Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Yesterday Milan recorded more of the double of new infections compared to the previous day after 4 encouraging days. I’m praying for good news for today’s statistics. Since most of the infected suffer not so heavy symptoms or even none is basically impossible to know the actual real number of infections... so on the other hand the only two statistics that really matters here are the number of new hospitalizations and the number of healed patients.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 613
    Another interesting article, this one on the bungling that led to the NYC cases. Mayor de Blasio does not come off well here.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-mistakes-that-turned-new-york-into-an-epicenter-of-the-coronavirus-epidemic-090040375.html
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).

250 000-500 000 die from the flu every year. These numbers don t say much by themselves.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I swear, if this thing kills me before I get to see NTTD I'm going to be pissed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,686

250 000-500 000 die from the flu every year. These numbers don t say much by themselves.

If we stay on the current average of 5,000 deaths every 2 days = 912,500 deaths in a year from coronavirus.

At this current rate we are talking millions by the end of the year. What else is there to say...
  • TripAces wrote: »
    I swear, if this thing kills me before I get to see NTTD I'm going to be pissed.

Talk to Warren Zevon about it. http://www.alearned.com/terminal-cancer/ In the fall of 2002, upon learning he had terminal cancer, Warren was quoted as saying "I just want to live long enough to see the next James Bond movie." (He did -- "Die Another Day.")

At this current rate we are talking millions by the end of the year. What else is there to say...

Yes... and wait for Africa... we are going to suffer the biggest global crisis since WWII and for a lot of people well, it’s just a flu.
    "Prof Chris Whitty self-isolating after having Covid-19 symptoms"
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    French government has extended the country-wide lockdown by 2 weeks, until April 15th.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-grandfather-87-beats-covid-19-as-his-family-thank-nhs-11964432

It would be nice to think that after this, the public will apprecaite NHS frontline staff, but I don't see it happening.
    Italy deaths have had their biggest ever number in one day - 919. This is going up, not down.

Jesus!
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Italy deaths have had their biggest ever number in one day - 919. This is going up, not down.

Jesus!

Well obviously the deaths numbers will be the last to slow down. Lombardy alone has 5400 casualties!

Good news in Lombardy is that numbers of hospitalizations and IC are gradually slowing down. Like today we have 200 hospitalized patients less than yesterday...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    But Italy are counting fatalities in a different way.
    We are counting every death caused or triggered by COVID. So even terminally ill patients... Lots of other countries are definitely not doing the same (like Germany).
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Italian members of the forum have already seen this, I'm sure.

This video is an excerpt from an Italian TV show from 2015. It tells a story about Chinese scientists doing experiments and possibly creating a new form of virus by combining an existing SARS virus and a protein taken from a bat.

The scientists said that this is not COVID 19, but it's interesting nonetheless.

But Italy are counting fatalities in a different way.

Phew! That's a relief then.

Panic over.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    TripAces wrote: »

Talk to Warren Zevon about it. http://www.alearned.com/terminal-cancer/ In the fall of 2002, upon learning he had terminal cancer, Warren was quoted as saying "I just want to live long enough to see the next James Bond movie." (He did -- "Die Another Day.")

I remember reading that story back in 2012! IIRC it was from a web article stating that "Bond will outlive us all!" Sadly Zevon died in 2003.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Edit: I originally said morgues, not hospitals!

Interestingly, here in New York City, they actually are building makeshift morgues in anticipation of the expected increase in deaths over the next few weeks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/us/makeshift-morgues-coronavirus-new-york/index.html
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    matt_u wrote: »
    We are counting every death caused or triggered by COVID. So even terminally ill patients... Lots of other countries are definitely not doing the same (like Germany).
    The virologists and officials from the Robert Koch Institute (a federal authority for the supervision and prevention of diseases) say otherwise. There are several factors that may contribute to the number of fatalities being comparatively low. One, Germany had an early start in identifying the epidemy and its victims, before there was a sizable number of casualties. Two, Germany has probably (like everyone else) not enough ICU beds with ventilators, but still even at the outset we had 25,000 of them, compared to 7,000 in France and 5,000 in Italy. No "triage" necessary so far. Three, we have a network of independent laboratories which according to the latest announcement is now able to process 500,000 tests a week, and has been busy to a somewhat lesser degree for the last two months or so. Four, the average patient is said to be considerably younger and otherwise more healthy than in other countries. More than seventy percent of the infected are between 20 and 50, leaving a lower percentage for the "risk groups".

When people go to a hospital, they are diagnosed (but not post-mortem). If Covid-19 is a factor, they will be counted a Sars-CoV2 victims. If they have been tested positive and have another possibly deadly disease and die suddenly while quarantined at home, there is good reason not to count them as Covid-19 victims, since if they had had severe symptoms, they would have been taken to the hospital rather than left in home quarantine. I think the number of those latter cases is statistically insignificant.

That being said, it is no reason to relax. The same virologists and epidemiologists insist that the worst is yet to come, and the total mortality will still go up considerably, though maybe not up to present Italian levels. A real comparison will only be possible once the real number of people infected has been determined. Maybe the actual infections in Italy amount to ten times the known cases so far (since many infected have no symptoms or none anyone worries about), and suddenly the real mortality rate is "only" one per cent and not ten. It's bad either way, but may be an explanation while the statistics between the countries differ so wildly.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Some good advice from the great Matt Lucas with his new version of the Baked Potato Song:

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

A fine piece of Bond history, that's exactly what came to my mind, @TripAces. Something to remember.

He also expressed it this way.

“I'm OK with it, but it'll be a drag if I don't make it
    until the next James Bond movie comes out.”
    8hQMK7jrjONhcyqyhmvjXZcHgmzm7DY5acznmGsml5xh41tHCamdiPi8_wBk0PD1q7oJf6HbDP5jghR_7FVYNVGKX-Ik7t5D09LocN_1iyBx6lDMkAGuOBsZxh-iZ4eenA

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    This isn't good https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/03/27/coronavirus-in-ny-video-shows-disturbing-crowded-hospital-er/amp/
    Big American cruise ship the Holland America stuck at sea I wonder how many more cruise ships are stuck out there?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2927031001
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    A near total lockdown in place here in Ireland. People only allowed out of their homes if working in an essential sector, for gathering essential supplies or for medical emergencies. All public gatherings of any number prohibited.

Over 2,000 confirmed cases here. 50% of them in the capital. Almost 400 of the cases are healthcare workers.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Non-Political. That's fairly hilarious at this point. Bond movies have been produced to be reasonably apolitical... for good reason. They remain, for the most part, a bit timeless for that fact. Recognizing reality is non-political; denying it is totally political in this day and age.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,009
    I feel quite blessed to live away from any major population centres. That said, my Dad was in the Irish Defence Forces for 30 years, now retired for 10. He's considering re-enlisting to help support the police and emergency services. That is the level we are at with regards personnel and supplies in many areas.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I can prove the Matrix effect in three sentences.

The World Health Organization hide the existence of coronavirus from the public. There can't be a cornavirus crisis if the world public don't know the virus exists. Ergo - no crisis.

That decision alters our perception of reality. No coronavirus - no panic - life is normal. The illusion of normality remains.

By allowing news to spread across the globe and the danger greatly manifested by a shameless news media - be it print, tv, radio, online - the crisis is widely exaggerated creating such hysteria that governments enact lockdowns and other restrictive polices that threaten the world economy.
    Wow. Denial is powerful. Tell your beliefs to Europe. Or is all media suspect? Am I suspect? Are YOU telling lies to YOURSELF?

"The Matrix Effect" is more likely to be true for the economic situation than for the medical situation. Money is only valuable because we tell ourselves, and each other, that these colorful little pieces of paper have value. If we stop believing that they have any value, they will lose their value. Simple as that.

Not so for the medical situation. If you get sick, you feel it. Can't tell yourself otherwise. When you die, brother, you're dead. SO: the Matrix Effect is more meaningful economically than medically. We can all stop worrying about the collapse of the world economy, and pay more attention to the medical professionals.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Removed several posts that are not contributing anything but arguing.
    @chrisisall by non-political we mean, that this thread will not become a Trump or Boris bashing thread due to their actions. Or digress into a political discussion away from the Covid-19 crisis.
    Mistakes will be made, thousands of people are advising and updating our world leaders at this unprecedented time. But we will overcome this.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,548

A fine piece of Bond history, that's exactly what came to my mind, @TripAces. Something to remember.

He also expressed it this way.

“I'm OK with it, but it'll be a drag if I don't make it
    until the next James Bond movie comes out.”
    8hQMK7jrjONhcyqyhmvjXZcHgmzm7DY5acznmGsml5xh41tHCamdiPi8_wBk0PD1q7oJf6HbDP5jghR_7FVYNVGKX-Ik7t5D09LocN_1iyBx6lDMkAGuOBsZxh-iZ4eenA

Hilarious. I had no idea. I was trying to be ironic, of course. If I'm gone, I can't be angry about it. In any case, I have no plans. LOL