Detailed gunbarrel music guide + Gunbarrel music ranking game

12345679»

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 5 Posts: 14,957
    To me it's pretty recognisable, and there's a bit at the beginning of the third fanfare where the trumpets seem slightly out of sync for a note, or one is muted or something (it may be intentional but it is recognisable) which makes them seem especially similar.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    mtm wrote: »
    Fantastic thread! Loved it.
    Great!

Hmm. I guess I still don’t hear it. I don’t hear any GF in the GE gunbarrel.

I assume if it was that obvious I would have picked up on it years ago. But even after careful listening I don’t hear it. And I have a pretty good ear for music. Guess I’m missing something.
    I think it's easiest to hear in the last part of the gunbarrel intro, that is, the part with the five quick notes. In the audio I posted, if one compares the transposed GoldenEye audio with the Goldfinger audio, one can tell that, in GoldenEye, the sound of the snare and the brass playing F#-E-F#-F#-E is the same as in Goldfinger. Of course, it's obscured by keyboards and distorted, but it's there.

I didn't notice this for years. I think I read it somewhere else, and it was a real surprise.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I must admit I've always heard it because there's just a unique tone to it I don't know how to express, and I was so pleased when you made your comparison and made it so much clearer. I don't even know what the notation you spelled out in your last post even means, but I'm pleased that it is obviously apparent to you as you know way more about these things than I do!
  • For Your Eyes Only came in at number 5 for me. I love the sound of the music for FYEO in general, with Conti bringing in his own style from the Rocky pictures and incorporating that into the sound of 007. Plus you can never have enough cowbell!

Goldfinger was number 3 in my rankings. My absolute favorite of the Gunbarrels that feature the “guitar twang”, it just has the best sound of those early 60’s Gunbarrels, as well as the perfect tempo; not to fast like FRWL, and not to slow like TB.

Great thread by the way @mattjoes, this was a lot of fun to do!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Regarding the FYEO octave change in the riff, I forgot to say that, despite the fact John Barry never did that in his gunbarrels, that's such a John Barry thing to do. His scores are full of melodies that begin in an octave, then move up, or down.

For Your Eyes Only came in at number 5 for me. I love the sound of the music for FYEO in general, with Conti bringing in his own style from the Rocky pictures and incorporating that into the sound of 007. Plus you can never have enough cowbell!
    Haha, everyone loves cowbell. It does sound great.

Great thread by the way @mattjoes, this was a lot of fun to do!
    Great to hear, thanks for participating!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Of all the non-Barry composers, Conti understood the assignment of the gunbarrel best:

Make it exciting, and make it your own.

It's a great one.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    GF and FYEO are both excellent. Deservedly in the top 2, the both of them.