Controversial opinions about other movies

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I remember him as Zorro.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I love Tarantino's first three films as well as True Romance but he's definitely a has been. The Hateful Eight was a joke. Give me a western with John Wayne anyday.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 12,914
    I remember him as Zorro.
    Me, too. ...Here's to being free...
    I remember him as Zorro.

LA LA LALA LA LA LA......... Zorro's back
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I don't like any Quentin Tarantino movies. Most overrated director ever IMO. That's my biggest controversial opinion on movies.

Love Tarantino movies. Easily one of my favorites!

Avatar is probably the worst movie experience I've had. Just couldn't get what other people praised it for. Nice visuals, nothing else.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    As many LAs as "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?" if I got my LAs right.

And that's a lot of LAs.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I really hate Forrest Gump

Sentimental garbage, with a vomit inducing political message and each decade presented as nothing more than a caricature.

When Gump does try to say something meaningful his microphone is conveniently unplugged.

Ticked all the Academy award boxes. And Tom Hanks wisely never went 'full retard'
    You are completely right. The only Tom Hanks movie that is even worse (that I know of) is THE GREEN MILE. Stupid, pseudo-religious, and also sentimental garbage trying to make believe that professional, paid killers (the death row crew) aren't so bad at all. Hated it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I don't like any Quentin Tarantino movies. Most overrated director ever IMO. That's my biggDANest controversial opinion on movies.

Love Tarantino movies. Easily one of my favorites!

Avatar is probably the worst movie experience I've had. Just couldn't get what other people praised it for. Nice visuals, nothing else.
    Follow you on both counts. Haven't seen a Tarantino film I haven't enjoyed, found THE HATEFUL EIGHT a brilliant piece of actor-centered moviemaking (though no Western in the classical sense), and find AVATAR a complete POS. A cheap copy of DANCES WITH WOLVES having a kind of Smurves instead of Native Americans.

Possibly next Controversial Opinion: James Cameron is one of the most overrated directors around and has come up with very few decent movies, the number of which neither includes THE ABYSS, nor TITANIC, nor AVATAR.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    LA confidential which is held up as some kind of great piece of cinema

I think is garbage
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm in agreement with a few posts here. I can't stand Forrest Gump or Avatar or LA Confidential.

I love Tarrantino although The Hateful Eight was quite underwhelming. I'm glad he's done with the western genre (hardly my favourite). I really enjoyed Pulp, Jackie, Bill 1 (not 2) and Basterds. Django and Reservoir were good too.

Oh, and Alain Delon was a seriously cool chap in his younger days. Silky smooth. Plein Soleil is a really great film (although I prefer the scale of The Talented Mr. Ripley which is one of my all time favourites).
    Birdleson wrote: »
    AVATAR may be the worst film that I have seen in a theatre. Normally I leave a movie I am not enjoying, but I was with a friend that insists on sticking a movie out. Though he ended up disliking it almost as much as I did.

I hate it too @Birdleson. I was blessed to have not seen it at a theater.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 45,489
    AVATAR may be the worst film that I have seen in a theatre. Normally I leave a movie I am not enjoying, but I was with a friend that insists on sticking a movie out. Though he ended up disliking it almost as much as I did.

I hate it too @Birdleson. I was blessed to have not seen it at a theater.

It was excellent in the theatre and in 3d, the visual experience much poorer on a small screen.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,760
    I remember him as Zorro.

Yeah, he was a fine Zorro too. Though that film is pretty decent I do prefer both The Mark of Zorro and The Mask of Zorro.

However, Delon’s magnificent acting abilities are used to the full in his films under JP Melville’s direction and Le samouraï is their finest hour. Definitely recommended for cinephiles.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 6,682
    I liked Avatar but didn't love it. I'm looking forward to the sequels, though.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2017 Posts: 17,687
    Avatar was a totally ok movie. Like Gremlins 2 ok.
    It had a sophianic and gnostic message, which may be lost on most.
  • It had a sophianic and gnostic message, which may be lost on most.

And here I thought I was the only one who really got Gremlins 2.

yeah its pretty shit
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 684
    JACKIE BROWN is magnificent. I like RESERVOIR and PULP. Everything else I'll pass on (yet to see HATEFUL EIGHT).

As for AVATAR I've never act had any interest in seeing it -- in the theater, at home, 2D or otherwise. (I hate the 3D experience.)
    Strog wrote: »
    JACKIE BROWN is magnificent. I like RESERVOIR and PULP. Everything else I'll pass on (yet to see HATEFUL EIGHT).

As for AVATAR I've never act had any interest in seeing it -- in the theater, at home, 2D or otherwise. (I hate the 3D experience.)

I saw the hateful 8 recently, it’s quite slow to get started but once it kicks off it’s pretty good
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

;)
  • chrisisall wrote: »

;)

:D
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

You, sir, are the funniest member on here.

I never liked it. It's too pretentious for me.

I remember the woman I was dating at the time dragged me to it and she thought it was the greatest movie in cinema history. Maybe had we watched it in 3D I might have been dazzled? Nah. It's crap.

With FORREST GUMP, I thought it was massively overrated from the get go. I remember a friend telling me he laughed and cried throughout. I sarcastically remarked that I cried when Christopher Lee gets struck by lightening and killed at the end of SCARS OF DRACULA.
    I appreciate GUMP a bit more now, though.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I remember him as Zorro.

Yeah, he was a fine Zorro too. Though that film is pretty decent I do prefer both The Mark of Zorro and The Mask of Zorro.

However, Delon’s magnificent acting abilities are used to the full in his films under JP Melville’s direction and Le samouraï is their finest hour. Definitely recommended for cinephiles.

I also liked the Frank Langella scene for scene remake of THE MARK OF ZORRO, though Tyrone Power is probably my favorite version.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

yeah its pretty shit

I agree, it’s terrible. I think I gave it 2/10.

@ToTheRight I’ve never seen the Langella remake. Should be my next watch by the look of it.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

yeah its pretty shit

I agree, it’s terrible. I think I gave it 2/10.

@ToTheRight I’ve never seen the Langella remake. Should be my next watch by the look of it.

It's interesting as much of the dialogue is exactly the same as the 1940 film. Ricardo Montalban is great in the Basil Rathbone role. Langella really plays up the foppish side of Diego to fool the villains and his family. He gives a great performance, IMO. The only thing is he lacks a suave mustache, and looks pretty much like he did in Dracula.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Definitely controversial based on previous conversations I had: I think Die Hard 2 is better than the first one and I tend to rewatch it way more often
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Definitely controversial based on previous conversations I had: I think Die Hard 2 is better than the first one

While I don't share that opinion (especially since I find the entire basic premise of DH2 unbelievable), they're not that far apart in quality for me to find your view "controversial". 8/10 for the original vs 7/10 for the sequel.
    I really like them both. Don't watch them each christmas, but better than most christmas movies!
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Definitely controversial based on previous conversations I had: I think Die Hard 2 is better than the first one and I tend to rewatch it way more often

DIE HARD 2 is my favorite film in the series, though the first is probably the most iconic. The 2nd one is a lot of fun and to me feels more Christmas like.