Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It would be utterly ridiculous to assume that statistical updates on a daily basis are not, somehow, inherently tied to a thread like this. I don't see what the objections could possibly be about. It's a hard and unpleasant truth we're dealing with here, but for once, it is an undisputed truth!

Anyone willing to run away from that, should probably avoid this thread, the News, papers--in fact, all media. But "ignorance is bliss" really doesn't hold up these days. This isn't about "sleeping well at night"; this is about understanding what's going on, about facing the facts and about taking the matter seriously.

Furthermore, I would like to take this opportunity and thank @DaltonCraig007 and others who continue to provide us with the numbers.

Here, here!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2020 Posts: 2,541
    It would be utterly ridiculous to assume that statistical updates on a daily basis are not, somehow, inherently tied to a thread like this. I don't see what the objections could possibly be about. It's a hard and unpleasant truth we're dealing with here, but for once, it is an undisputed truth!

Anyone willing to run away from that, should probably avoid this thread, the News, papers--in fact, all media. But "ignorance is bliss" really doesn't hold up these days. This isn't about "sleeping well at night"; this is about understanding what's going on, about facing the facts and about taking the matter seriously.

Furthermore, I would like to take this opportunity and thank @DaltonCraig007 and others who continue to provide us with the numbers.

I don't agree with this, mostly we are discussing news about death, i am not saying we shouldn't but why discuss only about who have died? why aren't we discussing about how many lives have been saved? Why aren't we discussing some precautionary measures and the countries who have tackled it well. Did anyone actually bother to talk about that, it's very negative to simply discuss about how many died. I guess i am guilty of that as well.
    You absolutely can, and should, talk about it. The two lines of thought can co-exist.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    The CDC is putting out a travel advisory for three states new York Connecticut and new Jersey banning domestic travel for non essential people https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/29/health/us-coronavirus-wrap-sunday/index.html
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,542

I don't agree with this, mostly we are discussing news about death, i am not saying we shouldn't but why discuss only about who have died? why aren't we discussing about how many lives have been saved? Why aren't we discussing some precautionary measures and the countries who have tackled it well. Did anyone actually bother to talk about that, it's very negative to simply discuss about how many died. I guess i am guilty of that as well.

The problem with that is that the stats about the actual deaths are more reliable than those dealing with the cured. Many people have Corona but hardly experience any symptoms. Many stay at home when they're ill and are under no obligation whatsoever to report being cured.

Also, while good news is important -- many of my posts in this thread try to bring a positive perspective -- it's the death toll that motivates people to stay home, make useful contributions; it's what urges leaders to take matters seriously (though many of them far too late and still minimalizing matters, e.g. by stating that it'll all be over soon even before it has begun.)

Death stats may be very unpleasant, I agree, but right now, we need them. The world will not find relief until those numbers are in decline. It's in our nature to focus on the bad, and for once, I won't fight that. Like it or not, those numbers will keep us sharp, though I admit that they will also cause fatalism, depression and doomsday thinking. So in that sense, I agree that we should, as much as possible, keep track of the number of cured people too, but with the caveat that those are far less reliable--but then in a good way; they are typically underestimations.
  • Anyone willing to run away from that, should probably avoid this thread, the News, papers--in fact, all media. But "ignorance is bliss" really doesn't hold up these days. This isn't about "sleeping well at night"; this is about understanding what's going on, about facing the facts and about taking the matter seriously.

I'm not being ignorant, or trying to run away from the news. I'm taking this very seriously - one of my closest friends (27 years old, the same age as me) has cystic fibrosis so he has to stay inside for 12 weeks. I just don't see how posting figures and following updates from alarmist news sources (especially in the UK - Channel 4 News are practically apocalyptic in their tone talking about it) helps anyone. I just get tired and depressed hearing about it all the time - all other news might as well not exist at the moment. All we can do is try to get through each day as best as we can and try to look on the bright side of things - this will pass (Avenue Q's 'For Now' comes to mind).
  • I don't agree with this, mostly we are discussing news about death, i am not saying we shouldn't but why discuss only about who have died? why aren't we discussing about how many lives have been saved? Why aren't we discussing some precautionary measures and the countries who have tackled it well. Did anyone actually bother to talk about that, it's very negative to simply discuss about how many died. I guess i am guilty of that as well.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

The problem with that is that the stats about the actual deaths are more reliable than those dealing with the cured. Many people have Corona but hardly experience any symptoms. Many stay at home when they're ill and are under no obligation whatsoever to report being cured.

Also, while good news is important -- many of my posts in this thread try to bring a positive perspective -- it's the death toll that motivates people to stay home, make useful contributions; it's what urges leaders to take matters seriously (though many of them far too late and still minimalizing matters, e.g. by stating that it'll all be over soon even before it has begun.)

Death stats may be very unpleasant, I agree, but right now, we need them. The world will not find relief until those numbers are in decline. It's in our nature to focus on the bad, and for once, I won't fight that. Like it or not, those numbers will keep us sharp, though I admit that they will also cause fatalism, depression and doomsday thinking. So in that sense, I agree that we should, as much as possible, keep track of the number of cured people too, but with the caveat that those are far less reliable--but then in a good way; they are typically underestimations.

Agreed, in full. It's good to be positive, but it's also important to have more than one foot in reality.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 871
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The problem with that is that the stats about the actual deaths are more reliable than those dealing with the cured.
    Yes, this is the only rock-solid data we are getting at the moment.
    Let me also mention that I've been a smoker all my adult life- not big time, lites & not fully inhaling- more of a habit than a full-on addiction... well this virus has scared me into quitting cold turkey. Better part of a month now. If I'm gonna go a round or two with this virus (which it looks like eventually I will), I'll need to begin with 100% lung function.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Every bit of positive news is great.
    Nice to see some news that’s not all apocalyptic. Uk press conference says life won’t return to normal for 6 months. To be honest, I’d take that now. Seems optimistic, and will be a Long hard 6 months for sure but at times it feels like this will be forever.

My consolation is that no pandemic in history has been forever.

Stay safe stay home fellow bond fans.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 4,600
    Open wide.............."In Georgia, while the church has told worshippers not to spend long periods of time in churches and not to come if ill, it has rejected calls to abandon the reusing of spoons, claiming that as communion is a holy ceremony it is not possible to get ill during it."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/church-goers-around-the-world-ignore-social-distance-advice
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A friend sent me this regarding Corona:

"Timendi causa est nescire.
    The cause of fear is ignorance.
    — Seneca"

I haven't responded yet. I'm not sure whether I agree with him on these matters. The ignorant seem less frightened than those who keep up with the latest news, who have brushed up their "virology for dummies", who have been looking into the mechanics of it all...

What does the room think about this?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Tough to say @DarthDimi. I guess it is question of balance.

To paraphrase something that astronauts often say:

“If you are scared witless, you aren’t going to be able to do your job effectively. But if you’re not apprehensive about what you’ve about to do, if means that you don’t really understand what is happening.”

I would say, that the more informed you are, the better prepared you are to weigh the risks and take steps to minimize them. Without being too political (😊), what concerns me are not those that attempt to understand the situation and are fearful. Instead, it is those that deliberately choose to remain ignorant, and then resort to irrational or misleading pronouncements and place others at undue risk.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,469
    @RogerJonMoorePertwee and @Resurrection, I appreciate some of your recent comments, though I haven't read many previous pages. Roger, you said "more people have recovered from COVID-19 than have died from it". This is true, very important to remember, and excellent news. Of course, every loss of life is tragic and sad--I'm thankful I haven't known anyone yet who's succumbed to Covid-19.

Here's how I see it. Some people are naturally more concerned with the deaths etc. and caring for people's lives. Others of us (myself included) are at this time more naturally concerned with focusing on the future, how we get back to normal. Both views are needed. Sometimes you find an equal balance in a person, but as we see here a person can be more on one side of the issue or the other. We're all needed in this regard. But I agree we need to look ahead, because what's happening now is not normal. I feel like some of us need to stay objective and not get overly concerned about all the bad things happening, though they may impact us in real ways, emotionally and mentally at times in various ways.

In CR, didn't M suggest to Bond that he should keep his eye on the big picture? A good question, how do you think Bond would function in such a crisis as this. And what would M say to Bond about it.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I believe fear comes from misunderstanding, usually (the more we’re able to understand something, the less we need to be afraid of it), and that the difference between bravery and foolishness is fear; those who are brave have it, and those who are foolish do not.
    It is foolish to have no fear whatsoever of the virus and continue with life as if it doesn’t exist, so it is reasonable to be afraid of it.
    However, we don’t have to let our fear of it cripple us. The more we learn about and understand the virus, the clearer it is what we need to do to curb it and bring it to heel, and the sooner we all do those things, the sooner we can get past it.
    One unintended consequence of COVID-19 has been the return of something I haven't seen since the seventies : School TV. A few (public) channels have started to offer classes by TV, on select hours, instead of cartoons. So you can learn calculus and grammar, science, history and geography, all in the comfort of your own living room. It happens in France, and probably in other countries as well.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Helmut Marko, the Red Bull team boss in Formula One, has said he told drivers to deliberately get infected from coronavirus during the current F1 season's hiatus.

"They are all strong young men in good health. That way they would be prepared whenever the action starts."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52091905
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Some good news: during the last four weeks the region of Lombardy has more than doubled its IC beds. From 724 to 1600. Within the next couple of weeks they will even increase thanks to the new hospital in Milan funded by Berlusconi. Now in the region there are even 300 vacant IC beds ready to be used if needed. They did an incredible job also given the crazy tragic nature of the emergency in this particular region. Also, it looks like Lombardy has now surpassed the peak.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 5,806
    Seems like some people have watched McGuyver : doctors in Belgium have started to use snorkeling masks by a famous french sporting goods store as makeshift respirators :

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,969
    COEeZX9.jpg
    Armed with my trusty thermometer here in New Orleans; Remember, wash your hands, frequently, don't touch your face. If you have to go out give each other a wide berth and if you call for medical assistance, be upfront with the first responders if you are experiencing symptoms; don't wait until you are with a doctor.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    @talos7. Hope you and your family are safe. Here in New York, we expect the next 2 weeks are so to be very bad. Hopefully, after mid-April, things will "peak" and we'll be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    @Dwayne thanks! I am a frequent visitor to New York, what a great city; following Hurricane Katrina I had the privilege of working side by side with members of the FDNY who came down to lend a hand.
    Like every great challenge and threat, this will be dealt with and shall pass.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 13,006
    talos7 wrote: »
    Armed with my trusty thermometer here in New Orleans; Remember, wash your hands, frequently, don't touch your face. If you have to go out give each other a wide berth and if you call for medical assistance, be upfront with the first responders if you are experiencing symptoms; don't wait until you are with a doctor.
    Stop touching my ear? All best to you, @talos7!

LOL! :D Thanks @RichardTheBruce !
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).

Spain & Italy both recorded over 800 deaths today. France, the UK and the US are recording 300+ deaths daily. Iran and the Netherlands are recording over 150 deaths on a daily basis.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    https://www.euromomo.eu/slices/map_2017_2020.html

Mortality rates. Drag your pointer over the blue timeline below to compare over the last three years.