Movie Soundtracks (NOT Bond) - Old & New Films (chat)

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited September 2022 Posts: 6,724
    I wish there was a better recording of this Enter the Dragon suite. I enjoy the whole track but especially the main theme at 3:38. At 4:08, the harmonies are played in block chords (by the strings), unlike in the film version, where there is just the melody and the bassline. It sounds great, very dramatic, very Bondian too! A Schifrin Bond score would have been so cool to have.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Since the earliest of age I have loved this chase theme from Return of the Pink Panther. This scene and theme directly leads into this...

Mancini was great at shifting tone within his score, the above track is pretty funky and a great excuse to show this awesome scene :))

Marathon Man brilliant film, very ominous music, the start of the theme is very similar to The Parralax View.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I agree @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I love that Pink Panther chase theme too. There's something Bondian about it. Also, the music in the club, is also good.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 6,724
    I love those tracks from Return of the Pink Panther. @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

I'm mesmerized by @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷'s username. Secret Agent Man to the 007th power. Losing access to the old account lead to something good after all.

---

Edit: I was listening to the Return album the other day. I love the whole album but my favorite tracks at the moment are these:

I love the exquisite bell-like sound of the melody on The Greatest Gift. I'm not sure what's playing it. Celesta and a Rhodes piano maybe?

Hopefully Quartet Records will release an expanded album of this score someday, as they have done with several other Panther films.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 1,368
    Thanks @mattjoes :) Yeah, I agree as well. Mancini really went Bondian with the Pink Panther score. I love it!
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited September 2022 Posts: 652
    John Barry's score for The Black Hole is one of my personal favorites. It's alternately epic and eerie, and a worthy rival to Williams' work on the Star Wars series from this time.

Yeah, great score too @slide_99 I own it too.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    slide_99 wrote: »
    John Barry's score for The Black Hole is one of my personal favorites. It's alternately epic and eerie, and a worthy rival to Williams' work on the Star Wars series from this time.

One of the first soundtracks I ever purchased. Fantastic score!
    Been thinking of Pacino a lot lately. I think this is my favorite of his movies, and I discovered it relatively late. Gotta watch it again. Trevor Jones did the music.

Love the main title music, with the seedy sax and the synth strings.

The musical idea heard at 1:07 in this next track appears multiple times in the score. I love how they keep adding higher brass notes on top to thicken the harmonies and make the mood more dangerous and suspenseful. And then the jazzy sax at 1:36. Chef's kiss.

And this, with the awesome and guttural voice of Tom Waits, plays at the end of the film:

mattjoes wrote: »
    Been thinking of Pacino a lot lately. I think this is my favorite of his movies, and I discovered it relatively late. Gotta watch it again. Trevor Jones did the music.

The musical idea heard at 1:07 in this next track appears multiple times in the score. I love how they keep adding higher brass notes on top to thicken the harmonies and make the mood more dangerous and suspenseful. And then the jazzy sax at 1:36. Chef's kiss.

And this, with the awesome and guttural voice of Tom Waits, plays at the end of the film:

Great film. It was Pacino's comeback film after a hiatus. Ellen Barkin also great in the film having electric chemistry with Pacino.

Great film. It was Pacino's comeback film after a hiatus. Ellen Barkin also great in the film having electric chemistry with Pacino.
    Agreed.

---

Someone was mentioning Le Carré in another thread. It's TV, not movies, but I love this theme from Smiley's People. The synths are so subtly and tastefully integrated with the strings. The mood is complex-- somber, yet cathartic. Brilliant title sequence, too.

The full soundtrack album, featuring this theme in higher quality, is happily available on Spotify. It only had a vinyl release back in the day, as far as I know.

Patrick Gowers also composed the theme for the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series.

Howard Shore's fine music for Looking for Richard.

I love the main title music of The Tailor of Panama, especially at 1:30. Full of passion. Love how there's a guitar on each side of the mix.

I'm going to listen to the whole score.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Great Train Robbery | Jerry Goldsmith

Unmistakable sound of Jerry goldsmith, fantastic theme.

---
    I love the main title music of The Tailor of Panama, especially at 1:30. Full of passion. Love how there's a guitar on each side of the mix.

Great piece of music made me think of warmer weather, we have had a lot of snow recently.

Very catchy. I have tried to watch this film on two occasions and only got a few minutes into it. But I don't hold it against the movie (yet), because it had the misfortune of being affected by outside factors that impeded my viewings. One of these days, the third and last attempt will take place.

Great piece of music made me think of warmer weather, we have had a lot of snow recently.
    Meanwhile, here, in the bottom half of the world, I'm dying from the high temperatures.

---

I listened to this album a few hours ago. Ennio Morricone's score for ¡Átame! shares quite a few similarities with his music for Frantic, a film that was released the year before. The synths and muted horns occasionally used to striking effect, the melancholic flugelhorn, the ethereal and "meandering" string harmonies in certain parts, the rhythmic piano figures, etc. Apart from certain melodies and harmonies which reminded of Frantic, one theme (heard in El pueblo deshabitado, among other tracks) instantly made me think of his unused score for What Dreams May Come.

The music has a quirky, sometimes lyrical, often unsettling vibe, befitting the quirky, sometimes lyrical, often unsettling nature of the story. And it's so rich and detailed, not boring for a single moment. It's colorful, much like the movie's cinematography. My favorite cuts are probably El pueblo deshabitado and Cuento infantil.

The Great Train Robbery is a fun caper, Sir Sean is in suave Bond mode and there is some good humor.

---

Very catchy. I have tried to watch this film on two occasions and only got a few minutes into it. But I don't hold it against the movie (yet), because it had the misfortune of being affected by outside factors that impeded my viewings. One of these days, the third and last attempt will take place.

Meanwhile, here, in the bottom half of the world, I'm dying from the high temperatures.

---

I listened to this album a few hours ago. Ennio Morricone's score for ¡Átame! shares quite a few similarities with his music for Frantic, a film that was released the year before. The synths and muted horns occasionally used to striking effect, the melancholic flugelhorn, the ethereal and "meandering" string harmonies in certain parts, the rhythmic piano figures, etc. Apart from certain melodies and harmonies which reminded of Frantic, one theme (heard in El pueblo deshabitado, among other tracks) instantly made me think of his unused score for What Dreams May Come.

The music has a quirky, sometimes lyrical, often unsettling vibe, befitting the quirky, sometimes lyrical, often unsettling nature of the story. And it's so rich and detailed, not boring for a single moment. It's colorful, much like the movie's cinematography. My favorite cuts are probably El pueblo deshabitado and Cuento infantil.

I have not heard Morricone's ¡Átame! score previously I have not seen the film. Noche Urbana reminded me of Lalo Schifrin, I liked that piece of music.

Frantic was great, I am big fan of that film.

Revisiting First Blood last night, I was reminded just how good Jerry Goldsmiths score is.
    Revisiting First Blood last night, I was reminded just how good Jerry Goldsmiths score is.

Tremendous score for a terrific thriller. The sequels dont come anywhere near! Saw it in the cinema originally, and if still holds up well!
    Director Ted Kotcheff was in the running to do Daltons proposed 3rd Bond. Would have been interesting, had it happened
  • Mathis1 wrote: »

Tremendous score for a terrific thriller. The sequels dont come anywhere near! Saw it in the cinema originally, and if still holds up well!
    Director Ted Kotcheff was in the running to do Daltons proposed 3rd Bond. Would have been interesting, had it happened
    Actually I heard that Ted Kotcheff was considered for Octopussy. Which would have been just a year after his surprise hit First Blood.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 6,724
    The Great Train Robbery is a fun caper, Sir Sean is in suave Bond mode and there is some good humor.

---

---

I have not heard Morricone's ¡Átame! score previously I have not seen the film. Noche Urbana reminded me of Lalo Schifrin, I liked that piece of music.

Frantic was great, I am big fan of that film.

Good call, Noche urbana would not feel out of place in a film like Sudden Impact.

I love Frantic too. Top-notch picture.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,337
    The Man With The Golden Arm - Frankie Machine

I had this on tape a long time ago, one of the first Elmer Bernstein score's I listened to.

Great theme, so cool.

Great theme, so cool.

I agree @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I think Mancini always had the Bond style in him.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,337

Great theme, so cool.

Sophisticated and suave themes.

Great theme, so cool.

Sophisticated and suave themes.

Precisely.

Great theme, so cool.

Good film too! Gets overshadowed by 'Charade' methinks, but imo Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren as as good a team as Hepburn and Grant
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Great theme, so cool.

Good film too! Gets overshadowed by 'Charade' methinks, but imo Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren as as good a team as Hepburn and Grant

Is it the same sort of film what's it called?

Great theme, so cool.

Is it the same sort of film what's it called?

Eh, 'Arabesque'!
    Yes, similar type of adventure, mystery, action, lighthearted!

Great theme, so cool.

True, admittedly I have seen Charade hundreds of time and Arabesque maybe twice its never on TV.

Great theme, so cool.

True, admittedly I have seen Charade hundreds of time and Arabesque maybe twice its never on TV.

I have both on dvd. Actually tend to watch 'Arabesque ' more! Love Gregory Peck