Movie Soundtracks (NOT Bond) - Old & New Films (chat)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2022 Posts: 23,327
    Remix
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Not a great film adaptation of the novel but the I love the score. Have yet to see the new film.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited May 2022 Posts: 6,722
    Watched An Unmarried Woman, a fine film, a few weeks ago. This piece immediately caught my attention. By Bill Conti. Love the bass, of course, and the celli at 2:09. Music fits the scene like a glove.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,327
    The Batman Official Soundtrack | Hoarding School - Michael Giacchino

One of the best composers in recent times IMO.

No Good Deed (from "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Soundtrack) - Michael Giacchino

So many moments of genius.

Arc Reactor (from "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Soundtrack)

A few Bondian moments in this one which remind me of QoS: Perla De Las Dunas. This is just a great piece of music it has echoes of Herrmann.

...Talking of Herrmann, amazing...
    The Day the Earth Stood Still - Prelude - Outer Space - Radar 1951

Herrmann was a pioneer an absolute genius that helped revolutionize music in film.

What a tune.
    Lalo Schifrin - The Four Musketeers - "Main Titles"

Lalo Schifrin - The Four Musketeers - Tracks 3 & 4

Lalo Schifrin - The Four Musketeers - Milady's Theme

Echoes of Morricone.

Brilliant score to a brilliant film, the finale is incredible.
    ---
    Legrand did a great job on the first film...

The Three Musketeers (1973)[Soundtrack]

5:48 NSNA springs to mind.
    Nice to hear a more symphonic style from Lalo. I especially like the woodwind sections.

---

I haven't seen the movie or even listened to that much of the score, but I love the instrumentation of Jerry Goldsmith's music for Mr. Baseball.

In this track, you've got the jazzy/bluesy bass line and piano representing the west, the shakuhachi representing the east, and the organ representing baseball. Fitting for the story of an American baseball player who travels to Japan.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=p5ubFU8xVQg&t=758s
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Nice to hear a more symphonic style from Lalo. I especially like the woodwind sections.

---

I haven't seen the movie or even listened to that much of the score, but I love the instrumentation of Jerry Goldsmith's music for Mr. Baseball.

In this track, you've got the jazzy/bluesy bass line and piano representing the west, the shakuhachi representing the east, and the organ representing baseball. Fitting for the story of an American baseball player who travels to Japan.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=p5ubFU8xVQg&t=758s

Mr Baseball was for me Lalo meets Randy Newman in some aspect of the score, its a film I have never seen.

The Four Musketeers was one of my early film memory's it incidentally was released the year I was born. Its one of the films that got me into Film scores and classical music.
    GAME OF DEATH - Main Title / Set Fight with Chuck Norris - John Barry

I have always loved this score, it has a few Bond nods. 2:50 Connery Bond pops into my head.

GAME OF DEATH - Three Motorcycles / Stick Fight with Santo

1:53 pure Bond.
    Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - Stealing The Enterprise. James Horner

A great piece of music from one of my favorite scores. I must have listened to this thousands of times.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - Klingons

3:20 Phenomenal.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

A great piece of music from one of my favorite scores. I must have listened to this thousands of times.

'Stealing the Enterprise' is indeed a great track on a splendid soundtrack. But I still prefer Horner's Wrath of Khan soundtrack....

'Stealing the Enterprise' is indeed a great track on a splendid soundtrack. But I still prefer Horner's Wrath of Khan soundtrack....

Agree, Search for Spock was a great expansion of Wrath of Khan.
    Out of Africa - John Barry
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,327
    John Barry - Midnight Cowboy (1981)

This is amazing.

This is amazing.
    I don't know how this works. It says 1981, but the track appears to be the exact same one that came in the 1969 soundtrack album. Does this mean the player is just mimicking playing the harmonica? It doesn't sound any different from the album track. I had seen the video before and wondered about all this.

---

A couple of faves from the soundtrack of The Fugitive:

The last 30 seconds (4:31 onwards) are as exhilarating as the scene they accompany. The low horns, quickly moving up and down a semitone, sound like a swarm of bees, which fits the threat of the incoming train. The metal clank also fits its mechanical nature.

The brass phrase on top begins with two notes (pause) then three (pause) then four and then it starts to repeat and move upwards in pitch with added instruments. The bit played on low horns is also doubled by violins. And then the whole thing climaxes with those four notes on high trumpets. Fantastic stuff.

I especially love the part at 1:20; rhythmically, it's so pleasing to the ear. The violas and celli at the bottom. The synth pad in the playing sixteenth notes. The piano on top. The ambient synth in the background. A bit of percussion. And then the flutes that join in.

Generally speaking, I like the jazz-tinged somberness of the score.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,327

This is amazing.
    I don't know how this works. It says 1981, but the track appears to be the exact same one that came in the 1969 soundtrack album. Does this mean the player is just mimicking playing the harmonica? It doesn't sound any different from the album track. I had seen the video before and wondered about all this.

---

The last 30 seconds (4:31 onwards) are as exhilarating as the scene they accompany. The low horns, quickly moving up and down a semitone, sound like a swarm of bees, which fits the threat of the incoming train. The metal clank also fits its mechanical nature.

The brass phrase on top begins with two notes (pause) then three (pause) then four and then it starts to repeat and move upwards in pitch with added instruments. The bit played on low horns is also doubled by violins. And then the whole thing climaxes with those four notes on high trumpets. Fantastic stuff.

I especially love the part at 1:20; rhythmically, it's so pleasing to the ear. The violas and celli at the bottom. The synth pad in the playing sixteenth notes. The piano on top. The ambient synth in the background. A bit of percussion. And then the flutes that join in.

The date on the Midnight Cowboy video is likely wrong, often when I post a track on here I just cut and paste which ever title is attached to the YouTube video with little thought lol
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I love that soundtrack for The Fugitive. Howard's style changed a lot over time but that is definitely one of my favourites of his.

This is amazing.

---

The date on the Midnight Cowboy video is likely wrong, often when I post a track on here I just cut and paste which ever title is attached to the YouTube video with little thought lol
    It's great music!

I have a harder time estimating the production year of television footage than, say, films. This looks plausibly like 1981 to me. Could be '69 too but I think it looks a tad too "crisp" to me (I don't mean literally crisp, I just don't know how to put it into words).

Still, the harmonica player is just mimicking, or maybe he played for real, but we don't hear it in the video. The harmonica and everything else is exactly the same as in the album track. Furthermore, there are no musicians with him.

I understand the OST features Toots Thielemans on harmonica, and the man in the video isn't him.

I wonder why they did this. Maybe they wanted to have a "live" performance but couldn't afford it, and they figured most people wouldn't notice that the audio is taken from the album. Or maybe they didn't care.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 6,722
    My man Elmer Bernstein was capable of conjuring up musical magic. And a fine rendition by this Spanish orchestra. Some of the Fimucité versions I've heard of film themes are also fantastic. Spain sure loves its film music, it seems.

Favorite bit: 2:11.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    My man Elmer Bernstein was capable of conjuring up musical magic.

I see the conductor wears a magician s outfit as well, and I bet that is a magic wand in his hand.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 6,722

I see the conductor wears a magician s outfit as well, and I bet that is a magic wand in his hand.

I know! When he's not conducting orchestras, he's escaping from the Matrix.

---

Harold Faltemeyer did such a great job on the Fletch and Beverly Hills Cop films. Also Thief of Hearts. Highly melody-driven, very catchy, very cool scores. Very moody at times.

Fletch Lives:

(before the score was officially released, someone on YouTube did a longer version of the main title theme that's just fantastic)

Beverly Hills Cop:

Thief of Hearts:

My favorite cue from the original Fletch score is when Fletch is in the (semi-)abandoned house where he explains to the uncooperative watchman that he is from the mattress police. Unfortunately officially unreleased, but begins at 0:49 in this video:

I haven't even listened to the Top Gun score, except for the main title music in the sequel, that I think is by him. That theme was nice too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I know! When he's not conducting orchestras, he's escaping from the Matrix.

Does he do ENeo Morricone?
    Love this score by ENeo Morricone. Friggin' fantastic.

The main theme is so beautiful and sad. I consider it a cousin of the theme of Le marginal.

These two tracks, especially the first one, evoke a very urban and nocturnal mood. The music is mysterious, and a bit loose and amorphous, as if you were walking from one street to another, encountering different sights and sounds. Also, certain melodies are clouded by other sounds and harmonies, as if you were looking at something in the middle of the night and couldn't quite make out what it is, because it's covered in darkness.

Beverly Hills Cop @mattjoes I have on CD great Album.

Some cool scores by Harold Faltemeye, I was a big Chevy Chase fan back in the 80's had all his films on VHS.

I had that Fletch Lives poster which was a take on Gone with the Wind.

Some cool scores by Harold Faltemeye, I was a big Chevy Chase fan back in the 80's had all his films on VHS.

I've still got a few Chevy Chase films I want to see. I've seen like seven.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,327

I highly recommend Foul Play its a gem of a movie one of my favorites.

Foul Play Soundtrack: Get me to the Opera on Time/ Charles Fox

I haven't seen that one. That's such a fun piece of music! Apart from this, I only know Charles Fox from The Laughing Policeman. I don't think that film had a soundtrack release, but there's a catchy piece of music that plays during a montage, in which the cops played by Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern are on the streets interrogating people.

I haven't seen that one. That's such a fun piece of music! Apart from this, I only know Charles Fox from The Laughing Policeman. I don't think that film had a soundtrack release, but there's a catchy piece of music that plays during a montage, in which the cops played by Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern are on the streets interrogating people.

The end of Foul Play is anarchic similar to a Pink Panther film ending.

Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern I am a big fan of, not sure if I have seen that team will have to look for it. Speaking of Bruce Dern...