Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Gag? Gimmick more like. There's been too much getting away from classic Bond (and yes, I remember SP). I'm chomping at the but for a classic straight forward Bond film. Looks like i'll have to wait a while longer.
    To be honest, I don't think we were ever going to get that with B25.

Deep down.... I think I knew it. When Fukanaga was hired, it started to look unlikely at best.
    I don't think Boyle's "radical" approach would have been very close to a straightforward Bond mission either.

I think Boyle’s version would have been even more non-traditional and probably ticked a lot of people off, especially if the rumor of Bond being incarcerated for most of the movie was true. I think for the most part the Craig era has done a great job of being different and doing new things while not straying too far from the Bond formula. I’m not certain, but I think we dodged a bullet by not getting Boyle’s film...
    100% agreed.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Gag? Gimmick more like. There's been too much getting away from classic Bond (and yes, I remember SP). I'm chomping at the but for a classic straight forward Bond film. Looks like i'll have to wait a while longer.

Deep down.... I think I knew it. When Fukanaga was hired, it started to look unlikely at best.
    I don't think Boyle's "radical" approach would have been very close to a straightforward Bond mission either.

I wasn't a fan of Boyle's appointment either.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Sani wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm sorry @peter, @Denbigh , I understand what you're saying and it makes sense, but I really hate this idea. :D

It seems so remarkably arbitrary to me. It's not like '007' is his superhero alter ego or anything; it's purely the designation he gets at work. It doesn't define the character in any way.

And why would it be bad if Bond wasn't 007 in the movie and Lashana Lynch would have been 008? :)
    Well, that wouldn't be very interesting would it?

We wouldn't want to have that now, would we? ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Gag? Gimmick more like.

What's wrong with a gimmick?
    And if there's a gag with it as well, which you know there will be, much as you scoff; then even less problem.

Who's scoffing? I'm just saying that, unless there is another way it's gong to happen:

M: "Come in, 007..."

*in walks Lashana*

Hardly a rib tickler.

Though I admit, I am a little curious as to how that will play out.

The gag is likely in Bond's reaction rather than bad stuff like that. You may not think it's a rib-tickler and I'd agree, but that's probably because you wrote that gag and it's not the one(s) we're likely to actually get ;)
    So maybe criticise the Eon guys for their jokes rather than yours :)

Question is, if we're getting the a straight forward Bond film again anytime soon. There's no way of telling if the next era will be more "traditional" either.
    The response seems to be more positive than negative. In fact, I've seen more meh responses from people who HAVE read the article and know this is a story point and not a major sea change.

Here's a great video example:

And another:
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think Boyle’s version would have been even more non-traditional and probably ticked a lot of people off, especially if the rumor of Bond being incarcerated for most of the movie was true. I think for the most part the Craig era has done a great job of being different and doing new things while not straying too far from the Bond formula. I’m not certain, but I think we dodged a bullet by not getting Boyle’s film...

Fingers crossed the story leaks out at some point years down the line though. I'd be very curious to hear what it was all about...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Fingers crossed the story leaks out at some point years down the line though. I'd be very curious to hear what it was all about...
    Yes, me too. The next edition of Some Kind of Hero will definitely shed some light on it though.
    I’m hopeful after B25 releases that we’ll get a more full story.

Yes, me too. The next edition of Some Kind of Hero will definitely shed some light on it though.

Isn't there a new one out now, covering parts of the Bond 25 production?

Just the lead up to Boyle's hiring, and ends there. Nothing interesting.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I heard Mark Kermode say that Boyle did let him in on what exactly went down, so the truth is getting out there- hopefully a few more folk will let on! :)

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Gag? Gimmick more like.

And if there's a gag with it as well, which you know there will be, much as you scoff; then even less problem.

Who's scoffing? I'm just saying that, unless there is another way it's gong to happen:

*in walks Lashana*

Hardly a rib tickler.

The gag is likely in Bond's reaction rather than bad stuff like that. You may not think it's a rib-tickler and I'd agree, but that's probably because you wrote that gag and it's not the one(s) we're likely to actually get ;)

I won't call it a joke, but I will say that I didn't come up with it. I can't be accused of coming up it it. Borrowing it? Definitely.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2019 Posts: 14,986
    Gag? Gimmick more like.

*in walks Lashana*

Hardly a rib tickler.

I won't call it a joke, but I will say that I didn't come up with it. I can't be accused of coming up it it. Borrowing it? Definitely.

I don't really care; they already did that gag (kind of twice, actually), if you really think so little of them that they can't come up with anything better then I guess there really is no point in you going to see it.
    Roll on the trailer is what I say as I am tired of reading page after page of healthy debate! ;))
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    peter wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    There was originally going to be a film in the 80s where we saw young Bond inherit the 007 number from an older male agent; this film became Living Daylights. Would you have refused to watch this one, out of interest?

Of course, not! That would be ok.
    But here, he lost the 007 number, though he was already James Bond 007. And I don't like that.
    He hasn't really lost it. He quit.

True. But he WAS already 007.

If in Bond 25 we would see a young Bond who inherit the 007 number from Lashana Lynch; that would be fine for me.

He WAS 007, but James Bond, for reasons we will find out, left the service.

Well, actually Bond already left the service in SP. The symbolism behind the bridge scene is quite powerful. Then, we can talk about the overall execution, but SP emotional core was all about Bond choosing to pursue his life as an assassin or not. In the end, he "chose life". Now let's see how 25 will pick up from that choice.

giphy.gif
    Gag? Gimmick more like.

*in walks Lashana*

Hardly a rib tickler.

I don't really care; they already did that gag (kind of twice, actually), if you really think so little of them that they can't come up with anything better then I guess there really is no point in you going to see it.

It's not so much thinking so little of them. But with that used as an example, i'm just saying that it isn't a gag, as opposed to a gimmick. At the end of the day, I just want a straight forward Bond on a mission film. Opening gun barrel, use of Bond theme theme throughout, little drama. You want something different. Let's just accept that we want different things from Bond#25.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2019 Posts: 14,986
    Gag? Gimmick more like.

*in walks Lashana*

Hardly a rib tickler.

It's not so much thinking so little of them. But with that used as an example, i'm just saying that it isn't a gag, as opposed to a gimmick. At the end of the day, I just want a straight forward Bond on a mission film. Opening gun barrel, use of Bond theme theme throughout, little drama. You want something different. Let's just accept that we want different things from Bond#25.

It is a gag; there's no real other way of looking at it. The opening of Spy Who Loved Me, when we think Michael Billington is Agent XXX but it turns out to be Anya: that's a gag. It's not a 'gimmick'. It's a gag.

As for not wanting any drama: I find that a bit bizarre. These are action films; without drama you can't have tension, and without tension there's little point in action.
    If you want Moonraker it's there on the shelf. I love it too, but I don't see any point in remaking it. Give me new stuff I haven't seen please.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Gag? Gimmick more like.

*in walks Lashana*

Hardly a rib tickler.

As for not wanting any drama: I find that a bit bizarre. These are action films; without drama you can't have tension, and without tension there's little point in action.
    If you want Moonraker it's there on the shelf. I love it too, but I don't see any point in remaking it. Give me new stuff I haven't seen please.

Exactly. Again people are blowing this whole thing completely out of poportion. To me it's just another spin on the same old powerplay we had at least half a dozen times in the series where Bond meets another female agent.
    Goodhead, Triple X, Pam Bouvier, Jinx, Camile, Wai Lin... And some others.

The twist is that this time she has his number. This powerplay is very much at the heart of the franchise though. It's actually one of my favorite aspects. To me it's neither gag or gimmick, it's very much in the dna.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,295
    Gag? Gimmick more like.

*in walks Lashana*

Hardly a rib tickler.

It is a gag; there's no real other way of looking at it. The opening of Spy Who Loved Me, when we think Michael Billington is Agent XXX but it turns out to be Anya: that's a gag. It's not a 'gimmick'. It's a gag.

I love that scene. It would be very welcome with a opening scene just as good for Nomi.

Just the lead up to Boyle's hiring, and ends there. Nothing interesting.

Thanks for the info! I'll be waiting to buy SKOH until the next edition, then.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    00Agent wrote: »
    Gag? Gimmick more like.

*in walks Lashana*

Hardly a rib tickler.

Exactly. Again people are blowing this whole thing completely out of poportion. To me it's just another spin on the same old powerplay we had at least half a dozen times in the series where Bond meets another female agent.

The twist is that this time she has his number. This powerplay is very much at the heart of the franchise though. It's actually one of my favorite aspects. To me it's neither gag or gimmick, it's very much in the dna.

Bang on @00Agent !
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Indeed, it simply adds up to an intriguing film. I think the story will be fine. We definitely could use a trailer as this "bonfire of angst" over this character and this number is getting quite old.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126
    Have to admit his reaction is pretty funny.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Bring it! Shake it, don't stir! ;)
    00Agent wrote: »
    Gag? Gimmick more like.

*in walks Lashana*

Hardly a rib tickler.

Good post!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Honestly, I thought Bond fans were better than this racism and sexism. We're in 2019!
    echo wrote: »
    Honestly, I thought Bond fans were better than this racism and sexism. We're in 2019!

So you are saying the guy is racist against his own race?
    This guy isn't happy at all wow 😮
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    echo wrote: »

So you are saying the guy is racist against his own race?

Yes, what a silly argument. Anyone can be racist against anyone else.