The movie poster thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Cracking 70's posters there @Torgeirtrap, I was a big Burt movie fan in my youth, he was one of the early action stars along with the likes of Eastwood and Mcqueen.

Regarding 4K I have I think 5 4K streaming devices well 6 including my TV itself. A bit over the top as I rarely use a few of them. The streaming devices themselves especially FireTV devices are reasonably cheap when on sale.

I must admit I've seen very few Burt Reynolds films – even Smokey and the Bandit! I do have a DVD release of the film around here somewhere though, so I should probably give it a watch.

I've considered the Fire TV too (and it's not unlikely that I will get one), but since I have several Apple products already, I think it's easier to stay within the same "ecosystem" of products. I have two iPads, two Macbooks, an iPhone and an Apple TV, and the user experience between the devices are really good.

This is a good place to start regarding Burt, I love this film. If you have never heard anything about this film you will get an awesome surprise with this trailer.

I'm pretty sure I've seen The Cannonball Run at some point, but unfortunately I remember very little from it. Should give it a watch again!

The movie poster isn't bad either. Very 80's!

MV5BNDJmZDRkMDAtM2JiNS00ZjdlLThiOTYtMWVhODJmYmY1MGEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

That poster looks fantastic, I have just bought myself a new PC with Windows 11 the clarity is impressive.
    And here's the french poster :

s-l500.jpg
    Cracking 70's posters there @Torgeirtrap, I was a big Burt movie fan in my youth, he was one of the early action stars along with the likes of Eastwood and Mcqueen.

Regarding 4K I have I think 5 4K streaming devices well 6 including my TV itself. A bit over the top as I rarely use a few of them. The streaming devices themselves especially FireTV devices are reasonably cheap when on sale.

I must admit I've seen very few Burt Reynolds films – even Smokey and the Bandit! I do have a DVD release of the film around here somewhere though, so I should probably give it a watch.

I've considered the Fire TV too (and it's not unlikely that I will get one), but since I have several Apple products already, I think it's easier to stay within the same "ecosystem" of products. I have two iPads, two Macbooks, an iPhone and an Apple TV, and the user experience between the devices are really good.

This is a good place to start regarding Burt, I love this film. If you have never heard anything about this film you will get an awesome surprise with this trailer.

I'm pretty sure I've seen The Cannonball Run at some point, but unfortunately I remember very little from it. Should give it a watch again!

MV5BNDJmZDRkMDAtM2JiNS00ZjdlLThiOTYtMWVhODJmYmY1MGEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

That poster looks fantastic, I have just bought myself a new PC with Windows 11 the clarity is impressive.

The quality of PCs and laptops these days are really something compared to even 7-10 years ago. My new Macbook which I use through work, is incredible.
    Gerard wrote: »

s-l500.jpg

Cool! Very different to the American one for sure.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

The quality of PCs and laptops these days are really something compared to even 7-10 years ago. My new Macbook which I use through work, is incredible.

s-l500.jpg

French poster very retro, I like it..

Windows 11 is insanely fast I am very impressed, just looking for some great wallpapers to use though the default wallpaper is visually quite impressive and my two monitors are only 1080p.
    And while we're on that subject, here's the poster for Gumball Rally :

full.thegumballrally_3014__52888.1638743270.jpg?c=2?imbypass=on

s-l500.jpg

French poster very retro, I like it..

Windows 11 is insanely fast I am very impressed, just looking for some great wallpapers to use though the default wallpaper is visually quite impressive and my two monitors are only 1080p.

I usually stick with default wallpapers on my Macbooks. Having your own wallpapers can be fun, but I personally find it easier to read file names etc. using default ones.
    And while we're on that subject, here's the poster for Gumball Rally :

full.thegumballrally_3014__52888.1638743270.jpg?c=2?imbypass=on

Really like this one! The artwork looks like something that could have been made by Jack Davis.

7306a27cc6af8d1ee1ddc03dc60e4520.jpg
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,327
    That makes sense I reverted back to the default as it looks pretty good, Windows 11 appears to have taken some influence from Mac OS.
    WIndows-11.png

---

685558497905731_mainphoto.jpg

MV5BOWVjMDU2N2EtYmM1ZC00NGY5LWFlYjctODgxMGQxYTQyNzMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    63daa709d2655fb9039dd65ad7d40de1.jpg

Fantastic one of Ray Harryhausen's best.

9a6bf4a9e0747188d67595db1f75fef2.jpg

Another Harryhausen...
    one_million_years_bc_by_harnois75_dd26zaz-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9OTIyIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvYWI4YjE2YTYtMjhjNC00NTM2LTk4MzctNDQwZThlOTNlODZlXC9kZDI2emF6LThhNzFhNjZkLTBkMGYtNDU2Ni1iMzRiLWM3MjQxZmY2ZTI5Yi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.gB93Tzo3sizYbkh1QwqjUjNknHkoMc22NqRqpwe_HJw

And as a double feature...
    img01.jpg
    That makes sense I reverted back to the default as it looks pretty good, Windows 11 appears to have taken some influence from Mac OS.
    WIndows-11.png

That's definitely a nice looking wallpaper, @Fire_and_Ice_Return. It certainly looks like they've taken some influence from the Mac OS – but I guess that goes both ways.

MV5BOWVjMDU2N2EtYmM1ZC00NGY5LWFlYjctODgxMGQxYTQyNzMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I like how energetic (in lack of a better word) the Jack Davis movie posters are. He really had a unique and recognisable style.

Is this a more recent poster for Clash of the Titans, @Thunderfinger? It looks like Francesco Francavilla artwork to me.

Looking at that double-bill poster of One Million Years B.C.., and She, makes you wonder why Raquel Welch never became a Bond girl, like Ursula Andress. Both were very much "scene-stealers" back in the day.
    WIndows-11.png

That's definitely a nice looking wallpaper, @Fire_and_Ice_Return. It certainly looks like they've taken some influence from the Mac OS – but I guess that goes both ways.

I like how energetic (in lack of a better word) the Jack Davis movie posters are. He really had a unique and recognisable style.

Is this a more recent poster for Clash of the Titans, @Thunderfinger? It looks like Francesco Francavilla artwork to me.

Looking at that double-bill poster of One Million Years B.C.., and She, makes you wonder why Raquel Welch never became a Bond girl, like Ursula Andress. Both were very much "scene-stealers" back in the day.

Those posters by Davis (I did not know the artist until you mentioned it) are frantic and anarchic reflecting some of the films they represented very much of that era.

I recall Raquel was considered at one point I can't remember for which film exactly. Raquel did appear in her own spy movie...

de8aba996914ff40cf6f9fcbba2357d9.jpg

Fathom (Opening Titles)

Written by Lorenzo Semple who wrote on Batman 66.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 17,279
    WIndows-11.png

Those posters by Davis (I did not know the artist until you mentioned it) are frantic and anarchic reflecting some of the films they represented very much of that era.

I recall Raquel was considered at one point I can't remember for which film exactly. Raquel did appear in her own spy movie...

de8aba996914ff40cf6f9fcbba2357d9.jpg

Fathom (Opening Titles)

Written by Lorenzo Semple who wrote on Batman 66.

Oh indeed, the posters he made certainly reflected the films they depicted just perfectly!

Interesting! Didn't know she was actually considered for a role at some point. I do recall watching Fathom at some point, but it's many years ago and I remember very little from the film (despite it featuring Welch!). Must try and find a copy or digital download somewhere, and watch it again.
    @Torgeirtrap , I don t think it s an original. Could be Francavilla, yes.
    @Torgeirtrap , I don t think it s an original. Could be Francavilla, yes.

Looks like it's a Mondo poster by Francavilla!
    @Torgeirtrap Raquel was considered for the Tiffany Case role.
    @Torgeirtrap Raquel was considered for the Tiffany Case role.

Ah, I see how she could have been a good fit for that role. In the end, I think Jill St. John was perfect for that role and I wouldn't have changed her for anyone else.
    R.8abd8f4da9b93eecffc883d27382658c?rik=0OzeFX9q2Ik%2fGQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2f3.bp.blogspot.com%2f-KNOUOWdKBZM%2fT20uGd0dx3I%2fAAAAAAAAAGg%2fHRDSuP4Y_S0%2fs1600%2fvrx.jpg&ehk=cQ8UJqVH411DWyvvK0NNd%2fdEEZffbWLBSbEL2uy%2fjCA%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    Love that Frank McCarthy poster. Few did (if any at all) poster art like he did. Incredible stuff!
    And now, a classic series of french comedies :

affiche-de-film.jpg

18657592.jpg

affiche-du-film-GENDARME-SE-MARIE-LE-120x160.jpg

le_gendarme_en_ballade02.jpg

s-l400.jpg

affiche-du-film-34-le-gendarme-et-les-extra-terrestres-34-1979-louis-de-funes-michel-galabru-1150226432_ML.jpg

MV5BOTU1OTMyODQtMjk2Yy00N2U3LTk2ZTktZTIzYWNmNTZhODczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
    affiche-de-film.jpg

18657592.jpg

s-l400.jpg

affiche-du-film-34-le-gendarme-et-les-extra-terrestres-34-1979-louis-de-funes-michel-galabru-1150226432_ML.jpg

Had to look up these, as I've never heard of these films before. Worth a watch @Gerard? I really like the approach of the first three of these: the first mixing illustration styles, and the other two using both illustrations/line art and photos.

MV5BOTU1OTMyODQtMjk2Yy00N2U3LTk2ZTktZTIzYWNmNTZhODczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

A few years ago I found Gunn on Youtube in it's entirety by accident. Decent film. Haven't had the chance to watch the TV series though. I wonder who the poster artist is?

Here are a few other posters for the same film. Really like the detail in the first one, where he holds the title in his right hand!:

gunn-movie-poster.jpg?v=1456433224
    MV5BMjg4MmY2M2EtYmQxNC00MWEyLWI0MzAtOGVhMmVhNzdhNzdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDMxMjQwMw@@._V1_.jpg
    gunn-japanese-movie-poster.jpg?v=1519460492
    affiche-de-film.jpg

18657592.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Had to look up these, as I've never heard of these films before. Worth a watch @Gerard? I really like the approach of the first three of these: the first mixing illustration styles, and the other two using both illustrations/line art and photos.

A few years ago I found Gunn on Youtube in it's entirety by accident. Decent film. Haven't had the chance to watch the TV series though. I wonder who the poster artist is?

Here are a few other posters for the same film. Really like the detail in the first one, where he holds the title in his right hand!:

gunn-movie-poster.jpg?v=1456433224
    MV5BMjg4MmY2M2EtYmQxNC00MWEyLWI0MzAtOGVhMmVhNzdhNzdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDMxMjQwMw@@._V1_.jpg
    gunn-japanese-movie-poster.jpg?v=1519460492

GUNN was on TV the other night I only caught a bit of it as was working, I will watch it again on catch up App. Season 2 and 3 of Peter Gunn are on Prime Video so added them to my watchlist. Decades ago I watched random episodes though never got into the show.
    I've seen the odd Peter Gunn episode available on Youtube, but the video quality have always been very low. Not unwatchable, but enough for me to skip giving those episodes a watch.
    R.5f927beb9fd4ace5db756184c9cbb70b?rik=zPyjDeb%2bopz6Og&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.horrorsociety.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2013%2f02%2fByzantium-movie-poster.jpg&ehk=8G7jVJRKcLTiPRSX0blBL6Vcn6FAiwA%2b7EfzoI5TCQo%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    I haven t seen the film, but love this poster. 2012.
    R.5f927beb9fd4ace5db756184c9cbb70b?rik=zPyjDeb%2bopz6Og&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.horrorsociety.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2013%2f02%2fByzantium-movie-poster.jpg&ehk=8G7jVJRKcLTiPRSX0blBL6Vcn6FAiwA%2b7EfzoI5TCQo%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    I haven t seen the film, but love this poster. 2012.

I watched the film when it was released the poster does not really reflect the tone of the film, the film is quite bleak it was not really my cup of tea to be honest.
    The movie poster should definitely reflect the tone of the film, so this poster might have failed in doing it's job, but wow does it look great with that angled typography!

It also features Gemma Arterton and Bernard Lee's grandson I see – Jonny Lee Miller.
    R.c42a0540d5b02a48649bbe6ce6afd48d?rik=tyI8wRmgU7gTOg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.notrecinema.com%2fimages%2fcache%2fle-grand-depart-vers-la-lune-poster_391162_40971.jpg&ehk=7lj%2ftVqoEDPwIr%2fMSWQaRJL0BZRu%2f%2fYebWkhHUTq%2fXo%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    I like this one. Haven t seen this film either.
    R.c42a0540d5b02a48649bbe6ce6afd48d?rik=tyI8wRmgU7gTOg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.notrecinema.com%2fimages%2fcache%2fle-grand-depart-vers-la-lune-poster_391162_40971.jpg&ehk=7lj%2ftVqoEDPwIr%2fMSWQaRJL0BZRu%2f%2fYebWkhHUTq%2fXo%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    I like this one. Haven t seen this film either.

Really like this one! That's quite the cast too; Terry Thomas, Daliah Lavi, Gert Frobe, etc – and directed by Don Sharp. Should be worth a watch.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,327
    Two of my favorite films...

07dd9871bc0aa2cae98e0b482a80b75f.jpg

309f8ce301bac6a6041a5b9958e01fd5.jpg

Two of my favorite films...

07dd9871bc0aa2cae98e0b482a80b75f.jpg

309f8ce301bac6a6041a5b9958e01fd5.jpg

Ditto! Love them both, and great posters, particularly the second!