Movie Soundtracks (NOT Bond) - Old & New Films (chat)

Comments

Some great posts here, thanks

McQuarrie was asked last week via Twitter - who is the most valuable character in the history of Mission Impossible?

"Lalo Schifrin"
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Black Hole Theme - John Barry

Absolutely love this score! It was the first soundtrack LP I ever bought. Way back in 1982! It was on the Pickwick label!

I am pretty sure I had a toy of one of the robots from The Black Hole mixed amongst all my Star Wars toys back then, the film helped set the tone in a way for many 80's movies in the following decade. Like another poster mentioned Barry does space well.

I had the Ernest Borgnine figure 😄

But yes, Barry does space very well. The film itself has not aged well, but it still looks fantastic for its age 👍

I rewatched The Black Hole 3 or 4 years ago, i did enjoy it though much of that because of nostalgia, i agree it does look a bit dated now.
    patb wrote: »
    Some great posts here, thanks

McQuarrie was asked last week via Twitter - who is the most valuable character in the history of Mission Impossible?

"Lalo Schifrin"

Lalo's theme just sets the tone for the whole M:I premise. The theme I listen to regularly on my Schifrin playlist I put together, its fantastic...

My favourite movie reworking of the theme...
    Mission: Impossible Fallout Theme [Extended] by Lorne Balfe

Some real power in this version.

Lorne Balfe - Steps Ahead

...and this is a great call back to the original show.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2021 Posts: 23,327
    First Knight- Arthur's Farewell - Jerry Goldsmith

---
    Excalibur OST - The Death of Arthur - Trevor Jones

Amazing! 02.30

Excalibur OST - Percival

'What is the secret of the Grail, whom does it serve?' Epic!

Another great theme by Lalo Schifrin.
  • AntonioDeRoseAntonioDeRose Australia
    I really like the Mission: Impossible Fallout Theme soundtrack

Great score one of my favourites from the series.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I prefer Ghost Protocol but Fallout has a great score too.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I prefer Ghost Protocol but Fallout has a great score too.
    GP probably my third favourite, M:I 3 just beats it into second, both great scores. I often listen to Out for a Run from GP...

---

Midnight Cowboy

Great version of the theme.
  • DawiidDawiid USA
    edited June 2021 Posts: 1
    I really like Ennio's Morricone soundtracks in his Dollar Trilogy. True masterpiece. And the movies were amazing. Clint Eastwood's work amazed me when I was a kid, so he's still my favorite actor of all time. I liked the plot of this movie and the "wild west" atmosphere created in the scenes. I watched these movies through Moviebox which I downloaded at apkdojo.com quite fast. You know, I like Clint but haven't watched all his movies yet. I think it's time to fix this.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dawiid wrote: »
    I really like Ennio's Morricone soundtracks in his Dollar Trilogy. True masterpiece.

Who doesn t like the theme from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? It doesn t get more moody or exciting than that.
    Ecstasy of Gold from TGTBATU is an amazing track.

I listened to this score a lot in my youth.
    Yes, it is all terrific.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited July 2021 Posts: 6,724
    This compressed version is all I could find on YouTube, but here's Howard Shore's title music for the 1994 film Nobody's Fool, directed by Robert Benton and starring Paul Newman. A lovely little film, and piece of music!

Here's a sample in higher quality from the La La Land Records website:

http://johndadlez.com/MP3/NobodysFool/NF-01.mp3
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,327
    Stargate Overture

Entering the Stargate

Mastadge Drag

Great score from David Arnold, I was a huge fan of the TV show also when it aired.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mark Kermode's Scala Radio show from this past Saturday is worth a listen: it's an Abbey Road special and he talks to an ex-engineer and media manager from Abbey Road about the stories of various soundtracks which have been recorded there over the years including Raiders, Return of the Jedi, Lord of the Rings, Brazil, First Blood etc. It's a good show with some interesting stories.
    He even does a little comparison between the openings of the first three Star Wars films to show how the Abbey Road recording adds quite a bit to the sound.

Available for the next couple of days: https://planetradio.co.uk/scala-radio/player/178306669/
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Thread moved to more appropriate section.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 6,724
    I wanted to showcase the work of someone who has been slowly becoming one of my favorite composers: Randy Edelman. I find his music warm, vivid, and at times stately.

This piece is from the recently released score of Ghostbusters II, an album that should have come out back in 1989 but for whatever reason didn't. Edelman's score, while vastly different from Elmer Bernstein's, is highly enjoyable in its own right. This next piece offers a beautiful theme played on strings and woodwinds (at 0:51), which leads into a rousing, heroic swell at 1:35. The string runs at 3:07 are a typical Edelman touch in action scenes.

This is another piece of the same score. I enjoy the catchy synth theme at 1:00, layered with warm harmonies played on strings. And I flat out love the unused orchestral version of the Ghostbusters theme at 1:35, especially the conclusion from 1:47 to 1:55, which has a stately and emotional quality. It's even a bit Barryesque in the way it winds down.

One last piece from the score. This one is an expanded version of a light, catchy piano theme heard briefly in the film.

This is a track from Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. I believe it was used in trailers during the 90s. Very inspirational.

This is a romantic piece from the film The Mask. It speaks for itself-- absolutely gorgeous. There is a second theme at 2:08, delightful as well. I adore how it resolves from 2:23 to the end, especially the horn and trombone phrase. This film is stocked to the brim with great music, both in terms of the score and the songs.

This piece from The Mask also deserves attention, particularly the part from 0:58 to the end.

Edelman's theme from Daylight has a very simple rising-and-falling melody setting against a changing harmonic background. It captures both the neverending traffic of the tunnel in which most of the film is set, as well as the urgency of rescuing the survivors of the explosion. I like the added guitars at 2:00 and that low pitch-bended note at 2:09.

I love the part from 1:22 onwards in this next track, particularly that rising phrase at 1:44. There is something very effective about that phrase being so fast in comparison to what came immediately before.

This next piece is fantastic. Those short string notes add a great deal to it. They give it a lyrical quality. One of the first pieces by Edelman that I remember noticing.

This track from Edelman's score for Anaconda begins with a menacing theme augmented with subtle synths. It is followed by a lovely theme for pan flute and strings, evocative of the Amazon setting. The tense music in the second half once again features some fast string runs. I like how Edelman scores action scenes. His action music is neatly structured and has enough melody in it for my taste.

This track from Shanghai Noon accompanies Jackie Chan crossing the mountains while heading for Carson City. I remember this music got my attention the very first time I watched this film. I like the Chinese-sounding instrumentation.

• SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I always liked the score to Shanghai Noon - a very nice fusion of East meets Western. I thought this track in particular was great - a bit of everything - things even sound a bit Bondy part-way through.

Talking of which I also quite enjoy his xXx score, more than the film itself.
    That's true, there is a bit of Bond to that track. I enjoy it. I also like that opening "Western" bit.

I haven't listened to the xXx score. I'll get around to it.
    Randy Edelman has a good catalogue of work, I was a fan of Dragon when it was released, great theme. I had the first Ghostbusters album on tape I don't think I bought the second.

Showing my age I watched most of those films at the cinema including The Mask, it was a big deal at the time.
    That must have been a fun experience, watching The Mask on the big screen. Especially that Cuban Pete scene!

Shame that it took so long for the score of Ghostbusters II to get a release, but at least it finally happened. I believe Randy Edelman talked about the reasons in an interview but I don't remember what he said. It's an old fashioned album: not in sequence and with plenty of joined cues. But the music is great.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 646
    Randy Edelman is also responsible for the 80s MacGyver theme!!
    Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-daaaa... da-daaa...daaa...
    Randy Edelman is also responsible for the 80s MacGyver theme!!
    Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-daaaa... da-daaa...daaa...

I had forgotten about that. Great theme, incredibly exciting!

I completely loved this movie; I finished watching it today. The music adds so much to it. To some extent, it takes away from the suspense, something which could be easily thought of as detrimental, but in fact it's terrific, as it allows us to look at the film in a different, slightly more relaxed way. And the choice of only using piano gives the score a unique flavor. Most of the time, Dave Grusin is just playing it normally, but there are a few sounds that were created with unusual means, for example, by hitting it with a timpani mallet.

I was just reminded how great a job Howard Shore did with TLOTR.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Incredible scores for the three films. And to think, he started out doing the music for early David Cronenberg movies. I love his music in those as well 😁

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Incredible scores for the three films. And to think, he started out doing the music for early David Cronenberg movies. I love his music in those as well 😁
    Definitely agree on his scores.

Not to detract, some may be unaware of Mr. Shore's contributions to Saturday Night Live. Not least Howard Shore and His All Nurse Band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Shore

SNL Episode 6 intro, Lily Tomlin Hosting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hBaeJIPnmg
    bd7752abf5b7a4000360344f80331d03.jpg

Great theme from Lalo, I am still undecided which version I like best, maybe the third...

These are three scores I need in my collection though.
  • Great theme from Lalo, I am still undecided which version I like best, maybe the third...

1 and 2 are definitely better than 3. They sound really cool, like ENTER THE DRAGON. 3 just sounds too subdued.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 23,327
    Great theme from Lalo, I am still undecided which version I like best, maybe the third...

1 and 2 are definitely better than 3. They sound really cool, like ENTER THE DRAGON. 3 just sounds too subdued.

I like them all, think I was in a serious subdued mood when I posted earlier.

Edited: Listening to Rush Hour original soundtrack, the theme is very good after several listens.