"I don t drink...wine."- The Dracula Thread

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    DRACULA-DEAD AND LOVING IT (1995) was Mel Brooks last movie, at least to date. Starring Leslie Nielsen in the title role. Mel Brooks himself as Van Helsing.
    91lCTcCeRbL._RI_SX200_.jpg

“She’s Nosferatu.”

“She’s Italian?”
    Gerard wrote: »

Funny scene. Kind of an underrated gem this film.

Not as successful as YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, though. I think perhaps because that film focused mainly on spoofing the Universal films, this one spoofs everything from Universal, Hammer, Franco to Coppola. I saw this in the cinema when it came out and there were probably only 2 other audience members in attendance.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Has anyone here seen MASKS OF EVIL, a 1999 episode in the series THE ADVENTURES OF YOUNG INDIANA JONES?

Taking place in 1918, he encounters someone very reminiscent of Vlad Tepes.
    jonesandtargo.jpg?w=700
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,754
    DRACULA-DEAD AND LOVING IT (1995) was Mel Brooks last movie, at least to date. Starring Leslie Nielsen in the title role. Mel Brooks himself as Van Helsing.
    91lCTcCeRbL._RI_SX200_.jpg

This is a very funny bit to me. Something about Brooks' delivery and accent. The punchline that comes afterwards is not as funny.

-Dr. Seward: Oh, Count Dracula, allow me to introduce Professor Abraham Van Helsing, of London University. He's a doctor of rare diseases as well as theology and philosophy.
    (Van Helsing turns to face Dr. Seward)
    -Van Helsing: Und gynecology!
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,754
    Has anyone here seen MASKS OF EVIL, a 1999 episode in the series THE ADVENTURES OF YOUNG INDIANA JONES?

Taking place in 1918, he encounters someone very reminiscent of Vlad Tepes.
    jonesandtargo.jpg?w=700

I haven't seen that in a long time. I'd like to watch it again. I remember thinking it was not the right kind of story for Indiana Jones so it felt off to me. Maybe my opinion would be different today.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 1,644
    Blooper : Draculas image is reflected in the water in DHRFTG :P

November 2018 : DHRFTG turned 50

1959 , 60 yrs ago : HoD is released world wide (although i think the first 2 were banned in Norway and DHRFTG were slightly trimmed in cinema)

Hammer Draculas , my ranking :

Prince or Scars
    Horror
    HRFTG
    Taste (ending is kinda anti climatic imo)
    AD '72 (Drac shouldve been roaming around 70s Lon , seen dead drug addicts on the streets and tried to suck their blood.....at least for a few scenes , also why did Munro not turned into a vampire ?)
    Satanic
    DRACULA 2000 (2000) aka DRACULA 2001 was directed by Patrick Lussier and starring Gerard Butler of TND fame as Dracula.
    dracula-2000-pictures-3.jpg

The movie takes place in New Orleans and Dracula s origin is not Vlad tepes here, but
    Judas Iscariot

It had two direct to video sequels, ASCENSION (2003) and LEGACY (2005). Both also directed by Lussier, who has said he has plans for a fourth installment.

DRACULA 2000 (2000) aka DRACULA 2001 was directed by Patrick Lussier and starring Gerard Butler of TND fame as Dracula.

The movie takes place in New Orleans and Dracula s origin is not Vlad tepes here, but
    Judas Iscariot

It had two direct to video sequels, ASCENSION (2003) and LEGACY (2005). Both also directed by Lussier, who has said he has plans for a fourth installment.

Never cared for Dracula's true identity. Still, it's kind of a fun film . I also enjoyed the sequels.
    Gerard Butler kind of reminds me of Brendan Hughes' Dracula in the 1989 film TO DIE FOR. That one also set in contemporary (well, 1989) times.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Judas Iscariot

Never cared for Dracula's true identity.quote]

It is outrageous, more so than Vlad Tepes. Imo.

Judas Iscariot

It's pretty silly. I prefer Count Dracula to just be Count Dracula.

Judas Iscariot

It's pretty silly. I prefer Count Dracula to just be Count Dracula.

Yes to that, like in the book and Marvel as far as I know, but there is still room to experiment and rewrite.
    Didn t Buffy encounter Dracula in an episode?

Judas Iscariot

Abysmally stupid plot twist.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 45,489
    In 2001 came a Dracula musical, with score by Frank Wildhorn, and lyrics by Don Black and Christopher Hampton. Based on the Stoker book for the most part, it premiered in La Jolla, California and starred Tom Hewitt as Dracula.

It was also a success elsewhere in later years-Broadway 2004 where Hewitt reprised his role , St Gallen 2005 starring Thomas Borckert/Drew Sarich, Graz 2007 with Thomas Borckert, Tokyo 2011 with Yoka Wao, Pforzheim 2013 with Chris Murray, Kristianstad 2014 with Johan Wikstrøm. and Seoul 2014 with Ryu Jung-Han/Kim Junsu/Park Eun-Suk.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2019 Posts: 13,894
    The only two things I liked about Dracula 2001 were Christopher Plummer as Van Helsing, and the idea that Dracula was Judas Iscariot. It's a unique angle to come at Dracula from. But on the whole, it isn't one of my favourite Dracula films.
    Stephen Sommers VAN HELSING (2004) stars Hugh Jackman in the title role, as he fights a plethora of classic monsters, includingTransylvanian ruler Vladislaus Dracula as played by Richard Roxburgh. Robbie Coltrane provides the voice of Mr Hyde. This takes place in the late 1880s.
    hugh-jackman-kate-beckinsale-van-helsing.jpg?itok=2MQx0S-9
    The only two things I liked about Dracula 2001 were Christopher Plummer as Van Helsing, and the idea that Dracula was Judas Iscariot. It's a unique angle to come at Dracula from. But on the whole, it isn't one of my favourite Dracula films.

It's not a unique angle it's a baffling one. A twist for the sake of creating one.
    Ludovico wrote: »

It's not a unique angle it's a baffling one. A twist for the sake of creating one.

Dracula as "the eternal jew".
    BLADE: TRINITY (2004) aka BLADE III or BLADE III: TRINITY, directed by David S. Goyer and starring Wesley Snipes as the Marvel character Blade. It is the final Blade film so far, Dominic Pursell is Drake/Dracula.
    BladeTrinity.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ryan Reynolds is epic in that film.
    Should have cast someone other than Snipes, though. For anyone interested, here is one of those "Everything Wrong..." videos.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah, the EWW videos. Nah, I'm gonna pass.
    is that too much to ask to have a proper, faithful adaptation of the novel?
    DRACULA 3000 (2004) aka DRACULA 3000: INFINITE DARKNESS is a tv movie directed by Darrell Roodt with Langley Kirkwood as Count Orlock.
    It places Dracula in space in the 30th century.
    51IIyKTjrPL._SX342_.jpg
    DRACULA 3000 (2004) aka DRACULA 3000: INFINITE DARKNESS is a tv movie directed by Darrell Roodt with Langley Kirkwood as Count Orlock.
    It places Dracula in space in the 30th century.
    51IIyKTjrPL._SX342_.jpg

I kind of liked it as odd as it was.
    I just wish there was a proper adaptation of the novel somewhere.

I also noticed we actually seldom talk about the source material on this thread.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 45,489
    THE BATMAN VS DRACULA (2005) is an animated movie first aired on Cartoon Network, and based on the Batman tv series. The cover name of dr Alucard is again used. Rino Romano does the voicework for Batman/ Bruce Wayne, and Peter Stormare provides the voice of Dracula.

It isn t the first time Batman encounters Dracula. He also did so in the unofficial films BATMAN DRACULA (1964)

and BATMAN FIGHTS DRACULA (1967)
    MV5BMzA2MjJjMDktMmM4Zi00MmNkLWI0YzMtYzVkMjlhNDY1ZTc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_.jpg

There is also the comic book BATMAN & DRACULA: RED RAIN (1991) by Doug Moench, Kelley Jones and Malcolm Jones III
    maxresdefault.jpg

Another comic book story where they meet is THE BATMAN STRIKES no 15: THE ONLY ONES, which is a tie-in to the 2005 animated movie.
    4824405d78949e8c3e-8.jpg
    There is also the comic book BATMAN & DRACULA: RED RAIN (1991) by Doug Moench, Kelley Jones and Malcolm Jones III

And the sequel Red Rain, wherein Batman himself becomes a vampire and goes out of control:

UicSkrp.jpg

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I just wish there was a proper adaptation of the novel somewhere.

I also noticed we actually seldom talk about the source material on this thread.

Well you might get this with Moffat's upcoming TV series. They've already confirmed it'll take place in Victorian London.