"I don t drink...wine."- The Dracula Thread

Comments

That's an adaptation I didn't see. Myself, I remember Ms. Bowker from The Adventures of Black Beauty. But, reading her page on Wikipedia, I saw that she also had parts in TV adaptations of Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde and The Picture of Dorian Gray.
    Perfect English rose and perfect to play Victorian heroines.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 5,772
    Here's a video by a guy who tries to find which version of Dracula is the most faithful to the book :

After watching the video, I may have to check the availability of the 1977 BBC production.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There are too many Dracula adaptations out there to count.

My own top five favourite films:

1 NOSFERATU: EINE SYMPHONIE DES GRAUENS (F.W. Murnau,1922)
    2 BRAM STOKER S DRACULA (F.F. Coppola,1992)
    3 DRACULA (T. Browning,1931)
    4 COUNT DRACULA (J. Franco,1970)
    5 THE RETURN OF DRACULA (P. Landres,1958)

I also must mention
    CUADECUC, VAMPIR (P. Portabella,1970)
    There are too many Dracula adaptations out there to count.

My own top five favourite films:

1 NOSFERATU: EINE SYMPHONIE DES GRAUENS (F.W. Murnau,1922)
    2 BRAM STOKER S DRACULA (F.F. Coppola,1992)
    3 DRACULA (T. Browning,1931)
    4 COUNT DRACULA (J. Franco,1970)
    5 THE RETURN OF DRACULA (P. Landres,1958)

I also must mention
    CUADECUC, VAMPIR (P. Portabella,1970)

Good list. I think I'll do a top 10, because it's difficult for me to narrow it down to five:

1. HORROR OF DRACULA (1958)
    2. DRACULA (1931)
    3. DRACULA (1974)
    4. DRACULA (1979)
    5. SON OF DRACULA (1943)
    6. DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE (1968)
    7. THE RETURN OF DRACULA (1958)
    8. BILLY THE KID VS DRACULA (1966)
    9. COUNT DRACULA (1977)
    10. DRACULA-PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1966)

It's difficult for me to make a list like this. I'd say Nosferatu is the greatest Dracula adaptation, Horror of Dracula the best "official" one, The Satanic Rites of Dracula the most underrated, the BBC adaptation (the one from 1977) the most faithful in spite of its many flaws and one of the best efforts.

I'd also add again that the aesthetic of the BBC adaptation and its lack of special effects are really, really close to the spirit of the novel.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Holy water, Batman! The 1974 version was written by Richard Matheson! Now I *HAVE* to get it!!!!!
    Just ordered the Curtis/Matheson version. Never saw it (!). Saw the 1979 Badham version and just felt it was a little too over-produced and slick. Kind of like how Badham's American version of La Femme Nikita was... as of right now, Lee's Horror Of Dracula, Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, & Dracula AD 1972 are my favourites. I'll let y'all know how this compares (for me) in a week or so.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Just ordered the Curtis/Matheson version. Never saw it (!). Saw the 1979 Badham version and just felt it was a little too over-produced and slick. Kind of like how Badham's American version of La Femme Nikita was... as of right now, Lee's Horror Of Dracula, Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, & Dracula AD 1972 are my favourites. I'll let y'all know how this compares (for me) in a week or so.

The Palance version is one of my favorites!
    ToTheRight wrote: »

It may turn out out be one of mine as well.
    But...
    Billy The Kid Vs. Dracula?
    Oh well, who am I to comment here? I like The Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires a lot... ;)

Palance in the role is certainly at the top of the pile.

It may turn out out be one of mine as well.
    But...
    Billy The Kid Vs. Dracula?
    Oh well, who am I to comment here? I like The Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires a lot... ;)

I love BILLY THE KID VS DRACULA. Such a guilty pleasure, and I can't think of any other actor other than Carradine (as bored as he was) to pull this one off. He considered it his worst film, but it's certainly a of of fun. I also love the goatee, red lined cloak and top hat.
    Can't be any worse than Dracula 2000 and Coppola's Dracula.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Can't be any worse than Dracula 2000 and Coppola's Dracula.

I'll take both LEGEND of the 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES and BILLY THE KID over those two any day.
    @Ludovico, how do you feel about Coppola s Dracula?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The Order of the Dracul - The Dragonpol.

I'm not him, but I'll take a stab at this question: It basically sucked. And not in a good way. Oh yeah, moody, well photographed, lots of talent... but ultimately a self-indulgent FAIL.

Was I too harsh? ;)

I'm not him, but I'll take a stab at this question: It basically sucked. And not in a good way. Oh yeah, moody, well photographed, lots of talent... but ultimately a self-indulgent FAIL.

Was I too harsh? ;)

That's pretty much how I feel about it. Although there are a lot of talentless actors in it (or at least utterly miscast) : Winona Ryder, Keanu Reeves, Sadie Frost. I'd add that even Hopkins and Oldman are miscast and grossly ham up their characters.

Was I too harsh? ;)

That's pretty much how I feel about it. Although there are a lot of talentless actors in it (or at least utterly miscast) : Winona Ryder, Keanu Reeves, Sadie Frost. I'd add that even Hopkins and Oldman are miscast and grossly ham up their characters.

Agreed absolutely.
    Disagreed absolutely. One of my favourite films.

That's up to you, but it's factually the least faithful to the novel.

And narratively it's a nameless mess.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,687
    You have no idea how much I wanted to like it. Or how many times I watched it hoping I'd see it differently 'this' time. But sorry man, the film is objectively a flawed piece & a somewhat missed opportunity. Subjectively it's a pure waste of time & attention.
    I'm eagerly awaiting my Blu Ray of Dracula 1973 starring Jack Palance. It's basically a British production, so I'm assuming it'll have similar production values to the cool Hammer films, but with the Richard Matheson vision & depth I've seen in his other screenplays. I've read reviews that suggest this one shows us both the human (though twisted) side of the character as well as his monstrous animal nature. I hope I'm not expecting too much...
    I'm eagerly awaiting my Blu Ray of Dracula 1973 starring Jack Palance. It's basically a British production, so I'm assuming it'll have similar production values to the cool Hammer films, but with the Richard Matheson vision & depth I've seen in his other screenplays. I've read reviews that suggest this one shows us both the human (though twisted) side of the character as well as his monstrous animal nature. I hope I'm not expecting too much...

This was the film that introduced Mina as a reincarnation of Dracula s wife. It scared me severely as a kid. It was the first Dracula I saw.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 14,799
    You have no idea how much I wanted to like it. Or how many times I watched it hoping I'd see it differently 'this' time. But sorry man, the film is objectively a flawed piece & a somewhat missed opportunity. Subjectively it's a pure waste of time & attention.

Same here : I really, really wanted to like it. Especially since Coppola gloated that he was doing a faithful adaptation.

What's even more infuriating is that he was not even original in his departures from the novel!

Same here : I really, really wanted to like it. Especially since Coppola gloated that he was doing a faithful adaptation.

What's even more infuriating is that he was not even original in his departures from the novel!

I've always felt the Coppola film was an adaptation that substitutes Stoker's creation with the historical Dracula. I suppose the Palance version does as well, to degree, but I far more believe his Count than Oldman's, TBH.

The Oscar winning costumes and make up get quite a bit of praise for the Coppola film, but it always bothered me the amount of liberties taken for Dracula. Apparently Eiko Ishioka had never seen a Dracula film or vampire film prior to being hired and was given creative licence. For me that's the equivalent to having never seen a Batman movie before and dressing the Dark Knight in red overall like Dennis The Menace.

I've always felt the Coppola film was an adaptation that substitutes Stoker's creation with the historical Dracula. I suppose the Palance version does as well, to degree, but I far more believe his Count than Oldman's, TBH.

The Oscar winning costumes and make up get quite a bit of praise for the Coppola film, but it always bothered me the amount of liberties taken for Dracula. Apparently Eiko Ishioka had never seen a Dracula film or vampire film prior to being hired and was given creative licence. For me that's the equivalent to having never seen a Batman movie before and dressing the Dark Knight in red overall like Dennis The Menace.

I'm kind of surprised she never saw a single Dracula movie, seeing that the old Dracula looked like Count Orlock in a drag. And Coppola borrowed so many things from other movies : the never drinking wine line, the sentient shadow of Dracula, the portrait of Mina, Renfield knowing Dracula before he came to England, etc. He either stole shamelessly from other films or did not bother reading the novel.