Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    jake24 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    People are disgusting.

People are paranoid.

But to be fair, I just heard on the radio some people who approve of Nomi being 007, who think she'll replace Bond as hero (heroine) of the series. If the casual viewer has this misconception, it's kind of depressing.
    That's the thing. All the clickbait is extremely misleading.

I think the problem is that no-one seems to be going to the bother of actually clicking! :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2019 Posts: 14,957
    It's interesting that Eon did write a script which featured the person who held the 007 number before Bond took over in the 80s for Bond 15.
    mtm wrote: »
    People are disgusting.

People are paranoid.

But to be fair, I just heard on the radio some people who approve of Nomi being 007, who think she'll replace Bond as hero (heroine) of the series. If the casual viewer has this misconception, it's kind of depressing.

I think the problem is that no-one seems to be going to the bother of actually clicking! :D

I've watched a couple Youtube videos of movie fans ranting about this "news" and openly admitting they won't even read the article nor see the movie when it comes out.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185
    It's interesting that Eon did write a script which featured the person who held the 007 number before Bond took over in the 80s for Bond 15.

I trully believe that even 10 years ago no one would have cared. It would have been business as usual. But now everything is so politicized and people are so paranoid and want rage on the internet about everything. It's pathetic.

And of course the 'press' (whatever you wanna call them) is aware of that and is just feeding that need.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    People are disgusting.

People are paranoid.

Some people I know personally are sharing these articles on their Facebook pages commenting things like: " I can't wait! I'm shrieking with joy!".
    Granted these individuals really wouldn't be able to describe which film FOR YOUR EYES ONLY was without looking it up on Google. So their knowledge of Bond is pretty much limited to the Craig era, and possibly a Brosnan or two.

Yes. The average person seems to now be assuming Lashana has indeed been cast to take over as 007 in the franchise. Craig's Bond passes the torch to her in the new film while he rides off into the sunset.

The big issue, which is discussed in the thread about common misconceptions about Bond movies: casual viewers have a vague idea at best about Bond and mix every movie and characters. So Goldfinger is Bond's nemesis stroking a cat, M gives Bond his gadgets, Moneypenny is a codename and she dies in CR, etc.

Oh and James Bond lives at 221B Baker Street and steals from the rich to give to the poor.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    People are disgusting.

People are paranoid.

I've watched a couple Youtube videos of movie fans ranting about this "news" and openly admitting they won't even read the article nor see the movie when it comes out.

Well, Bond doesn't need those kind of "fans".
    matt_u wrote: »
    People are disgusting.

People are paranoid.

Exactly. One video started with the guy saying something like " First off, I'm not really into Bond. Not my thing, but here's my opinion............."

I shut it off right then.
    People are disgusting.

People are paranoid.

Exactly. One video started with the guy saying something like " First off, I'm not really into Bond. Not my thing, but here's my opinion............."

I shut it off right then.

What an arrogant pratt.
    Basically now this has been turned into a political idiotic deabte about feminism vs. whatever.
    Has nothing to do with Bond anymore, and all with crappy internet activists and conspiracy nuts.

This might be going on for a couple of days or weeks and could get worse with some real weirdos and conspiracy nuts coming out of the woodwork. Or "content creators" as they are called nowadays.

Kinda hard to watch to be honest, watching my favorite franchise being dragged through the gutter of public opinion for no reason at all. I'll just ignore it as good as i can.
    I don't want EoN to bother with this crap either, they should focus on making a film. The tabloids should always be beneath them. They will share something when they are ready.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2019 Posts: 14,957
    People are disgusting.

People are paranoid.

These people are wilfully ignorant morons, and sadly you've contributed to their ad earnings! :D
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Ok, I really think EON need to put out a statement. There are petitions to boycott the film and unless they put something out specifically stating that Lynch will not replace Craig as Bond, the film will have a negative energy around it until it's release.
    Ok, I really think EON need to put out a statement. There are petitions to boycott the film and unless they put something out specifically stating that Lynch will not replace Craig as Bond, the film will have a negative energy around it until it's release.

I can't believe it has to come down to that.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2019 Posts: 10,588

But it does. The comments on social media are completely out of control. The general consensus is that Lashana Lynch will be replacing Craig as James Bond.

I think EON need to put out a statement as soon as possible.

God no. The tabloids will do whatever the tabloids will do.
    EoN should wait till all this crap dies down (give it a week) and then they can drop a teaser or poster, just usual marketing. No reactionairy stuff.

Imagine EoN reacting in any way shape or form to these news now, and tomorrow the tabloids will write, "EoN is changing Lashanas role due to public backlash."
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

I agree or someone can message or post on Cary's account. Someone here said that he respond to his fans in social media. He might be able to post something clever.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 10,588
    00Agent wrote: »

EoN should wait till all this crap dies down (give it a week) and then they can drop a teaser or poster, just usual marketing. No reactionairy stuff.

Imagine EoN reacting in any way shape or form to these news now, and tomorrow the tabloids will write, "EoN is changing Lashanas role due to public backlash."
    It's not a tabloid issue anymore. It's a mass public outcry based on ignorance. It will genuinely have a poor effect on people's mindset of the finished product.
    To this day I have never once seen people react so strongly to something Bond related. It looks to me as if people are more butthurt over this than a a blonde Bond.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343

But it does. The comments on social media are completely out of control. The general consensus is that Lashana Lynch will be replacing Craig as James Bond.

I think they will use the teaser trailer to shut the mouths of those morons, alongside with the misdirection media are fueling.

BTW, nowadays everything is going crazy. 2 years ago poor Kelly Marie Tran was consistently insulted by racist and sexist comments just because of the poor role Johnson wrote for her. And we are talking about a character no one cares about. Imagine the pressure of Lynch who's portraying an agent with the codename 007 in a Bond film...

I think they will use the teaser trailer to shut the mouths of those morons, alongside with the misdirection media are fueling.

Ecxactly. Keep in mind these Rumors are FALSE. This is not a ghostbusters scenario where the main cast was really replaced by women.

The trailer will probably clarify this.
    All these boycotts are meaningless right now because these people don't even know what the hell is going on.

Boycotting a film that isn't even shot yet lol... wtf.
    People are disgusting.

People are paranoid.

These people are wilfully ignorant morons, and sadly you've contributed to their ad earnings! :D

It's rather embarrassing (spoken in my best Connery voice).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    As horrible as it is, it's probably best to get all out now because I think it would effect the success more if we were closer to release. We're still just over 8 months away from release and people can digest and hopefully realise what's actually going on.

It's a shame to have to go through this in the first place but if it's gonna happen I'd rather now than later.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Looks like the CIA joined in on this nonsense good grief this is a wildfire
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126

It's not a tabloid issue anymore. It's a mass public outcry based on ignorance. It will genuinely have a poor effect on people's mindset of the finished product.
    To this day I have never once seen people react so strongly to something Bond related. It looks to me as if people are more butthurt over this than a a blonde Bond.

It's not all ignorance its falsifying things that aren't true she is isn't becoming Bond and not leading the franchise forward it's a false firestorm.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,164
    I'd think that the 'boycott' and negative outcry is equal to, if not less than, the positive buzz coming out of this. It's just the ones that are more negative seem louder than the actually are.

The only thing for EON to do is take it in stride and play with the whole concept in the marketing - have that scene where Lynch is 'revealed' as 007 in the teaser (I'm sure it'd be a great moment for that), have Craig and Lynch side by side on the teaser poster. That's how they make it clear that she isn't replacing Craig as Bond - which is an issue on both sides of the debate thanks to the clickbait omitting this important context.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Malek s nefarious genetic gizmo probably made Bond black and female. I suppose Daniel morphs into Lashana halfway through the movie.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126
    antovolk wrote: »
    I'd think that the 'boycott' and negative outcry is equal to, if not less than, the positive buzz coming out of this. It's just the ones that are more negative seem louder than the actually are.

The only thing for EON to do is take it in stride and play with the whole concept in the marketing - have that scene where Lynch is 'revealed' as 007 in the teaser (I'm sure it'd be a great moment for that), have Craig and Lynch side by side on the teaser poster. That's how they make it clear that she isn't replacing Craig as Bond - which is an issue on both sides of the debate thanks to the clickbait omitting this important context.

That would kind of be pushing it but I see what your saying. I think they shouldn't do that to prove nothing is changing.
    Malek s nefarious genetic gizmo probably made Bond black and female. I suppose Daniel morphs into Lashana halfway through the movie.
    Stop :))

I trully believe that even 10 years ago no one would have cared. It would have been business as usual. But now everything is so politicized and people are so paranoid and want rage on the internet about everything. It's pathetic.

And of course the 'press' (whatever you wanna call them) is aware of that and is just feeding that need.

The press started it they are the true Bond villains.
    Basically now this has been turned into a political idiotic deabte about feminism vs. whatever.
    Has nothing to do with Bond anymore, and all with crappy internet activists and conspiracy nuts.

This might be going on for a couple of days or weeks and could get worse with some real weirdos and conspiracy nuts coming out of the woodwork. Or "content creators" as they are called nowadays.

Kinda hard to watch to be honest, watching my favorite franchise being dragged through the gutter of public opinion for no reason at all. I'll just ignore it as good as i can.
    I don't want EoN to bother with this crap either, they should focus on making a film. The tabloids should always be beneath them. They will share something when they are ready.

People made a false assumption and made it apart of a political debate when it has nothing to do it it part of the story how things left of from Spectre it's all a coincidence.
    I understand perfectly well that Lashana Lynch won't be James Bond and she won't become Bond 26's star. I also understood the article of mi6-hq. Of course, we can explain the black woman 007, but I can't accept this, and I will boycott the film.
    I'm sorry, but I'm very sad.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Sani wrote: »
    I understand perfectly well that Lashana Lynch won't be James Bond and she won't become Bond 26's star. I also understood the article of mi6-hq. Of course, we can explain the black woman 007, but I can't accept this, and I will boycott the film.
    I'm sorry, but I'm very sad.

Not as sad as Eon will be to lose you, I'm sure.