Movie Soundtracks (NOT Bond) - Old & New Films (chat)

Comments

• When I see or hear the name Charles Fox I immediately think of that iconic HAPPY DAYS theme song!

Sunday, Monday, happy days….
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    When I see or hear the name Charles Fox I immediately think of that iconic HAPPY DAYS theme song!

Sunday, Monday, happy days….

I did not know he composed Happy Days though admittedly I have not done much research on Charles fox. Looking at his IMDB page Charles fox has done a lot of famous themes i see, Laverne & Shirley and Wonder Woman I remember those shows well from my youth.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Pursuit Of The Pimpmobile by Isaac Hayes from Truck Turner (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Beverly Hills Cop @mattjoes I have on CD great Album.

Some cool scores by Harold Faltemeye, I was a big Chevy Chase fan back in the 80's had all his films on VHS.

I had that Fletch Lives poster which was a take on Gone with the Wind.

I've still got a few Chevy Chase films I want to see. I've seen like seven.

I highly recommend Foul Play its a gem of a movie one of my favorites.

Foul Play Soundtrack: Get me to the Opera on Time/ Charles Fox

I haven't seen that one. That's such a fun piece of music! Apart from this, I only know Charles Fox from The Laughing Policeman. I don't think that film had a soundtrack release, but there's a catchy piece of music that plays during a montage, in which the cops played by Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern are on the streets interrogating people.

The end of Foul Play is anarchic similar to a Pink Panther film ending.

Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern I am a big fan of, not sure if I have seen that team will have to look for it. Speaking of Bruce Dern...

That's pretty cool! I like the organ in the second half. I haven't seen the film but I will at some point.

---

This is my favorite arrangement of the Chariots of Fire theme, despite the musical concessions made at the end to accommodate the comedy bit featuring Rowan Atkinson.

edited August 2022 Posts: 23,407
    Beverly Hills Cop @mattjoes I have on CD great Album.

Some cool scores by Harold Faltemeye, I was a big Chevy Chase fan back in the 80's had all his films on VHS.

I had that Fletch Lives poster which was a take on Gone with the Wind.

I've still got a few Chevy Chase films I want to see. I've seen like seven.

I highly recommend Foul Play its a gem of a movie one of my favorites.

Foul Play Soundtrack: Get me to the Opera on Time/ Charles Fox

I haven't seen that one. That's such a fun piece of music! Apart from this, I only know Charles Fox from The Laughing Policeman. I don't think that film had a soundtrack release, but there's a catchy piece of music that plays during a montage, in which the cops played by Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern are on the streets interrogating people.

The end of Foul Play is anarchic similar to a Pink Panther film ending.

Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern I am a big fan of, not sure if I have seen that team will have to look for it. Speaking of Bruce Dern...

That's pretty cool! I like the organ in the second half. I haven't seen the film but I will at some point.

---

This is my favorite arrangement of the Chariots of Fire theme, despite the musical concessions made at the end to accommodate the comedy bit featuring Rowan Atkinson.

Just listening to the Chariots of Fire theme through my Sennheiser headphones that is a great piece of music. The Chariots of Fire theme was on one of my first ever movie compilation tapes I bought around the time the film was released. I definitely need to listen to the entire score at some point again.

Silent Running has a strong Eco message it was directed by the great Douglas Trumbull who worked on the visual effects for 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner and Star trek The Motion Picture.

---
    Scarface Intro Opening Theme (Studio Version) - Giorgio Moroder

Great score that perfectly fits the film.

From another De Palma movie...

Phobia - Release The Fake Movie Bat

Bizarre movie, the score certainly matches whats on film. Pino Donagio homages Hermann a lot, then delivers some of the cringiest music ever written.

---

Mulholland Drive/Love Theme - Angelo Badalamenti
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Pursuit Of The Pimpmobile by Isaac Hayes from Truck Turner (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

My Gosh! I love this! @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I can't stop listening. Like his Shaft this is also good. George Martin's LALD score is stellar, but sometimes, I can't help but think what Hayes would have done with it too.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

My Gosh! I love this! @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I can't stop listening. Like his Shaft this is also good. George Martin's LALD score is stellar, but sometimes, I can't help but think what Hayes would have done with it too.

Its from the Truck Turner movie score you should give the full score a listen.

I am a big fan of 60's and 70's Funky soul.

Its from the Truck Turner movie score you should give the full score a listen.

I am a big fan of 60's and 70's Funky soul.

Oh, Yeah. I'm listening to the full score right now. Really great stuff!
    Black Dynamite - Shine

This is a great homage to the 70's era from 2009, the film and score are brilliant. I have the Album on my wall lol
    Black Dynamite - Cleaning Up The Streets
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,247
    Great stuffs @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I can imagine you would love Lalo Schifrin as well. Maybe his Enter The Dragon score especially.
    Great stuffs @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I can imagine you would love Lalo Schifrin as well. Maybe his Enter The Dragon score especially.

Yeah mate I have several of Lalo Schifrins Albums including Enter the Dragon and Bullitt.

The Chase

Brilliant.

Yeah mate I have several of Lalo Schifrins Albums including Enter the Dragon and Bullitt.

The Chase

Brilliant.

Yeah, Cool.
    Kill Bill Vol. 1 [OST] #7 - Run Fay Fun
    Nice! What do you think of Dave Grusin @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I love and own his score for Three Days Of The Condor.
    Nice! What do you think of Dave Grusin @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I love and own his score for Three Days Of The Condor.

Its not a name I am familiar with though no doubt I have heard his work without realizing. Regarding Three Days Of The Condor it has been a long time since I have seen it, I will give the score a listen.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,247

Its not a name I am familiar with though no doubt I have heard his work without realizing. Regarding Three Days Of The Condor it has been a long time since I have seen it, I will give the score a listen.

Oh, Cool. Below is part of the score. The main theme.

Sounds good, I am a fan of 70's cinema and the music of that era. I like the conspiracy films of that time period. This and All the Presidents Men and The Parallax View all great.

This is a more ominous piece of music for sure.

Sounds good, I am a fan of 70's cinema and the music of that era. I like the conspiracy films of that time period. This and All the Presidents Men and The Parallax View all great.

It does sound ominous indeed.
    @GadgetMan unsure if i have posted this thread, have you heard this before...

Lalo Schifrin - Jaws

Lalo Schifrin - Jaws

Oh, no. I haven't @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Schifrin added an upbeat style to Williams' dark theme. It sounds very Schifrin indeed. I love it.

Lalo Schifrin - Jaws

Oh, no. I haven't @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Schifrin added an upbeat style to Williams' dark theme. It sounds very Schifrin indeed. I love it.

It's rare cover versions/reworkings of famous themes work, though it is a very good alternative version by Lalo.

Lalo Schifrin - Jaws

It's rare cover versions/reworkings of famous themes work, though it is a very good alternative version by Lalo.

Yeah, it's really good.
    Floating Office (Music from the Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition)

Just purchased the most complete version of the masterpiece of a score by Jerry goldsmith. One of my favorite movie scores of all time.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 6,747
    I've got to catch up with the most recent posts on this thread. In the meantime though, I wanted to post this, The Pink Panther Theme, in a version which I suspect is performed by the Jazz Orchestra of Novosibirsk State Technical University, in Russia. But why almost six minutes, you ask? Well, a couple of minutes into the video, you'll get your answer. Absolutely fantastic.

If they hadn't stopped making those films and Henry Mancini hadn't passed away, he could've done something like that himself, seeing as he was always playing with the arrangement of the theme.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I've got to catch up with the most recent posts on this thread. In the meantime though, I wanted to post this, The Pink Panther Theme, in a version which I suspect is performed by the Jazz Orchestra of Novosibirsk State Technical University, in Russia. But why almost six minutes, you ask? Well, a couple of minutes into the video, you'll get your answer. Absolutely fantastic.

If they hadn't stopped making those films and Henry Mancini hadn't passed away, he could've done something like that himself, seeing as he was always playing with the arrangement of the theme.

That was indeed great. Cool orchestra.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 23,407

Great live performance, Mancini did some very memorable themes.

I love the theme to A Shot in the Dark my favorite Inspector Clouseau film. despite using a different theme it still feels very much Inspector Clouseau...

A Shot in the Dark

Another classic by Mancini...

Charade | Soundtrack Suite
    With regards to Mancini I have to say my favourite score of his is Santa Claus the Movie. Regardless of the merits of the actual movie there's no denying Mancini's score is superb
    Silent Running has a strong Eco message it was directed by the great Douglas Trumbull who worked on the visual effects for 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner and Star trek The Motion Picture.
    I totally want to watch Trumbull's Brainstorm. Sadly, the studio didn't agree with his idea of having those sequences with the helmet shot at a higher framerate. A couple of years ago, as a test, someone used interpolation to increase the framerate in one scene.

It looks great and makes sense for the story. I hope that person or anyone else steps up and does that for the whole film.

Scarface Intro Opening Theme (Studio Version) - Giorgio Moroder

Great score that perfectly fits the film.
    Very cool. In general, I find this score a bit eerie, a bit edgy.

From another De Palma movie...

Phobia - Release The Fake Movie Bat

Bizarre movie, the score certainly matches whats on film. Pino Donagio homages Hermann a lot, then delivers some of the cringiest music ever written.
    Another one I want to watch. Your comment reminded me of the theme of Re-Animator, which is a total Herrmann/Psycho homage.

Mulholland Drive/Love Theme - Angelo Badalamenti
    That's some seriously moody stuff.

Incidentally, I love Badalamenti's score for Arlington Road. The beginning of the film and its unsettling music is embedded into my brain. At 3:36, the track shifts to a non-Badalamenti piece called Neon Reprise, by Lunatic Calm.

I'm going off-topic here, but that second piece comes from an album titled Metropol, along with this terrific variation:

The Chase

Brilliant.
    That's really cool. Schifrin's music is so full of interesting sounds and timbres.

I love 1:58 onwards in this track, especially the part at 2:38:

I love his score for The Firm.

That main title music you posted was so relaxing.

Oh, yeah! And I had immediate flashbacks to Marathon Man, also by Michael Small.

• edited September 2022 Posts: 6,747
    I love the theme to A Shot in the Dark my favorite Inspector Clouseau film. despite using a different theme it still feels very much Inspector Clouseau...

A Shot in the Dark
    I love this theme, but I wish they would release the film version. Mancini always prepared different versions of his music for the soundtrack albums, which were cool in and of themselves, but the film versions are always welcome.

In its album version, the main title music of The Return of the Pink Panther has quite a bit of music missing. The music from 2:10 to 2:43, and from 3:15 to 3:57, is absent. I think the bit from 3:15 to 3:40, with the dissonant flutes, is my favorite in all of the Pink Panther title tracks.

Another classic by Mancini...

Charade | Soundtrack Suite
    I love the main title music of this one. That percussion ostinato is awesome. My other favorite track is Orange Tamouré.

This other version is really cool as well.

I also love how Mancini scored this scene in Charade. His slow, moody music stands in contrast to the relatively faster-paced physical action on the screen. It works very well. Beginning at 0:50 in this video, you can see what I'm referring to.