"I don t drink...wine."- The Dracula Thread

Comments

Denbigh wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I just wish there was a proper adaptation of the novel somewhere.

I also noticed we actually seldom talk about the source material on this thread.

Well you might get this with Moffat's upcoming TV series. They've already confirmed it'll take place in Victorian London.

I don't know. I generally like Gatiss, but this article got me worried: https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-02-01/dracula-will-be-the-hero-of-his-own-story-in-radical-reinterpretation-by-sherlock-creators/

The actor playing Drac does look nasty though. And they seem to want the character to be villainous.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Revelator wrote: »
    There is also the comic book BATMAN & DRACULA: RED RAIN (1991) by Doug Moench, Kelley Jones and Malcolm Jones III

And the sequel Red Rain, wherein Batman himself becomes a vampire and goes out of control:

UicSkrp.jpg

These stories are part of a bigger "Elseworlds" label, in which Batman encounters more than just vampires. "Haunted Gotham" is a spiritual sequel to Red Rain, another book I recommend. Altogether, the Elseworlds collections are a must-read for Batman fans who are active in this thread. (As an aside, some of the more contested visual elements of BvS have a bit of an origin in this title, so for that reason alone, I think more people should explore the wider Batman universe. ;-))
  • Revelator wrote: »
    There is also the comic book BATMAN & DRACULA: RED RAIN (1991) by Doug Moench, Kelley Jones and Malcolm Jones III

And the sequel Red Rain, wherein Batman himself becomes a vampire and goes out of control:

UicSkrp.jpg

That was a fantastic, totally bonkers, anything-goes trilogy. Very entertaining.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I need to get my hands on those sooner or later.
    Bram Stoker's Dracula's Curse (2006) directed by Leigh Scott does not feature Dracula and is not based on Stoker at all. It takes place in modern day New York and features a Van Helsing and a Countess Bathorly.
    Also from 2006 is a tv adaptation of Stoker s book, DRACULA directed by Bill Eagles and starring Marc Warren as Dracula.
    8f3bd514e64d6f23977ab73c84dd1b832d4655ba.jpg

Dan Stevens, who some here have suggested for Bond, plays Arthur Holmwood.
    hqdefault.jpg

Also from 2006 is a tv adaptation of Stoker s book, DRACULA directed by Bill Eagles and starring Marc Warren as Dracula.

hqdefault.jpg

Ouch. Little I have seen of it... It's bad! Casting Warren as Dracula is like casting Leonardo Di Caprio as Bond. How the heck is that supposed to work?
    I haven t seen it. Have no interest either.
    Imagine if Christopher Lee had redone his role for Dan Curtis in his tv movie BRAM STOKER S DRACULA
    1.-Dracula-1-810x456.jpg

and Jack Palance had played Scaramanga in THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    craze-9.jpg?w=388&h=228
    I haven t seen it. Have no interest either.

I've only seen it once, and you're not missing much. I personally don't mind versions of the novel that take extreme liberties with the story and or characters. However, this is yet another version that feels like a Dracula adaptation without Dracula. Marc Warren could be playing any random vampire character more in the style of Anne Rice or Twilight. There's really nothing remotely about his look or performance that shouts "Dracula" to me.

hqdefault.jpg

Ouch. Little I have seen of it... It's bad! Casting Warren as Dracula is like casting Leonardo Di Caprio as Bond. How the heck is that supposed to work?

Good comparison.
    YOUNG DRACULA is a British tv series for children that ran for three seasons 2011-14. Keith Lee Castle as Dracula and Gerran Howell as his son Vlad. The series takes place in Wales, the new home of the vampire family.
    If you want to mention series for kids, why not mention the best ?

latest?cb=20100807200739

Here's one of my favourite passages :

Duckula was truly funny. I also loved The Little Vampire tv series, where Dracula is mentioned (although he does not appear). Gert Fröbe plays the role of the vampire hunter (I believe it was his last role).
    Assisted Living Dracula

SUPERNATURAL is an American tv series that has been going since 2005. In an episode from 2008, Monster Movie, Dracula is played by Todd Stashwick.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPWRiwwos2P_TKOY0F7vquBVhe7CGqLxazZ2Vh2h8RAaJrcX4m
    DRACULA 3D (2012) directed by Dario Argento stars Thomas Kretschmann as Dracula. Kretschmann later played van Helsing in a tv series. The film is shot in Italy, and is based on the Stoker novel.
    d3d_1.jpg
    DRACULA 3D (2012) directed by Dario Argento stars Thomas Kretschmann as Dracula. Kretschmann later played van Helsing in a tv series. The film is shot in Italy, and is based on the Stoker novel.
    d3d_1.jpg

This is one I've never seen, but have a feeling I'd like in spite of the bad word of mouth. Kretschmann looks like a great Dracula.
    I have not seen it, either. It was Argento s first 3d film. Not sure if he has done more since.
    d3d_1.jpg

How close is it to the novel I wonder.
  • Not very.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    Not very.

I'm not surprised. Ironic for a novel that is, consciously or unconsciously, a piece of Catholic propaganda (and I know Bram Stoker was officially protestant).
    Maven of the Eventide reviews Coppola's Dracula. She is far too forgiving with that bloated, self-important movie, but her analysis is nevertheles interesting and she does call Coppola on claiming his film had anything to do with the novel. Also, and more importantly, she sets the record straight on the non existent filiation between Val Tepes and Stoker's Count Dracula (spoiler alert: Stoker knew jack about Vlad). She did her homework, Coppola did not:

Of all the things I never expected to see :

STL117609?type=1
    (W) Bruno Enna (A) Fabio Celoni, Luca Merli
    The bizarre and frightening rise up in this adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula! Trapped in Dracula's castle, Jonathan Ratker (Mickey Mouse) must find a way to escape and return to his love, Minnina. Meanwhile, Minnina and Doctor Goofy Van Helsing are dealing with the supernatural themselves . . . Could Dracula be after the one Jonathan Ratker loves most?
    In Shops: Jul 17, 2019

And what about Donald Duck, you might say ? I'm glad you asked !

STL117608?type=1
    (W) Bruno Enna (A) Fabio Celoni, Luca Merli
    An electrifying adaptation of the classic novel by Mary Shelley!

Donald Duck is Doctor Victor von Duckenstein-a doctor with a talent for the art of creation. Drawing inspiration from old books of science, Victor finds the means to make his vision into a reality. Through countless experiments, Victor conceives a breathing, living creature of horrible sight with intentions unknown. What has Victor created, and what does this creature want?
    In Shops: Jul 31, 2019

I may have to buy those.
    I'd like to see those as well.
    It's probably more faithful than Coppola's Drac.
    It's probably more faithful than Coppola's Drac.

That wouldn't be difficult.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 7,653

Bram Stoker Dracula has easily the most impressive sountrack of them all. with a haunting love theme.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I agree, @SaintMark, though I must admit that Williams's score for the Frank Langella film is mighty great too.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I agree, @SaintMark, though I must admit that Williams's score for the Frank Langella film is mighty great too.

True but this soundtrack is really awesome, easily one of my more favorite ones.