Detailed gunbarrel music guide + Gunbarrel music ranking game

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Dr. No I had a #1. It isn’t the quintessential Bond gunbarrel, but my lord it’s hard to top that original recording of the Bond theme. I’m also a fan of the electronic noises that starts the film off; I’d like to think that audiences were intrigued and curious when they first saw this opening back in 62, before being blown away by the loud gunshot being fired by Bob Simmons, all before leading into that legendary recording.

I guess, to be fair, it's kind of the only one where the score is appropriate, or rather the visuals are appropriate to the score, because we hear computer noises and we see some abstract computer dots moving across the screen. You could argue that a big orchestral fanfare for two white dots doesn't really make as much sense! :)
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,019
    @007ClassicBondFan
    If you refer to the gunbarrel design then I wholeheartedly agree. I love the smaller sized barrel where Bond appears as a mysterious, shadowy figure. I suspect it was done this way so the audience wouldn't notice it's not Connery but it works wonders and for some reason, I love that Simmons doesn't land exactly in the center but closer to the edge of the circle.
    As for the pose itself, it's my second favorite behind Laz's fantastic knee drop, with Brosnan coming third.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited December 2023 Posts: 6,730
    mtm wrote: »
    Dr. No I had a #1. It isn’t the quintessential Bond gunbarrel, but my lord it’s hard to top that original recording of the Bond theme. I’m also a fan of the electronic noises that starts the film off; I’d like to think that audiences were intrigued and curious when they first saw this opening back in 62, before being blown away by the loud gunshot being fired by Bob Simmons, all before leading into that legendary recording.

I guess, to be fair, it's kind of the only one where the score is appropriate, or rather the visuals are appropriate to the score, because we hear computer noises and we see some abstract computer dots moving across the screen. You could argue that a big orchestral fanfare for two white dots doesn't really make as much sense! :)

I honestly don't know what is the source of this (if anybody knows, please tell, or correct me if I'm wrong), but my understanding is that the trail of dots left by the moving circle is supposed to represent gunshots. The DN electronic beeps don't sound like they're scoring that concept, but it's possible they just thought the beeps worked well against the images. But my point is that if the dots are gunshots, then big, dramatic orchestral hits are in some way suited to accompany them.
  • R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    @007ClassicBondFan
    If you refer to the gunbarrel design then I wholeheartedly agree. I love the smaller sized barrel where Bond appears as a mysterious, shadowy figure. I suspect it was done this way so the audience wouldn't notice it's not Connery but it works wonders and for some reason, I love that Simmons doesn't land exactly in the center but closer to the edge of the circle.
    As for the pose itself, it's my second favorite behind Laz's fantastic knee drop, with Brosnan coming third.

I was referring to both the design of the gunbarrel itself and the pose of the actor. My favorite “poses” would be;

1. Bob Simmons - For exactly the reasons you’ve mentioned
    2. Pierce Brosnan - He has the best walk, and the best pose of all the actors who’ve filmed the sequence.
    3. Roger Moore’s 1st Sequence - Love how fast he turns and fires the gun in his first sequence as opposed to the one he shot for TSWLM.

I agree, it was nice and simple to start off with those electronic noises. That orchestral fanfare started at the perfect moment after Simmons fires the gun. A wonderful introduction to the film series imo.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    @007ClassicBondFan

I was referring to both the design of the gunbarrel itself and the pose of the actor. My favorite “poses” would be;

2. Pierce Brosnan - He has the best walk, and the best pose of all the actors who’ve filmed the sequence.
    3. Roger Moore’s 1st Sequence - Love how fast he turns and fires the gun in his first sequence as opposed to the one he shot for TSWLM.

I agree, it was nice and simple to start off with those electronic noises. That orchestral fanfare started at the perfect moment after Simmons fires the gun. A wonderful introduction to the film series imo.

I always thought Dalton's was the best "performance" in the gun barrel. he looks very tall and imposing, and I love his gait and stability in his firing stance...
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 2,065
    peter wrote: »
    @007ClassicBondFan

I always thought Dalton's was the best "performance" in the gun barrel. he looks very tall and imposing, and I love his gait and stability in his firing stance...

Dalton’s at #4 for me, I love when he’s walking onto the screen just before he turns. The walk itself isn’t really “swaggering”, but the way in which he carried himself doing that walk came across as he was somebody of very high importance, almost “royalty” if you will.

I’ll also add too that if you zoom in on Timothy’s face during his firing stance, he’s got that intense glare in his eyes, even looking kind of angry which elevates the stance even more for me, and when you add the LTK music to the background, that’s just the chef’s kiss for me right there.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 14,957
    Dalton does it great, and he hits a fantastic pose. I think I’d have to put Roger’s flare-swinging second one just marginally above it- he sort of relaxes into it rather than taking the sniper by surprise, but the man knew how to hit a perfect pose and gives pitch perfect gunbarrel. In third place for me it’s probably Craig’s Spectre one: he loses points for the gun-swinging, but he ends on the perfect gunbarrel pose.
    Pierce is too stiff and barrel-chested for me (bend the knees!), Sean’s too wobbly, and Lazenby’s doesn’t really work for my money.
    It's time for another reveal in this ranking game. Number 10 is a tie (the third of four ties in total), and it's between...

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN

Original film mix, with reverb:

New film mix, without reverb:

and

GOLDENEYE

The highest ranking achieved by TMWTGG was 3rd place, and the lowest was 18th place. There were 3 votes in the ones and 7 in the tens.

The highest ranking achieved by GE was 3rd place, and the lowest was 25th place. There were 5 votes in the ones, 2 votes in the tens and 3 in the twenties.

Both gunbarrel cues scored a total of 139 points.

I ranked TMWTGG in 4th place. I love this gunbarrel, with its fast pace, sense of elegant drama (as conveyed through the reverb-heavy strings and woodwinds playing the riff) and subtle Eastern sound. I also love the fact the music goes on for two more bars than usual. And any gunbarrel that uses the xylophone automatically gains points with me.

I ranked GE in 12th place. This one is fairly traditional in its structure, but the orchestration is, of course, not too traditional. But very cool nonetheless: the change in key is refreshing —in fact, I love the dark, mysterious sound achieved by the violas when playing the vamp in this key— and the idea of using timpani for the riff is very ingenious and creates an oppressive feel. The fact the opening chords sample the Goldfinger gunbarrel is clever, but most importantly, effective without calling too much attention to itself. It's a good and highly memorable arrangement that screams "this is James Bond, but updated for the nineties". The only reason I don't rank it higher is because the more traditional kind of orchestration is closer to my heart.

What do you think? Once again, you're welcome to compare and contrast these two gunbarrels. Also, while it's probably safe to say the TMWTGG gunbarrel was intended by Barry to have a lot of reverb (check the first video in this post), I would love to know if any of you prefer it in its newer, drier mix (which you can hear in the second video). Personally, I prefer the original, reverb-heavy mix.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    TMWTGG is a bit ordinary and unexceptional to me to be honest: nothing much wrong with it but I think I’d place the 80s ones higher. What I do really love about it is the sudden transition out of it to the nice relaxed but tense plucked notes of Scaramanga’s island. Feels like we’re straight into something interesting.

GE I’d rate much higher: I think it’s fantastic. Something about the way the fanfare transitions into the heavy thump of the vamp, it just works. And the riff being purely rhythm- it’s a great idea and you barely even notice. Love it.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,019
    I have TMWTGG at #17. It's fine but it sounds a little rough around the edges and lacks a bit of polish... like the film itself.

GE is dead last for me and remains the only gunbarrel I outright dislike. The whole arrangement is just grating to my ears.
    My two favorite gunbarrels make wonderful use of electronic sounds but this one is the complete opposite.
    The opening chords sound like a cheaply made video game and the rest isn't much better.
    Very surprised this ended in the top 10.
    TMWTGG is a bit ordinary and unexceptional to me to be honest: nothing much wrong with it but I think I’d place the 80s ones higher. What I do really love about it is the sudden transition out of it to the nice relaxed but tense plucked notes of Scaramanga’s island. Feels like we’re straight into something interesting.
    I love that transition as well. It is attention-grabbing in its suddenness.

GE I’d rate much higher: I think it’s fantastic. Something about the way the fanfare transitions into the heavy thump of the vamp, it just works. And the riff being purely rhythm- it’s a great idea and you barely even notice. Love it.
    In timpani, the riff is quite subtle indeed. For years, I didn't even know it was there. It's fun to see composers play with these elements. Reminds me of the James Bond Theme as arranged by Hans Zimmer for his live concerts— he took the riff and turned it into the bass line, and took the chromatic vamp, which is typically the basis for the bass line, and turned it into the main melody, in fact going as far as playing it in guitar.

I have TMWTGG at #17. It's fine but it sounds a little rough around the edges and lacks a bit of polish... like the film itself.
    Can you elaborate on this? I don't mean to put you on the spot or anything, just very curious to hear different viewpoints.
    Also, some of our recent posters like @peter and @Mallory are welcome to leave their thoughts on the music of the gunbarrel sequences, whether addressing specific films or speaking in general terms.
  • For TMWTGG my ranking was #18. I feel as if I should clarify that position by stating that my ranking has nothing to do with the music itself. I just tend to prefer other gunbarrel music to this one, and as a result TMWTGG got knocked down lower than I thought it would be. The music is actually good imo, and I appreciate Barry bringing back the ‘brass’ sound from the Connery/Lazenby era. It’s a shame he’d set that aside for his future scores.

For Goldeneye, my ranking was #007. I absolutely love the music of this gunbarrel, it immediately sets the sound of the movie apart from the likes of John Barry, or even some of the other one-off composers. This was a new beginning for the series, Bond was in an entirely new world, and the music reflected the dark undertones of the film in general. I’ve mentioned in a different thread that Sierra’s score was the perfect sound to bring Bond into the 90’s, and I stand by that statement. Plus I’ll have to agree with @mtm, having the riff being purely rhythm is an added bonus for me. Those drums indeed sound epic
    @mattjoes TMWTGG gunbarrel sounds a bit harsh too my ears. Maybe it's the way it was recorded, I don't know. I also prefer gunbarrels with slower tempo.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    TMWTGG set the tone, quite literally, for the rest of the Barry gunbarrels and I must say I quite like it.

I have made it no secret that I absolutely adore the GE sound, Éric Serra is my favourite film composer, predominantly for his Besson work of course, but I just love that he does his own thing with the Bond sound. The GE gunbarrel is also one of my favourites, I ranked it 3rd.
    @mattjoes TMWTGG gunbarrel sounds a bit harsh too my ears. Maybe it's the way it was recorded, I don't know. I also prefer gunbarrels with slower tempo.
    Thanks, @R1s1ngs0n, very interesting.

The music is actually good imo, and I appreciate Barry bringing back the ‘brass’ sound from the Connery/Lazenby era. It’s a shame he’d set that aside for his future scores.
    Are you talking about the "brass" sound in a general sense, or in any specific elements of the cue, like the opening chords or the low brass accents heard throughout? Because now that I think about it, in LALD, George Martin did include brass in his arrangement, but it sounds softer.

GoldenGun wrote: »
    I have made it no secret that I absolutely adore the GE sound, Éric Serra is my favourite film composer
    I didn't know that! This is one of my favorite tracks from him.

• mattjoes wrote: »
    Are you talking about the "brass" sound in a general sense, or in any specific elements of the cue, like the opening chords or the low brass accents heard throughout? Because now that I think about it, in LALD, George Martin did include brass in his arrangement, but it sounds softer.

The brass sound in a general sense. It seemed to me that Barry’s future Bond scores would cut back on the amount of “brass” into each score, instead sounding a bit more “symphonic” if that’s the right word, than what he did before.
    mattjoes wrote: »

The brass sound in a general sense. It seemed to me that Barry’s future Bond scores would cut back on the amount of “brass” into each score, instead sounding a bit more “symphonic” if that’s the right word, than what he did before.
    This is true for sure.

---

The Number 9 gunbarrel music is...

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

Ranked between 3rd and 22nd place, The Living Daylights received 4 votes in the ones, 5 votes in the tens and 1 vote in the twenties. This gunbarrel scored a total of 147 points.

I ranked it in 13th place. Another solid late Barry arrangement, but I give a slight edge to the similar-sounding Octopussy, which I ranked in 11th place. The horns are louder in The Living Daylights, so in that sense, I guess it sounds a bit edgier and "cooler" than Octopussy, but I slightly prefer the latter's march-like feel. And then Moonraker and A View to a Kill I rank much higher because they are more energetic and have more individualistic orchestration, within the same general template which Barry stuck to after a certain point.

How do you feel about the TLD gunbarrel music?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 14,957
    I thought that'd be higher to be honest: to me it feels close to being the ideal gunbarrel- everything feels bit bigger to me somehow- the fanfare really echoes around that studio, plus (and I know we're not taking this into account!) Tim does a pretty perfect job onscreen. There's something that somehow makes it feel more dangerous and serious than before, although perhaps that's just association. I guess there's no guitar so that would lose point for some folk, but otherwise it feels pretty bob-on to me.
    Again, I’m in perfect sync with the overall ranking as I have this one at #9 as well.
    It’s by far my favorite of the late Barry renditions. Very lush.
    to me it feels close to being the ideal gunbarrel
    Regardless of my preferences, I would argue that, out of the last four or five gunbarrels arranged by Barry, The Living Daylights is the one that comes closest to achieving a quintessential "symphonic" sound (as opposed to the original guitar-based sound). In fact, I believe there are numerous orchestral recordings and performances of the James Bond Theme which, when they don't go for the guitar, end up sounding like this gunbarrel music more than any other.

There's something that somehow makes it feel more dangerous and serious than before, although perhaps that's just association.
    As I mentioned, I think the loud horns (especially at 0:17 in the video) and the more aggressive sound of the percussion in the opening chords (in contrast with, say, Moonraker or Octopussy) go a long way towards enhancing the feeling of danger. Even the trumpets in the opening chords have a jazzy flamboyance that a gunbarrel like Octopussy eschews in favor of more muted, "nasal" sounding trumpets. (For reference, in both gunbarrels, the trumpets are playing G, and are more clearly heard in the right channel— that is, the right ear!)

everything feels bit bigger to me somehow- the fanfare really echoes around that studio
    It’s by far my favorite of the late Barry renditions. Very lush.
    This one definitely sounds "larger" than others of the late Barry period.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    TMWTGG is a solid gunbarrel, no complaints other than that it uses elements of a score that I don't especially like (MR is the other one).

GE is okay but the timpani riff in the middle gets totally lost and muddled...

TLD is a classic, and I wish it were higher. It just feels more majestic than the previous two films.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I love TMWTGG, it is possibly the most interesting from Barry's Moore/Dalton era of orchestrated gun-barrels. I also find it interesting (as far as I recall) that this is the only one to feature the Bond 'Guitar' part (now orchestrated) repeated three times rather than the standard two like most of the previous gun-barrels.

GE is unique also - I love the timpani, works brilliantly in the film - but in isolation the sound-mixing is bloody awful and sounds way too washy/undefined - if this was a bit tighter it would be way up there - but I award points to Serra for giving us something more original.

TLD is where Barry perfected his symphonic take on the Octopussy/A View To A Kill orchestration - classy and elegant - but dare I say - at this point - somewhat uninspired (doesn't pack anywhere near the same punch as TMWTGG did - which for the time ushered in a new take on the theme for Roger's Bond). If this had some of the 80's synth-bass used in Ice Chase - I'd probably rate this one higher, as it is it lacks a distinct personality.
    Satorious wrote: »
    I love TMWTGG, it is possibly the most interesting from Barry's Moore/Dalton era of orchestrated gun-barrels. I also find it interesting (as far as I recall) that this is the only one to feature the Bond 'Guitar' part (now orchestrated) repeated three times rather than the standard two like most of the previous gun-barrels.
    This is correct. I like the extended arrangement a lot. Works great with the fast tempo.

GE is unique also - I love the timpani, works brilliantly in the film - but in isolation the sound-mixing is bloody awful and sounds way too washy/undefined - if this was a bit tighter it would be way up there - but I award points to Serra for giving us something more original.
    The timpani is quite subdued in the gunbarrel, to the point I've always thought of the vamp as the main melody in this particular version.

TLD is where Barry perfected his symphonic take on the Octopussy/A View To A Kill orchestration - classy and elegant - but dare I say - at this point - somewhat uninspired (doesn't pack anywhere near the same punch as TMWTGG did - which for the time ushered in a new take on the theme for Roger's Bond).
    A good observation. A gunbarrel like TLD was a variation on already-existing ones, whereas TMWTGG was a substantially different arrangement from the ones that had come before. (Although Barry didn't create this type of arrangement for the film, but for his 1972 concert.)

If this had some of the 80's synth-bass used in Ice Chase - I'd probably rate this one higher, as it is it lacks a distinct personality.
    I have thought about this as well. Incorporating some of the electronic sounds would have distinguished this gunbarrel further, and in fact, would have marked a difference between the Moore and Dalton gunbarrel arrangements. That said, I think it's possible that the slightly more powerful sound of this gunbarrel compared to its predecessors was Barry's way of acknowledging Dalton's different portrayal of Bond.
    Time for Number 8, which is...

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE

FRWL was ranked between 4th and 19th place. It received 5 votes in the ones and 5 votes in the tens, and scored a total of 149 points.

I ranked it in 19th place. This one has a cool, gritty sound—to put it in other words, it's the gunbarrel music of a dark alleyway in the middle of the night. I appreciate it in that sense, though I feel that, between its fast tempo and somewhat subdued arrangement, it doesn't call attention to itself as much as I'd like to, hence my relatively low ranking. (That said, and as I've mentioned before, I just love the Bond theme, so ranking these gunbarrels is like choosing between pieces of expensive jewelry. Each of them is charming in their own way.)

How do you feel about the ranking of From Russia with Love's gunbarrel music?
    #4 for me. Oozes cool, danger and is hard edged, like the film itself.
    Fits the cold war setting like a glove. I adore this one,
    Tomorrow I'll reveal gunbarrel Number 007. In the meantime, you're welcome to leave any further comments you might have on the FRWL gunbarrel!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    FRWL is...good but not outstanding, a tad understated, even. Barry is working his way toward the musical template, much as he is with the rest of the score.
    Time for Number 007, which is...

LICENCE TO KILL

Ranked between 2nd and 21st place, Licence to Kill received 4 votes in the ones, 5 votes in the tens and 1 in the twenties. It scored 153 points.

I ranked it in 10th place. This gunbarrel kicks ass—it's full of drama and intensity. The segue from the tense opening into the Bond theme in its traditional form is so cool. The music fits the film like a glove and it's very memorable. I also love how the riff is played on guitar AND strings. The melody ends up sounding both hard-edged and graceful.

Tell us what you think!
    #14. It used to be one of my least favorites but now I think it’s ok. It’s certainly an original take and while the over-the-top arrangement is not necessarily my cup of tea, it’s miles better than its direct successor.