveyMonkey audience shows, in the U.S., the median Republican thinks the crisis would be over in about 2 months, but the median Democrat thinks that'll happen in about 3 months. I side with the Republicans on this.
    --The Trump administration's working on new guidelines for social distancing, based on whether certain counties are at low, medium or high risk.
    --New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said Thursday that quarantining everyone together in New York City may not have been the best strategy because the virus could cross age groups more easily. His state is working on a plan to try to get people back to work in a smart, safe way.
    --Oxford University research suggests over two-thirds of the UK may have already been infected with the coronavirus. But health experts say the research has key failings and is open to over-interpretation.
    --And, UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) President Dana White is "hellbent" on staging UFC 249, a major fight night, on April 18th, despite the pandemic. The headliners: your lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov versus Tony Ferguson, but with no fans in attendance.
    https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/modes-of-transmission-of-virus-causing-covid-19-implications-for-ipc-precaution-recommendations?fbclid=IwAR2R63dduj7ajkqgDwb30ve-KS0iU6_N6xjH2jZrxQ7zelUfN3HqZIw7B-U
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Chinese newspaper Caixin says that based on the number of cinerary urns delivered throughout the last weeks the real casualties in China should be at least 42.000 people.

I believe that’s quite likely.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I disagree, I feel the figures are important. It goes hand in hand with taking it seriously. Pretending that people aren't dying isn't helpful.

Where on earth in my post did I come across as if I was 'pretending that people aren't dying'? The newspaper that I read the most is The Guardian. I look at it every day mostly for opinion and culture articles. Ever since this situation started, their front page is full of Coronavirus headlines in a bright orange font, frequently updating the amount of cases and deaths in the UK as well as round the world (with a flashing bulletpoint next to live event articles). I have to stop myself from reading the figure updates because there I feel there is a real danger of habitually looking at them / developing a morbid fascination of watching numbers go up. I just don't see how getting constant updates about new cases / deaths (yet almost nothing about people who've recovered) can possibly help reassure people or help their state of mind - if anything it's doing the exact opposite.

If you don't want to read statistics updates about the coronavirus, don't go into the coronavirus discussion thread.

It's that simple.
    It would be utterly ridiculous to assume that statistical updates on a daily basis are not, somehow, inherently tied to a thread like this. I don't see what the objections could possibly be about. It's a hard and unpleasant truth we're dealing with here, but for once, it is an undisputed truth!

Anyone willing to run away from that, should probably avoid this thread, the News, papers--in fact, all media. But "ignorance is bliss" really doesn't hold up these days. This isn't about "sleeping well at night"; this is about understanding what's going on, about facing the facts and about taking the matter seriously.

Furthermore, I would like to take this opportunity and thank @DaltonCraig007 and others who continue to provide us with the numbers.